Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2010 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Sevastopol and the Black Sea Fleet: the story goes on RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2010 -- Every last Sunday in July Russia celebrates Navy Day.
- Nine Hurt In Ukraine Church Bombing RFE/RL 28 Jul 2010 -- Ukrainian security forces say a homemade bomb has exploded in a church in Ukraine, wounding nine people on the last day of a controversial visit to the country by Russia's Orthdox Patriarch Kirill.
- Nine injured in church blast in southern Ukraine RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2010 -- At least 9 people were injured as a blast ripped through a church in southern Ukraine on Wednesday, the UNIAN news agency said, citing emergencies officials.
- Russia proposes Ukraine to conduct joint naval drills more often - Navy Commander RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2010 -- Russia proposed Ukraine to conduct joint Russian and Ukrainian naval drills more often, Russian Navy Commander Admiral Vladimir Vysotsky said.
- Putin Promotes Russian Black Sea Fleet On Controversial Ukraine Visit RFE/RL 24 Jul 2010 -- Putin is in Ukraine's Crimea for a two-day visit that is likely to raise tensions over the disputed, predominantly Russian-speaking region.
- Ukraine proposes cutting military by 20% RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2010 -- Ukraine is to downsize its Armed Forces by some 20% to 150,000-160,000 personnel in five years, the government press service said on Thursday.
- Russia, Ukraine to consider joint atomic project RIA Novosti 19 Jul 2010 -- Russian and Ukrainian experts will discuss setting up a joint nuclear generation project on Tuesday, Ukraine's major energy company said.
- Russia to produce Ukrainian-designed passenger jet RIA Novosti 19 Jul 2010 -- Russia will start the production of the Antonov design bureau's An-158 passenger jet in 2011, the head of Ukrainian Motor Sich engine manufacturer said on Monday.
- Ukrainian, NATO ships start Sea Breeze 2010 drills in Black Sea RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2010 -- Fifteen Ukrainian, U.S. and Turkish warships sailed out of Ukraine's Black Sea port of Odessa on Sunday to begin the active phase of the Sea Breeze 2010 exercises, the Ukrainian UNIAN news agency reported.
- Yanukovych Appeals To Obama On Strategic Partnership RFE/RL 14 Jul 2010 -- A foreign policy adviser to Viktor Yanukovych says he will deliver a letter to U.S. President Barack Obama that calls for a strategic partnership.
- Sea Breeze 2010 Kicks Off in Ukraine Navy NewsStand 13 Jul 2010 -- Sea Breeze 2010 officially kicked off with an opening ceremony and combined press conference with senior Ukrainian and U.S. naval leadership.
- Ukraine-NATO military drills to begin on Monday RIA Novosti 12 Jul 2010 -- Ukraine-NATO Sea Breeze military exercises will begin in Ukraine's Black Sea region later on Monday.
- Ex-premier Tymoshenko says Russia swallowing Ukraine RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2010 -- Ukraine risks losing its sovereignty as it is being swallowed by its giant neighbor, Russia, Ukraine's former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko told the BBC Ukrainian Service on Friday.
- Ukraine, NATO to hold Sea Breeze military drills in July RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2010 -- This year's Ukraine-NATO Sea Breeze military exercises will be held in Ukraine's Black Sea region on July 12-23, the country's Defense Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Clinton Tells Ukraine That Door To NATO Remains Open RFE/RL 02 Jul 2010 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton today said the door to NATO membership remains open for Ukraine and that she backs the ex-Soviet republic's efforts to secure a new deal with the International Monetary Fund.