Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2011 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ceremonies Mark 25th Anniversary Of Chornobyl Disaster RFE/RL 26 Apr 2011 -- Ceremonies are being held across Ukraine today to mark the 25th anniversary of the Chornobyl nuclear disaster.
- Russian, Ukrainian Leaders Remember Chernobyl Accident VOA 26 Apr 2011 -- Ukrainian Pres. Yanukovych and Russian Pres. Medvedev marked the 25th anniversary of the world's worst nuclear disaster.
- Ukraine Remembers Chernobyl Victims VOA 25 Apr 2011 -- 25 years ago Tuesday when a deadly explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in the former Soviet state led to the worst nuclear disaster in history.
- Chornobyl: A Troubled Health Legacy RFE/RL 25 Apr 2011 -- On April 26, 1986, Chornobyl's nuclear power plant spewed radioactive material across large swathes of Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia.
- Russian Navy will stay in Sevastopol forever - admiral RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2011 -- Russia will never give up its naval base in Ukraine's port of Sevastopol on the Crimean peninsula, ex-commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet Adm. Igor Kasatonov said.
- Ban lauds Ukraine's contributions to global peace and security UN News Centre 21 Apr 2011 -- From its vital support in protecting civilians during the Côte d'Ivoire crisis to its role in combating poverty, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today lauded Ukraine's contributions to peace and security, while adding that its experiences offer useful lessons for emerging democracies in the Arab world.
- At Chernobyl disaster site, Ban stresses need for 'new chapter' for affected region UN News Centre 20 Apr 2011 -- Making the first visit by a United Nations Secretary-General to Chernobyl, the site of the April 1986 nuclear accident, Ban Ki-moon today paid tribute to the many victims of the disaster and called for a 'new chapter' to begin in the areas still affected.
- Ukraine's Tymoshenko, former Naftogaz head questioned by prosecutors RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2011 -- Ukraine's former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko and Oleg Dubina, the former head of Ukraine's state-run gas company Naftogaz were jointly questioned on Wednesday as part of a criminal investigation related to the signing of a gas contract with Russian energy giant Gazprom in 2009.
- Ukraine adopts new anti-tank missile system RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2011 -- The Ukrainian military has adopted a new indigenous anti-tank missile system also capable of destroying low-altitude, slow-moving aerial targets, the Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Donors Pledge Millions For Chornobyl On 25th Anniversary Of Nuclear Disaster RFE/RL 19 Apr 2011 -- Governments and international organizations have pledged about 550 million euros ($780 million) to help Ukraine deal with the aftermath of the world's worst nuclear accident at Chornobyl.
- Ukraine raises $782 mln to spruce up Chernobyl zone - Yanukovych RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2011 -- Ukraine has raised some $782 million for the completion of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant shelter project during an international conference dedicated to the 25th anniversary of the disaster, Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych said on Tuesday.
- Putin urges Ukraine to join new Russian space center project RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2011 -- PM Putin: Ukraine should participate in the construction of the Vostochny Space Center in Russia's Far East.
- Ukraine President Urges Modernization, 'Democratic System' In Annual Address RFE/RL 07 Apr 2011 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych has presented his annual state-of-the-nation address to parliament, emphasizing the need to modernize, combat corruption, and maintain Ukraine's neutral status.