Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2018 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK's notorious female terrorist 'plotting new attack in London' Press TV 31 Dec 2018 -- Intelligence sources have revealed that Britain's most wanted female terrorist is plotting a major attack in the capital London.
- Brexit allows UK to expand military presence abroad: Minister Press TV 30 Dec 2018 -- Britain's Secretary of Defense Gavin Williamson has said that leaving the European Union would allow his country to expand its military presence abroad and establish more bases in other countries.
- UK to Establish New Overseas Military Bases After Brexit – Report Sputnik 30 Dec 2018 -- Currently Britain has several overseas military bases, including bases on Cyprus, the Falkland Islands, Gibraltar and the Indian Ocean, but is reportedly planning to expand its global military presence.
- U.K. Says 'No Change' On Position On Russian Diplomats RFE/RL 28 Dec 2018 -- Britain has rejected comments by Russia's ambassador to London claiming the two countries have agreed to gradually reinstate dozens of diplomatic personnel who were expelled by both sides following the Novichok poisoning in the English city of Salisbury, Russia's state-run TASS news agency reports.
- May's Brexit deal can get through parliament: Foreign minister Press TV 28 Dec 2018 -- British Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt has said that the parliament can pass Prime Minister Theresa May's controversial deal on the country's withdrawal from the European Union if the bloc provides clarification that the Northern Irish "backstop" will be not permanent.
- UK reaffirms support for Ukraine in face of Russia 'aggression' Press TV 24 Dec 2018 -- The UK has reaffirmed its support for Ukraine in the face of "Russian aggression," as Moscow and Kiev continue to trade barbs over political and territorial disputes.
- No Deal Will Reduce 40 Security Programmes & UK Soft Power - Defence Minister Sputnik 24 Dec 2018 -- An MP in the UK Ministry of Defence has spoken out against a no-deal Brexit and warned severing ties with the European Union without an agreement in place would have implications for national security.
- UK Minister Warns Al-Qaeda Will Target Planes, Airports as It Gains Power Again Sputnik 23 Dec 2018 -- The notorious terrorist group, responsible for the 9/11 attacks, has been overshadowed by Daesh* in recent years, but a British minister believes that al-Qaeda* was merely restructuring and finding new ways to commit attacks in the modern world.
- Spy Mania: MI5 Reportedly Makes Secret List of MPs With 'Links' to Russia, China Sputnik 23 Dec 2018 -- Russia and China have on multiple occasions faced accusations of interference in domestics affairs from a number of Western countries. Both Moscow and Beijing denied the allegations, citing lack of evidence as well as the West's own attempts to meddle in third countries' affairs around the world.
- Defence Secretary reaffirms support to Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression UK MOD 22 Dec 2018 -- The Defence Secretary visited the crew of HMS Echo docked at the Ukrainian port of Odesa
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 20 Dec 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- UK Foreign Office: Daesh Will Remain a Threat in Syria Sputnik 20 Dec 2018 -- The international coalitions fighting against the Daesh terror group has made huge progress but the terror organization remains a threat and should be defeated, the UK Foreign Office said, commenting on the US announcement of the withdrawal of the forces from Syria.
- Britain, EU Accelerate Planning for 'No-Deal Brexit' VOA 19 Dec 2018 -- The European Commission says it has started to implement plans for a no-deal Brexit – in preparation for Britain crashing out of the European Union without a withdrawal deal – which would dislocate manufacturers' supply chains, disrupt air-travel, and gridlock busy seaports on both sides of the English Channel.
- Russian Businessman Perepilichny Likely Died Of Natural Causes, U.K. Inquest Finds RFE/RL 19 Dec 2018 -- A Russian businessman who was found dead in southern England six years ago likely died of natural causes, a British inquest has found.
- Modernising Defence Programme - Update UK MOD 18 Dec 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has provided a final update on the Modernising Defence Programme to the House of Commons.
- UK PM announces new date for Brexit vote in parliament Press TV 17 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has announced she will return to parliament in mid-January for a vote on her European Union withdrawal agreement, more than a week after she sparked a huge controversy by pulling a planned vote.
- 'Outrageous Behavior': Spain Shadows UK Royal Navy Nuclear Sub Near Gibraltar Sputnik 16 Dec 2018 -- The development follows a Royal Navy vessel firing a warning shot towards a Spanish coast guard vessel last month, after it was deemed to be moving too close to the British submarine. The sub was reportedly departing Gibraltar after having its Tomahawk missile stores replenished.
- UK to establish military base in Kuwait: Report Press TV 15 Dec 2018 -- The UK government has reached an agreement with Kuwait to establish a military base in the tiny Persian Gulf country, local Kuwaiti media reports claim.
- UK to Open Another Military Base in Mideast – Reports Sputnik 15 Dec 2018 -- Slightly over a month ago, British Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson announced that a new training base would open in Oman in order to boost the UK's clout in the region after Brexit is delivered.
- Spurned in Brussels, May Faces Talk of Cabinet Mutiny in London VOA 14 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May was firmly rebuffed Friday by European leaders, who rejected her bid to reopen negotiations on Britain's deal to leave the European Union. They held out little hope of offering any legal assurances that would help her sell a contentious withdrawal agreement to an unenthusiastic House of Commons.
- Weakened UK PM in Brussels to seek EU help on Brexit deal Press TV 13 Dec 2018 -- Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May has traveled to Brussels to attend a European Union summit as she desperately seeks privileges from the bloc that could enhance her chances of going through the British parliament with a controversial EU withdrawal agreement.
- Back to Brussels: Britain's May Again Seeks EU Help on Brexit VOA 13 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May goes back to Brussels on Thursday, seeking concessions in the unpopular agreement to withdraw Britain from the European Union after she survived a no-confidence vote.
- Britain's May Will Step Down Before Next Election VOA 13 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has confirmed she will step down before the next election, scheduled for 2022.
- UK premier survives leadership challenge amid Brexit chaos Press TV 12 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has managed to survive a leadership challenge by gaining a confidence vote from her party.
- Britain's May Survives No-Confidence Vote VOA 12 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May survived a no-confidence vote to retain her job and prevent another leadership challenge for a year.
- UK Prime Minister Survives No Confidence Vote Sputnik 13 Dec 2018 -- On Wednesday, 48 Conservative members of Parliament sent letters to the 1922 Committee, a group of rank-and-file MPs from the party who hold no government office, triggering a vote of no confidence in Prime Minister Theresa May.
- Brexit Sparks Exasperation in Brussels, Despair in London VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- Britain has long prided itself on having strong and stable governments. But Brexit has fractured political parties, making it harder for embattled Prime Minister Theresa May to plot a course out of the Brexit maze or for European Union leaders to calculate what might happen.
- Theresa May Delays Critical Brexit Vote, Scrambles to Save Deal Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May called off Tuesday's parliamentary vote on her Brexit deal after a conference call with cabinet ministers, an indication that she believes she would have faced a crushing defeat.
- Three shipbuilding teams shortlisted to build new warships in UK UK MOD 10 Dec 2018 -- Teams will receive contracts worth up to £5 million to push ahead with plans to build five new Type 31e warships.
- May defers Brexit vote in parliament amid rows over 'backstop' Press TV 10 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has finally decided to postpone a crunch parliamentary vote on her European Union withdrawal agreement, saying she would seek further assurances from the EU over a controversial clause in the agreement which outlines contingencies for the future situation of border on the island of Ireland.
- EU court rules Britain can unilaterally cancel Brexit Press TV 10 Dec 2018 -- The European Court of Justice (ECJ) has finally ruled that the United Kingdom can cancel a 2016 decision to leave the European Union without gaining the approval of other bloc members.
- Typhoons launch with new missile UK MOD 10 Dec 2018 -- RAF Typhoons launch for the first time with the Meteor Air-to-Air missile.
- Britain's May Postpones Crucial Brexit Vote VOA 10 Dec 2018 -- Britain's already disorderly departure from the European Union turned even more chaotic Monday when Prime Minister Theresa May postponed a House of Commons vote on her Brexit withdrawal deal, an agreement that took months of tortuous negotiations with Brussels to conclude.
- No-deal Brexit would force Scots to vote for independence from UK: Poll Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- A new poll conducted in Scotland shows that a significant majority of people in the British province would prefer to leave the United Kingdom if the country leaves the European Union without a deal.
- British Nuclear Sub Arrives in Gibraltar After Row With Spanish Ship in the Area Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- The arrival comes a month after a Royal Navy vessel fired a warning flare in response to a Spanish coast guard boat approaching too close to the UK nuclear submarine Talent as it was departing Gibraltar.
- UK announces major investment in nuclear submarines Press TV 08 Dec 2018 -- The UK has invested £400 million (US$509 million) in its Dreadnought nuclear submarine program, the Royal Navy's controversial project to replace the current crop subs operating under the Trident nuclear deterrence program.
- British Intel to Ratchet Up Pressure on Russian Businessmen - Reports Sputnik 08 Dec 2018 -- Britain-Russia relations have been in a downward spiral ever since early March, when former Russian intelligence officer Sergei Skripal survived a purported nerve agent attack, which the UK blamed on Moscow. The accusations were followed by an announced crackdown on Russian money in Britain, which is apparently gaining momentum.
- USAFE-UK Host RAF Leaders sign Interoperability Charter AFNS 07 Dec 2018 -- U.S. Air Force and Royal Air Force leaders met to discuss bilateral relations and sign the Combat Air Interoperability Working Group Charter at RAF Lakenheath, U.K., Nov. 27.
- It's my deal, no deal or no Brexit, UK PM warns MPs Press TV 06 Dec 2018 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has warned British lawmakers that they should make a choice between her Brexit deal, a "no deal" exit from the European Union (EU) or no exit from the bloc at all.
- UK Defense Ministry to Allocate Extra $511Mln for Nuclear Subs Modernization Sputnik 06 Dec 2018 -- UK Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson on Thursday announced extra 400 million pounds ($511 million) funding for its Dreadnought program that will build four nuclear-powered submarines.
- Defence Secretary announces £400m investment for nuclear-armed submarines UK MOD 06 Dec 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has today announced a £400 million funding boost for the Dreadnought programme, as he opened a new training academy and revealed the name of the second Dreadnought submarine.
- Defence Minister reaffirms ties with Mexico UK MOD 06 Dec 2018 -- The UK's future relationship with Mexico looks bright under the country's new administration, a Defence Minister has declared.
- UK being trapped by Irish backstop, Brexit legal advice warns Press TV 05 Dec 2018 -- A UK government document on legal aspects of a European Union withdrawal agreement shows the so-called backstop clause of the Brexit deal could trap Britain in years of negotiations with the EU after Brexit.
- Brexit can be stopped: EU law chief Press TV 04 Dec 2018 -- An adviser to the European Union's top court has said that the United Kingdom can unilaterally stop Brexit by revoking its decision to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty.
- 1st Time in Modern History: UK Gov't Ministers Found in Contempt of Parliament Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- The House of Commons lawmakers voted 311 to 293, backing the ruling that the government was in contempt of the Parliamentary procedure.
- UK says military ties with US to reach 'new heights' after Brexit Press TV 04 Dec 2018 -- British Defense Minister Gavin Williamson says military cooperation with the US is set to reach "new heights" after leaving the European Union (EU).
- UK changes military leadership amid row over US jet import Press TV 03 Dec 2018 -- The British military has changed its top commanders amid a widening row over the import of F-35 fighter jets from the United States.
- UK-US defence partnership to reach new heights in years ahead UK MOD 03 Dec 2018 -- The UK and USA will work closer together than ever before to tackle shared threats as Britain expands its horizons across the globe, the Defence Secretary has affirmed.
- May's Brexit Deal Appears Doomed in House of Commons VOA 03 Dec 2018 -- Embattled British Prime Minister Theresa May has just eight days before the House of Commons votes on a contentious deal that would have Britain locked in a customs union with the European Union for several years while it negotiates a more permanent, but vaguely defined, free-trade settlement with its largest trading partner.
- British Spy Chief Warns Russia Against Covert Activity After Nerve-Agent Attack RFE/RL 03 Dec 2018 -- The head of Britain's foreign intelligence service has warned the Kremlin "not to underestimate" the West following a nerve-agent attack on a retired double agent in England that he attributed to covert Russian activity.
- Britain warns Russia not to underestimate its intelligence capability Press TV 03 Dec 2018 -- The head of Britain's MI6 intelligence service, which is focused on foreign security threats, has warned Russia that it should not underestimate London's ability to deal with complicated sabotage cases, saying that the country is launching a new generation of espionage activities that could take the adversaries by surprise.
- Russian TV Crew's 'Suspicious Behavior' Triggers Military Alert, Public Warning In Britain RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- British Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson has called on the public to report suspicious activity near army sites after a Russian TV crew prompted an alert at a highly sensitive military facility, the Daily Mail newspaper reports.
- Venezuelan Opposition Urges Bank of England not to Return Gold to Maduro Sputnik 01 Dec 2018 -- The call comes after reports emerged that the Venezuelan government is looking to repatriate gold bars worth about $550 million from the Bank of England out of fear that the holdings may be affected by US sanctions announced by President Trump early last month.
- 'Sharpening Teeth': UK Warships Hold Anti-Sub Drills Amid 'Russian Threat' Fears Sputnik 01 Dec 2018 -- Last month, the UK's Royal Navy reported that its high-readiness frigate, the HMS St Albans, shadowed and monitored a Russian warship travelling through the English Channel, in an attempt to protect British waters.
- British Navy and Air Force Face Off in Dispute Over New F-35 Jets – Reports Sputnik 01 Dec 2018 -- After several years without a functional aircraft carrier, Britain introduced the HMS Queen Elizabeth to the Royal Navy in December 2017 and the HMS Prince of Wales is expected in 2020; the UK is in the process of acquiring 48 US F-35B naval jets for their flight decks. However, the Royal Air Force is interested in growing its own fleet.
- UK Will Build Its Own Satellite-Navigation System After Brexit Sputnik 01 Dec 2018 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May announced that Britain would explore the possibility of building its own satellite navigation system instead of relying on the EU's Galileo, compelling another minister in her Cabinet to resign.
- UK Intel Alleges Putin Personally Behind Skripal Poisoning Order - Reports Sputnik 01 Dec 2018 -- Russian authorities have repeatedly refuted London's accusations of Moscow being behind the alleged March 4 chemical attack on the former Russian intelligence officer and his daughter as groundless. Moscow says that London has failed to present any proof confirming Russia's involvement in the case.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list