Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2008 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia Accuses Ukraine of Blackmail on Gas Transit VOA 31 Dec 2008 -- Russia and Ukraine have ended 2008 with an escalating dispute over gas deliveries through a key pipeline that supplies much of Western Europe. Each side is blaming the other for the dispute.
- Ukraine threatens to seize Russian gas RIA Novosti 31 Dec 2008 -- Ukraine's Naftogaz said Wednesday it could start confiscating Russian natural gas meant for European consumers after January 1 if no new contract is agreed for 2009.
- Ukraine says will pay gas debt to Russia within hours RIA Novosti 30 Dec 2008 -- Ukraine will pay its natural gas debt to Russia within the next few hours, the country's national oil and gas company Naftogaz said on Tuesday.
- Ukraine Threatened Again by Mid-Winter Russian Gas Cutoff VOA 30 Dec 2008 -- Russia's Gazprom energy monopoly is preparing to cut gas supplies to Ukraine if Kyiv does not repay a $2 billion debt by December 31. But Ukrainians dispute the Russian figure, and say they have enough supplies to last through the cold winter months.
- Gazprom continues talks with Ukraine, hopes for deal by yearend RIA Novosti 29 Dec 2008 -- Gazprom is continuing to hold gas talks with Ukraine and hopes to reach an agreement by the yearend to avoid supplies cuts over Kiev's outstanding debts, a deputy CEO at the Russian gas giant said Monday.
- Ukraine president orders Sevastopol base conversion after 2017 RIA Novosti 26 Dec 2008 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko gave on Friday a special governmental working group two months to prepare proposals for the civilian use of the Sevastopol naval base after 2017.
- Medvedev Threatens Ukraine With Sanctions Over Unpaid Gas Bill RFE/RL 25 Dec 2008 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said Ukraine's economy will face "sanctions and demands" from Russia if Kyiv does not pay off its gas debt.
- Medvedev says Russia-Ukraine relations at their lowest level RIA Novosti 24 Dec 2008 -- President Dmitry Medvedev said on Wednesday relations between Russia and Ukraine had plunged to their lowest level in recent years.
- Medvedev urges Ukraine to pay gas debt, threatens cutoff RIA Novosti 24 Dec 2008 -- President Dmitry Medvedev said on Wednesday Ukraine must pay its natural gas debt to Russia in full or otherwise Kiev could face disruptions in supplies.
- Yanukovych, Tymoshenko equal chance of becoming president - poll RIA Novosti 24 Dec 2008 -- Ukraine's prime minister and the leader of the opposition pro-Russian Party of Regions have an equal chance of winning next years' presidential elections, according to a poll published on Wednesday.
- Russia, Ukraine may not sign new gas deal, but Europe unaffected RIA Novosti 24 Dec 2008 -- Gazprom and Ukraine's Naftogaz are unlikely to agree a new gas contract before January 1, but Russian gas supplies to Europe will be unaffected, a spokesman for the Russian gas giant said Wednesday.
- Ukrainian PM Tymoshenko says President Yushchenko must resign RIA Novosti 20 Dec 2008 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko said that President Viktor Yushchenko must resign on Saturday as he is weakening the country's economy on purpose.
- U.S.-Ukrainian Militaries Work to Bring Regional Peace, Stability AFPS 19 Dec 2008 -- American and Ukrainian defense leaders are working together to assist Ukraine in its quest to develop modern, democratically managed armed forces, a senior U.S. military officer said here yesterday.
- Russia, Ukraine to hold talks on Black Sea Fleet base in Q109 RIA Novosti 185Dec 2008 -- Russia and Ukraine have agreed to hold the next round of talks on the future of Russia's naval facilities in the Crimea in February-March 2009, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- Ukrainians Complete Mission in Iraq MNF-I 11 Dec 2008 -- An End of Mission ceremony was held here for the Ukrainian Army, Dec. 9.
- Somali pirates 'to release Ukrainian vessel in next two weeks' RIA Novosti 11 Dec 2008 -- The Ukrainian ship Faina may be released in the next 2 weeks.
- Ukraine seeks role in EU anti-piracy patrols off Somalia RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2008 -- Ukraine expressed desire to join the European Union's naval task force protecting ships in the Gulf of Aden against pirates.
- 'Orange' coalition restored in Ukraine RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2008 -- Newly-elected speaker of the Ukrainian parliament announced revival of the country's pro-Western 'orange' coalition after months of political turmoil.
- Ukraine MP sues defense chief amid tensions over arms to Georgia RIA Novosti 08 Dec 2008 -- A Ukrainian lawmaker who led a commission investigating arms supplies to Georgia plans to sue the defense minister for removing his military titles, the UNIAN news agency reported on Monday.
- Georgia, Ukraine upbeat over NATO cooperation decision RIA Novosti 03 Dec 2008 -- Georgian and Ukrainian officials welcomed on Wednesday NATO's decision to boost ties with the countries, despite the alliance's refusal to admit them to the Membership Action Plan (MAP), seen as a vital step toward membership.
- Tough Medicine Needed For Ukraine's Economic Woes RFE/RL 03 Dec 2008 -- The economic crisis in Ukraine has become a reality: enterprises are halting production, bank branches are going into liquidation, employees are being laid off.
- Ukraine says troop redeployment no threat to Russia RIA Novosti 03 Dec 2008 -- Ukrainian Defense Minister Yuriy Yekhanurov said on Wednesday that the planned redeployment of troops closer to the country's borders did not threaten Russia.
- Ukraine says troops could serve in NATO reaction force in 2011 RIA Novosti 03 Dec 2008 -- Certain units of Ukraine's armed forces could take part in the first rotations of NATO reaction forces and EU tactical units starting in 2011, the chief of the Ukrainian General Staff said Wednesday.
- NATO Affirms Ukraine, Georgia Ties, Agrees To Resume Russia Contacts RFE/RL 02 Dec 2008 -- NATO foreign ministers, meeting in Brussels, have reiterated a commitment that Georgia and Ukraine will eventually join the trans-Atlantic alliance, but held off on granting the two countries formal Membership Action Plans at this time/li>
- NATO Foreign Ministers Meet To Consider Georgian, Ukrainian Bids RFE/RL 02 Dec 2008 -- Eight months ago at its summit in Bucharest, a deeply divided NATO alliance postponed a tough decision on giving Georgia and Ukraine a formal road map to membership
- Ukraine moves to join Russia's uranium enrichment project RIA Novosti 01 Dec 2008 -- The Ukrainian government approved on Monday a draft agreement with Russia and Kazakhstan on involvement in the work of an international uranium enrichment facility in East Siberia.