Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2019 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- RAF Typhoons intercept Russian fighters in Estonia UK MOD 31 May 2019 -- Royal Air Force (RAF) Typhoon fighter jets based at Ämari Air Base in Estonia launched to intercept Russian aircraft for the third time this month.
- Current deal only option to avoid no-deal Brexit, EU warns UK Press TV 30 May 2019 -- The European Union's top negotiator for Brexit Michel Barnier has warned that next government in London would not be allowed to renegotiate the terms of a divorce agreement signed between Brussels and current Prime Minister Theresa May.
- UK Special Forces Sent to 'Capture or Kill' Daesh Leader Al-Baghdadi – Reports Sputnik 30 May 2019 -- The world's most wanted man – Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi – has on numerous occasions been reported to have been killed or seriously wounded, but is believed to be alive and on the run.
- Boris Johnson Has Star Quality, but Can He Run a Government? VOA 30 May 2019 -- He is loathed and feted in equal measure.
- Scotland Publishes Bill 'to Set Rules for Independence Referendum' - Sturgeon Sputnik 29 May 2019 -- The Scottish Government on Wednesday published the legal framework for future referendums, including a potential independence vote, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said.
- UK Labour vows to prevent no-deal Brexit, urges fresh votes Press TV 27 May 2019 -- Leader of Britain's main opposition Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn has warned he will not allow the ruling Conservatives to bring Britain out of the European Union in a disorderly manner and without an agreement.
- UK Labour leader calls for general election or second referendum Press TV 27 May 2019 -- The leader of Britain's opposition Labour Party proposes again that the country's people be given a new say on Brexit, whether through a general election or a second referendum.
- UK spies smuggled out secrets of Russia's strategic supersonic bomber: Reports Press TV 27 May 2019 -- British media claim that the UK's MI6 spy agency has managed to smuggle out secrets about upgrades to Russia's strategic supersonic bombers with the help of the United States' CIA and Israel's Mossad.
- Britain set for new PM after May quits, as Brexit impasse remains Global Times 25 May 2019 -- The search to find a new prime minister started in Britain on Friday just hours after Theresa May announced she was resigning.
- Theresa May's Resignation Raises Chances of British General Election VOA 25 May 2019 -- The resignation announcement Friday by the country's Conservative prime minister Theresa May has increased the likelihood of Britain having to hold a general election this year, say analysts and lawmakers.
- Thousands of troops from UK-led force begin milestone maritime training deployment UK MOD 24 May 2019 -- Exercises got underway today across Scandinavia and the Baltic Sea region as a part of Baltic Protector.
- Turmoil Deepens With May's Exit in Britain VOA 24 May 2019 -- Theresa May became Britain's prime minister in 2016 after the country's vote to leave the European Union prompted the resignation of her predecessor, David Cameron. Now, three years later, May has announced her own resignation, saying she bitterly regretted failing to deliver a Brexit deal.
- Theresa May Quits, But Brexit Puzzle Remains VOA 24 May 2019 -- Theresa May became the third Conservative leader to fall victim to party divisions over Britain's relationship with the European Union, following in the footsteps of Margaret Thatcher and David Cameron.
- RAF Typhoon jets trial miniature missile decoy device UK MOD 23 May 2019 -- The RAF has commenced trials of a new cutting-edge missile decoy device on its Typhoon fighter jets.
- May in deep trouble as House of Commons leader resigns over Brexit Press TV 23 May 2019 -- UK House of Commons Leader Andrea Leadsom, a prominent supporter of the country's exit from the European Union (EU), has stepped down over Prime Minister Theresa May's handling of Brexit.
- Britain's May Urged to Quit VOA 23 May 2019 -- Even by the highly colorful standards of Britain's great big Brexit mess, what looks like Prime Minister Theresa May's final days in office are turning into a psychodrama without much precedence in modern British political history.
- PM statement on new Brexit deal: 22 May 2019 Gov.UK 22 May 2019 -- With permission, Mr Speaker, I would like to make a statement on the Government's work to deliver Brexit by putting forward a new deal that members of this House can stand behind.
- Remarks by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the Cyber Defence Pledge Conference, London NATO 23 May 2019
- UK to warn NATO allies of Russian cyber attack campaign Press TV 23 May 2019 -- Britain is providing information to 16 allies in the NATO military alliance about Russia's cyber activities in their territories over the last 18 months, Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt will announce later on Thursday, a statement that is expected to further muddy the waters between London and Moscow.
- Hunt: Britain Has Helped 16 NATO Allies Tackle Russia Hacking Attempts RFE/RL 23 May 2019 -- Britain has shared information on Russian cyberactivities with 16 NATO allies, helping them counter malicious threats against their countries over the past year and a half, Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt will announce on May 23, AFP and other media outlets reported.
- NATO Cyber Defence Pledge conference: Foreign Secretary's speech UK FCO 23 May 2019 -- Speaking at the National Cyber Security Centre, the Foreign Secretary said NATO must work together to deter Russia's malicious global cyber campaign.
- Cyber innovation at the forefront of UK's approach to modern warfare UK MOD 22 May 2019 -- Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt has announced £22 million in funding for Army cyber operations centres
- NATO Secretary General has talks with UK Defence Secretary NATO 22 May 2019 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with the United Kingdom's Defence Secretary, Penny Mordaunt, in London on Wednesday (22 May 2019). Mr. Stoltenberg congratulated the Defence Secretary on her appointment and said he looked forward to working with her to address the security challenges the Alliance faces.
- UN Urges UK to Leave Overseas Territory Chagos Islands Hosting US Air Base Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- London has retained control over the group of islands in the Indian Ocean, having separated them from Mauritius several years prior to the country receiving independence as part of Britain's decolonisation policy.
- Britain's May Faces Calls to Resign After Revised Brexit Plan Unveiled VOA 22 May 2019 -- British lawmakers are denouncing Prime Minister Theresa May's latest proposal to withdraw from the European Union (EU) amid growing demands from her own Conservative Party for her resignation.
- PM's speech on new Brexit deal: 21 May 2019 Gov.UK 21 May 2019 -- Prime Minister Theresa May delivered a speech on the new Brexit deal.
- UK Royal Navy Leads Its LARGEST Task Force in Europe in Decades Sputnik 21 May 2019 -- The British Defence Ministry said last month that the multinational war games, dubbed Baltic Protector, underlined the "importance of protecting Europe at a time of increased threat" amid ongoing tensions with Russia.
- UK Special Forces 'Joining US Strike Force' in Gulf Amid Iran Tension - Report Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier strike group earlier arrived for patrols in the Arabian Sea, with the US reportedly ready to deploy as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East to counter alleged threats from Tehran.
- Britain announces overhaul of espionage, treason laws Press TV 20 May 2019 -- The British government is preparing parliamentary legislation to overhaul the country's espionage and treason laws.
- MI5, MI6 Briefed on Trump Dossier Before He Knew of Its Existence - Report Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- The dossier, compiled by former MI6 spy Christopher Steele, additionally contained allegations of Russian interference in Trump's election campaign. In April, a report by Special Counsel Robert Mueller concluded that there was no collusion between the US president and the Kremlin.
- UK Warns Iran of US Retaliation if Washington's Interests 'Attacked' Sputnik 20 May 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif lashed out at US President Donal Trump after the latter said that Iran would see its "official end" should it put up a fight against the United States.
- UK sides with US amid rising tensions, threatens Iran with 'retaliation' Press TV 20 May 2019 -- The British government, which has on several occasions endorsed Washington's anti-Iran rhetoric amid heightened tensions between the two countries, has once again taken sides with Washington by brazenly threatening the Islamic Republic that in case US interests were attacked in the region, there would be retaliation.
- UK forces secretly join US troops in Persian Gulf on anti-Iran mission: Report Press TV 19 May 2019 -- An unconfirmed report shows Britain has secretly sent troops to the Persian Gulf to help US forces in the region to counter an alleged threat from Iran.
- Chilling Report Reveals UK Army Lacks Troops to Keep Country Safe Sputnik 19 May 2019 -- In 2012 a £495 mln campaign launched to bring in fresh recruits failed dismally; the company in charge of the effort, Capita, has botched hiring targets every year since then, according to UK's National Audit Office.
- Britain's Labor Party: No Chance of Brexit Ratification by July VOA 17 May 2019 -- Brexit talks appear to have collapsed a day after British Prime Minister Theresa May set out a timetable for her exit from office – the latest sign of a government in tatters.
- EU Approves New Cyber-Sanctions Regime Ahead Of Parliament Elections RFE/RL 17 May 2019 -- The European Union has adopted a new legal tool to slap penalties on those found responsible for cyberattacks on the bloc's member states, as well as third countries and international organizations.
- Cyber criminals face new EU sanctions UK FCO 17 May 2019 -- Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt welcomes new EU cyber sanctions regime pushed for by the UK.
- In quest for bigger military budget, UK's new defense chief speaks of Russian, Chinese threats Press TV 16 May 2019 -- British Defense Secretary Penny Mordaunt, who took the position two weeks ago, has used her maiden speech to plead for more military funding by citing Russia and China as threats, following what has become a trend in the UK's foreign policy of recent months.
- UK Raises Threat Level for Troops in Iraq Over Alleged Risk From Iran - Reports Sputnik 16 May 2019 -- London has raised the threat level for UK troops and diplomats in Iraq over alleged increased security risks from Iran, Sky News reported Wednesday, citing sources.
- UK Warship Escorts Russian Missile Destroyer Through English Channel Sputnik 16 May 2019 -- The Russian Udaloy-class warship, Severomorsk, equipped with ship-to-air "Kinzhal" missile systems, is on its way back to its home port in northern Russia after a long voyage that started almost a year ago and included missions in the Indian Ocean, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, and the Mediterranean.
- RAF Typhoons scramble twice in two days to intercept Russian aircraft UK MOD 16 May 2019 -- Royal Air Force Typhoons deployed in Estonia scramble for the first time since taking over the NATO Baltic Air Policing mission in the country.
- UK and US pilots to prepare for frontline on state-of-the-art simulators UK MOD 16 May 2019 -- Defence Minister Stuart Andrew has announced that British pilots will be able to undertake simultaneous, virtual exercises with US counterparts based across the Atlantic using new cutting-edge simulation technology.
- Defence Secretary keynote speech at the Sea Power Conference 2019 UK MOD 15 May 2019 -- Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt speaks about the Royal Navy and Global Britain.
- 'No increased threat from Iran,' says British general in remarks he refuses to restate Press TV 15 May 2019 -- The British general overseeing the so-called US-led coalition forces in Syria and Iraq has asserted that there has been "no increased threat from Iran" amid the US military buildup in the Persian Gulf, a posture at odds with the United States.
- UK FM calls for military spending boost to meet US demands; deter Russia, China Press TV 14 May 2019 -- British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt says London needs to "decisively" increase its military budget after leaving the European Union (EU) to satisfy US President Donald Trump's demands of more spending while also developing a viable deterrent force against Russia and China.
- UK admits MI5 in 'serious' breach of surveillance safeguards Press TV 14 May 2019 -- Britain's interior minister Sajid Javid has admitted that the country's main domestic intelligence agency MI5 has breached safeguards on protection of data obtained from citizens during interception operations.
- Iran sentences British Council worker to 10 years in jail over spying for UK Press TV 14 May 2019 -- A judicial official says an Iranian woman has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars after she was found guilty of spying for Britain.
- Brexit Delay Plunges Britain Into EU's May 23 Elections VOA 13 May 2019 -- It is an election Britain was never meant to be holding – the country was scheduled to have left the European Union by now.
- UK PM opposes Labour proposal for second Brexit referendum Press TV 13 May 2019 -- Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May has rejected a proposal by the opposition Labour Party for accepting a second referendum on leaving the European Union as a prerequisite for reaching a deal that could guarantee a smooth withdrawal from the bloc.
- UK's spy convicted to 10 years in prison ISNA 13 May 2019 -- A spy accused of cooperation with UK Secret Intelligence Service is convicted to 10 years in prison, the spokesman of Judicial system of Iran announced.
- Tehran Sentences Iranian British Council Worker To 10 Years For 'Spying' RFE/RL 13 May 2019 -- Iran said on May 13 that it has sentenced an Iranian citizen who works for the British Council to 10 years in prison on charges of "spying."
- Britain's air force hunting Daesh leader al-Baghdadi in Libya: Report Press TV 12 May 2019 -- After entering Syria to allegedly fight Daesh, Britain's Royal Air Force (RAF) is now in Libya on a mission to "capture or kill" the leader of the Takfiri terrorist group who has apparently fled to the North African country, according to a new report.
- Ukrainian and UK Ships Hold Joint Drills in Black Sea Sputnik 10 May 2019 -- Ukraine's Pryluky missile boat and the Echo hydrographic survey ship of the UK Royal Navy have conducted joint military drills in the Black Sea, the press service of the Ukrainian Navy said on Friday.
- UK boosting space defense to prevent Russia, China attack: Leaked memo Press TV 09 May 2019 -- The UK has been designing a space defense mechanism to protect its satellites from possible attacks by Russia and China, leaked documents show.
- US Marines Will Fly F-35Bs from British Aircraft Carrier in 2021 Sputnik 08 May 2019 -- A US Marine Corps F-35B squadron is going to serve the first-ever deployment on a foreign aircraft carrier by a US squadron in 2021, when it will set sail with the UK's HMS Queen Elizabeth.
- UK Drops Idea of "Budget Frigate" Amid Fears It Won't be Able to Defend Itself Sputnik 08 May 2019 -- Instead, the government has found a way to reduce the costs of construction for contractors, hoping that now the deal on 5 ships can be closed by the end of 2019. The first vessel is expected to be ready in 2023.
- Press Availability With British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt US Dept. of State 08 May 2019 -- Press Availability by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- The Special Relationship US Dept. of State 08 May 2019 -- Press Availability by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Jeremy Hunt's opening remarks at press conference with Mike Pompeo UK FCO 08 May 2019 -- The Foreign Secretary was speaking in London on 8 May alongside the US Secretary of State.
- Pompeo Visits London to Reaffirm US-UK Ties VOA 08 May 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States' and Britain's "special relationship" will flourish despite differences over Iran's nuclear program and China's involvement with the British communications network.
- Britain's Post-Brexit Conundrum – America or China? VOA 08 May 2019 -- Britain is eager to negotiate trade deals with the United States and China to compensate for leaving the European Union, by far the country's largest trading partner, but it is already discovering the snag of balancing geo-political requests of its traditional ally with the ambitions of Beijing, say analysts and diplomats.
- UK has to fight EU parliament elections despite Brexit talks: Government Press TV 07 May 2019 -- A senior minister of the British government has said that the country has no option but to hold the European Parliament elections as talks with the opposition on reaching a deal to withdraw from the European Union would not reach a conclusion before end of this month.
- UK Royal Navy Reconnaissance Ship Arrives at Port in Black Sea Region Sputnik 07 May 2019 -- The HMS Echo entered the Black Sea last month in order to participate in a freedom of navigation manoeuvre, according to the UK's authorities. In April, NATO conducted training in the region despite Russian warnings that the alliance's activities in the area heighten security risks there.
- Britain, France, Germany Vie for Influence in Africa VOA 03 May 2019 -- Britain's Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt and Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel are conducting separate visits to Africa this week, the latest in a flurry of visits by European leaders and officials as Western states look to expand their engagement on issues like trade, migration and security.
- Defence Secretary praises 50 years of nuclear service as new submarine is named UK MOD 03 May 2019 -- The Defence Secretary has announced the fourth Dreadnought submarine as HMS King George VI ahead of a special service at Westminster Abbey today to recognise the Royal Navy's Continuous at Sea Deterrent (CASD) over the past 50 years.
- UK Warplanes Kick Off Airspace Policing Mission Along Russian Borders in Baltic Sputnik 02 May 2019 -- NATO has beefed up its presence in the Baltic region considerably recently ahead of a series of massive army and naval drills taking place over the next two months.
- Fourth Quick Reaction Alert Squadron for RAF Lossiemouth UK MOD 02 May 2019 -- RAF Lossiemouth welcomed a new, fourth operational Typhoon squadron to augment its mission to protect UK and NATO airspace today, Thursday, 2 May 2019.
- UK Defense Secretary fired over "unauthorized disclosure of information" Global Times 02 May 2019 -- Downing Street said Wednesday in a statement that Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson had been sacked by the Prime Minister for "unauthorized disclosure of information".
- Sacked UK defense secretary denies he leaked Huawei discussions Press TV 02 May 2019 -- Former UK defense minister Gavin Williamson has denied that he was behind a leak of government discussions on involvement of Chinese telecommunication company Huawei in UK's future internet projects, saying his sacking was a politically motivated decision.
- UK defense minister sacked over Huawei leak Press TV 01 May 2019 -- Britain's defense secretary Gavin Williamson has been sacked from the cabinet over a controversial leak of government discussions suggesting that Chinese telecommunication company Huawei will be a partner in UK's future internet projects.
- Theresa May Fires UK Defence Secretary Williamson Over Huawei Leak Sputnik 01 May 2019 -- On Monday, UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt stated that the United Kingdom and its businesses should exercise a certain degree of caution in cooperation with Chinese companies, such as Huawei, as they allegedly could be a threat to national security.
- UK court gives Assange 50-week jail term for breaching bail Press TV 01 May 2019 -- A court in Britain has handed down a 50-week jail sentence to Australian whistleblower and press freedom activist Julian Assange, saying he disrespected the UK judicial system and escaped his bail conditions by taking refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy for almost seven years.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list