Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2008 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia upper house scraps early-warning radar deal with Ukraine RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2008 -- Russia's upper house of parliament voted Wednesday to cancel an agreement with Ukraine on early warning and space monitoring systems, citing inadequate technical support by Ukraine for radar facilities.
- Russia reiterates concern over Ukraine's desire to join NATO RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2008 -- Russia is concerned over Ukraine's drive to join NATO, which may seriously harm Russian-Ukrainian relations, the Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
- Russia terminates early-warning radar agreement with Ukraine RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2008 -- Russian lawmakers terminated on Friday an agreement with Ukraine on early warning and space monitoring systems, citing Ukraine's failure to provide adequate technical support to radar facilities located on its territory.
- Ukraine's Communists to protest against drive for NATO in Feb RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- The Communist Party of Ukraine plans to hold a public protest in February against moves by the country's leadership to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the party's press service said.
- Over half of Ukrainians against joining NATO - survey RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- Over 50% of Ukrainians would vote against joining the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, according to a survey carried out by the country's Democratic Initiatives foundation.
- Construction of new Chernobyl shelter to start in spring RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- The construction of a huge new protective cover for the Chernobyl reactor, the site of the world's worst nuclear disaster, will start this spring, Ukraine's emergencies ministry said on Thursday.
- Russia and Ukraine keep fee for Sevastopol base unchanged RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- Russia and Ukraine have agreed to keep the rent for Russia's base in Sevastopol unchanged, Russia's deputy foreign minister said between sessions of a joint subcommittee on the Black Sea base on Thursday.
- Russia Again Warns Ukraine on NATO Plans VOA 22 Jan 2008 -- Russia is again warning Ukraine that any move to join NATO will "seriously" complicate bilateral ties and force Moscow to take "appropriate action."
- Russia to respond 'appropriately' to Ukrainian NATO membership RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2008 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday that the country would have to take "appropriate measures" if Ukraine were to join NATO.
- Ukraine set to propose 'concrete steps' for NATO membership RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2008 -- Ukrainian Defense Minister Yuriy Yekhanurov proposed during a meeting with a top NATO official on Tuesday concrete steps aimed at strengthening cooperation with the 26-nation alliance.
- Ukraine will not join NATO without referendum - PM Tymoshenko RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2008 -- A decision on whether Ukraine should join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization will only be taken through a referendum, the country's prime minister said on Saturday.
- Ukraine to cull 25,000 birds in bird flu outbreak RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2008 -- All 25,000 birds at a Ukrainian poultry farm in north Crimea are to be slaughtered following the outbreak of bird flu, a spokesman for the local Emergency Situations Ministry said on Friday.
- Ukraine wants talks on Russian naval base withdrawal - FM RIA Novosti 12 Jan 2008 -- Ukraine's foreign minister said on Saturday that the government wants to start talks to prepare the withdrawal of a Russia naval base from Ukraine.
- Russia says cannot make dioxin used in Yushchenko poisoning RIA Novosti 12 Jan 2008 -- Russian prosecutors claim dioxin of the quality found in the Ukrainian president's blood is not produced in Russia, Ukrainian news agency UNIAN said on Saturday.