Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2021 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- France, England Widen Availability of COVID-19 Vaccines VOA 31 May 2021 -- To fight a rise in cases caused by the coronavirus variants, France and England moved Monday to increase vaccinations.
- Britain To Speed Up Relocation For Afghan Interpreters RFE/RL Gandhara 31 May 2021 -- Britain has announced plans to step up the relocation of Afghan staff who worked with the military and their families ahead of the completion of a planned withdrawal of U.S.-led NATO forces from the war-wracked country.
- UK plans to evacuate Afghan 'interpreters' under new policy Press TV 31 May 2021 -- As the UK prepares for a full retreat from Afghanistan plans have been announced to also evacuate local Afghans who have helped British forces since their deployment in 2002.
- Artificial Intelligence used at sea for first time UK MOD 29 May 2021 -- For the first time, Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) is being used by the Royal Navy at sea as part of Exercise Formidable Shield, which is currently taking place off the coast of Scotland.
- British, Other Western Intel Agencies Assist US in Wuhan Probe VOA 31 May 2021 -- Britain's intelligence agencies â€” along with other Western European security services â€” are assisting a new American investigation to try to establish the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, according to officials on both sides of the Atlantic.
- Young Adolescents in Europe to Get Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine VOA 29 May 2021 -- Britain has confirmed yet another spike in new COVID-19 infections, with close to 4,200 cases identified across the country Friday, the highest daily number in two months.
- British PM Johnson Meets Hungarian Counterpart Amid Criticism RFE/RL 28 May 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson met Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on May 28 amid criticism for inviting the hard-line Central European leader to 10 Downing Street.
- Â£274-million training boost for RAF UK MOD 27 May 2021 -- Pilots and engineers who operate the UK's C-17 Globemaster aircraft are to benefit from world-leading interactive training, following a Â£274-million contract award.
- UK boost for UN peacebuilding will help prevent conflicts and humanitarian crises UK FCDO 27 May 2021 -- UK aid will support UN with global peacebuilding efforts, to prevent and manage conflicts and reduce humanitarian suffering.
- Urging a longer-term political horizon in the Middle East UK FCDO 27 May 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on the situation in the Middle East
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on Belarus US Dept. of State 27 May 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Belarus: Foreign Secretary welcomes ICAO fact-finding mission into diverted flight UK FCDO 27 May 2021 -- The UK welcomes decision by the International Civil Aviation Organization to open a fact-finding mission into diverted Ryanair flight.
- Britain's Health Minister Denies He Lied About Pandemic VOA 27 May 2021 -- British Health Minister Matt Hancock rejected allegations Thursday he had repeatedly lied during his response to the COVID-19 pandemic made by Dominic Cummings, a former top aide of Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
- Royal Navy warship 'expelled from Crimean coast' by Russian forces, FSB reveals Press TV 27 May 2021 -- A British Royal Navy destroyer has been 'expelled' from waters off the Crimean coast after crossing into Russian territory, Russia's security service claims.
- Dominic Cummings launches vicious attack on Johnson Covid-19 strategy Press TV 26 May 2021 -- Boris Johnson's former chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, has launched an unprecedented political assault on his former boss, effectively attacking every aspect of the Prime Minister's coronavirus management strategy.
- Former Aide to British Leader Says Government Failed Public in COVID-19 Response VOA 26 May 2021 -- A former chief aide to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told a parliamentary committee Wednesday the government failed the British people in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, a statement Johnson rejects.
- UK condemns the detention of Malian government figures: Minister Duddridge statement UK FCDO 25 May 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council open debate on the protection of civilians in armed conflict
- Promoting an inclusive and effective government to ensure political stability in Somalia UK FCDO 25 May 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council open debate on the protection of civilians in armed conflict
- Foreign Secretary visits Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories (May 2021) UK FCDO 25 May 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council open debate on the protection of civilians in armed conflict
- Addressing the growing risks of famine and attacks on humanitarian personnel in conflict situations UK FCDO 25 May 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council open debate on the protection of civilians in armed conflict
- London and Brussels clash over Northern Ireland Protocol Press TV 25 May 2021 -- The UK and the European Union (EU) have once again clashed over the terms and conditions of the Northern Ireland Protocol as post-Brexit tensions show no sign of subsiding.
- Joint Statement by the Secretary of State of the United States of America, the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom, and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and Italy US Dept. of State 25 May 2021 -- The following statement was released by United States Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio, and UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Syria's presidential election.
- Syria Presidential Election on 26 May: Quint Statement UK FCDO 25 May 2021 -- Joint Statement by the Secretary of State of the United States of America, the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and Italy on the presidential election in Syria.
- Forced landing of Ryanair flight FR4978 in Minsk: UK statement UK FCDO 25 May 2021 -- Ambassador Neil Bush condemns the actions on 23 May by the Belarusian authorities, who arrested journalist Roman Protasevich having forced his flight to land in Minsk.
- Enabling UN peacekeepers to perform safely and to the best of their abilities UK FCDO 24 May 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on the safety and security of UN peacekeepers
- UK government advises against flying over Belarusian airspace UK FCDO 24 May 2021 -- The UK has issued a notice to airlines to avoid Belarusian airspace after a Ryanair flight was diverted to Minsk yesterday by the Belarusian authorities.
- UK tells airlines to avoid Belarus as bilateral relations collapse Press TV 24 May 2021 -- Relations between the UK and Belarus have nosedived after Belarusian authorities diverted a passenger plane flying over their territory to arrest a dissident blogger wanted on extremism charges.
- Carrier Strike Group sets sail on seven-month maiden deployment UK MOD 22 May 2021 -- Britain's new flagship aircraft carrier will lead the largest concentration of maritime and air power to be deployed from the UK in a generation.
- Fleet Solid Support ships competition launched UK MOD 21 May 2021 -- Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has launched a competition to build three new Fleet Solid Support (FSS) ships to provide vital support to Royal Navy operations across the world.
- Israel-Gaza ceasefire: Foreign Secretary's statement UK FCDO 20 May 2021 -- The Foreign Secretary has welcomed the ceasefire reached in Israel and Gaza today.
- Clear steps needed to maintain momentum towards elections in Libya UK FCDO 21 May 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Libya
- Violence across Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories must stop UK FCDO 20 May 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the General Assembly on the situation in the Middle East
- UK aid package to help provide emergency relief for civilians in Gaza UK FCDO 20 May 2021 -- New funding for UNRWA announced following recent escalation in violence
- UK reports nearly 3,000 cases of India-related variant People's Daily 20 May 2021 -- Almost 3,000 cases of the coronavirus variant first detected in India have been reported in Britain, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Wednesday.
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl Virtual Meeting with France, Germany, and the UK DoD 20 May 2021
- Carrier Strike Group sets sail for first operational deployment UK MOD 20 May 2021 -- HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales meet at sea for the first time following Exercise Strike Warrior 21
- Carrier Strike Group completes final exercise before setting sail for first operational deployment this weekend UK MOD 20 May 2021 -- Twenty warships, three submarines and 150 aircraft have taken part in a UK-led multinational military exercise to test the UK Carrier Strike Group's response to a range of crisis and conflict situations.
- Take COVID-19 Vaccine or Face Discipline, the UK Army Reportedly Warns Troops Sputnik 19 May 2021 -- Late last week, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson called to accelerate the country's COVID-19 vaccination programme to contain the rapid spread of the Indian variant of the coronavirus, which has now formed clusters in various parts of Britain.
- New 'Inspiration Class' Type-31 warships named UK MOD 19 May 2021 -- The names of five next-generation Type-31 frigates for the Royal Navy have been announced by the First Sea Lord, Admiral Tony Radakin.
- Nicola Sturgeon Sworn in Again as Scotland's First Minister VOA 19 May 2021 -- Nicola Sturgeon took the oath of office Wednesday to return as Scotland's first minister following an election earlier this month that saw her Scottish National Party (SNP) win a resounding election victory, allowing her to push ahead with plans for a second independence referendum.
- Belarus: UK responds to crackdown on journalists UK FCDO 19 May 2021 -- The Foreign Secretary has issued a statement following the recent crackdown on journalists in Belarus.
- Indian COVID-19 Variant Could Scupper June 21 End Date for UK Lockdown Sputnik 18 May 2021 -- One of the hotspots for the feared "indian variant" of COVID-19 is Bolton in Greater Manchester, a town with a high population of British Pakistanis â€” an ethnic group that has been reluctant to be vaccinated against the deadly virus.
- British Leader Says No Virus Variant Will Delay Easing COVID-19 Restrictions VOA 18 May 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson Tuesday said there is, so far, no conclusive evidence a COVID-19 variant will affect the government's schedule for lifting restrictions in the country, after warning last week it could do so.
- Over 2,300 cases of India-related coronavirus variant recorded in UK: health secretary People's Daily 18 May 2021 -- A total of 2,323 cases of the coronavirus variant first detected in India have been recorded in Britain, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Monday.
- DUP leader-designate Edwin Poots attacks Northern Ireland Protocol Press TV 18 May 2021 -- The man elected to succeed Arlene Foster as leader of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) has launched a blistering attack on the Northern Ireland Protocol, promising to "inflict damage" on it.
- Readout of Jake Sullivan's Bilateral Meeting with UK National Security Advisor Stephen Lovegrove The White House 18 May 2021
- Supporting the ICC Prosecutor's ongoing investigations in Libya UK FCDO 17 May 2021 -- Statement by Chanaka Wickremasinghe, UK Legal Adviser at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on ICC Libya
- Two Major North Sea Maritime Exercises Converge US Navy 17 May 2021 -- Ships from U.S. Exercise Ragnar Viking met up with the ships participating in the Royal Navy's Strike Warrior Exercise in the North Atlantic Ocean, May 17, 2021.
- U.S. Sixth Fleet and STRIKFORNATO Commence Complex Air and Missile Defense Exercise US Navy 17 May 2021 -- Exercise At-Sea Demo/Formidable Shield (ASD/FS) 2021, a live-fire integrated air and missile defense (IAMD) exercise conducted by Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO on behalf of U.S. Sixth Fleet, kicked off today, May 15, 2021 at the U.K. Ministry of Defence's Hebrides Range in the vicinity of the Western Isles of Scotland.
- As Britain Eases Lockdown, Virus Mutation Overshadows Joy VOA 17 May 2021 -- Britain lifted many of its coronavirus lockdown restrictions Monday as infection rates fall to their lowest levels since August. Pubs, restaurants, theaters, casinos and art galleries opened their doors to allow customers inside for the first time this year. Many families are now able to meet indoors for the first time in months as the new rules allow gatherings of up to six people inside private homes.
- UK announces sanctions on gemstone company linked to the military regime in Myanmar UK FCDO 17 May 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab announces sanctions on Myanmar Gems Enterprise (MGE), a state-owned enterprise under the military junta's control.
- US, Britain Express Concern Over Continued Fighting in Myanmar VOA 16 May 2021 -- Members of a militia opposed to the coup by the Myanmar military on Sunday pulled back into the jungle of western Myanmar following days of fighting with the army, as the United States and Britain condemned military violence against civilians.
- 'Indian Variant' Worries UK Government Advisers VOA 16 May 2021 -- The British government is hoping to vaccinate up to a million people a day in a bid to keep the country on track for a gradual relaxation of coronavirus pandemic restrictions.
- UK Records 2,027 New COVID 19 Infections SPA 15 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,027 new cases of the coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 7 deaths.
- UK Records 2,193 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 15 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,193 new cases of the coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 17 deaths.
- UK Vaccine Official Says Shots May Be Less Effective Against Mild Indian Variant Cases Sputnik 15 May 2021 -- Deputy Chair of the UK Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), Anthony Harnden, said on Saturday that COVID-19 vaccines may be less effective against mild cases of the Indian variant but not against severe cases.
- Russia 'monitoring' Royal Navy vessel in Black Sea Press TV 16 May 2021 -- In a sign the crisis on Ukraine's border with Russia has not fully abated, the Russian navy has reported it is closely monitoring a British Royal Navy vessel in the Black Sea.
- UK troops seize Daesh arms cache in Mali peacekeeping operation UK MOD 15 May 2021 -- British peacekeepers seized AK47s, ammunition, fuel and radios hidden by a jihadist cell intimidating civilians, after conducting a search in a sandstorm.
- UK Records 2,657 Coronavirus Cases SPA 14 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,657 new cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 11 deaths.
- Britain's PM Says New India COVID Variant Could Disrupt June Reopening Plans VOA 14 May 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Friday that current plans for easing COVID-19 restrictions in England will proceed, but a rise in cases of a new so-called Indian variant of the virus could change those plans â€” as well as plans to fully reopen the nation by the end of June.
- Â£1.4-billion modernised Chinook fleet UK MOD 13 May 2021 -- A Â£1.4-billion contract to modernise the Chinook fleet over the next 10 years has been agreed. The deal will see British forces benefit from 14 of the latest iconic heavy-lift helicopters.
- UK sanctions Libyan al-Kaniyat militia and its leaders: Minister's statement UK FCDO 13 May 2021 -- Following new sanctions on the Libyan al-Kaniyat militia and its leaders, the UK's Minister for the Middle East and North Africa has issued a statement.
- UK Records 2,474 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 12 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,474 new cases of the Coronavirus along with 20 deaths.
- Boris Johnson Says Public Inquiry Into COVID-19 Response Will Likely Begin in Spring 2022 Sputnik 12 May 2021 -- Speaking in the House of Commons on Wednesday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that "we should be mindful" of the scale and resources the inquiry requires so that it doesn't inadvertently distract NHS workers "at the peak of our struggle against the disease".
- UK agrees to Radovan KaradÅ¾iÄ‡ prisoner transfer UK FCDO 12 May 2021 -- The UK has agreed that Radovan KaradÅ¾iÄ‡, convicted of the Srebrenica genocide, should be transferred to a UK prison to serve the rest of his sentence.
- UK to provide bridging loan to help clear Sudan's arrears at the African Development Bank: Foreign Secretary's statement UK FCDO 12 May 2021 -- The UK has provided a bridging loan to enable the clearance of Sudan's arrears at the African Development Bank.
- UK PM confirms coronavirus lockdown to be further eased from next Monday People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed Monday that the coronavirus lockdown in England will be further lifted from next week.
- France, Britain Fearful of Resurgent Jihadist Threat After Lockdown VOA 11 May 2021 -- Nearly 200 jihadists imprisoned in France are due to be released over the next two years and French security officials are pressing French lawmakers to approve fresh antiterrorist measures to impose enhanced restrictions on those freed and to give police new legal powers to fight terrorism.
- A pivotal year for Iraq and potential for a step towards increased stability UK FCDO 11 May 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Jonathan Allen at the Security Council briefing on UNAMI
- UK records another 1,770 coronavirus cases, 2 deaths People's Daily 10 May 2021 -- Another 1,770 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,434,860, according to official figures released Sunday.
- UK Records 2,357 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 10 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,357 new cases of the Coronavirus along with 4 deaths.
- UK Records 1,770 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 10 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 1,770 new cases of the Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 2 deaths.
- Nicola Sturgeon and Boris Johnson in tense post-election phone call Press TV 10 May 2021 -- Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has had a tense phone call with Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, following the Scottish National Party's (SNP) victory in the Holyrood election.
- Boris Johnson calls for leadership summit as Tories reel from losses in Scotland and Wales Press TV 09 May 2021 -- As part of his immediate response to the results of national and local elections across Britain, Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has called for a summit involving the leaders of the UK's devolved nations.
- Scottish nationalists vow independence vote after election win Press TV 09 May 2021 -- Scottish nationalists have vowed to hold an independence vote after pro-independence parties won a majority in Scotland's parliament on Saturday.
- Buoyed by Big Election Win, Scottish Nationalists Demand Independence Vote VOA 09 May 2021 -- The leader of the Scottish National Party, Nicola Sturgeon, has vowed to start the push for a second referendum on Scottish independence as her party made major gains in elections this weekend for Scotland's devolved Parliament, but fell short by one seat of securing an overall majority.
- Nicola Sturgeon clashes with Michael Gove on Scottish independence referendum Press TV 09 May 2021 -- Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has indirectly clashed with Cabinet Office Minister, Michael Gove, over the issue of a Scottish independence referendum.
- UK Records 2,047 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,047 new cases of the Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 5 deaths.
- UK Military Spends Â£800 mln on More Than a Hundred Challenger 3 Tanks Sputnik 08 May 2021 -- According to the UK Defence Ministry, the vehicle will be the UK's first fully-digitised tank.
- UK Records 2,490 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 07 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,490 new cases of the Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 15 deaths.
- UK records another 2,613 coronavirus cases, 13 deaths People's Daily 07 May 2021 -- Another 2,613 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,428,553, according to official figures released Thursday.
- U.S.-Europe CommuniquÃ© on the Afghan Peace Process US Dept. of State 07 May 2021 -- The following is the text of a communiquÃ© issued by the United States of America, European Union, France, Germany, Italy, NATO, Norway, and the United Kingdom on the Afghan Peace Process.
- British Army to possess most lethal tank in Europe UK MOD 07 May 2021 -- The British Army will receive a fleet of 148 Challenger 3 main battle tanks as part of an Â£800 million contract with Rheinmetall BAE Systems Land (RBSL), the Defence Secretary has announced today.
- Early Returns in Scotland Election Bode Well for Sturgeon's Ruling Party VOA 07 May 2021 -- Scotland's first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, and her ruling Scottish National Party (SNP) made early gains Friday as the first returns from the nation's parliamentary election were reported.
- UK's Boris Johnson Celebrates Local Election Wins Thanks to 'Vaccine Bounce' VOA 07 May 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's ruling Conservatives appeared on course Friday to pull off a historic election victory against the country's main opposition Labour Party, making deep inroads into Labour's traditional heartlands in northern England after 48 million Britons voted Thursday for devolved, regional and town governments.
- UK Records 2,144 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 06 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,144 new cases of the Coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 27 deaths.
- UK records another 2,144 coronavirus cases, 27 deaths People's Daily 06 May 2021 -- Another 2,144 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,425,940, according to official figures released Wednesday.
- Statement by France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom on Israeli Settlements UK FCDO 06 May 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK have issued a statement on Israeli Settlements
- Tensions Ease Over Britain-France Fishing Spat VOA 06 May 2021 -- Tensions between Britain and France regarding fishing rights eased late Thursday as Britain withdrew two naval ships from the waters around the British island of Jersey where French fishermen had staged a protest.
- UK Records 1,946 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 05 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 1,946 new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 4 deaths.
- G-7 Foreign Ministers Meet in London as Russia, China Top Agenda VOA 04 May 2021 -- Foreign ministers of the Group of Seven (G-7) industrialized nations are meeting in London this week, with climate change, Russia and China among the challenges topping the agenda. It is the first face-to-face G-7 meeting in two years, after the coronavirus pandemic forced the Pittsburgh 2020 foreign ministers' meeting to be held via video link.
- UK unites G7 to take action against democratic threats UK FCDO 04 May 2021 -- At the London G7 Foreign and Development Ministers' Meeting, leading democracies will discuss global issues that threaten to undermine democracy and human rights.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with UK Prime Minister Johnson US Dept. of State 04 May 2021
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 04 May 2021
- Prime Minister welcomes new era in UK-India relationship UK FCDO 04 May 2021 -- Boris Johnson and Indian Prime Minister Modi have agreed ambitious plans for the next decade of the UK-India relationship.
- INDIA-UK VIRTUAL SUMMIT India PIB 04 May 2021 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and The Rt Hon'ble Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom held a Virtual Summit today.
- UK Records 1,671 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded yesterday 1,671 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 14 deaths.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab at a Joint Press Availability US Dept. of State 03 May 2021
- UK and Japan agree strengthened trade and security partnership ahead of G7 meeting UK FCDO 03 May 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab met his Japanese counterpart Toshimitsu Motegi ahead of the G7 Foreign and Development Ministers' meeting.
- F-35B jets to join the fight against Daesh from the Carrier Strike Group UK MOD 03 May 2021 -- UK F-35B fighter jets operating from HMS Queen Elizabeth will join Operation Shader in the fight against Daesh.
- RAF's 'Dambusters' squadron set to begin Iraq and Syria bombing mission Press TV 03 May 2021 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) is set to deploy its 617 squadron â€“ known as the "Dambusters" â€“ allegedly against Daesh targets in Iraq and Syria.
- Britain Says G7 To Consider Mechanism To Counter Russian Disinformation RFE/RL 03 May 2021 -- Britain is proposing an international effort to counter Russian propaganda and disinformation, British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said on May 2.
- Top U.S., U.K. Diplomats Play Down Talk Of Deals With Iran On Prisoner Swaps RFE/RL 03 May 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken and British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab have discussed issues related to Iran ahead of the start of a G7 ministers meeting in London but continued to downplay rumors swirling of imminent prisoner swaps with Tehran.
- Iran Detentions In Spotlight As U.K. Alleges 'Torture,' U.S. Rejects Report Of Prisoner Swap RFE/RL 02 May 2021 -- U.S., U,K., and Iranian officials have all dismissed or otherwise downplayed unconfirmed reports out of Iran that suggested deals had been struck to swap prisoners against the backdrop of high-profile nuclear talks over Iran's nuclear activities.
- UK Reports 1,907 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 01 May 2021 -- The United Kingdom reported 1,907 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 7 deaths, during the past 24 hours.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list