Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2020 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Royal Marines travel to Belarus for winter warfare exercise UK MOD 29 Feb 2020 -- Thirty members of 42 Commando will conduct cold weather training on the two-week exercise
- £330 million sonar contract for Dreadnought submarines UK MOD 28 Feb 2020 -- BAE Systems Submarines, which is building four nuclear submarines for the Royal Navy, has awarded work worth around £330 million to Thales UK.
- Boris Johnson to chair emergency Cobra meeting- first patient reported in Wales Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- An emergency Cobra meeting of government ministers, to discuss the rapidly escalating global coronavirus crisis, has been called by Boris Johnson for Monday.
- UN study projects $32 billion loss for UK post no-deal Brexit UN News 26 Feb 2020 -- The United Kingdom (UK) risks losing up to 14 per cent of its exports to the European Union (EU) in a so-called "no-deal" Brexit, according to a new study by the UN Conference on Trade, Investment and Development (UNCTAD).
- Defence Secretary announces programme to replace the UK's nuclear warhead UK MOD 25 Feb 2020 -- Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has today announced the start of a new nuclear replacement warhead programme in Parliament.
- Over 2,000 UK personnel deploy to Norway for major Arctic warfare exercise UK MOD 25 Feb 2020 -- Royal Marines, Royal Navy ships and an air group from Joint Helicopter Command will contribute to Exercise Cold Response 2020.
- EU Sets Terms for Post-Brexit Talks VOA 25 Feb 2020 -- European Union members said Tuesday they are ready to offer Britain a substantial and wide-ranging post-Brexit trade deal, but differences between the two sides are wide – even before they start talks next week.
- UK govt. under barrage of criticism for secretly inking nuclear deal with US Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- The UK government has come under criticism after it transpired that the country has secretly committed itself to buying a new generation of nuclear warheads from the United States to replace Trident, a deal which will cost Britain billions of pounds.
- Boris Johnson leaps to Priti Patel's defence in her conflict with MI5 Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- Home Secretary, Priti Patel, has denied a damaging rift with MI5 bosses who are reportedly concerned about her foreign connections and aggressive leadership style.
- MI5 bosses reported to be wary of 'bullying' and over-ambitious Patel Press TV 23 Feb 2020 -- Britain's hard right Home Secretary, Priti Patel, is under renewed pressure today as reports emerge of a serious rift between her and the chiefs of the Security Service, MI5.
- Biggest defence and security review in decades is struggling to get off the ground Press TV 22 Feb 2020 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson's much-vaunted defence and security review is descending into chaos, in large measure because of the incoherence at the heart of government.
- UK condemns Russia's GRU over Georgia cyber-attacks UK FCO 20 Feb 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab calls out Russia's campaign of unacceptable cyber-attacks against Georgia.
- UK to Maintain Syria Sanctions After Transition Period – Foreign Office Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- The United Kingdom will keep sanctions on Syria in place after it unbinds its laws from those of the European Union, the Foreign Office said Monday.
- UK further commits to NATO and European Security through JEF Readiness Declaration and deployment of Typhoons to Lithuania UK MOD 12 Feb 2020 -- Defence Secretary Ben Wallace underlined the UK's leading role in the NATO Alliance as he met fellow defence ministers in Brussels.
- Sinn Féin victory throws down the gauntlet at the British establishment Press TV 10 Feb 2020 -- The Irish Republican group, Sinn Féin, has achieved an historic breakthrough in the Republic of Ireland's general election.
- British Officials Plan for Coronavirus, as Economists Divided on Impact VOA 09 Feb 2020 -- The British government is drafting contingency plans to cope with factory shutdowns in China spurred by the coronavirus outbreak.
- First UK night flights land in HMS Queen Elizabeth UK MOD 07 Feb 2020 -- Four F-35 Lightning jets have completed night landings in HMS Queen Elizabeth flying over UK waters on operational training.
- Britain's Boris Johnson Moves to Keep Terrorists Imprisoned VOA 05 Feb 2020 -- Britain's deradicalization programs are once again in the spotlight after Sunday's terror knife attack in which two people were injured in London, with questions being asked about why they are less successful than those of many other countries – in Europe and the Middle East – in deradicalizing youngsters.
- Bold new beginning for Global Britain UK FCO 05 Feb 2020 -- Bold new beginning for Global Britain as Foreign Secretary kicks off Asia-Pacific tour.
- Brexit: More Europe, or Less? VOA 03 Feb 2020 -- Brexit Day, with its mixed emotions, exposed how wide the rift with the European Union remains and how difficult it will be to bridge the gap now that Britain has left the trading bloc.
- Britain officially leaves the European Union Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- The United Kingdom has officially left the European Union after 47 years of membership, in a step cast by Prime Minister Boris Johnson as the dawn of new era.
- Britain formally leaves EU after 47 years of membership People's Daily 01 Feb 2020 -- my job -- is to bring this country together and take us forward," he said. "And the most important thing to say tonight is that this is not an end but a beginning."
- Britain officially leaves the European Union RFE/RL 01 Feb 2020 -- The United Kingdom has officially left the European Union after 47 years of membership, in a step cast by Prime Minister Boris Johnson as the dawn of new era.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list