Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2019 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK Defence Chief Carter Claims Country 'at War on Daily Basis' Against Alleged Russian Cyber Attacks Sputnik 30 Sep 2019 -- Russia has repeatedly rejected accusations of its involvement in global cyber attacks, with presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov slamming such allegations as "absolutely unfounded" and "absurd".
- Royal Advisers: The Queen Isn't Amused VOA 29 Sep 2019 -- Despite a personal apology from beleaguered Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Buckingham Palace sources say Queen Elizabeth is deeply frustrated at being drawn into the political firestorm raging over Brexit.
- Foreign Secretary statement ahead of Afghanistan election UK FCO 27 Sep 2019 -- The Foreign Secretary has commented on Afghanistan's presidential election which is taking place on Saturday 28 September.
- British-Flagged Tanker Reaches Dubai Port After Departing Iran RFE/RL 27 Sep 2019 -- The British-flagged oil tanker that was seized by Iran in July has arrived at Dubai's Port Rashid in the United Arab Emirates, according ship-tracking websites.
- UK-flagged tanker Stena Impero leaves Iranian port IRNA 27 Sep 2019 -- UK-flagged tanker "Stena Impero left Bandar Abbas port, Iran at 09:00 am on Friday morning and began its route towards the Persian Gulf International Maritime Traffic Corridor.
- Iran confirms impounded UK oil tanker left for intl. waters Press TV 27 Sep 2019 -- The British-flagged oil tanker Stena Impero, which had been impounded in Iran's Bandar Abbas port for two months over violation of international maritime law, has finally set sail and is leaving Iranian waters for Dubai, an Iranian organization and the ship owner confirmed Friday.
- UK-Flagged Oil Tanker Stena Impero Departs Iran's Bandar Abbas Port Sputnik 27 Sep 2019 -- Iranian government spokesman Ali Rabiei said earlier that Tehran had completed the necessary legal procedures for releasing the tanker Stena Impero.
- British PM faces mounting pressure as parliament reconvenes People's Daily 26 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson faced enormous pressure as the parliament re-opened Wednesday after the Supreme Court ruled his act to suspend the parliament for five weeks was unlawful.
- A holistic approach to supporting peace and security in Africa UK FCO 26 Sep 2019 -- Statement by Ambassador Jonathan Allen, UK Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Peace and Security in Africa
- International humanitarian law and counter-terrorism UK FCO 26 Sep 2019 -- Statement by Ambassador Karen Pierce at the Security Council debate on UN cooperation with regional/sub-regional organisations in maintaining peace and security
- Iran's violations of international law: Foreign Secretary's statement UK FCO 25 Sep 2019 -- Speaking in the House of Commons, Dominic Raab called upon Iran to respect the basic principles of the rules-based international system.
- British PM Johnson Fights for Political Survival After Supreme Court Blow VOA 25 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is fighting for his political survival following a ruling from Britain's Supreme Court Tuesday that his decision to suspend Parliament earlier this month was unlawful.
- Brexit Brings About Political Role Reversal VOA 25 Sep 2019 -- As lawmakers from Britain's main Labour opposition party crowded around televisions in the coastal town of Brighton, where they're holding their annual conference, there was an audible collective intake of breath.
- UK's Johnson warns of dystopian digital future, calls on UN to set global standards for emerging technologies UN News 24 Sep 2019 -- United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday evening focused his address at the UN mainly on the looming threat of artificial intelligence run amok, but also made a brief reference to Brexit – comparing the process of the UK's delayed departure from the European Union to classical Greek mythology.
- Supreme Court rules prorogation illegal Press TV 24 Sep 2019 -- In an unprecedented move, the Supreme Court has just ruled that the British government acted unlawfully in proroguing parliament for five weeks.
- UK Supreme Court rules Johnson's parliament suspension unlawful; Corbyn urges him to resign Press TV 24 Sep 2019 -- The UK Supreme Court has ruled "unlawful" Prime Minister Boris Johnson's move in advising Queen Elizabeth to suspend parliament in the weeks preceding the country's pending exit from the European Union.
- Johnson Says He Will Respect the Supreme Court Ruling That His Parliament Prorogation Was Illegal Sputnik 24 Sep 2019 -- The UK Supreme Court ruled Boris Johnson's suspension of parliament as unlawful on Tuesday, seeing speaker John Bercow instruct Parliament to reconvene on Wednesday.
- UK Supreme Court Judges Rule Boris Johnson's Suspension of Parliament Was Unlawful Sputnik 24 Sep 2019 -- Britain's Parliament was suspended two weeks ago by the Prime Minister in a special prorogation order, signed by the Queen as head of state. Opponents of a no-deal Brexit say it was unlawful.
- Britain's Supreme Court Rules Suspension of Parliament Unlawful VOA 24 Sep 2019 -- Britain's Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that Prime Minister Boris Johnson's decision to suspend parliament for five weeks was unlawful and is "void and of no effect."
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Johnson of the United Kingdom Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 24 Sep 2019
- Hunt Says London Will Pay $500Mln Tanks Debt to Iran After Court Rules on Final Amount Sputnik 24 Sep 2019 -- Former UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said that the UK would pay its 400 billion pound (nearly $500 million) debt to Iran after formal court proceedings on the amount owed were completed, but the repayment could not be considered a bargaining chip in talks on the release of a UK-Iranian national currently detained by Tehran.
- New Syrian Constitutional Committee: Foreign Secretary statement UK FCO 23 Sep 2019 -- The UK welcomes the formation of the Committee, as part of the UN led political process for peace in Syria.
- Tanker Trackers: British Vessel Detained by Iran Receives Fuel for Journey Home VOA 23 Sep 2019 -- A global tanker tracking company says a British-flagged oil tanker detained by Iran since July has begun receiving fuel for its return journey after Iranian officials said it was free to leave the country's waters.
- British oil tanker allowed to leave: Iran's government spokesman ISNA 23 Sep 2019 -- Iran's government spokesman, Ali Rabiei stressed on Monday that the legal process of releasing the British oil tanker has finished and based on that it is allowed to leave.
- Iran releases seized British oil tanker People's Daily 23 Sep 2019 -- Iran released British oil tanker, the Stena Impero, detained in the Strait of Hormuz in July for "maritime violations," Tasnim news agency reported on Sunday.
- Iran: Legal Steps Completed For Release Of British-Flagged Tanker RFE/RL 23 Sep 2019 -- Iran says the legal steps required for the release of the British-flagged oil tanker it seized along with its crew in July have been completed.
- Britain Says Iran Responsible For Attack On Saudi Oil Facilities RFE/RL 23 Sep 2019 -- U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson says Britain has concluded Iran was responsible for the September 14 attack on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia, and will consider taking part in a U.S.-led military effort to bolster the kingdom's defenses.
- Britain, France, Germany, Blame Iran For Saudi Attack, Urge Talks On Nuclear, Missile Issues RFE/RL 23 Sep 2019 -- The leaders of Britain, France, and Germany have backed the United States in assertions that Iran is to blame for the attack on Saudi oil facilities and urged Tehran to choose dialogue over "provocation."
- Operation Cobra Warrior: Israeli F-15s Join RAF for First Ever Joint Drills on British Soil Sputnik 20 Sep 2019 -- The Israeli and British fighter jets conducted military exercise together over the eastern Mediterranean several months ago, and the drills also involved the US Air Force at the time.
- Britain's second carrier sets sail for sea trials UK MOD 19 Sep 2019 -- Britain's newest aircraft carrier, HMS Prince of Wales, has sailed from Rosyth Dockyard for the first time.
- Envoy Insists Brexit Must Produce No 'Hard Border' With Irish Republic VOA 19 Sep 2019 -- As the Oct. 31 Brexit deadline approaches, Ireland's ambassador to the United States is expressing a degree of optimism that a creative solution may be found, but he insists there has to be a legally binding agreement "that there can never be a hard border on the island of Ireland."
- Construction of F35 facilities progressing at RAF Lakenheath UK MOD 17 Sep 2019 -- Work is progressing on buildings that will be home to 2 US Air Force F35 squadrons at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk.
- Ireland Braces for Impact of Boris Johnson's No-Deal Brexit VOA 17 Sep 2019 -- A no-deal Brexit would cause havoc to the island of Ireland and agri-businesses on both sides of the border are fearful of the impact.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 16 Sep 2019 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- Johnson vows to withdraw UK from EU on Oct. 31 Press TV 15 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he will find a way to take Britain out of the European Union (EU) on Oct. 31.
- UK PM Boris Johnson Believes Brexit Deal With EU Possible Within Weeks - Report Sputnik 15 Sep 2019 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson earlier this week reiterated - after his bid for snap elections again failed in the British Parliament - that he would do everything in his power to strike a deal with the European Union and confirmed that his administration would not ask Brussels for an extension of the 31 October withdrawal date.
- British PM faces pressure to recall Parliament People's Daily 13 Sep 2019 -- Britain's Labour Party warned it is "more important than ever" that Parliament be recalled after the government published its no-deal Brexit assessment that confirmed there are "severe risks" for crashing out of the European Union.
- Political figures react to release of Operation Yellowhammer Press TV 13 Sep 2019 -- The UK Government's release of Operation Yellowhammer has led many political figures and experts to question PM Boris Johnson's motives and competence.
- Media express shock at the UK Government's Operation Yellowhammer report Press TV 13 Sep 2019 -- The media have come out to express outrage at the UK Government's proposals in the Yellowhammer contingency plan – a worst-case Brexit scenario consisting of dire economic circumstances for many people and businesses.
- Babcock Team 31 selected as preferred bidder for UK Type 31 frigate programme Babcock 12 Sep 2019 -- Babcock Team 31 has been selected by the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) as the preferred bidder to deliver its new warships. Led by Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, and in partnership with the Thales Group, the T31 general purpose frigate programme will provide the UK Government with a fleet of five ships, at an average production cost of £250 million per ship.
- Boris Johnson Bangs Drum for Scottish Jobs as He Buys Five Warships for the Royal Navy Sputnik 12 Sep 2019 -- Britain has a proud maritime tradition and the Royal Navy was, until the 1940s, the world's most powerful force at sea. Nowadays it has less ships than the Finnish and Indonesian navies.
- UK Royal Air Force to Use Artificial Intelligence Against Russian A2AD "Missile Bubbles' - Report Sputnik 12 Sep 2019 -- The British military is reportedly mulling the idea of countering anti-access area-denial capabilities (A2/AD) 'missile bubbles' by applying artificial intelligence (AI), as well as with the use of new weapons and equipment.
- Did Boris Johnson Lie to the Queen? VOA 12 Sep 2019 -- Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson flatly denied Thursday that he lied to Britain's monarch when asking Queen Elizabeth to suspend parliament for five weeks in the run-up to a Brexit deadline – a controversial suspension that's being challenged in the country's courts and drawing reluctant judges deep into political waters.
- £100m boost for cutting-edge Protector aircraft UK MOD 11 Sep 2019 -- The Ministry of Defence has signed a contract worth approximately £100 million to test the performance of the UK's ground-breaking Protector aircraft.
- Scottish Judges Rule Boris Johnson's Suspension of Parliament 'Unlawful' But UK Government to Appeal Sputnik 11 Sep 2019 -- Boris Johnson shut down the UK Parliament for five weeks on Monday despite furious objections by the opposition. Now he is facing a legal challenge.
- Scottish Court Rules British Parliament Suspension Unlawful VOA 11 Sep 2019 -- A Scottish court ruled Wednesday that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's move to suspend parliament was unlawful.
- Britain on Election Footing as Crisis Pits Parliament vs. Prime Minister VOA 11 Sep 2019 -- Britain is getting set for a general election likely to be held in November, as the political crisis over the country's exit from the European Union deepens.
- Britain warned against collaborating with US against China Press TV 10 Sep 2019 -- In a significant escalation of Sino-British tensions, China has warned the UK against sailing ships in Chinese territorial waters in the South China Sea.
- France and Holland signal they may veto Brexit extension Press TV 10 Sep 2019 -- In a sign of growing European exasperation with the chaotic state of affairs in Westminster, France and the Netherlands have indicated they may oppose an extension to Brexit.
- Next generation unmanned system unveiled at DSEi UK MOD 10 Sep 2019 -- A next-generation unmanned system that could be used to protect the UK's future warships has been unveiled by Defence Secretary Ben Wallace today.
- UK Government continues to support The Bahamas relief effort UK MOD 10 Sep 2019 -- The UK has been providing vital support and assistance to the people of The Bahamas following the devastation caused by Hurricane Dorian.
- UK Lawmakers Reject Snap Parliamentary Election Sputnik 10 Sep 2019 -- British lawmakers have voted to reject UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's request to hold an early election.
- British Parliament Again Rejects New Elections VOA 09 Sep 2019 -- Britain's parliament has for the second time rejected Prime Minister Boris Johnson's plan to hold early elections in an attempt to break the Brexit deadlock.
- Will Trump-Like Behavior Backfire on Britain's Boris Johnson? VOA 09 Sep 2019 -- After Boris Johnson won the Conservative party contest in July to succeed Theresa May as Britain's prime minister, U.S. President Donald Trump welcomed his victory, praising him as "Britain Trump."
- Queen Elizabeth Approves Measure to Block Johnson's No-deal Brexit VOA 09 Sep 2019 -- Britain's Queen Elizabeth gave her approval Monday to legislation seeking to block Prime Minister Boris Johnson from carrying out a no-deal Brexit, his plan to take the country out of the European Union on October 31 without spelling out the terms of the split.
- Iran says to release seized British oil tanker "soon" People's Daily 09 Sep 2019 -- Iran said Sunday that the seized British-flagged oil tanker Stena Impero would be released in the coming days, official IRNA news agency reported.
- British Politician Resigns Over Prime Minister's Handling of Brexit VOA 08 Sep 2019 -- A senior minister of Britain's ruling Conservative party has resigned because she does not think the prime minister is serious about creating a Brexit divorce deal.
- Readout of U.S. Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper's Visit to London, United Kingdom DoD 07 Sep 2019
- British PM set to defy law rather than seek Brexit delay Global Times 07 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday insisted he "will not" ask the European Union to delay Brexit again, even if he is required to do so by law.
- Royal Navy deploys medics to support humanitarian efforts following Bahamas hurricane UK MOD 07 Sep 2019 -- The Royal Navy has deployed extra medics to join Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship Mounts Bay in delivering humanitarian assistance to the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian.
- British PM says NHS "not on table" in post-Brexit trade talks with U.S. People's Daily 06 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Thursday that the NHS, the British national health service, is "not on the table" during any post-Brexit trade deal talks with the United States.
- House of Lords Approves Bill to Force Prime Minister Johnson to Seek Brexit Delay Sputnik 06 Sep 2019 -- Earlier, the House of Commons rejected the prime minister's calls for a snap general election, instead approving a bill seeking to prevent the government from withdrawing the UK from the European Union on October 31 if an agreement with Brussels is not in place.
- 'I'd Rather Be Dead in a Ditch' - Boris Johnson Rules Out Brexit Delay Sputnik 05 Sep 2019 -- On Wednesday night, the House of Commons rejected Boris Johnson's snap election proposal, giving the green light to a so-called Benn Bill that stipulates Britain will exit the EU as planned on 31 October only provided there is a comprehensive deal with Brussels.
- Will Boris Johnson's Election Gamble Pay Off? VOA 05 Sep 2019 -- No one has ever seen the like before in modern times. Britain's storied Parliament has made plenty of history over the centuries – from the rhetorical clashes between the great Victorian rivals William Gladstone and Benjamin Disraeli to William Wilberforce's campaign to prohibit British ships trafficking in slaves to the Americas.
- British PM Johnson Maintains Push for Early General Election, Despite Defeats VOA 05 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson continued to push Thursday for an early general election, despite several defeats in parliament and the sudden resignation of his brother from his post as a junior minister and from parliament.
- British PM Johnson Suffers Historic Brexit Defeats as Election Looms VOA 05 Sep 2019 -- Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson suffered a series of damaging defeats Wednesday over the government's policy on leaving the European Union.
- Remarks by Vice President Pence and Prime Minister Johnson of the United Kingdom Before Bilateral Meeting | London, United Kingdom The White House 05 Sep 2019
- RFA Mounts Bay conducts successful casualty evacuation and search and rescue mission UK MOD 05 Sep 2019 -- The Royal Navy Wildcat deployed with RFA Mounts Bay in the Caribbean has rescued a British citizen who had been trapped beneath rubble for several days on Great Abaco Island.
- Iranian compliance with the nuclear deal: UK statement, 5 September 2019 UK FCO 05 Sep 2019 -- Iran has announced its intention to further reduce its level of compliance with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA).
- UK lawmakers reject PM's motion for early election on Oct. 15 People's Daily 05 Sep 2019 -- British lawmakers on Wednesday rejected a motion tabled by Prime Minister Boris Johnson calling for a general election on Oct. 15, dealing another blow to the prime minister, who vowed to take his country out of the European Union on Oct. 31 with or without a deal.
- Finishing touches put to £30 million project to prepare Portsmouth for second aircraft carrier UK MOD 04 Sep 2019 -- The finishing touches are being put to Portsmouth's Naval Base to prepare for the arrival of the HMS Prince of Wales aircraft carrier.
- RFA Mounts Bay delivers aid to The Bahamas UK MOD 04 Sep 2019 -- Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship RFA Mounts Bay has delivered essential aid to residents of Great Abaco in The Bahamas.
- British Lawmakers Deal Another Blow to PM Johnson's Brexit Plan VOA 04 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson suffered another blow Wednesday when the House of Commons voted in favor of a measure forcing the government to ask the EU to delay Brexit another three months if there is no exit deal by Johnson's October 31 deadline. The measure now goes to Parliament's upper chamber, the House of Lords.
- Report Warns No-Deal Brexit Means Political Uncertainty VOA 04 Sep 2019 -- The British government announced Wednesday that it would spend an additional $2.4 billion on preparing to leave the European Union, bringing the total spent so far on Brexit readiness to more than $10 billion.
- Amid British Brexit Turmoil, EU Braces for Worst VOA 04 Sep 2019 -- Britain's political turmoil is again making headlines across the English Channel, with a number of European commentators criticizing Prime Minister Boris Johnson's handling of Brexit.
- British PM loses key Brexit vote in parliament People's Daily 04 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday lost a key Brexit vote in the House of Commons as anti-no deal MPs take control of the parliamentary business.
- UK Lawmakers Approve Brexit Delay Law at Final House of Commons Stage Sputnik 04 Sep 2019 -- Since assuming office, Johnson has been pushing for withdrawal by the 31 October deadline even without a deal. Because he lost the parliamentary majority, the prime minister can no longer guarantee that UK lawmakers will ratify any potential deal, should Brussels agree to renegotiate.
- British PM Johnson Calls for Early Election After Rebel Lawmakers Hijack Brexit VOA 03 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he has no choice but to call for early elections after a group of rebel lawmakers in Parliament seized control over the issue of Brexit.
- "No way will I ask Brussels to delay Brexit", says British PM People's Daily 03 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday night outside 10 Downing Street that there are no circumstances in which he will ask the European Union (EU) to delay his country's departure from the bloc.
- Boris Johnson Says 'Under No Circumstances' Will He Ask EU to Delay Brexit Sputnik 02 Sep 2019 -- Earlier in the day, the BBC reported that newly-minted UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson would deliver a statement on Brexit outside No. 10 as rebel lawmakers are seeking to push for yet another deadline extension for the country's withdrawal from the European Union.
- RAF Typhoons complete NATO air policing mission in Estonia UK MOD 02 Sep 2019 -- Royal Air Force Typhoon jets return to their Lincolnshire base today after completing the NATO Baltic Air Policing mission and handing over to Gripen aircraft from the Czech Air Force.
- Britain's Johnson Threatens Expulsion of Tory Rebels Over Brexit Dispute VOA 02 Sep 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson threatened Monday to expel any Conservative Party rebels if they try to block his push for a no-deal exit next month from the European Union.
- Britain Set for Explosive Week Ahead in Brexit Showdown VOA 02 Sep 2019 -- Britain is bracing for an explosive week of political battles which could prove crucial in Britain's proposed exit from the European Union – and in determining the fate of new Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
- UK Minister Claims HMS Queen Elizabeth Carrier Not Needed to Take on 'Cheeky Iranians' in the Gulf Sputnik 01 Sep 2019 -- The statement comes as the captain of the UK Royal Navy's most powerful ship admitted that HMS Queen Elizabeth suffers weekly floods, which he said are "inevitable".
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list