Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2018 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- US/UK Navy Chiefs Strengthen Partnership NNS 29 Jun 2018 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson visited London to highlight the importance of the U.S. and Royal Navy partnership June 27-28.
- Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministers of the Depositary Governments for the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons US Dept. of State 28 Jun 2018 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of The United States of America, The United Kingdom, and the Russian Federation.
- Over 10,000 troops from nine nations ready to meet global challenges UK MOD 28 Jun 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson today signed the Joint Expeditionary Force (JEF) Comprehensive Memorandum of Understanding alongside counterparts from the eight partner nations.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 26 Jun 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- UK military needs more money to work with US, NATO: MPs Press TV 26 Jun 2018 -- British lawmakers have warned the Prime Minister Theresa May the country's armed forces need more money to maintain "interoperability" with the US and other members of the NATO military alliance.
- Airbus threatens to leave UK if Brexit happens without deal Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- Aviation giant Airbus has threatened that it could leave the United Kingdom if the country exits the European Union (EU) without a transition agreement.
- NATO Secretary General: UK is vital to keeping the transatlantic bond strong NATO 21 Jun 2018 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg praised the United Kingdom's important contributions to NATO in a visit to London on Thursday (21 June 2018).
- New UK Army Chief Lists Russia Among 'Imminent' Threats to Country Sputnik 21 Jun 2018 -- General Mark Carleton-Smith has given his inauguration speech, becoming the new army chief shortly after replacing General Sir Nick Carter, who has moved on to become chief of the defense staff.
- UK PM May Calls Britain Leading Defense Nation Amid Controversial Rumors Sputnik 21 Jun 2018 -- The alleged comment comes amid ongoing dispute at the Whitehall regarding military spending and ahead of upcoming NATO summit, where the US may again raise the question of greater involvement of its allies in financing the alliance.
- British Army set to redefine warfare with joint Autonomous Warrior UK MOD 20 Jun 2018 -- The British Army has launched the game-changing Autonomous Warrior (Land) experiment at the RUSI Land Warfare conference.
- EU may cancel Brexit security deal if UK quits European Court of Human Rights Press TV 18 Jun 2018 -- The European Union is threatening to nullify any EU-UK security partnership following Britain's exit from the bloc if the UK leaves the European Court of Human Rights.
- UK urged to raise military budget to counter Russia Press TV 18 Jun 2018 -- The British armed forces require a significant increase in funding to counter threats posed by Russia, a British parliamentary panel has warned.
- May says needs to ensure parliament won't block Brexit Press TV 17 Jun 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May says that it is essential to ensure that parliament could not block Brexit.
- French, US, UK forces aid push to seize Hudaydah: Report Press TV 16 Jun 2018 -- French special forces are present on the ground in Yemen supporting the ongoing Saudi-led military operation on the Red Sea port city of Hudaydah, Le Figaro newspaper has reported.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 15 Jun 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- French, British Ships to Sail Disputed Asian Sea, Rile China VOA 15 Jun 2018 -- British and French warships will sail to the disputed South China Sea in a display of naval strength that may satisfy domestic audiences but ruffle the waterway's major stakeholder, China, and lead to more militarization, analysts say.
- Fatal Flaw Reportedly Paralyzes the 'Backbone of the British Royal Navy' Sputnik 16 Jun 2018 -- A number of Britain's top-notch warships ended up spending more time docked than at sea due to their temperature-sensitive engines.
- Royal Air Force Furious as 'All-Weather' F-35s Fail to Arrive Due to Bad Weather Sputnik 07 Jun 2018 -- British defense officials' annoyance comes on the heels of a new report to the US Congress indicating that the $1.5 trillion fifth-gen stealth fighter still has over 100 critical defects which can jeopardize pilot and aircraft safety.
- UK receives first batch of F-35 fighter jets Press TV 07 Jun 2018 -- The UK has received the first four of the 138 F-35 Lightning stealth jets that it's committed to purchase from the American aerospace giant Lockheed Martin.
- Britain's most advanced jets touch down on home soil UK MOD 06 Jun 2018 -- The first of Britain's next-generation fighter jets have arrived home two months ahead of schedule in a major milestone for the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy.
- France, Britain Sending Ships to Challenge Beijing’s Claims in South China Sea Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- The French and British navies are planning to follow in the footsteps of the US Navy with their own wayfinding mission through the disputed South China Sea, specifically, into areas London and Paris argue are illegally claimed by Beijing.
- Defence Minister's visit strengthens UK ties with South America UK MOD 04 Jun 2018 -- The UK is determined to forge closer bonds with its partners in South America, Mark Lancaster has declared after a visit to three nations on the continent.
- Defence Secretary outlines plans for Indo-Pacific security at global summit UK MOD 04 Jun 2018 -- The international community must stand up as one to tackle extremism and complex cyber threats, Gavin Williamson has declared.
- UK sends warship, chopper to tail Russian vessels Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- The UK Royal Navy has deployed a warship and an aircraft to shadow a Russian navy ship as it passed through the English Channel.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list