Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2019 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Captain Admits 'a Flood a Week' on Board UK Royal Navy's Most Powerful Warship Sputnik 31 Aug 2019 -- Last month, the HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier sprang a leak, forcing the UK Royal Navy's flagship to cut its five-week long sea trials short and return to port in Portsmouth, UK.
- UK MoD and Airbus Defence and Space withdraw from Canada’s Future Fighter Capability Project Airbus 30 Aug 2019 -- The United Kingdom’s Ministry of Defence (UK MoD) and Airbus Defence and Space today informed the Government of Canada of their decision to withdraw from Canada’s Future Fighter Capability Project (FFCP). The decision is the result of a detailed review of the Request for Proposal (RFP), following its release on 23 July 2019.
- HMS Queen Elizabeth sails to US for fighter jet trials UK MOD 30 Aug 2019 -- Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth has sailed from Portsmouth today, bound for the east coast of the USA for operational trials.
- Britain Heads Into Mother of All Battles in Parliament VOA 30 Aug 2019 -- Britain's politicians are gearing up for what is being dubbed the mother of all battles in the mother of parliaments – a clash that could reshape Britain's democracy for decades to come by deciding whether the House of Commons or the government has the upper political hand.
- Opposition Mounts to British Leader's Move to Suspend Parliament as Brexit Deadline Nears VOA 29 Aug 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson continued to face mounting criticism Thursday over his move to suspend parliament until mid-October, only weeks before Britain's scheduled departure from the European Union.
- Britain's Johnson Accused of Mounting a Brexit Coup VOA 28 Aug 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was accused Wednesday of committing a "constitutional outrage" by asking the country's monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, to suspend Parliament for a month, complicating attempts by opposition parties and rebel Conservative lawmakers to thwart his Brexit plans to break away from the European Union.
- British PM Suspends Parliament Until Oct. 14 VOA 28 Aug 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Wednesday that parliament would be suspended until mid-October, a move that angered lawmakers opposed to his planned withdrawal from the European Union on October 31 without a deal and cuts the time they will have to try to block him.
- Johnson: No Prospect of Brexit Deal Unless Talks on EU Withdrawal Reopened Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- The prime minister's spokeswoman said earlier in the day that Johnson was happy to accept the rest of former PM Theresa May's Brexit withdrawal agreement if the backstop was removed, adding that he had been clear the only changes he wanted were about the backstop.
- Britain's Dilemma: US or Europe VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- It was music to the ears of Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson The British will be able to strike a "fantastic deal" with the United States once Britain has thrown off the "anchor" of the European Union, U.S. President Donald Trump told Johnson during a convivial bilateral meeting at the G-7 summit in the French resort of Biarritz, where they breakfasted Sunday on scrambled eggs and veal sausages..
- UK PM says chances of Brexit deal with Brussels improving People's Daily 26 Aug 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Sunday the chances of Britain reaching a Brexit deal with the European Union are improving.
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Johnson of the United Kingdom Before Working Breakfast | Biarritz, France The White House 25 Aug 2019
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Johnson of the United Kingdom in Working Breakfast | Biarritz, France The White House 25 Aug 2019
- Joint Statement Following the Meeting of President Donald J. Trump and Prime Minister Boris Johnson The White House 25 Aug 2019
- Britain dispatches another warship to Persian Gulf: Minister Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Britain's defense minister says the country has dispatched a third warship to the Persian Gulf and Sea of Oman waters amid rising tensions in the region.
- London Sending Third Warship To Persian Gulf To Protect British-Flagged Ships RFE/RL 24 Aug 2019 -- Britain says it is sending a third warship to the Persian Gulf to defend freedom of navigation in the tense region.
- UK Sends Third Warship to Strait of Hormuz Amid Tensions With Iran - Defence Secretary Sputnik 24 Aug 2019 -- Last month, the US suggested establishing an international maritime coalition to patrol the Gulf and 'ensure freedom of navigation' in the region. As of today, only the UK and Australia have joined the US-led mission.
- FCO statement following North Korea missile tests UK FCO 24 Aug 2019 -- The Foreign & Commonwealth Office responds to further short-range ballistic missile tests by North Korea.
- Security, stability and the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty UK FCO 22 Aug 2019 -- Statement by Stephen Hickey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on threats to international peace and security
- Britain to boycott most EU meetings from Sept 1, gov't says Global Times 21 Aug 2019 -- British ministers and officials will boycott most European Union (EU) meetings from Sept 1, the British government announced Tuesday.
- China confirms British consulate employee in HK detained for violating China's rules Global Times 21 Aug 2019 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry confirmed Wednesday that an employee of the British Consulate General in Hong Kong was detained and is being held by Shenzhen police.
- China Says Holding UK Consular Staff Member in 'Administrative Detention' Radio Free Asia 21 Aug 2019 -- China confirmed on Wednesday it is holding a British consulate staff member from Hong Kong under administrative detention after his family reported him missing for 11 days.
- China Confirms Detention of Staffer from Britain's Hong Kong Consulate VOA 21 Aug 2019 -- China confirmed on Wednesday that a local employee at Britain's Hong Kong consulate has been held under a 15-day administrative detention because of allegations of violating local laws.
- Royal Air Force Fighter Jets Escort Russian Aircraft Over Baltic, UK Defence Ministry Says Sputnik 20 Aug 2019 -- The Royal Air Force scrambled Typhoon fighters from a military airfield in Estonia to escort two Russian Su-30 aircraft, the UK Ministry of Defence said on Monday.
- Post-Brexit US-UK Trade Deal Under Threat VOA 20 Aug 2019 -- U.S. Democratic party lawmakers are threatening to kill any free trade deal Britain strikes with the Trump administration, if a post-Brexit border is re-established across the island of Ireland. They argue a so-called "hard border" threatens a peace agreement the U.S.-brokered in the 1990s, which ended three-decades of violence in Northern Ireland.
- Johnson Heads to Europe, Calls for New Brexit Negotiations VOA 19 Aug 2019 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will head to Berlin and Paris this week in a bid to persuade German and French leaders to reopen Brexit negotiations and secure a new departure deal for Britain from the European Union.
- UK's military dependence on US continues to grow, as Britain's armed forces shrink for ninth consecutive year. Press TV 16 Aug 2019 -- UK's dependence on the US as the military-power-in-charge continues to grow, as a new report reveals the size of Britain's armed forces has fallen for the ninth consecutive year. The Army, the RAF and the Royal Navy have all seen a decline in the number of fully-trained personnel - with the Army experiencing the biggest fall, new Ministry of Defence figures showed.
- Safety in Numbers? UK Armed Forces Slashed to Record Low – Report Sputnik 16 Aug 2019 -- Despite the reported fall in the UK army's size, the country's Defence Ministry insisted that the armed forces continued "to meet all their operational requirements."
- British Police Say A Second Officer Was Exposed To Novichok RFE/RL 15 Aug 2019 -- British detectives said on August 15 that a second police officer was contaminated with a banned Soviet-era nerve agent that was used to target a former Russian spy last year in Salisbury, England.
- FCO Minister Wheeler statement on the continued launches of ballistic missiles by North Korea UK FCO 16 Aug 2019 -- FCO Minister for Asia and the Pacific Heather Wheeler statement on the continued launches of ballistic missiles by North Korea, most recently on 16 August.
- UK and Norway Reinforce North Atlantic Security UK MOD 15 Aug 2019 -- The UK and Norway reinforced their commitment to joint anti-submarine operations in the North Atlantic at RAF Lossiemouth today.
- Pentagon Mulls Deploying F-35 Jets to UK Base Lakenheath - Reports Sputnik 14 Aug 2019 -- US Air Force European Commander Gen. Jeffrey Harrigian said that the move would allow the United States to increase its operative latitude between the UK and allies who have joined the F-35 program, Russian-based media outlets reported Tuesday.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 13 Aug 2019 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- Bolton says Washington favors a no-deal Brexit Press TV 13 Aug 2019 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton has said the United States "enthusiastically" supports a no-deal Brexit.
- Trump Official: US Ready to Seal Trade Deal with Britain Post-Brexit VOA 13 Aug 2019 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told the visiting British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Aug. 7 that the U.S. will be ready, "pen in hand," to sign "a new free trade agreement at the earliest possible time."
- UK RAF Fighter Jets Scrambled to Intercept Russian Strategic Bombers in Neutral Airspace Sputnik 13 Aug 2019 -- Russian warplanes have repeatedly conducted routine flyovers in the past, with the country's Defence Ministry emphasising that the military aircraft adhere to all international norms when performing such missions.
- A truly global future awaits us after Brexit: article by Dominic Raab UK FCO 11 Aug 2019 -- Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, the Foreign Secretary outlines his vision for a truly global Britain.
- Crash of Army Watchkeeper drone embarrasses UK MOD Press TV 11 Aug 2019 -- Reports that one of the Ministry of Defence's (MOD) flagship drones crashed after it "landed beyond its planned touchdown point" will do little to assuage concerns about British Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) programmes.
- Royal Navy Vessel Shadows Advanced Russian Warship in English Channel Again Sputnik 08 Aug 2019 -- While the UK has repeatedly expressed concern over Russian warships routinely passing through the English Channel, Russia's Defence Ministry has underscored that the vessels sail through the area in strict accordance with international norms and regulations.
- RAF Typhoons scramble from UK and Estonia to intercept Russian aircraft UK MOD 08 Aug 2019 -- The Typhoon fighter jets demonstrated the sizable scope of the Royal Air Force's (RAF) contribution to European security after scrambling from two locations in two separate incidents on the same day.
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo And United Kingdom Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab At a Press Availability US Dept. of State 07 Aug 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Britain to join US-led naval mission in Persian Gulf Press TV 06 Aug 2019 -- Britain says it will join a US-led naval mission purportedly aimed at protecting shipping lanes in the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf, where Washington falsely accuses Iran of having been behind a series of attacks on oil tankers.
- RAF Typhoons scrambled twice in two days to intercept Russian military aircraft UK MOD 06 Aug 2019 -- Royal Air Force Typhoon fighter jets have intercepted five Russian military aircraft in the last two days; four after launching on Monday and another today.
- UK Cannot Use Strait of Hormuz If Iran Has No Access to Gibraltar – President Rouhani Sputnik 06 Aug 2019 -- The United Kingdom cannot use the Strait of Hormuz as long as Iran cannot pass through the Strait of Gibraltar, Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday.
- Britain Joining U.S. In Maritime Security Mission In Gulf RFE/RL 05 Aug 2019 -- Britain says it is joining the United States in an "international maritime security mission" to protect merchant vessels traveling through the Strait of Hormuz, a key shipping line that connects the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Sea.
- UK joins international maritime security mission in the Gulf UK MOD 05 Aug 2019 -- The United Kingdom has reaffirmed its commitment to freedom of navigation and safe passage through the Gulf.
- £350m Typhoon engine support contract UK MOD 05 Aug 2019 -- The MOD has signed a contract worth almost £350 million to support the engines that power the UK's fleet of Typhoon fighter jets.
- Johnson Shrugs Off Brexiters' Pleas for Electoral Pact VOA 05 Aug 2019 -- Hard-line Brexiters are echoing U.S. President Donald Trump and urging Britain's new Conservative prime minister, Boris Johnson, to forge an electoral pact with Nigel Farage, the flamboyant Euroskeptic and friend of the American leader.
- UK Brexit minister says deal with Brussels possible if EU leaders allow fresh negotiations People's Daily 05 Aug 2019 -- A plea was made Sunday to Europe's top Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier to urge European Union leaders to re-open negotiations with Britain to avert a no-deal outcome.
- As Brexit Storm Gathers, Britain Looks to Trump for Hope VOA 01 Aug 2019 -- As the likelihood of Britain crashing out of the European Union with no deal at the end of October appears ever more likely, Prime Minister Boris Johnson is facing a tumultuous first few weeks in office. The British currency, the pound sterling, has plunged to two-year lows against the U.S. dollar and the Euro, while there are warnings of widespread disruption in the event of a so-called no-deal Brexit.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list