Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2012 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Court Postpones Second Tymoshenko Trial for 3 Weeks RIA Novosti 28 Apr 2012 -- Kharkov's District Court suspended the second trial of former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko until May 21 on Saturday, due to her absence on grounds of poor health, a spokeswoman for Tymoshenko's Batkivshchyna party said.
- On Chernobyl anniversary, Ban urges support for affected communities UN News Centre 26 Apr 2012 -- Marking the 26th anniversary of the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on the international community to generously support Chernobyl-affected regions as they continue their efforts towards recovery and normalcy.
- Work Begins On New Chornobyl Protective Shell RFE/RL 26 Apr 2012 -- Ukraine has begun construction of a new protection shell over the damaged reactor at the Chornobyl nuclear power plant.
- Council of Europe Requests Access to Tymoshenko RIA Novosti 26 Apr 2012 -- The Council of Europe's secretary general, Thorbjorn Jagland, has asked the Ukrainian authorities to allow European diplomats to visit former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko and expressed concerns over reports that prison staff had beaten her up.
- Ukrainian Submarine Sails for Sea Trials RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2012 -- Ukraine's only submarine, the Zaporozhye, has left the port of Sevastopol on the Black Sea for sea trials for the first time after many years of repairs.
- Jailed Ukrainian Ex-Premier Goes on Hunger Strike RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2012 -- Jailed Ukrainian ex-prime minister and opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko has declared a hunger strike in what she said was designed to turn the world's attention to the 'concentration camp of violence and lawlessness' which she said was being created in Ukraine by President Viktor Yanukovych.
- Ukraine Wants to 'Revitalize' Chernobyl Area RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- Ukraine is currently working on an expanded governmental program aimed at sprucing up the contaminated territories adjacent to the crippled Chernobyl nuclear power plant, Prime Minister Mykola Azarov said on Monday.
- Tymoshenko Moved Back to Prison from Kharkov Clinic RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2012 -- Jailed former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko has been moved back to a prison from a clinic in Kharkov, head of the group in defense of the ex-premier and member of the Ukrainian parliament Serhiy Vlasenko said on Sunday.
- Tymoshenko to Miss Court Hearing over Poor Health RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2012 -- Jailed Ukrainian ex-PM Tymoshenko has refused to attend a preliminary court hearing into her other criminal case, citing poor health.
- Ukraine Nuclear Reactor Shuts Down After Electrical Failure RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- A reactor at a nuclear power station in the south of Ukraine has been shut down following an electrical failure.
- Ukraine Wants to Close Yushchenko Poisoning Case RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- Ukrainian prosecutors have substantial grounds to close a criminal case on the alleged poisoning of former president Viktor Yushchenko.
- Yushchenko Faces Probe over Role in Tymoshenko Case RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- Former Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko faces an investigation over his order to close a criminal case against former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
- Tymoshenko to Be Questioned in Murder Case RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- Jailed former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko will be questioned over the 1996 murder of a businessman.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list