Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2018 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK Police Believe 2 Groups From Russia Organized Poisoning of Skripals - Reports Sputnik 29 Jul 2018 -- UK police believe that two groups from Russia were hired to organize and carry out the poisoning of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in March, the Mirror reported Sunday.
- Theresa May says Brits should rest assured of a smooth Brexit deal Press TV 26 Jul 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has told the UK public not to worry about Britain's exit from the European Union because she can get a "good deal" with the EU, despite government plans to urgently prepare for a no-deal Brexit, and stockpile food, medicine and blood.
- Britain sends jets to intercept Russian plane over Black Sea Press TV 26 Jul 2018 -- Britain's Royal Air Force has scrambled jets from a base in Romania to intercept a Russia plane flying near NATO airspace in Eastern Europe.
- Royal Navy Copter Reportedly Escorts Two Russian Ships in English Channel Sputnik 26 Jul 2018 -- The past seven months have seen a number of encounters between the naval ships of Russia and Britain, as Russian warships conduct missions and pass by the UK on their way from the Russian Northern fleet's bases to the Mediterranean.
- UK Launches Romanian-Based Jets In Response to Russian Aircraft Over Black Sea Sputnik 26 Jul 2018 -- The UK Royal Air Force (RAF) said Thursday that its Typhoon fighters based in Romania have been launched in response to the Russian aircraft closing the NATO airspace.
- British Man Says Novichok Was In Perfume Bottle He Gave Partner RFE/RL 25 Jul 2018 -- A British man poisoned with Novichok has said in interviews that he found a perfume bottle that contained the deadly nerve agent and unknowingly gave it to his girlfriend, who sprayed the liquid on her wrists and later died.
- Joint UK-Qatari Typhoon squadron stands up as defence relationship deepens UK MOD 24 Jul 2018 -- Defence Secretary and Amir of Qatar meet at Horse Guards
- UK Ministry of Defense Spends $148Mln to Scrap Planned 'Smart' Missile System Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- The ministry says it constantly reviews its investments, reacting to how a "situation changes." A ministry spokesperson also noted that the development of "cutting-edge military equipment" generates "billions" for the UK economy.
- Defence Minister outlines progress on building a Better Defence Estate UK MOD 24 Jul 2018 -- Good progress is being made on the MOD's plans for more modern and efficient military bases, Defence Minister Tobias Ellwood has told Parliament.
- Russian Spies Hide in Plain Sight VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- In the pre-Internet era, spies faced more challenges than now when trying to infiltrate Western political circles in order to gather information, identify potential recruits, enlist the assistance of sympathizers and mount active operations, like meddling in a foreign country's election.
- Russian Scientist Jailed as Moscow Probes Hypersonic Missile Secrets Leak Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- A scientist at Russia's space organization Roscosmos, 74-year-old Viktor Kudryavtsev, has been imprisoned in a Moscow jail run by the Federal Security Service (FSB), which has been been investigating a "treasonous" leak of hypersonic missile secrets to Western intelligence agencies.
- Amesbury Man Confesses He Gave 'Perfume Bottle' With 'Nerve Agent' to Girlfriend Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- The couple from Amesbury – Charlie Rowley and the now-deceased Dawn Sturgess – was said to have picked up a perfume bottle allegedly containing a nerve agent, with Sturgess ostensibly spraying the substance on her wrists.
- UK and Ecuador deal to evict Assange from embassy "imminent" amid US pressure Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Ecuador is planning to withdraw asylum protection for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and evict him from its UK embassy in London amid "significant pressure" from the United States, according to reports.
- UK Threatens Not to Pay EU Divorce Bill if Trade Deal Not Agreed Upon Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- The customs agreement and the payment of a vast divorce bill remain the main sticking points in London's stuttering Brexit talks with the EU.
- UK to send biggest warship to Pacific in 'show of force' Press TV 21 Jul 2018 -- The United Kingdom and Australia are discussing plans for Britain's biggest ever warship to be deployed to the Pacific alongside Australians navy.
- UK to Deploy Supercarrier to Pacific to Counter Beijing's Clout in S China Sea Sputnik 21 Jul 2018 -- The UK and Australia are ramping up their defense cooperation in the Pacific and the South China Sea.
- UK using child spies in police and intelligence operations: Report Press TV 20 Jul 2018 -- British police and intelligence agencies are using children as spies in covert operations against terrorists, gangs and drug dealers, a new UK parliamentary report has revealed.
- British Man Exposed To Novichok Released From Hospital RFE/RL 20 Jul 2018 -- A British man who was poisoned with the nerve agent Novichok has recovered sufficiently to be released from the hospital, authorities say.
- EU warns over consequences of a 'no-deal' Brexit Press TV 19 Jul 2018 -- The European Union has warned member states over the consequences of a "no-deal" Brexit if Britain fails to secure a deal to exit the bloc by March 2019.
- 'UK identifies Russian suspects in Skripals poisoning case' Press TV 19 Jul 2018 -- British police have reportedly identified several Russian nationals suspected of having been behind an alleged nerve agent poisoning incident in which former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter were injured more than four months ago.
- Guns, Sex, And A 'Flight Risk': Behind The Charges Against Maria Butina RFE/RL 19 Jul 2018 -- WASHINGTON -- The protest, held in September 2016 across the street from the Russian Embassy in the U.S. capital, featured a handful of activists intending to show their opposition to Russian leader Vladimir Putin and upcoming parliamentary elections.
- Investigative Report: On The Trail Of The 12 Indicted Russian Intelligence Officers RFE/RL 19 Jul 2018 -- A U.S. grand jury charged 12 Russian citizens on July 13 with interfering in the 2016 U.S. presidential election by organizing cyberattacks on the computers of Democratic Party figures during the campaign.
- Report: British Police Identify Russian Suspects In Novichok Attack RFE/RL 19 Jul 2018 -- British investigators believe they have identified the suspects responsible for the Novichok attack on former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter, the Press Association (PA) reported on July 19.
- FBI Says China, Not Russia, 'Most Significant' Intelligence Threat to US Sputnik 19 Jul 2018 -- The Federal Bureau of Investigation said that it has ongoing economic espionage investigations in all 50 states tracing back to China, ranging from agriculture to high-tech.
- Trump Says Russia No Longer Targeting U.S. Elections, Contradicting His Intelligence Chief RFE/RL 18 Jul 2018 -- WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said that Russia is no longer interfering in U.S. elections, contradicting remarks by his chief of national intelligence who has warned that Russia is continuing to try to influence the 2018 U.S. congressional elections.
- Butina Pleads Not Guilty To Violating U.S. Foreign-Agent Law, Held Without Bail RFE/RL 18 Jul 2018 -- WASHINGTON -- A Russian woman has pleaded not guilty in a U.S. federal court to charges that she violated the U.S. foreign-agent law as part of a Russian effort to infiltrate the U.S. political system.
- UK boosts Africa ties after ministerial visit UK MOD 16 Jul 2018 -- The UK remains determined to bring prosperity and stability to East Africa, defence minister Mark Lancaster has reaffirmed after visiting Uganda.
- Britain to take leading role in next-generation air power, as Defence Secretary launches Combat Air Strategy UK MOD 16 Jul 2018 -- Setting out Britain's determination to remain a world-leader in the combat air sector, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has today unveiled a concept model of a brand-new, next-generation fighter jet as he launched a comprehensive strategy with a bold statement of intent for future British air power.
- Defence Minister announces new prosperity framework between UK and Lockheed Martin UK MOD 16 Jul 2018 -- Defence Minister Guto Bebb announced the start of a new relationship between the UK government and Lockheed Martin at Farnborough International Air Show today.
- British Police Find Bottle Containing Novichok In Amesbury Victim's Home RFE/RL 14 Jul 2018 -- British counterterrorism police say they believe they have found the source of the Novichok nerve agent that killed a woman in southwest England and made her partner critically ill.
- Trump, May Discuss Russia, Iran, 'Very Strong' U.S.-U.K. Relationship RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he has urged Britain to maintain pressure on Iran and agreed with Prime Minister Theresa May that Tehran must never possess nuclear weapons.
- Waddington to operate Protector, with best of British air power on show at Air Tattoo UK MOD 13 Jul 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson marked a momentous centenary year for the RAF at the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) today, as it was announced that Waddington will operate the air force's new Protector aircraft.
- RAF recieves 20th Atlas transport aircraft UK MOD 13 Jul 2018 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) has taken delivery of the 20th next-generation Atlas transport aircraft as the programme continues to meet key development milestones.
- May increases troops in Afghanistan to meet Trump's demands Press TV 12 Jul 2018 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has decided to increase the number of British troops in Afghanistan to over 1,000, as the NATO military alliance tries to meet the demands of US President Donald Trump.
- UK Nearly Doubles Forces in Afghanistan at US Behest Amid NATO Summit Sputnik 11 Jul 2018 -- The British government has revealed that it is planning to reinforce the country's troops in the war-torn Middle East country, whose army is still struggling to counter Daesh* and Taliban* terrorists, who have claimed hundreds of victims.
- British Man Exposed To Nerve Agent No Longer In Critical Condition RFE/RL 11 Jul 2018 -- A British man poisoned with the Novichok nerve agent is no longer in a critical condition, the hospital treating him said.
- United Kingdom - AIM-120D Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM) DSCA 10 Jul 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the United Kingdom of up to two hundred (200) AIM-120D Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAMs) for an estimated cost of $650 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Defence Secretary meets Australian defence minister following £20bn British warship deal UK MOD 10 Jul 2018 -- Talks deepen UK-Australian defence relationship
- British PM May appoints Jeremy Hunt new foreign minister Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has appointed Jeremy Hunt as foreign minister after Boris Johnson resigned in protest at the government's plans for a close trading relationship with the European Union after Brexit next year.
- Johnson warns Britain will end up like colony to the EU after Brexit Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Boris Johnson has warned that the United Kingdom will end up like a colony to the European Union following Brexit next year, shortly after resigning as Britain's foreign minister.
- Boris Johnson resigns in protest to May's Brexit plan Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Boris Johnson has resigned as British foreign secretary, becoming the third minister in 24 hours to quit the government rather than back Prime Minister Theresa May's strategy for Brexit.
- UK military to counter 'Russia threat' in North Atlantic Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- The UK military is planning to expand its presence in the North Atlantic in an attempt to curb what the Royal Navy's commander says is a growing threat from Russia.
- U.K. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Resigns, In Latest Turmoil For May Government RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has resigned, amid deepening turmoil in Prime Minister Theresa May's government.
- UK Forbids Chinese Firm From Purchasing British Arms Manufacturer Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- The ruling was made amid growing concerns of sensitive information and trade secrets falling into the hands of the Chinese government.
- UK Navy Unveils Plan to Beef Up Presence in N Atlantic Ahead of NATO Summit Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- The Royal Navy is following the example of Washington, which reactivated its Second Feet two months ago in a bid to counter what they consider to be Russia's resurgence.
- British prosperity relies on defence according to independent review UK MOD 09 Jul 2018 -- Former Defence Minister Philip Dunne has today released a wide-ranging report which highlights the integral role of defence to British prosperity.
- May Names New Foreign Secretary Amid Brexit Disagreements VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May appointed longtime supporter Jeremy Hunt as foreign minister after Boris Johnson resigned from the post Monday amid disagreement in the Cabinet over the nation's pending exit from the European Union.
- Claim of Russia's involvement in second case of poisoning in UK is 'absurd': Moscow Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Russia has strongly rejected the idea that Moscow could have been behind a poisoning incident in which, according to the UK authorities, a woman has so far lost her life after coming into contact with a highly lethal nerve agent in southern England that is reportedly the same chemical substance that put a former Russian double spy and her daughter in the hospital in the same region some four months ago.
- British Defense Chief Says Russian 'Attack' Led To Woman's Death RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- Britain's defense chief has said that a Russian "attack" led to the death of a mother of three who was exposed to the same nerve agent that put former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in the hospital, while the Kremlin said it would be "absurd" to blame Moscow.
- UK Defense Secretary Blames Russia for Death of Woman in Amesbury Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- Though earlier in the day UK counter-terrorism officer Neil Basu was unable to confirm that a toxic substance allegedly used for the poisoning of Dawn Sturgess was similar to those claimed to be used for the attack on Skripals, the UK Defense Secretary blamed the incident on Russia.
- British Woman Exposed To Novichok Nerve Agent Dies RFE/RL 08 Jul 2018 -- British police say a woman who fell critically ill after being exposed to the same nerve agent used in the poisoning of Russian ex-spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter has died.
- British Woman Poisoned by Nerve Agent Dies VOA 08 Jul 2018 -- British police have opened a murder investigation after a woman poisoned by the same nerve agent that sickened an ex-Russian spy in March died.
- May wins support from UK government on Brexit plan Press TV 06 Jul 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has managed to secure a cabinet agreement for her Brexit plans aimed at pressing for "a free trade area for goods" with the European Union.
- British Police Hunt Object That May Have Poisoned Couple With Novichok RFE/RL 06 Jul 2018 -- British police are scouring sections of Salisbury and Amesbury in southwest England, searching for a container feared to be contaminated with traces of the deadly nerve agent Novichok.
- Russia Denies Role in Latest Britain Poisoning VOA 06 Jul 2018 -- Russia is denying any role in the poisoning of a British couple who British authorities insist are the latest victims of Novichok – allegedly a Russian-made military-grade nerve agent first implicated in an assassination attempt on a former Russian spy and his daughter on British soil last March.
- Russia says UK shows no interest in joint probe into nerve agent use Press TV 05 Jul 2018 -- Russia says the United Kingdom shows no interest in conducting a joint investigation into an alleged nerve agent attack on a former Russian double spy in southern England some four months ago, as an almost similar incident occurred in the same region in Britain over the weekend.
- UK police investigating new Novichok nerve agent attack Press TV 05 Jul 2018 -- The UK counter-terrorism police have launched an investigation into what they say is another attack on British citizens with the Russian nerve agent Novichok, the same poison that was used in March against Russian double-agent Sergei Skripal.
- UK Police: Poisoned Couple Handled 'Contaminated Item' VOA 05 Jul 2018 -- British police said Thursday that a couple left critically ill in the same area where a former Russian spy was poisoned earlier this year "handled a contaminated item."
- Britain Says Two People Found Unconscious Poisoned With Novichok RFE/RL 04 Jul 2018 -- Britain's counterterrorism chief has said that two people who are critically ill in a hospital in Wiltshire, southwestern England, were exposed to the Novichok nerve agent, the same toxin that was used in an attack on Russian ex-spy Sergei Skripal.
- UK Counter-Terrorism Chief: 2 People in Amesbury Exposed to Novichok Sputnik 04 Jul 2018 -- According to the statement of UK counter-terrorism chief Neil Basu, two people found unwell at a house in Amesbury on Saturday were contaminated by the Novichok nerve agent, the same toxin that was allegedly used against ex-Russian Intelligence officer Sergei Skripal and his daughter.
- Victims of UK's Wiltshire Alleged Poisoning Incident Remain Critical - Police Sputnik 04 Jul 2018 -- Two victims of an alleged poisoning incident in the Wiltshire area near the UK city of Salisbury remain in critical condition after suspected exposure to an unknown substance, Deputy Chief Constable Paul Mills of Wiltshire police said on Wednesday.
- Spend more on military or France takes your place: US warns UK Press TV 03 Jul 2018 -- The US has stepped up pressure on British Prime Minister Theresa May's government to increase military spending, after the US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis warned that France could become America's "partner of choice" on the international scene.
- US Threatens to Ditch UK for France if Britain Doesn't Increase Defense Spending Sputnik 02 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has repeatedly pressed NATO members to increase defense spending, a topic that is expected to be hotly discussed at the alliance's summit in Brussels later this month.
- Defence Secretary cuts ribbon on Bolton-based missile factory UK MOD 02 Jul 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has today officially opened a Bolton-based factory where almost 700 staff are making multi-million-pound missiles for British soldiers, warships and fighter jets.
- UK Warplanes Bomb Pro-Gov't Forces in Syria After Attack by 'Unidentified Force' Sputnik 01 Jul 2018 -- The Royal Air Force strike on Syrian troops is the first of its kind since April, when the US, UK and France launched missile strikes against multiple targets in the Arab republic after an alleged chemical attack in Douma.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list