Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2007 Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Ukraine insists on Russian naval base withdrawal by 2017 RIA Novosti 30 May 2007 -- Ukraine's defense minister reiterated Wednesday that Russia must withdraw its naval base from Ukraine's Crimea Autonomy by 2017, in compliance with a previous bilateral agreement.
- Ukraine: For Reunited Parliament, Even Two Days Together Is Too Much RFE/RL 30 May 2007 -- The political standoff between Ukraine's president and parliament appears to be subsiding -- but not without problems.
- Ukrainian Rivals Agree To Hold September Elections RFE/RL 27 May 2007 -- After days of rising political tensions in Ukraine and concerns over the possible use of force, the country's leaders have reached an agreement to settle their long-standing dispute.
- Ukraine President And Prime Minister Agree On Election Date, September 30 VOA 27 May 2007 -- Ukrainian political rivals President Victor Yushchenko and Prime Minister Victor Yanukovich have agreed to hold early parliamentary elections on September 30
- Ukrainian Police Converge On Kyiv As Talks Resume RFE/RL 26 May 2007 -- More than 2,000 Ukrainian Interior Ministry troops loyal to President Viktor Yushchenko have been sent to Kyiv, where Yushchenko and rival Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych are holding crisis talks
- Ukraine interior ministry says troops move to Kiev RIA Novosti 26 May 2007 -- The Ukrainian interior minister said Saturday a part of interior troops is moving to Kiev, the capital of Ukraine, ignoring his order to remain their disposition.
- Ukraine President, Prime Minister Hold Talks to Resolve Escalating Political Crisis VOA 26 May 2007 -- Ukraine's president and prime minister are set to resume talks Saturday aimed at resolving the escalating political crisis in the former Soviet republic
- Ukraine: Face-Off Over Prosecutor Heightens Political Crisis RFE/RL 25 May 2007 -- On May 24, President Viktor Yushchenko fired Prosecutor-General Svyatoslav Piskun. Piskun initially left his office, but then changed his mind and forced his way back in, amid scuffles pitting his bodyguards against officers of the State Protection Directorate.
- Ukraine: Crisis Deepens As President Calls For Control Of Interior Ministry Troops RFE/RL 25 May 2007 -- President Viktor Yushchenko today placed the country's Interior Ministry troops under his control as the country's political crisis intensified.
- Yushchenko signs decree to take control over interior troops RIA Novosti 25 May 2007 -- Ukraine's president signed Friday a decree to make the country's Interior Ministry troops directly subordinate to him, removing them from the ministry's jurisdiction.
- Yushchenko Fires Ukraine's Prosecutor-General RFE/RL 24 May 2007 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko has fired Prosecutor-General Svyatoslav Piskun, deepening the country's political cris
- Ukraine's Rada warns President Yushchenko may usurp power RIA Novosti 24 May 2007 -- Ukraine's Supreme Rada passed a resolution Thursday warning of a possible usurpation of power in the country by President Viktor Yushchenko.
- Ukraine: Progress Toward Early Elections Remains Unsure RFE/RL 10 May 2007 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych has announced that he has agreed with President Victor Yushchenko to hold early elections in order to overcome the current political standoff in Ukraine.
- Ukraine's Anti-Crisis Election Group Reconvenes VOA 08 May 2007 -- The anti-crisis group set up to work out legal mechanisms for early parliamentary elections in Ukraine has reconvened in the capital, Kyiv
- Coalition, opposition in Ukraine disagree on early election date RIA Novosti 07 May 2007 -- Ukraine's ruling coalition in parliament and the pro-presidential opposition party are debating a date for early elections, which the president and the premier agreed upon last week.
- Election Agreement Offers Way Out Of Ukrainian Standoff RFE/RL 05 May 2007 -- An agreement to hold early parliamentary elections has been reached in Ukraine, opening the way for the country to emerge from a bitter political standoff.
- Ukraine crisis can still be solved through talks - PM RIA Novosti 03 May 2007 -- The political crisis gripping Ukraine can still be resolved through talks, the prime minister said Thursday.
- Yushchenko dismisses 2nd Const. Court judge in two days RIA Novosti 01 May 2007 -- Ukraine's president dismissed a second Constitutional Court judge in two days Tuesday for "violating her oath," the presidential press office said.