Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2008 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine denies giving military aid to Georgia RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2008 -- The Ukrainian Defense Ministry categorically denied on Friday that Ukrainian military experts are helping to rebuild Georgia's army communications network, damaged in a five-day conflict with Russia.
- Former NATO Official Sees 'Zero' Russian Military Threat Against Ukraine RFE/RL 28 Aug 2008 -- Western officials have recently expressed concern that Ukraine could follow Georgia as the next target of Russian intervention.
- One wounded in fire at Ukrainian munitions depot RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2008 -- At least one person was wounded in Wednesday's fire at a military depot in eastern Ukraine, which spread to an ammunition dump and triggered a series of explosions, local authorities said on Thursday.
- Diplomatic Standoff Over Georgia Heads To Kyiv, Dushanbe RFE/RL 27 Aug 2008 -- The diplomatic standoff over Moscow's conflict with Tbilisi looks set to move to two other capitals today, amid Western condemnation of Russia's recognition of Georgia's two rebel regions.
- Fears That Crimea Could Be Next Flashpoint For Conflict With Russia RFE/RL 24 Aug 2008 -- Ukrainian fighter jets swooped low over the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, and tanks and armored personnel carriers rumbled along the city's main Khreschatyk Boulevard on August 24 as part of the country's Independence Day celebrations.
- Russia's Mirazh corvette returns to Sevastopol naval base RIA Novosti 22 Aug 2008 -- Russia's Mirazh guided missile corvette returned to Black Sea Fleet base at Sevastopol after patrolling waters off the Georgian coast.
- Ukraine says Russia should prepare to leave Crimea naval base RIA Novosti 21 Aug 2008 -- Ukraine's foreign minister: Russia should start preparing to withdraw its Black Sea Fleet from the Sevastopol base.
- Ukraine to let Russian ships return to Sevastopol base RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2008 -- Ukraine will not prevent Russian Black Sea Fleet ships involved in a operation in Georgia from returning to base.
- Ukraine proposes drafting Black Sea fleet deal with Russia RIA Novosti 15 Aug 2008 -- Ukraine's President Viktor Yushchenko sent an urgent proposal to Russia on Friday to draft a bilateral agreement on the Russian Black Sea fleet deployed in Ukraine.
- Ukrainian Envoy Says Georgia A 'Lesson For Ukraine' RFE/RL 15 Aug 2008 -- A Ukrainian government official has called on the European Union to help Kyiv avoid a "security vacuum" like the one that led to the current conflict between Russia and Georgia.
- Is Ukraine Prepared To Maintain Its Tough Stand Against Russia? RFE/RL 15 Aug 2008 -- As the world watches the ongoing conflict between Moscow and Tbilisi, many eyes have turned to Ukraine -- a country which, like Georgia, has struggled to break free of Russia's post-Soviet embrace.
- Could Ukraine Become Russia's Next Target? VOA 15 Aug 2008 -- The former Soviet republics of Georgia and Ukraine are allies engaged in similar attempts to establish democratic rule, to join NATO and realign themselves with the West, much to the displeasure of Russia
- Ukraine Ready To Work With West On Missile Defense RFE/RL 16 Aug 2008 -- Ukraine says it is ready to make its missile warning systems available for Western countries after Russia announced it was pulling out of a long-term missile defense agreement.
- Ukraine seeks integration into European missile defense RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2008 -- Ukraine may integrate its early warning missile system with Europe or propose other countries use its missile defense capabilities, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said Saturday.