Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2008 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia's Putin warns Ukraine over plans to join NATO RIA Novosti 28 Jun 2008 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin warned Ukraine over its plans to join NATO and said Russia would transfer its space and hi-tech facilities to domestic soil, if the ex-Soviet republic enters the alliance.
- Russia may propose that Kiev raise Black Sea Fleet rent RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2008 -- Moscow may propose that Ukraine raises the rent for Russia's Black Sea Fleet base in the Crimean peninsula after the current agreement expires in 2017, a Russian deputy foreign minister said in an interview on Monday.
- Russia's Black Sea Fleet does not threaten Ukrainian sovereignty RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2008 -- The presence of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Sevastopol is no threat to Ukraine's sovereignty, Russia's deputy prime minister said during celebrations to mark the city's 225th anniversary on Saturday.
- Ukraine to take part in NATO Response Force RIA Novosti 13 Jun 2008 -- Ukraine will contribute to the NATO Response Force as a partner country, NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said on Friday.
- Ukraine concerned over Russia's chemical disposal plant RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- Ukraine is concerned over a Russian chemical weapons disposal plant currently being constructed 70 km (43 miles) away from its borders, the country's foreign minister said on Wednesday.
- Russia Warns Ukraine, Georgia Over Seeking NATO Membership VOA 06 Jun 2008 -- Russia is warning of negative consequences if Ukraine and Georgia join the NATO defense alliance
- Russia warns Ukraine over NATO, Black Sea Fleet dispute RIA Novosti 06 Jun 2008 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev told his Ukrainian counterpart on Friday that Kiev's plans to join NATO run counter to the bilateral treaty on friendship, Russia's foreign minister said on Friday.
- Ukraine admits 'insignificant' nuclear plant leak RIA Novosti 06 Jun 2008 -- Ukraine's state nuclear power utility Energoatom has admitted that a small leak occurred at water-moderated reactor in the country's northwest on May 29, but said no radioactive materials were released.
- Georgia, Ukraine ready to join NATO - Ukrainian defense minister RIA Novosti 05 Jun 2008 -- Georgia and Ukraine are ready to join NATO, the Ukrainian defense minister said on Thursday at a military base in eastern Georgia while on a two-day visit to the South Caucasus country.
- Ukraine says Russia cannot have more warships in Crimea RIA Novosti 04 Jun 2008 -- The agreement between Ukraine and Russia on the stationing of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in the Crimea does not allow any increase in the number of warships, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- NATO secretary general to discuss Ukraine's membership bid in Ukraine RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2008 -- NATO's secretary general will discuss Ukraine's bid to join the alliance's Membership Action Plan (MAP) at a North Atlantic Council meeting in Kiev on June 16-17, a deputy head of the presidential secretariat said on Tuesday.