Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2007 Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Thousands Participate In Rival Rallies In Kyiv RFE/RL 31 Mar 2007 -- Several thousand Ukrainians held rival rallies in Kyiv today as a political dispute between President Viktor Yushchenko and Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych deepened.
- Protests Expected In Ukraine Despite Court Ban RFE/RL 31 Mar 2007 -- Rival protests by supporters of the Ukrainian opposition and backers of the ruling coalition are expected in Kyiv today amid tensions over a threat by President Viktor Yushchenko to dissolve parliament.
- Ukrainian president says ready to dissolve parliament RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2007 -- Ukraine's president said Saturday he will hold consultations with the leadership of the country's parliament and parliamentary factions Monday to discuss possible parliament dissolution.
- Ukraine: Yushchenko Suggests He May Dissolve Parliament RFE/RL 29 Mar 2007 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko, cast into the opposition by a parliamentary coalition led by his chief political rival, today suggested he may dissolve the Verkhovna Rada
- Ukraine as yet unprepared to join NATO - PM RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2007 -- Ukraine is not yet ready to join NATO, the prime minister said Tuesday.
- NATO to help Ukraine with security reform RIA Nvosti 26 Mar 2007 -- NATO member countries will assist Ukraine to reform its defense and security sector, John Colston, NATO Assistant Secretary General for Defense Policy and Planning, told a news conference Monday.
- Ukraine's Rada concerned over missile shield placement in Europe RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2007 -- Ukraine's parliament issued a statement Thursday expressing concerns over the possible deployment of U.S. missile defense elements in Central Europe.
- Ukraine not ready for missile shield placement - president RIA Novosti 21 Mar 2007 -- Ukraine should not make any hasty decisions on the placement of a missile shield on its territory until a common global approach to this issue has been developed, President Viktor Yushchenko said Wednesday.
- Ukraine government to report on missile shield to parliament RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2007 -- Ukraine's parliament is planning Wednesday to hear reports by the Defense Ministry and Foreign Ministry about the possible deployment of missile-defense systems on Ukrainian soil, a deputy parliament speaker said Monday.
- EU Unveils $650 Million Aid Package for Ukraine VOA 07 Mar 2007 -- The European Commission has announced a nearly $650 million aid package for Ukraine over the next four years, to help Kyiv enact European Union-backed political and economic reforms.
- U.S. House of Reps. approves NATO entry for Georgia and Ukraine RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2007 -- A U.S. House of Representatives majority approved a bill Tuesday providing support and funding for Ukraine and Georgia's membership to NATO.
- Ukraine PM wants U.S. to discuss radar deployment with Kiev RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2007 -- Ukraine's premier said his country opposed unilateral decisions on global security systems and wanted to discuss the issue with the United States.
- Georgia, Ukraine leaders eye joint peacekeeping force RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2007 -- The pro-western presidents of Georgia and Ukraine are considering the creation of a joint peacekeeping force, the Georgian foreign minister said Thursday.