Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2008 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine-NATO exercise successful despite protests - navy chief RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2008 -- Despite protest rallies, the annual Ukraine-NATO Sea Breeze military exercises went according to plan, the Ukrainian navy chief said on Monday.
- Russia wants Black Sea Fleet in Ukraine after 2017 - Navy chief RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2008 -- Russia would like to keep the Black Sea Fleet base in Ukraine's port of Sevastopol after 2017, the Russian Navy commander said Friday.
- Ukraine urges start to preparations for Russian fleet pullout RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2008 -- Ukraine's president said Thursday that preparations for the withdrawal by 2017 of Russia's Black Sea Fleet from Ukrainian territory should begin now.
- Ukraine parliament to discuss Russian fleet pullout preparations RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2008 -- A bill on preparing for the Russian Black Sea Fleet's withdrawal from Ukraine's Crimea by 2017 is ready and will soon be submitted to the Ukrainian parliament, the country's foreign minister said on Tuesday.
- EU Debates Ukraine's Credentials RFE/RL 22 Jul 2008
- Ukrainian opposition party blocks NATO ships in Crimea RIA Novosti 21 Jul 2008 -- A Ukrainian opposition party has prevented foreign warships participating in a NATO naval exercise from leaving the Black Sea port of Odessa, the Bratstvo (Brotherhood) press service said on Monday.
- Merkel visits Ukraine, encourages its NATO ambitions RIA Novosti 21 Jul 2008 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel reassured Ukraine on Monday that it will eventually join NATO, and said no countries should influence its decision.
- Russia concerned over U.S.-Ukraine Black Sea military exercises RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry voiced on Friday its concerns over the U.S.-Ukrainian Sea Breeze naval exercises currently underway in the Black Sea.
- Moscow refuses to extradite Yushchenko poisoning suspect to Kiev RIA Novosti
- 16 Jul 2008 -- Russia has refused to extradite a former Ukrainian security service deputy head suspected of involvement in the poisoning of President Viktor Yushchenko in 2004, Ukraine's Prosecutor General's Office said Wednesday.
- NATO military exercise begins in Ukraine RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2008 -- Sea Breeze 2008, a NATO military exercise, will begin on Monday in Ukraine's Odessa region, the Crimea, and Black Sea coastal regions.
- Ukraine to host NATO-led Sea Breeze drills despite protests RIA Novosti 09 Jul 2008 -- A NATO-led tactical exercise will be held in Ukraine on July 14-26 despite possible protests from locals opposed to the country's drive to join the alliance, Ukraine's defense minister said on Wednesday.
- Ukraine offers to build new cruise missile engines for Russia RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2008 -- Motor Sich, Ukraine's largest manufacturer of aircraft and rocket engines, has offered Russia to manufacture a new engine for Russian cruise missiles, the head of the company said on Saturday.
- Russia, Ukraine Discuss Contentious Energy, Security Issues VOA 01 Jul 2008 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin met with his Ukrainian counterpart Yulia Tymoshenko in Moscow on Saturday to discuss controversial economic and military issues that have raised tensions between their two countries