Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2009 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine's Tymoshenko formally registered as presidential contender RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine's prime minister, Yulia Tymoshenko, was formally registered on Saturday as a candidate in the presidential election due on January 17.
- Ukraine Shuts Schools, Bans Public Events Over Flu RFE/RL 30 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine is closing schools, banning all public events, and restricting internal travel for three weeks following the country's first death from H1N1 swine flu.
- Ukraine reports 30 swine flu deaths RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2009 -- Swine flu has been confirmed as the cause of 30 deaths in western Ukraine since October 19, the country's health minister said on Friday.
- Ukraine imposes quarantines to curb swine flu spread RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine will impose a quarantine in nine regions to curb the spread of the swine flu virus, the prime minister said on Friday.
- Putin sees problems emerging with Ukraine paying for Russian gas RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine is again having difficulty paying for Russian natural gas supplies and the EU is not going to lend Kiev money to solve the problems, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Friday.
- Yushchenko registers candidacy in Ukraine presidential election RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine's Central Election Commission on Thursday registered incumbent President Viktor Yushchenko as a candidate for presidential elections scheduled for early next year in the ex-Soviet republic.
- Yanukovych registered as candidate in Ukraine presidential poll RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine's Central Election Commission on Wednesday registered the leader of the opposition Party of Regions, Viktor Yanukovych, as a candidate for presidential elections scheduled for early next year.
- Ukrainian president submits documents to run for 2nd term RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2009 -- President Viktor Yushchenko filed on Tuesday the documents to register as a candidate in Ukraine's upcoming presidential election.
- PM Tymoshenko says 'Ukraine's future is with Europe' RIA Novosti 25 Oct 2009 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, who was officially nominated as candidate for president, told supporters that Kiev could build neighborly relations with Moscow, but its future lay with Europe.
- Tymoshenko Opens Populist Drive For Ukrainian President RFE/RL 25 Oct 2009 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko officially launched her bid for the presidency at a massive populist rally in Kyiv's Independence Square.
- Russia, Ukraine not seeking changes to Black Sea Fleet deal RIA Novosti 23 Oct 2009 -- Neither Russia nor Ukraine seeking to revise terms of an agreement on the presence of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in the Crimea.
- Ukraine's foreign minister says ready to improve ties with Russia RIA Novosti 23 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine is ready to step up dialogue with Russia to improve relations, the country’s foreign minister told his Russian counterpart.
- Ukraine hopes to sign nuclear fuel contract with Russia RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine expects to sign a long-term contract for Russian nuclear fuel supplies before the end of the year.
- Western Ukraine Could Decide Presidential Election Outcome RFE/RL 19 Oct 2009 -- After what is seen as missed opportunities under incumbent President Yushchenko, Ukraine's election campaign has begun.
- Ukraine begins presidential election campaign RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine officially launched on presidential election campaign, the first since the 2004 "orange revolution."
- Russian Black Sea Fleet Objects To Ukrainian Checks RFE/RL 18 Oct 2009 -- In the early morning of October 22, 1963, soldiers of the 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood, Texas, lumbered up with their gear and individual weapons to an assembly of large cargo aircraft from the Military Air Transportation Service
- Ukrainian Envoy, Pentagon Deny U.S.-Kyiv Talks On Missile Defense RFE/RL 16 Oct 2009 -- Ukrainian Embassy in Washington has denied a report that US and Ukrainian officials met to discuss radar stations.
- U.S. considering Ukrainian radar for missile shield - envoy RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2009 -- Possibility of a Ukrainian radar facility being used as part of a US missile defense system is being considered.
- Yushchenko criticizes lack of progress on new Chernobyl cover RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine's president criticized the government for slow pace of the construction of shelter over 4th reactor of Chernobyl plant.
- Yanukovych leads polls ahead of Ukraine's presidential election RIA Novosti 12 Oct 2009 -- Leader of the opposition Party of Regions is leading public opinion polls in Ukraine ahead of presidential election.
- US Denies Plans to Deploy Anti-Missile Radar in Ukraine VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- US has no plans to deploy U.S. radar systems or weaponry in Ukraine, following comments that caused Russia to seek clarification.
- Ukraine denies being asked by U.S. to host missile defense elements RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2009 -- President Yushchenko: Ukraine has not received requests from US to host anti-missile facilities on its soil.
- Ukraine still supplying arms to Georgia - MP RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2009 -- Ukraine continues shipping arms and military equipment to Georgia.
- Ukraine delays signing nuclear fuel deals with Russia - paper RIA Novosti 01 Oct 2009 -- Ukrainian nuclear power plant operator Energoatom has delayed signing nuclear fuel deals with Russia.