Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2021 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- British government says no surplus vaccine doses for India, media reports People's Daily 30 Apr 2021 -- Britain has no surplus of COVID-19 vaccines to give to India as it faces a deadly wave of COVID-19, Reuters reported Thursday quoting British Health Secretary Matt Hancock.
- Foreign Secretary statement on Palestinian elections UK FCDO 30 Apr 2021 -- A statement from the Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab, on the postponement of elections in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
- British 'High-Risk' Designation for Pakistan Seen as Bad Sign for Anti-Corruption Efforts VOA 29 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom's decision to add Pakistan to its list of "high-risk countries" for money laundering and terror financing may make it harder for Islamabad to exit the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) "gray list" in June, experts warn.
- France, Australia, UK, U.S. Conduct Mine Countermeasures Exercise in the Arabian Gulf US Navy 29 Apr 2021 -- The French Marine Nationale, Royal Australian Navy, Royal Navy, and U.S. Navy participated in multi-lateral mine countermeasures (MCM) exercise Artemis Trident (AT) 21 in the Arabian Gulf, April 18-29.
- Royal Navy and RAF combine efforts to deliver vaccines to world's most remote Overseas Territory UK MOD 29 Apr 2021 -- UK Armed Forces have transported coronavirus vaccines to the Overseas Territory of Tristan da Cunha â€“ the most remote inhabited island in the world.
- UK sends oxygen factories to support India UK FCDO 28 Apr 2021 -- The UK will send further vital oxygen equipment to India in support of the country's fight against coronavirus (COVID-19).
- UK Records 2,166 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 28 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded today 2,166 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 29 deaths.
- EU Ratifies Trade Deal with Britain VOA 28 Apr 2021 -- The European Parliament has ratified a post-Brexit trade deal with Britain.
- European Parliament ratifies EU-UK trade deal People's Daily 28 Apr 2021 -- The European Parliament on Wednesday ratified the agreement on trade and cooperation between the European Union (EU) and the United Kingdom (UK) in a 660-5 vote.
- European Parliament approves post-Brexit trade deal with UK Press TV 28 Apr 2021 -- The European Parliament has voted to ratify the EU trade deal with the United Kingdom, but at the same time issued bitter final warnings that trouble lies ahead in cross-Channel ties.
- Northern Ireland's Arlene Foster Steps Down as Democratic Unionist Party Leader Sputnik 28 Apr 2021 -- As she announced her exit from the political stage, Foster said that her election as the DUP leader "broke a glass ceiling" and inspired other women to pursue a political career.
- UK Records 2,685 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 27 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded today 2,685 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 17 deaths.
- U.K. Imposes First Sanctions From Magnitsky Law, Including 14 Russians RFE/RL 27 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom has announced its first round of sanctions under its new global anti-corruption regime, freezing assets and imposing restrictions on 14 individuals from Russia, as well as eight others from different parts of the world.
- UK Foreign Secretary travels to Geneva for key Cyprus talks UK FCDO 27 Apr 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab will be attending talks hosted by the UN in Geneva this week on the Cyprus problem.
- Record size and scope of Carrier Strike Group deployment announced UK MOD 26 Apr 2021 -- The largest concentration of maritime and air power to the UK in a generation will set sail next month, visiting more than 40 countries.
- UK carrier strike group will sail to India on its maiden deployment UK MOD 26 Apr 2021 -- The UKâ€™s Carrier Strike Group 2021, led by HMS Queen Elizabeth, will sail to India in the autumn on its maiden operational deployment.
- UK reports lowest daily coronavirus cases since early September People's Daily 26 Apr 2021 -- Another 1,712 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, the lowest daily number since early September, according to official figures released Sunday.
- On the United Kingdom's Establishment of a Global Anti-Corruption Sanctions Regime US Dept. of State 26 Apr 2021 -- The United States commends the United Kingdom on the establishment of a Global Anti-Corruption Sanctions Regime, which reinforces the U.S.-UK partnership in the fight against corruption and illicit finance.
- Statement by Secretary Janet Yellen On the United Kingdom's Establishment of a Global Anti-Corruption Sanctions Regime US Treasury 26 Apr 2021 -- The United States Department of the Treasury welcomes the enactment today of the United Kingdom's new Global Anti-Corruption Sanctions Regime, which builds upon the success of the United Kingdom's Global Human Rights Sanctions Regime.
- British-Iranian Aid Worker Gets Another Year In Iran Prison RFE/RL 26 Apr 2021 -- The lawyer of British-Iranian aid worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe says she has been sentenced to another year in prison in Iran and given a one-year ban on leaving the country, in what London called a "totally inhumane" decision.
- UK sends life-saving medical equipment to India UK FCDO 25 Apr 2021 -- UK announces more than 600 pieces of vital medical equipment will be sent to India to support the country in its fight against Covid-19.
- Over 12 mln people fully vaccinated in UK: official figures People's Daily 25 Apr 2021 -- More than 12 million people in Britain are fully vaccinated by Saturday, the official figures said.
- UK records another 2,061 coronavirus cases, 32 deaths People's Daily 25 Apr 2021 -- Another 2,061 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,403,170, according to official figures released Saturday.
- UK Records 1,712 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 25 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded today 1,712 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 11 deaths.
- 55 new cases of "double mutation" variant found in UK in latest week: PHE People's Daily 23 Apr 2021 -- A further 55 cases of the coronavirus "double mutation" variant first detected in India have been discovered in Britain in the week to April 21, Public Health England (PHE) said Thursday.
- China slams UK allegations about Xinjiang region as 'most preposterous lie of century' Press TV 23 Apr 2021 -- China has censured as the "most preposterous lie of the century" after the British parliament accused Beijing of committing "genocide" against the Muslim Uighur minority in the Xinjiang region.
- U.K. Lawmakers Declare China Is Committing Genocide Against Uyghurs RFE/RL 22 Apr 2021 -- The British House of Commons has approved a parliamentary motion declaring crimes against humanity and genocide are being committed against Uyghurs and other mostly Muslim ethnic minorities in China's northwest Xinjiang province.
- UK Parliament Unanimously Designates Abuses in Xinjiang as Genocide in Historic Vote Radio Free Asia 22 Apr 2021 -- The U.K.'s lower house of parliament on Thursday unanimously voted to label abuses against Uyghurs and other Turkic Muslims in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) part of a policy of genocide and crimes against humanity, becoming the third global legislative body to do so.
- UK Records 2,729 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 22 Apr 2021 -- United Kingdom recorded, in the past 24 hours, 2,729 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) as well as 18 deaths.
- UK Records 2,396 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 22 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,396 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 22 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Ukraine, Britain agree to expand military cooperation People's Daily 22 Apr 2021 -- Ukraine and Britain have reached an agreement on expanding the Orbital training mission and working on strengthening the Ukrainian Navy, Ukrainian news outlet Ukrayinska Pravda reported on Wednesday.
- UK response to Ambassadors Ă‡evik and Grau UK FCDO 22 Apr 2021 -- Ambassador Neil Bush responds to Ambassador Heidi Grau and Ambassador YaĹźar Halit Ă‡evik at the OSCE Permanent Council.
- Concerns relating to the detention of Alexey Navalny: UK statement UK FCDO 22 Apr 2021 -- Ambassador Neil Bush raises UK concerns about Mr Alexey Navalny's deteriorating health and calls for his immediate and unconditional release.
- Freedom of the media in the Russian Federation: UK-Canada statement UK FCDO 22 Apr 2021 -- Ambassador Neil Bush raises concerns about the erosion of independent media and critical voices in Russia at the OSCE Permanent Council.
- UK PM announces new taskforce to find "promising new medicines" to treat coronavirus People's Daily 21 Apr 2021 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday announced a new taskforce to find "promising new medicines" to treat coronavirus.
- UK Records 2,524 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 21 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,524 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), along with 33 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Royal Navy confirms two new fast patrol boats UK MOD 21 Apr 2021 -- HMS Ships Dagger and Cutlass confirmed as the new fast patrol boats.
- UK Minister of Armed Forces and ChargĂ© d'Affairs welcomed on USS Iwo Jima US Navy 20 Apr 2021 -- The U.K. Minister of Armed Forces and the U.S. ChargĂ© d'Affairs from London visited the USS Iwo Jima, flagship of the IWO Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) in the Celtic Sea, April 12, 2021.
- OPCW report into February 2018 Syria chemical weapons attack: Foreign Secretary statement UK FCDO 20 Apr 2021 -- The OPCW released its second report on 12 April 2021, investigating and identifying those responsible for chemical weapons use in Syria in February 2018.
- British PM Johnson Faces Scottish Independence Challenge VOA 19 Apr 2021 -- A year ago, Boris Johnson's tenure as Britain's prime minister looked to some like it might be short-lived. Brexit woes and a string of missteps and abrupt U-turns in the government's handling of the pandemic prompted Conservative lawmakers to hazard privately that his days would likely be numbered.
- UK supports Czech efforts to expose Russian malign activity UK FCDO 18 Apr 2021 -- The Foreign Secretary condemns the reckless and dangerous actions of the Russian intelligence services in Czech Republic.
- UK warships to sail for Black Sea in May as Ukraine-Russia tensions rise: Sunday Times Press TV 18 Apr 2021 -- The UK's Navy warships will sail for the Black Sea next month amid rising tensions between Ukrainian and Russian forces, the Sunday Times newspaper reported, citing senior naval sources.
- UK Warships to Sail for Black Sea in May to 'Show Solidarity' With Kiev, NATO Allies - Report Sputnik 18 Apr 2021 -- Warships from the UK Royal Navy will sail for the Black Sea in May in solidarity with Kiev amid an escalation in the Ukraine crisis, The Sunday Times reports.
- UK escalates tensions with Russia as crisis intensifies on the edge of Europe Press TV 18 Apr 2021 -- The UK has seen fit to dramatically escalate tensions with Russia at a time of mounting crisis on the edge of Europe, as demonstrated by the mobilization of Ukrainian and Russian forces.
- Upsurge in paramilitary attacks in Derry attributed to 'dissident' Republicans. Press TV 17 Apr 2021 -- As general tensions continue to simmer in Northern Ireland following nearly two weeks of nightly rioting across the territory, more localized conflicts appear to be taking hold as well.
- Proactive surge testing needed to "get ahead of infection": UK health director People's Daily 16 Apr 2021 -- Proactive surge testing is needed to help officials "get ahead of the infection" as Britain is facing the threat of coronavirus variants, a public health director said Thursday.
- Here Comes Another One: Indian Double Mutation COVID-19 Variant Arrives in Britain Sputnik 16 Apr 2021 -- Public Health England (PHE) has recorded 77 cases of the variant officially named B.1.617, which is said to be contributing to a sharp spike of the pandemic in India.
- British spy jet deployed to Black Sea amid tensions with Russia Press TV 16 Apr 2021 -- A British spy aircraft has been dispatched to the Black Sea region to monitor Russian forces on the Ukrainian border, amid simmering tensions between Western countries and Russia over the Ukrainian conflict.
- Scottish nationalists vow to hold referendum on independence from UK Press TV 16 Apr 2021 -- Prior to the Scottish elections early next month, the Scottish National Party (SNP) has published an incisive manifesto, pledging to hold an independence referendum by the end of 2023.
- Russia hits back at UK over 'malign activity' accusation Press TV 16 Apr 2021 -- The UK is attempting to project itself as an "important" global actor in the wake of Brexit by accusing Russia of involvement in "malign activity," the Russian Embassy in London says.
- Iraq Investigates Irbil Drone Attack, Gets Support from US, Europe VOA 16 Apr 2021 -- France, Germany, Italy, Britain and the U.S. vowed Friday to support the Iraqi government's investigation into a drone attack at Irbil airport Wednesday.
- Sentencing of pro-democracy figures in Hong Kong: FCDO statement UK FCDO 16 Apr 2021 -- The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office comments on the sentencing of Jimmy Lai and other pro-democracy figures in Hong Kong.
- COVID-19 Deaths Among Oldest Europeans Reach Lowest Level Since Pandemic Began VOA 15 Apr 2021 -- COVID-19 cases are declining among Europeans 80 and older and death rates in the age group are at the lowest level since the pandemic began, according to a World Health Organization official.
- UK Records 2,491 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 15 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,491 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 38 deaths, during the past 24 hours.
- Russia: Foreign Office summons Russian ambassador UK FCDO 15 Apr 2021 -- The Foreign Office has summoned the Russian ambassador over the SolarWinds cyber attack and its recent malign activity.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French, German, Italian, and UK Counterparts US Dept. of State 14 Apr 2021
- UK records another 2,472 coronavirus cases, 23 deaths People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- Another 2,472 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,375,814, according to official figures released Tuesday.
- 'Unjustified Show of Force': Argentina Fumes as UK Plans Missile Tests in Falkland Islands Sputnik 14 Apr 2021 -- The UK Foreign Office last week informed Argentina it intended to carry out military tests, including the upcoming launch of Rapier missiles, in the Falkland Islands, which Buenos Aires and London have long maintained a sovereignty dispute over.
- Argentina lashes out at UK over planned military exercises in Malvinas Islands Press TV 14 Apr 2021 -- Argentina has lashed out at Britain over its plan to hold military exercises and missile tests in the occupied Malvinas Islands, which the British call Falkland Islands, saying they are part of a "pattern" of "hostile acts" and an "unjustified show of force."
- Defence Secretary statement on UK forces in Afghanistan UK MOD 14 Apr 2021 -- Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has made a statement on UK forces in Afghanistan.
- NATO North Atlantic Council support for Afghanistan UK MOD 14 Apr 2021 -- The UK will continue to work closely with the US and our NATO Allies and partners to support a secure and stable Afghanistan.
- UK to follow US in leaving Afghanistan Press TV 14 Apr 2021 -- Following the announcement by the United States government that it is pulling its forces out of Afghanistan in just under six months, the UK has strongly signaled that it will follow the same timetable.
- British Ministers Rebuff Dublin Pleas for Emergency Summit on Northern Ireland VOA 14 Apr 2021 -- Ireland's foreign minister Simon Coveney is expected to press his British counterpart, Dominic Rabb, this week during a meeting in London to convene an emergency British-Irish intergovernmental conference to discuss a recent outbreak of violence in Northern Ireland.
- Iran to start uranium enrichment up to 60%: E3 statement UK FCDO 14 Apr 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany and the United Kingdom respond to Iran's announcement that it will start uranium enrichment up to 60%.
- UK Records 2472 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 13 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2472 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 23 deaths.
- Britain Reopens as Rest of Europe Goes Into Lockdown VOA 13 Apr 2021 -- Much of Europe has been forced back into lockdown amid a deadly third wave of the coronavirus. In Britain however, pubs, shops and services reopened Monday as the government hailed its vaccination program for cutting infections.
- UK records another 1,730 coronavirus cases, 7 deaths People's Daily 12 Apr 2021 -- Another 1,730 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,369,775, according to official figures released Sunday.
- Implementing the UN Strategy for Peace Consolidation, Conflict Prevention and Conflict Resolution in the Great Lakes Region UK FCDO 12 Apr 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on the Great Lakes region
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Situation Along Ukraine's Borders US Dept. of State 12 Apr 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- UK armed forces bill would limit war crimes accountability: UN rights chief UN News 12 Apr 2021 -- Legislation under consideration in the UK regarding armed forces personnel could limit accountability for war crimes if it is passed in its current form, UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet said on Monday.
- Irish Prime Minister Warns Against Return to Violence in Northern Ireland VOA 10 Apr 2021 -- Irish Prime Minister MicheĂˇl Martin observed the 23rd anniversary of an agreement that ended most of the three decades of sectarian violence over British rule in Northern Ireland Saturday by warning against a return to the prolonged unrest.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with UK Foreign Secretary Raab US Dept. of State 10 Apr 2021
- U.K. Coroner Rules Exiled Russian Critic Of Putin Was Strangled RFE/RL 10 Apr 2021 -- A British coroner has determined that an exiled Russian critic of President Vladimir Putin was strangled to death by "a third party" at his home in a southwest suburb of London.
- Prime Minister's statement on the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh Gov.UK 09 Apr 2021 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson's statement on the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
- Unrest escalates in Northern Ireland as UK tensions resurface Press TV 09 Apr 2021 -- Violent clashes have broken out between police and pro-British unionist protesters after a night of rioting in the capital of Northern Ireland, Belfast.
- RAF clears Daesh stronghold in Iraq in support of an Iraqi Security Force operation UK MOD 08 Apr 2021 -- A Daesh stronghold in northern Iraq has been cleared as part of Operation Shader, the Ministry of Defence has announced today. The RAF has carried out a series of air strikes working in support of the Iraqi Security Forces ground operations. Operation Shader remains essential to dismantling Daesh's networks and reducing the terrorist group's global ambitions.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 08 Apr 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Belfast Riots: Fears of Return to Sectarian Violence as Brexit Stokes Divisions VOA 08 Apr 2021 -- After six consecutive nights of rioting in Belfast, fears are growing of a return to violence in Northern Ireland, nearly 23 years after the Good Friday Agreement brought an end to three decades of sectarian killings and bomb attacks.
- Northern Ireland Leaders Condemn Recent Violence VOA 08 Apr 2021 -- Northern Ireland political leaders from all sides united Thursday to call for calm after at least four nights of street violence prompted by Brexit-induced trade barriers between the region and the rest of Britain.
- Former First Minister Alex Salmond ups the ante on Scottish independence Press TV 07 Apr 2021 -- The leader of the newly-formed Alba Party, Alex Salmond, has called for "negotiations" on Scottish independence immediately after the Holyrood election in May, which Salmond believes will deliver a "supermajority" for pro-independence parties.
- UK pledges to support Kiev in face of 'destabilizing' Russian actions Press TV 06 Apr 2021 -- In a telephone call with Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has affirmed his government's "unwavering support" for "Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity" in the face of alleged Russian military movements in the Crimea and on the Russia-Ukrainian border.
- UK set to continue support for Iraqi Kurdish region Press TV 06 Apr 2021 -- James Cleverly, the Minister of State for Middle East and North Africa, has stressed the UK's firm support for the Kurds and specifically the Kurdish region in the North of Iraq through a statement on Monday (April 05).
- UK Prime Minister Confirms Step 2 of COVID-19 Lockdown Easing to Go Ahead in England Sputnik 05 Apr 2021 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed on Monday that step 2 of the roadmap out of the COVID-19 lockdown in England will go ahead as planned from 12 April, adding that he will be among the people that "will be raising a pint of beer to my lips."
- Northern Ireland rocked by further riots and disorder Press TV 05 Apr 2021 -- Rioting and communal violence shows no sign of abating in tension-wracked Northern Ireland as loyalist gangs continue to go on the rampage.
- 1.1 million Britons reported having long COVID symptoms: ONS People's Daily 02 Apr 2021 -- About 1.1 million people in Britain have reported having long COVID symptoms over a four-week period ending March 6, figures from the British Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed Thursday.
- UK records another 4,479 coronavirus cases, 51 deaths People's Daily 02 Apr 2021 -- Another 4,479 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,350,266, according to official figures released Thursday.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Situation in Tigray, Ethiopia US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- UK and Qatar expand defence partnership UK MOD 01 Apr 2021 -- Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and his Qatari counterpart, HE Dr Khalid bin Mohamed Al Attiyah, have announced an expansion of the relationship between each nation's air force.
- UK records another 4,052 coronavirus cases, 43 deaths People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Another 4,052 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 4,345,788, according to official figures released Wednesday.
- Britain-EU row over coronavirus vaccine likely to continue amid supply shortages People's Daily 01 Apr 2021 -- Tensions remain unabated between Britain and the European Union (EU) as a spat over COVID-19 vaccines is likely to go on due to continued shortage of supplies.
- UK announces further sanctions on Myanmar military-linked companies UK FCDO 01 Apr 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has announced further measures targeting the Myanmar regime today and a boost to funding for evidence gathering of violations.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list