Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2008 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Yushchenko And Bush Meet On NATO, Bilateral Ties RFE/RL 30 Sep 2008 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko has met with U.S. counterpart George W. Bush to discuss Ukraine's possible path to NATO against a backdrop of a resurgent Russia that has been eager to assert its interests regarding fledgling democracies in its former sphere of influence
- Ukraine faces early poll as pro-West camp struggles for new deal RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2008 -- The dissolution of Ukraine's parliament and early elections likely as pro-Western forces have failed to form a new coalition.
- Bush to meet with Ukrainian, Lithuanian presidents RIA Novosti 29 Sep 2008 -- US President George Bush will hold separate meetings in Washington on Monday with his Ukrainian and Lithuanian counterparts.
- Russian fleet's pullout from Crimea not discussed at Ukraine talks RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2008 -- Moscow and Kiev did not discuss the Russian Navy leaving Sevastopol during talks on the Black Sea Fleet.
- Ukraine, Russia to hold new round of talks on Black Sea Fleet RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2008 -- Ukrainian and Russian delegations will hold a new round of discussions on Thursday in Kiev on the role of Russia's Crimean naval base in the Georgia conflict, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said.
- Russia may have to pay Ukraine $2 bln for Sevastopol base lease RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2008 -- Russia may have to pay $1.5-2 billion a year to Ukraine for the lease of the Sevastopol naval base, if the Black Sea Fleet stays there after 2017, a Russian expert close to talks said on Thursday.
- Ukrainian Leader Cautiously Condemns Russian Aggression VOA 24 Sep 2008 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko has denounced Russia's recent military incursion into Georgia, and Moscow's ongoing armed occupation of Georgian territory.
- Ukraine's Gold-Plaited Comeback Kid RFE/RL 23 Sep 2008 -- Charismatic, prone to giggling, and fond of chic clothing, Yulia Tymoshenko is a woman of grand gestures.
- Russia could order aircraft carriers from Ukraine - MP RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2008 -- Moscow may offer Ukraine contracts to build aircraft carriers for the Russian Navy, a Russian MP told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
- USNS Pathfinder Wraps up Black Sea Mission Navy Newsstand 21 Sep 2008 -- Survey ship USNS Pathfinder in Sevastopol, Ukraine, to celebrate the completion of the ship's capabilities demonstration
- Ukraine, Russia to discuss Black Sea Fleet by end of Sep RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2008 -- Moscow and Kiev will discuss the issue of Russia's Black Sea Fleet base in Ukraine by the end of September.
- Ukraine's Future In Doubt As 'Orange' Coalition Dissolved RFE/RL 16 Sep 2008 -- Ukraine, which has spent much of the past four years mired in political squabbles, has once again cast its democratic future in doubt with the formal dissolution of its governing coalition.
- Ukrainian Coalition Collapses Amid Political Infighting VOA 16 Sep 2008 -- Political infighting has led to the collapse of Ukraine's governing coalition, raising the prospect of difficult negotiations to form a new government or a third parliamentary election in as many years
- Ukraine's pro-Western ruling coalition dissolved RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2008 -- Ukraine's parliamentary speaker announced on Tuesday the collapse of the country's ruling pro-Western coalition, paving the way for possible early parliamentary elections.
- Ukraine major arms supplier to Georgia - Russia's military RIA Novosti 13 Sep 2008 -- Ukraine was the leading arms supplier to Georgia prior to its conflict with Russia over South Ossetia last month, the deputy chief of Russia's General Staff told an international forum on Saturday.
- Statement of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Russian-Ukrainian Relations Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 11 Sep 2008
- EU Turns Attention To Ukraine RFE/RL 09 Sep 2008 -- EU leaders have shifted gears from the Russia-Georgia conflict to relations with another nearby state in the shadow of a resurgent Russia as they begin key talks in Paris with Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko.
- Ukraine to close radar station used by Russia RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2008 -- Ukraine is to shut down a radar facility in the west of the country currently being used by Russia, a national space agency official said on Tuesday.
- Ukraine's 'European' Status To Remain Elusive At Summit RFE/RL 08 Sep 2008 -- It appears that Ukraine and its supporters within the EU have lost the argument -- this time around, at least.
- Ukraine presidential party urges united front against Russia RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2008 -- The Our Ukraine party, headed by the country's president, is urging democratic factions to defend the country's interests against "Moscow's plotting," the UNIAN agency said on Monday.
- Tymoshenko dismisses president's state treason claims RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2008 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko categorically denied all allegations of treason and corruption on Monday made against her by the country's president.
- Ukraine PM speaks against conflict over Russia's Black Sea Fleet RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2008 -- Ukraine's Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko pledged on Monday to prevent any conflict over Russia's Black Sea Fleet base in Sevastopol on the Crimean peninsula, despite pressure from the country's president.
- U.S. Vice President Pledges Support For Ukraine RFE/RL 05 Sep 2008 -- U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney is in Kyiv, his latest stop on a tour aimed at showing support for U.S. allies after Russia's conflict with Georgia last month.
- Ukrainian Political Feud Has Implications for Moscow VOA 05 Sep 2008 -- U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney's trip to Ukraine is viewed as a signal of American support for that country's pro-Western and pro-NATO government
- Ukraine highly values strategic ties with U.S. - Yushchenko RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2008 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko told U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney on Friday that he greatly values the strategic bilateral relationship between Kiev and Washington.
- Ukraine to hold air defense drills with live firing in September RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2008 -- Ukraine is planning to conduct large-scale air defense exercises with live firing on the Crimean peninsula at the end of September, a Ukrainian navy source said on Thursday.
- Has Ukraine's Orange Coalition Reached Point Of No Return? RFE/RL 05 Sep 2008 -- In announcing the collapse of the coalition government formed by the Yulia Tymoshenko Bloc and the Our Ukraine-People's Self-Defense bloc, Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko accused his Orange Revolution ally of joining forces with rival parties, while some of his aides suggested that Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko might have even betrayed national interests.
- Ukraine parliament speaker says ruling coalition dead RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2008 -- The Ukrainian parliamentary speaker said on Thursday the Our Ukraine party, headed by the country's president was pulling out of the pro-western ruling coalition after just nine months in power.
- US Vice President in Ukraine VOA 04 Sep 2008 -- U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney has arrived in Ukraine as part of a tour of several former Soviet republics, amid an escalating standoff with Russia over its operations in Georgia.
- Ukraine President Threatens To Dissolve Parliament RFE/RL 03 Sep 2008 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko has threatened to dissolve parliament following the collapse of the pro-Western ruling coalition.
- Resisting The Ukrainian Borg RFE/RL 03 Sep 2008
- Ukraine's president accuses coalition of coup RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2008 -- The Ukrainian president accused on Wednesday the country's prime minister and opposition parties of attempting a constitutional coup and threatened to dissolve parliament if a new coalition was not formed.
- Ukraine's presidential party quits ruling coalition RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2008 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko's party officially pulled out of the ruling pro-Western coalition on Wednesday amid a government dispute over presidential powers and the Georgia-Russia conflict.
- Ukraine, NATO start military drills in Poland RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2008 -- A joint Ukrainian-Polish-British tactical exercise began on Tuesday at the Nova Demba military training grounds in Poland, the Ukrainian Defense Ministry said.