Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2018 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- British-armed F-35B Lightning jet takes to the skies UK MOD 30 Aug 2018 -- Britain's new stealth fighter jet, the F-35B Lightning, has carried out its first trials armed with UK-built weapons, showcasing the major role that the UK plays in the supersonic aircraft and bringing it a step closer to operations on the frontline.
- UK Military Train 500 Somalis UK MOD 29 Aug 2018 -- The British-led Baidoa Security Training Centre in Somalia has marked its 500th graduate, as part of the UK's ongoing commitment to bring peace and security to the region.
- UK Vows to Develop its Own Satellite Navigation if Pushed out of Galileo Sputnik 29 Aug 2018 -- Theresa May adopted an "everything or nothing" stance on the EU's joint global navigation project.
- Unhappy with Iran bans, UK trying to maintain trade Press TV 29 Aug 2018 -- Britain is reportedly trying to maintain trade with Iran in face of returning US sanctions and is even seeking tips from Japan on how to dodge US bans without being implicated.
- Britain Seeks Ways to Continue Trading with Iran VOA 29 Aug 2018 -- British officials have been turning to Japan for tips on how to dodge American sanctions on Iran, according to local media.
- British Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier Sets Sail for US to Train With F-35Bs Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- The British Royal Navy's newest aircraft carrier, the HMS Queen Elizabeth, set sail for the United States earlier this month to train with US F-35B Joint Strike Fighters.
- UK to start work on post-Brexit satellite system to rival EU's Galileo: Report Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has ordered officials to start work on a British satellite navigation system to rival the European Union's Galileo because the UK's access to sensitive security information could be restricted after Brexit, according to British media.
- Moscow says UK's interception of Russian aircraft over Black Sea 'dangerous' Press TV 26 Aug 2018 -- Moscow has lashed out at the UK's Royal Air Force (RAF) for intercepting Russian patrol aircraft near Russia's own shores over the Black Sea, warning that such provocative actions are 'simply dangerous'.
- Russia Mocks British Military After Jets Scramble From Romania RFE/RL 26 Aug 2018 -- The Russian Embassy in London mocked the British military and says its armed forces "pose no threat to Britain" two days after U.K. Typhoon jets based in Romania scrambled to investigate Russian aircraft heading toward NATO airspace.
- British Jets Again Scramble From Romania To Investigate Russian Aircraft RFE/RL 24 Aug 2018 -- British Typhoon jets based in Romania have scrambled for the second time in three days to investigate "provocative" Russian aircraft flying on a path toward NATO airspace, the British Defense Ministry says.
- RAF typhoons investigate Russians over Black Sea UK MOD 24 Aug 2018 -- Royal Air Force Typhoon fighter jets have interrupted a Russian maritime patrol aircraft's path towards NATO airspace.
- 'All options on table,' UK Labour Party now open to second Brexit vote Press TV 23 Aug 2018 -- In a surprising U-turn, the UK Labour Party has announced that it is open to the idea of holding a second Brexit referendum if the parliament sees it necessary.
- British Jets Scramble From Romania To Investigate Russian Fighter Jets RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- Two British Typhoon jets based in Romania have scrambled to investigate suspected Russian fighter aircraft operating near NATO airspace over the Black Sea.
- UK jets scrambled to investigate Russia planes flying over Black Sea Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Britain's Royal Air Force (RAF) scrambled two Typhoon jets from a base in Romania to shadow Russian fighter jets allegedly flying near NATO air space in the skies over the Black Sea.
- British Royal Navy vessel monitors Russian warship in English Channel Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- A British Royal Navy vessel, HMS Hurworth, is monitoring a Russian warship as it is passing through the English Channel in an exercise that usually lasts about 48 hours, the Navy says.
- UK will press US for tougher sanctions against Russia Press TV 21 Aug 2018 -- Britain's new foreign secretary, Jeremy Hunt, is set to push the United States into slapping tougher sanctions on Russia, in response to Moscow's "malign" behavior around the world.
- Britain Calls For More EU Sanctions On Russia RFE/RL 21 Aug 2018 -- Britain's new foreign minister in his first major address has urged the European Union to increase sanctions against Russia, saying the bloc should stand "shoulder to shoulder" with the United States, which hit Moscow with new economic sanctions this month.
- Britain Confident Trump Will Stand Up to Putin VOA 21 Aug 2018 -- Britain's foreign secretary is calling for traditional Western allies to join in a united front against Russia's "aggressive and malign behavior," expressing confidence that the United States under President Donald Trump will lead the way.
- 'French Can't Fight Own Wars': Paris Reportedly Makes UK Defense Chief 'Livid' Sputnik 19 Aug 2018 -- Last month, the UK sent three Royal Air Force helicopters and about 100 troops to Mali to help French forces combat jihadists still active in the region.
- UK Navy Vows to Protect New Aircraft Carrier From "Frightening" Russians Sputnik 18 Aug 2018 -- The 71,650-ton Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier is the biggest warship ever to be built in Britain, and has been undergoing sea trials since setting sail from Scotland's Rosyth dockyard in June 2017.
- HMS Queen Elizabeth sets off for F-35B fighter jet trials UK MOD 18 Aug 2018 -- Royal Navy aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, departs her home port of Portsmouth today, bound for the USA to land fast jets on deck for the very first time.
- Defence Ministers re-affirm Scotland's central role in UK defence UK MOD 17 Aug 2018 -- Tobias Ellwood and Stuart Andrew toured Scotland this week.
- Britain's RAF scrambles jets intercept Russian bombers over Black Sea Press TV 15 Aug 2018 -- British air force fighter jets stationed as part of a NATO mission in Romania have been scrambled to intercept Russian bombers flying over the Black Sea in Eastern Europe.
- RFA Tideforce docks in Falmouth ahead of entering service UK MOD 15 Aug 2018 -- The fourth and final Tide class tanker, RFA Tideforce, has arrived in Cornwall for customisation.
- Brexit uncertainty is depressing UK growth: Finance minister Press TV 10 Aug 2018 -- Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond has said that uncertainty over Brexit is depressing economic growth in the United Kingdom.
- New US sanctions not based on evidence Press TV 09 Aug 2018 -- Russia says a round of new sanctions imposed on Moscow by the United States over the alleged poisoning of a former Russian spy in the UK are not based on evidence and are "draconian."
- Kremlin Rejects US Claims of Skripal Case Links, Calls Sanctions 'Unacceptable' Sputnik 09 Aug 2018 -- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has addressed the most recent round of sanctions introduced by the US against Moscow.
- Russia Denounces US 'Novichok' Sanctions VOA 09 Aug 2018 -- Faced with a new round of U.S.-sanctions over alleged chemical weapons use, Russia denounced the move as an "illegal" gesture that defied attempts by President Donald Trump and Russian leader Vladimir Putin aimed at improving relations during a recent summit.
- U.S. To Impose New Sanctions On Russia Over Skripal Attack RFE/RL 09 Aug 2018 -- The United States has said it will hit Russia with new sanctions aimed at punishing Moscow for the March nerve-agent poisoning in Britain of a former Russian spy and his daughter.
- Royal Navy Monitoring Russian Warships' Passage Through UK Waters Sputnik 08 Aug 2018 -- The UK Royal Navy said in a statement on Wednesday that its destroyer HMS Diamond was monitoring the overnight passage of Russian destroyer Severomorsk and cruiser Marshal Ustinov through the English Channel.
- UK's Next-Gen Nuclear Deterrent Risks Delays Over Faulty Welding in US - Reports Sputnik 08 Aug 2018 -- The United Kingdom's next-generation nuclear submarines may be delayed due to a welding defect in ballistic missile tubes designed and manufactured in the United States, The Times newspaper reported on Wednesday.
- Defence Secretary confirms UK-US relationship remains unparalleled UK MOD 08 Aug 2018 -- The USA has no greater friend on the global stage than the UK, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has reaffirmed during a visit to Washington, DC.
- UK, Norway join forces to stop 'growing Russian threat' using US sub-hunter aircraft Press TV 07 Aug 2018 -- The UK Royal Navy and its Norwegian counterpart have purchased a large fleet of US-made P-8 Poseidon surveillance aircraft to stop what they call Russia's growing submarine activity near their territorial waters.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with U.K. Secretary of State for Defence Gavin Williamson DoD 07 Aug 2018
- Press Topper at the Pentagon Enhanced Honor Cordon by Secretary Mattis with United Kingdom Secretary of State for Defence Gavin Williamson DoD 07 Aug 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- UK Defense Chief: Post-Brexit Britain to Remain Strong VOA 07 Aug 2018 -- Britain will always be a "tier one" military power, British Defense Minister Gavin Williamson told the Atlantic Council think tank Tuesday in Washington, contradicting recent comments by British Prime Minister Theresa May.
- Previewing the Imposition of Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Sanctions on Russia US Dept. of State 08 Aug 2018 -- Special Briefing by Senior State Department Officials
- Imposition of Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act Sanctions on Russia US Dept. of State 08 Aug 2018
- US imposes sanctions on Russia over nerve agent attack in UK Press TV 08 Aug 2018 -- The United States has imposed new sanctions on Russia over Moscow's alleged role in poisoning of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal.
- U.S. To Impose New Sanctions On Russia Over Skripal Attack RFE/RL 08 Aug 2018 -- The United States has said it will hit Russia with new sanctions aimed at punishing Moscow for the March nerve-agent poisoning in Britain of a former Russian spy and his daughter.
- US Imposing Sanctions on Russia Over Skripal Poisoning - State Department Sputnik 08 Aug 2018 -- The US State Department announced Wednesday that it would be imposing sanctions against Russia regarding the poisoning of Yulia and Sergei Skripal in the UK earlier this year.
- UK Def Sec Accuses Russia of 'Malign Behavior,' Hints at Skripal Poisoning Link Sputnik 08 Aug 2018 -- Gavin Williamson has been accusing Russian of many things, including the poisoning incidents in Salisbury and Amesbury despite any tangible proof of Moscow involvement in either one.
- US Slaps New Sanctions on Russia Over Ex-Russian Spy Poisoning in Britain VOA 08 Aug 2018 -- The United States is imposing tough new sanctions on Russia after determining Moscow was responsible for poisoning a former Russian spy and his daughter in Britain in March.
- Britain 'Ready To Ask' Russia To Extradite Suspects In Skripal Poisonings RFE/RL 07 Aug 2018 -- Britain is preparing to ask Russia to extradite two men it suspects carried out a nerve-agent attack on a former Russian spy in the city of Salisbury, The Guardian newspaper has reported.
- OPCW Accepts UK Request to Confirm Identity of Nerve Agent in Amesbury Incident Sputnik 07 Aug 2018 -- UK authorities on Tuesday invited Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) experts to come back to the country in order to independently confirm the identity of the nerve agent used in the Amesbury poisoning. The OPCW later accepted the request.
- Hackers use UK airwoman's dating profile to steal F-35 secrets Press TV 06 Aug 2018 -- The UK Royal Air Force (RAF) says hackers have been able to steal sensitive information about its fleet of stealthy F-35 fighter jets after successfully infiltrating an airwoman's dating account.
- Honey Pot: RAF Staffer Leaks F-35 Secrets on Tinder - Report Sputnik 05 Aug 2018 -- A perpetrator hacked a female RAF staffer's dating app profile, using her online presence to sweet-talk a male Royal Air Force employee and stealing secret information about the US fifth-generation F-35 Lightning II fighter just weeks after the first four jets entered service, according to a report by Mail Online.
- British trade minister says EU is pushing UK to no-deal Brexit Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- British trade minister Liam Fox says the UK is likely to leave the European Union without a trade deal.
- Brexit supporters criticise Bank of England chief over "no deal" fears People's Daily 04 Aug 2018 -- The governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, was described Friday as the "high priest of project fear" after he warned the prospect of a future trading deal between Britain and the European Union was uncomfortably high.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 03 Aug 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list