Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2021 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- PM pledges ¬£50 million to UN Afghanistan appeal UK FCDO 31 Oct 2021 -- The PM will call on G20 leaders today to do more to support girls' education around the world.
- Johnson threatens to trigger trade dispute action against France next week Press TV 31 Oct 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson warns he could trigger a trade dispute mechanism against France, amid a post-Brexit fishing dispute which has sent diplomatic relations between Paris and London into freefall.
- Joint Statement by the President of France Emmanuel Macron, Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland Boris Johnson, and President of the United States Joseph R. Biden, Jr. on Iran The White House 30 Oct 2021
- UK donates 20 million more Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines to countries in need UK FCDO 30 Oct 2021 -- New donation to be delivered by the end of 2021 as part of UK's 100 million commitment.
- Biden, EU Leaders Urge Iran To Return To Nuclear Talks To Prevent 'Dangerous Escalation' RFE/RL 30 Oct 2021 -- The leaders of the United States, Germany, France and Britain on October 30 called on Iran to return to nuclear talks and resume compliance with the 2015 nuclear accord to prevent a "dangerous escalation."
- UK to sell naval ships to Egypt for first time in 30 years Press TV 30 Oct 2021 -- The UK government has planned to conclude an agreement with Egypt for the sale of two ex-Royal Fleet Auxiliary solid stores ships for the first time in more than 30 years, a deal criticized by human rights groups.
- Chinese, Indonesia FMs voice serious concerns over AUKUS nuclear submarine deal People's Daily 30 Oct 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi and his Indonesia counterpart Retno Marsudi met here Friday, vowing to enhance bilateral ties and voicing serious concerns over the AUKUS nuclear submarine deal.
- The need for Mali's transitional authorities to deliver a timely return to constitutional rule UK FCDO 29 Oct 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council briefing on Mali.
- Xinjiang, Hong Kong and Tibet: Dialogue with UN Human Rights UK FCDO 29 Oct 2021 -- UK Statement at the Interactive Dialogue with Assistant Secretary General for Human Rights Ilze Brands Kehris
- Biden Acknowledges AUKUS Deal Rollout Was 'Clumsy' VOA 29 Oct 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden launched his whirlwind European diplomatic tour on a conciliatory note, saying Friday that the rollout of a security deal between the United States, Britain and Australia that cut out longtime ally France was "clumsy."
- UK warns could board more French boats in fishing dispute Press TV 29 Oct 2021 -- The UK has warned France over the seizure of a British scallop dredger in French territorial waters, saying London could order the boarding of more French vessels in retaliation for the move.
- Europe Minister summons French Ambassador UK FCDO 29 Oct 2021 -- French Ambassador to the UK summoned to FCDO over threats made against the UK and Channel Islands
- Report by OSCE's Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine: UK response UK FCDO 28 Oct 2021 -- UK Ambassador Bush thanks Ambassador Villadsen for PCU's work on mitigating the impacts of the conflict, dialogue promotion and rule of law and human rights.
- UK on closure of the OSCE Border Observer Mission UK FCDO 28 Oct 2021 -- Ambassador Bush thanks Ambassador Varga for the valuable reporting of OSCE's Border Observer Mission at 2 checkpoints along the Ukrainian-Russian state border.
- UK-Canada Naval Training Pact Reflects Rising Interest in Arctic VOA 28 Oct 2021 -- British sailors will begin training aboard Canadian icebreakers in a new agreement that reflects the United Kingdom's heightened interest in developing a more robust Arctic military capability.
- Impact of Brexit on UK economy 'worse than Covid': OBR Press TV 28 Oct 2021 -- The impact of Brexit on the UK economy will be worse in the long run compared to the Covid pandemic, according to the chairman of the UK fiscal watchdog.
- UK warns France of 'appropriate and calibrated' response over post-Brexit fishing row Press TV 28 Oct 2021 -- The UK government has warned that French threats to disrupt British trade by blocking its trawlers will be met with an "appropriate and calibrated" response.
- Joint Statement on Media Freedom Coalition on Media Freedom in Russia US Dept. of State 28 Oct 2021 -- The following is the text of a joint statement signed by the governments of Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States of America.
- Indo-UK Tri-Service Exercise 'Konkan Shakti 2021' Concludes India PIB 28 Oct 2021 -- The maiden bilateral tri-service exercise, Konkan Shakti 21, between the armed forces of India and the UK culminated in the Arabian Sea on 27 October 2021.
- France sets ultimatum, prepares sanctions for UK in fishing rights dispute Press TV 27 Oct 2021 -- France has threatened to retaliate in the wake of Britain's refusal to offer more permits for French fishermen working in British inshore waters.
- Urging the Syrian regime to put the Syrian people ahead of its own survival UK FCDO 27 Oct 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria.
- British Court to Rule on US Extradition of Wikileaks' Julian Assange VOA 26 Oct 2021 -- A British court will consider this week whether Julian Assange, founder of the Wikileaks website, can be extradited to the United States on charges of hacking and theft. The two-day hearing is scheduled to begin Wednesday in London's high court.
- Sea phase of India-UK maiden Tri-Service exercise 'Konkan Shakti 2021' in full swing India PIB 26 Oct 2021 -- The sea phase of maiden Tri-Service exercise 'Konkan Shakti 2021' between the Armed Forces of India and United Kingdom (UK) is being held off the Konkan coast in the Arabian Sea. On completion of harbour planning phase, the sea phase of the exercise commenced on October 24, 2021. It will continue till October 27, 2021.
- UK and Greece agree closer collaboration, October 2021 UK FCDO 25 Oct 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Liz Truss signed the UK-Greece Strategic Bilateral Framework with Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias.
- Human rights situation in Belarus: joint statement UK FCDO 25 Oct 2021 -- On behalf of 46 countries, the Lithuanian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Rytis Paulauskas gave a cross-regional statement at Third Committee.
- UK records another 44,985 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- Another 44,985 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 8,734,934, according to official figures released Saturday.
- China strongly opposes British official's irresponsible remarks on HK affairs: embassy People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- A spokesperson for the Chinese Embassy in Britain on Friday voiced strong opposition to the "irresponsible remarks" recently made by British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss on Hong Kong affairs.
- UK and EU 'still far apart' over Northern Ireland deal Press TV 24 Oct 2021 -- The United Kingdom and the European Union remain "far apart" on crucial issues surrounding the Northern Ireland Protocol.
- RAF airlifts 102 people who have left Afghanistan to the UK UK MOD 23 Oct 2021 -- The RAF has airlifted over 102 people who had already left Afghanistan from a neighbouring third country.
- 'Think twice' about AUKUS, China's foreign minister tells UK Press TV 23 Oct 2021 -- China's foreign minister has urged Britain to "think twice" about its trilateral military pact with the United States and Australia, which will allow Canberra to acquire nuclear-powered submarines.
- AUKUS, China Sea Tensions Put Indonesia in Tight Spot, Analysts Say VOA 23 Oct 2021 -- Heightened Sino-Australian tensions over the new AUKUS agreement calling for the sharing of U.S. nuclear submarine technology with Australia, along with China's naval expansionism in the South China Sea, have left Indonesia with a delicate balancing act, analysts say.
- UK forges closer defence and security partnership with India, October 2021 UK FCDO 23 Oct 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Liz Truss is forging stronger UK security and defence links with India on her visit to the country, as she visits HMS Queen Elizabeth in Mumbai today.
- BoJo Reluctant to Activate COVID Response 'Plan B', Is 'Watching the Numbers Very Carefully' Sputnik 22 Oct 2021 -- Talk of a COVID-19 response plan B for the UK, which could presuppose a return to the mandatory wearing of masks and work from home (WFH) guidance, began after the number of daily infections across the nation climbed above 40,000 on 20 October for the eighth day in succession.
- Foreign Secretary travels to India to strengthen economic and tech ties, October 2021 UK FCDO 22 Oct 2021 -- Liz Truss announces technology and infrastructure tie-ups with India to boost both economies and help developing countries grow in a clean and sustainable way.
- Johnson: Britain Sticking to Its Plan, Despite COVID Surge VOA 21 Oct 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is resisting calls by some public health officials to implement new COVID-19 restrictions, despite a surge of new infections hitting the nation.
- Europe blasts UK's Covid-19 handling as cases mount Press TV 21 Oct 2021 -- Several European countries have criticized British handling of Covid-19, as there are growing signs of fresh wave of pandemic across Europe.
- UK Gov't 'Mulls COVID Plan C' to Keep Economy Open Amid Warning New Daily Cases May Reach 100,000 Sputnik 21 Oct 2021 -- As 223 more COVID-19 deaths were reported on 19 October - the highest daily-reported figure in seven months ‚Äď the chief executive of the UK's National Health Service Confederation urged ministers to roll out Plan B, including possible mandatory vaccine passports for mass events, to avert a potential NHS crisis.
- British Troops Engage with Terrorist Fighters in Mali UK MOD 21 Oct 2021 -- British Forces deployed in Mali have killed two armed terrorist fighters after being engaged by small arms fire while on patrol.
- Fifteen Allies deepen cooperation on Ground Based Air Defence NATO 21 Oct 2021 -- Defence Ministers from 15 NATO Allies reaffirmed their commitment to multinationally develop, acquire and deliver Ground Based Air Defence capabilities, which will protect Allied personnel, equipment and facilities from air based threats. This was done in the margins of the NATO Defence Ministers Meeting on 21 October 2021.
- Eleven Allies launch multinational projects to boost CBRN defence NATO 21 Oct 2021 -- The Ministers of Defence from 11 NATO Allies launched three multinational High Visibility Projects to provide CBRN protection equipment, develop and procure CBRN detection and identification systems, as well as potentially establish a network of CBRN defence facilities.
- UK Defen—Āe Ministry Confirms Information About Missiles' Deal With Ukraine Sputnik 21 Oct 2021 -- The UK Ministry of Defen—Āe on Thursday confirmed information about a deal to deliver missiles to Ukraine, adding that it was made public in June.
- UK in talks to sell missiles to Ukraine in first arms deal: Report Press TV 21 Oct 2021 -- The United Kingdom is in talks with Ukraine to provide it with missiles for the first time under an arms deal, a report says.
- Maritime partnerships strengthened Australia DOD 20 Oct 2021 -- The Royal Australian Navy this month joined key partners Japan, the United States and the United Kingdom for the Maritime Partnership Exercise in the Indian Ocean.
- UK Stops US Firm Buying British Defence Contractor on 'National Security Grounds' Sputnik 19 Oct 2021 -- This is the second acquisition of a UK-based defence contractor, in which the Government has intervened. The last time it stopped a deal was when American private equity firm Advent wanted to buy Ultra Electronics.
- UK Plans to Create 'Persistent' Military Presence in Indo-Pacific Region Sputnik 19 Oct 2021 -- The United Kingdom plans to maintain an ongoing and "persistent" but not continuous security presence in the Indo-Pacific region, Chief of the Defense Staff Gen. Nicholas Carter said on Tuesday.
- Warships from Australia, Japan, U.K., and U.S. Join Forces in Maritime Partnership Exercise 2021 US Navy 18 Oct 2021 -- Naval forces from Australia, Japan, the U.K., and the U.S. joined together in multilateral Maritime Partnership Exercise (MPX) 2021 to conduct naval training in the eastern Indian Ocean, Oct. 15-18.
- Opportunity created by ceasefire announcement in Central African Republic UK FCDO 18 Oct 2021 -- Statement delivered by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council briefing on the Central African Republic (CAR).
- Indonesia and Malaysia jointly amplify warning about AUKUS pact Radio Free Asia 18 Oct 2021 -- The top diplomats of Indonesia and Malaysia together amplified their nations' concerns Monday about Australia's plans to acquire nuclear-powered submarines, warning this could draw other powers into disputes over the South China Sea and provoke a regional arms race.
- Suspect in Stabbing Death of British MP Amess Identified VOA 17 Oct 2021 -- A British member of Parliament died Friday after being stabbed several times at a church in what police said Saturday was a terrorist attack.
- UK provides almost ¬£30 million to humanitarian catastrophe in northern Ethiopia UK FCDO 16 Oct 2021 -- UK Minister for Africa Vicky Ford, announces an additional ¬£29m of humanitarian aid for northern Ethiopia on World Food Day 2021.
- Killing of UK Lawmaker Shocks Nation; Security Reviews Ordered VOA 16 Oct 2021 -- Britain's interior minister has ordered an immediate review of the security arrangements for the country's lawmakers following the slaying Friday of Conservative Member of Parliament David Amess, who was stabbed multiple times in a suspected Islamist terror attack while meeting with constituents east of London.
- British MP David Amess Killed in Stabbing VOA 15 Oct 2021 -- A British member of parliament died Friday after being stabbed several times at a church, while he was visiting constituents in his home district in southeastern Britain, officials said.
- UK Military Might Observe Renewed Full-Scale Balikatan Drills in Philippines Radio Free Asia 14 Oct 2021 -- The United Kingdom may be participating as an observer as the Philippines and United States look to resume full-scale joint military exercises next year after they were disrupted by the COVID-19 outbreak, senior Filipino and American military officials indicated Thursday.
- After six years of war, the people of Yemen are still suffering from the world's worst humanitarian crisis UK FCDO 14 Oct 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Yemen.
- Colombia's peace process is an example for the world UK FCDO 14 Oct 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council briefing on Colombia
- Moscow: Nuland Informed AUKUS Threatens to Undermine Security Architecture in Asia-Pacific Sputnik 14 Oct 2021 -- US Under Secretary of State Victoria Nuland was informed that the AUKUS alliance treaty threatens to undermine security architecture in Asia-Pacific, the Russian Foreign Ministry's spokeswoman, Maria Zakharova, said on Thursday.
- Chinese ambassador slams AUKUS pact as "textbook case" of nuclear proliferation People's Daily 14 Oct 2021 -- The AUKUS pact among the United States, Britain and Australia, which will enable Australia to build nuclear-powered submarines with technology provided by the United States and Britain, is a "textbook case" of nuclear proliferation based on the Cold War mentality and narrow-minded geopolitical calculation, a Chinese diplomat said Wednesday.
- Ambassador Li Song remarks on nuclear submarine cooperation of AUKUS PLA Daily 14 Oct 2021 -- The Permanent Mission of the People's Republic of China to the United Nations Office at Geneva and other International Organizations in Switzerland hosted a press conference via video link on October 13.
- Paris Threatens Retaliation in an Explosive Anglo-French Fishing Dispute VOA 14 Oct 2021 -- France has threatened to retaliate against Britain in yet another post-Brexit dispute, this time over fishing rights in what the British call the English Channel and the French refer to as La Manche, the narrow arm of the Atlantic Ocean separating England's southern coast from the northern shores of France.
- UK's early response to COVID-19 one of worst public health failures: report People's Daily 13 Oct 2021 -- Britain's failure to do more to stop the spread of coronavirus early in the pandemic was one of the country's worst public health failures, said an official report released Tuesday.
- Almost unnoticed: UK is worst in west Europe for Covid Press TV 13 Oct 2021 -- The UK has the highest rate of coronavirus cases and reported deaths in western Europe, but it has gone almost unnoticed.
- ASEAN members bicker over AUKUS Global Times 14 Oct 2021 -- The new tripartite defense alliance AUKUS, formed with the intention of intimidating China, will strain ASEAN's unity and integration as regional countries are divided over the pact, experts said Wednesday, noting that if it sparks an arms race, it threatens to destabilize the region.
- U.S., Britain Warn Their Citizens To Keep Away From Kabul Hotels Amid 'Security Threats' RFE/RL Gandhara 11 Oct 2021 -- The United States and Britain have warned their citizens to stay away from hotels in Kabul, specifically citing the Serena Hotel, a popular venue for foreign guests in the Afghan capital.
- Foreign Secretary to back Baltic countries to challenge the threat posed by Russia, Belarus and China UK FCDO 11 Oct 2021 -- The Foreign Secretary is to discuss Russia, Belarus and China at a meeting of the 3 Baltic countries today.
- Foreign Secretary agrees joint UK statement with Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania (11 October 2021) UK FCDO 11 Oct 2021 -- The UK ,Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania agreed a communique reaffirming security cooperation in the Baltic region and agreeing to foster closer economic links.
- Troika Statement on the Situation in Eastern Sudan US Dept. of State 08 Oct 2021 -- The Troika (Norway, the United Kingdom, and the United States) strongly supports the efforts of Sudan's government to resolve protests in eastern Sudan which, as the government's October 3 statement highlighted, risk having a serious impact on the country's economy and the well-being of its citizens.
- US, UK Aircraft Carriers Lead Show of Naval Might Around South China Sea Radio Free Asia 07 Oct 2021 -- Three aircraft carriers and a dozen other warships from U.S.-allied nations sailed on the fringes of the South China Sea this week in one of the biggest shows of Western maritime might in the region for years.
- Britain Eases Quarantine Requirements for 47 Countries VOA 07 Oct 2021 -- After losing two full summers of tourism revenue, Britain is getting rid of restrictive quarantine requirements for visitors from 47 countries, including India, South Africa, Brazil and Turkey.
- CURTAIN RAISER: 6TH EDITION OF INDIA - UK JOINT COMPANY LEVEL MILITARY TRAINING: EXERCISE AJEYA WARRIOR COMMENCES AT CHAUBATIA (UTTARAKHAND) India PIB 07 Oct 2021 -- The 6th Edition of India - UK Joint Company Level Military Training EXERCISE AJEYA WARRIOR has commenced at Chaubatia, Uttarakhand and will culminate on 20 Oct 2021.
- Joint Statement on Iraq's Early Elections US Dept. of State 06 Oct 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- UK Prime Minister's High Representative for Afghanistan Meets With Taliban, Foreign Office Says Sputnik 05 Oct 2021 -- UK Prime Minister's High Representative for Afghan Transition Sir Simon Gass and the charge d'affaires of the UK mission in Afghanistan, Martin Longden, met with representatives of the Taliban* movement on Tuesday, the UK Foreign Office said.
- British Envoy Meets With Taliban Leaders To Discuss Humanitarian Crisis, Treatment Of Women RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Oct 2021 -- A British special envoy has met with Taliban leaders in Kabul to discuss the current humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan, the treatment of women and girls, and ways to prevent the war-wracked country from becoming a breeding ground for terrorism.
- AUKUS deal was a 'wake-up call' for EU: Borrell Press TV 05 Oct 2021 -- European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell says the AUKUS alliance between Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States was a "wake-up call" for the EU and carried significant implications for the future of relations with Washington.
- Carrier Strike Group Looks Forward to a Busy Autumn in Indo-Pacific and Middle East UK MOD 05 Oct 2021 -- With four months of activity alongside allies and partners successfully completed, the UK Carrier Strike Group (CSG), led by HMS Queen Elizabeth, is preparing for a series of engagements with Singapore, India and Oman this autumn.
- HMS Trent deploys to West Africa to support maritime security UK MOD 05 Oct 2021 -- The patrol ship will visit Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Gambia and Cape Verde, conducting patrols and helping partner navies to build capacity through training.
- France warns UK over fishing dispute: Bilateral cooperation at risk Press TV 05 Oct 2021 -- France has warned the UK over its failure to provide sufficient fishing licenses to French fishers, calling for the EU to adopt a tougher stance against the UK and raising the alarm that bilateral cooperation could be at risk.
- European Council Opens Negotiations With UK on Gibraltar Sputnik 05 Oct 2021 -- The European Commission will begin negotiations with the United Kingdom on working out an agreement on Gibraltar, whose geography as a British overseas territory and headland on Spain's south coast, prevented it from being included in the 2020 bilateral Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the European Council said on Tuesday.
- UN Human Rights Council 48: UK statement for the interactive dialogue with the the High Commissioner on the human rights situation in Ukraine UK FCDO 05 Oct 2021 -- UK International Ambassador for Human Rights Rita French gave a statement outlining the UK's concerns about the welfare of at least 118 Ukrainian political prisoners currently held by Russia.
- A lack of substantial progress in Syria's chemical weapons declaration UK FCDO 04 Oct 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on chemical weapons in Syria.
- UN Human Rights Council 48: Joint statement on the recent expulsion of prominent United Nations Representatives by the Federal Government of Ethiopia UK FCDO 04 Oct 2021 -- UK Ambassador to the UN and WTO in Geneva Simon Manley gave this joint statement on behalf of over 40 countries.
- Ours is Bigger! France Mocks Size of UK Warship Visiting Vietnam Radio Free Asia 04 Oct 2021 -- A British frigate on Monday completed a visit to Vietnam and left some turbulence in its wake ‚Äď an unlikely spat on social media between Britain and France.
- Permanent location of National Cyber Force campus announced UK MOD 04 Oct 2021 -- The UK government's new National Cyber Force (NCF) will be located in Samlesbury in the North-West, bringing highly skilled jobs to Lancashire, the Defence Secretary has confirmed today.
- Troika Statement on the Anniversary of the Juba Peace Agreement US Dept. of State 03 Oct 2021 -- The United States, the United Kingdom, and Norway (the Troika) commend the Sudanese people as they celebrate the first anniversary of the signing of Juba Peace Agreement (JPA) on October 3, 2020.
- Royal Navy Declares Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales Operational UK Royal Navy 02 Oct 2021 -- A fortnight-long international exercise off the Scottish coast put the stamp on two years of intensive training for the Portsmouth-based warship, 700-plus crew, the Royal Navy and RAF squadrons who will operate aircraft from her flight deck ‚Äď including the fifth-generation F-35 Lightning stealth fighter ‚Äď and thousands of military personnel and civilians who support and maintain the endeavour.
- Military finish up training to start fuel deliveries as government extends support to industry UK MOD 02 Oct 2021 -- UK government announces additional measures to help ensure the stability of the UK supply chain.
- British Frigate in Swing Through Indo-Pacific Stops in Vietnam Radio Free Asia 01 Oct 2021 -- British Royal Navy frigate HMS Richmond has arrived in Vietnam on a four-day friendly visit after transiting through the Taiwan Strait, angering China.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list