May 2008 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukrainian security services arrest Chernobyl scrap metal thieves RIA Novosti 30 May 2008 -- The Ukrainian Security Service said Friday it has arrested a gang involved in stealing and selling radioactive scrap metal and timber from the country's nuclear disaster stricken Chernobyl.
- Russian diplomat says Black Sea Fleet poses no threat to Ukraine RIA Novosti 28 May 2008 -- Russia's Black Sea Fleet based in Sevastopol does not pose any threat to Ukraine's national security, a senior Russian diplomat said on Wednesday.
- Ukraine reaffirms wish to join NATO, says no threat to Russia RIA Novosti 27 May 2008 -- The Ukrainian president reaffirmed his country's aspiration to join NATO while on a three-day visit to Canada and thanked the Canadian parliament for its support of Kiev's bid.
- Speaker says Russia likely to contest ownership of Sevastopol RIA Novosti 26 May 2008 -- Sergei Mironov, speaker of the upper house of Russia's parliament, said on Monday Russia could claim back Sevastopol, a Russian naval base on Ukraine's Crimean peninsula.
- Ukraine: Confounding 'Orange' Hopes, Eccentric Incumbent Set To Win In Early Mayoral Vote RFE/RL 26 May 2008 -- After an unusually long and heated campaign, Kyiv residents have chosen a mayor from among about 70 candidates on a list so long that the ballot paper measured about a meter in length.
- Ukraine demands closure of Russian base in Crimea in 2017 RIA Novosti 21 May 2008 -- The Ukrainian President has signed a decree ordering the Cabinet to prepare by July 20 a draft law on terminating all international agreements on the presence of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Ukraine.