Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2018 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Britain Test Fire New Land Ceptor Air Defense System in Baltic Sea Sputnik 30 May 2018 -- The British Army has completed the first firing trials of its new land-based medium range air defense missile system at a firing range in northern Sweden.
- Defence Secretary praises troops about to embark on countering elephant and rhino poaching operation UK MOD 29 May 2018 -- Gavin Williamson has praised British Army personnel who are preparing to train park rangers in Malawi in techniques that will help them protect African elephants and for the first time, black rhinos from poachers.
- British Army's new air defence missile blasts airborne target by Baltic Sea UK MOD 28 May 2018 -- A brand-new missile system at the heart of the British Army's future air defences has completed its first successful firing trials, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced.
- Israel Spends Record Sum on Weapons Purchases From the UK in 2017 - Report Sputnik 28 May 2018 -- The report comes amid ongoing deadly clashes between Palestinians in the Gaza Strip and Israeli border guards. Tel Aviv claims that the Gaza protests are organized as a provocation by Hamas.
- UK military contractors selling Israel record amounts of arms: Report Press TV 27 May 2018 -- A new report has revealed that British military contractors are selling record amounts of weapons and ammunition to the Israeli regime, in the wake of an announcement by the Kensington Palace that Prince William would represent the UK government on a visit to the occupied territories next month.
- UK Sales of Arms to Israel Hit Record in 2017 - Reports Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- United Kingdom's defense contractors supplied Israel with record amounts of arms in 2017, The Guardian newspaper reported Sunday.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 25 May 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- UK Defence Secretary: More Funds for Royal Navy to Counter 'Russian Threat' Sputnik 25 May 2018 -- UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson accused Russia of aggressive actions, using the "Russian threat" narrative as an argument to call on UK government to increase funding for the Royal Navy modernization.
- UK's £850mn missile system enters service Press TV 24 May 2018 -- The UK says its new £850 million missile defense system has completed all trials and is ready to be deployed across the world onboard the Royal Navy warships.
- Defence Minister welcomes first of new carrier-ready helicopter fleet UK MOD 24 May 2018 -- Defence Minister Guto Bebb has today announced the delivery of the first of a fleet of new helicopters designed for Royal Marine aircraft carrier operations.
- £850m Sea Ceptor missile system enters service with Royal Navy UK MOD 24 May 2018 -- A world-class missile system that will protect the Royal Navy's new aircraft carriers has officially entered service, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced today.
- Defence Secretary expands Army reserve numbers in Northern Ireland UK MOD 24 May 2018 -- The number of Army reserves in Northern Ireland will increase by nearly 200, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced.
- UK: States Attacked in Cyberspace Have Right to Self-Defense – Military Official Sputnik 23 May 2018 -- The United Kingdom believes that countries targeted by cyberattacks can resort to the right of self-defense to retaliate against the state which attacked them, UK Attorney General Jeremy Wright said on Wednesday.
- UK nuclear weapons incidents hit 6-year high Press TV 22 May 2018 -- The UK military experienced a record number of safety issues while transporting nuclear warheads and other critically sensitive equipment related to nuclear weapons last year, official records show.
- Flagship AI Lab announced as Defence Secretary hosts first meet between British and American defence innovators UK MOD 22 May 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson announced the launch of a new artificial intelligence hub as he hosted the first ever joint US-UK Defence Innovation Board meeting yesterday (21 May) to explore important areas of co-operation that will maintain military edge into the future.
- UK poised for take-off on ambitious Defence Space Strategy with personnel boost Gov.UK 21 May 2018 -- As the UK space sector's world-leading experts gather for the first ever UK Defence Space Conference, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced the launch of the UK's first Defence Space Strategy and pledged an uplift in expertise to ensure we remain at the forefront of the space domain.
- Moscow slam's Britain's 'unprecedented anti-Russian mania' after money laundering report Press TV 21 May 2018 -- Russian authorities have harshly criticized a report by British MPs alleging that people close to the Kremlin were hiding and laundering money in the United Kingdom, saying the claims show that anti-Russia rhetoric in Britain has reached unprecedented levels.
- Russian 'dirty money' damaging Britain: UK lawmakers Press TV 21 May 2018 -- The Russian "dirty money" invested in British assets and London's financial institutions weakens the government's plans to counter Moscow's foreign policy, UK lawmakers have warned.
- British Parliament Report Slams Effects Of 'Dirty' Russian Money RFE/RL 21 May 2018 -- "Dirty" Russian money is undermining Britain's efforts to stand up to the Kremlin and supports President Vladimir Putin's campaign "to subvert the international rules-based system," a parliamentary report says, drawing an angry reaction from the Kremlin.
- British MPs Urge More Financial Pressure on Russia VOA 21 May 2018 -- His football team won Britain's prestigious FA Cup Sunday, but Roman Abramovich, the Kremlin-tied Russian oligarch who owns Chelsea football club, is struggling to get his British visa renewed and officials are saying they are still considering his application.
- UK may send hundreds more troops to Afghanistan, bending to Trump demands Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Britain's military is reportedly considering to substantially increase the number of its troops in Afghanistan following demands by US President Donald Trump for NATO members to "pay their fair share" for the US-led military alliance.
- UK Troops in Afghanistan May Double to 'Send Message to Allies' - Reports Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- NATO is considering sending more troops to Afghanistan amid rising fears over security in the troubled country.
- Defence Minister visits UK flagship of NATO maritime group in Georgia UK MOD 18 May 2018 -- HMS Duncan is currently on deployment to the Black Seas
- Poisoned Ex-Spy Skripal Released From U.K. Hospital RFE/RL 18 May 2018 -- Sergei Skripal, a Russian former double agent who was poisoned with a nerve toxin in England in March, has been released from the hospital, British health authorities said on May 18.
- Britain and France Sign Agreement for Test Pilot Exchange UK MOD 17 May 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson and French Minister of the Armed Forces Mme Florence Parly today (17 May) held the first Defence Ministerial Council since the announcement of a permanent and regular forum for the discussion of UK-France defence cooperation in January 2018. During the meeting a bespoke technical arrangement which will oversee the exchange of test pilots between the two nations was signed.
- Scottish parliament decisively rejects May's EU withdrawal bill Press TV 16 May 2018 -- The Scottish parliament has decisively voted against the United Kingdom's legislation on departure from the European Union (EU), placing London on course for a major constitutional dispute with Edinburgh and the further postponement of Brexit.
- New stealth jets set to arrive home in Britain UK MOD 16 May 2018 -- Britain's next generation of fighter jets will start arriving at their new home early next month, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- US calls on UK to spend more on F-35 program Press TV 15 May 2018 -- The UK should funnel more money into the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Program if it wants maintain its military prowess in future, the US envoy to Britain has said, pledging that London will make "a lot of" money from the investment down the road.
- US Envoy to UK: London Should Spend More on F-35s, Less on Healthcare, Education Sputnik 15 May 2018 -- Ambassador Woody Johnson's aggressive pitch to Washington's ally across the pond seemed aimed at pressuring the island nation to buy more of America's new fifth-gen fighter jets.
- UK to Invest 2.5Bln for Submarine Construction – Defense Secretary Sputnik 14 May 2018 -- UK Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson announced that 2.5 billion pounds ($3.4 billion) would be put into the construction of new submarines for the Royal Navy, the UK government said in a statement.
- UK Risks Losing Influence on EU Security, Defence Ops After Brexit - Report Sputnik 14 May 2018 -- London risks losing leverage over EU Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) missions and operations in the post-Brexit period, and thus should seek to negotiate observer status in the EU planning and decision-making bodies on the issue, a report by the European Union Committee in the UK House of Lords said.
- Defence Secretary announces massive £2.5bn investment in UK nuclear submarines UK MOD 14 May 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson today announced the Ministry of Defence is investing a massive £2.5 billion in boosting Britain's submarine building projects.
- UK Intelligence Chief Says 12 Terrorist Attacks Foiled Since March 2017 Sputnik 14 May 2018 -- Twelve terrorist attacks were thwarted in the United Kingdom in the last 12 months, but the victory over Islamist terrorists requires further international attention, the head of the UK Security Service (MI5), Andrew Parker, said at a security conference in Berlin.
- Russia, Daesh threaten EU: UK spy chief Press TV 14 May 2018 -- Russia and the terrorist group Daesh are the two main threats that the European Union (EU) faces today, UK spy agency MI5's chief Andrew Parker will warn in rare public speech later on Monday.
- MI5 Chief: Russia Has Unleashed A 'Fog Of Lies' And Risks Becoming An 'Isolated Pariah' RFE/RL 14 May 2018 -- Russia is seeking to undermine European democracies and sow doubt in the West through malign activities and a "fog of lies," the head of Britain's domestic spy agency has told European intelligence chiefs.
- MI5 Chief Seeks Boosted Intel Sharing With EU Post-Brexit Amid "Russian Threat" Sputnik 14 May 2018 -- On Monday, MI5 Director General Andrew Parker is due to deliver a rare speech outside Britain, in which he will address the Counter Terrorism Group of 30 European security services.
- UK MPs Find Supermassive Black Hole in Defense Budget – Reports Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- Financial gaps could seriously hamper the British military's ability to face up to "serious challenges in national defense," MPs have warned.
- British Armed Forces in Need of Up To $28.5 Billion Over Next Decade – UK MPs Sputnik 11 May 2018 -- Military spending in the UK has long been a contentious matter, with views polarized on whether or not Britain should continue to spend billions of pounds on its Trident nuclear program, among other defense-related projects and matters.
- Britain Apologizes to Libyan Dissident Over Rendition, Torture VOA 10 May 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May issued a rare formal public apology Thursday to one of 15 Libyan Islamists delivered into the hands of Col. Moammar Gadhafi by British and American intelligence services and tortured after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks in the United States.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 09 May 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- UK Defense Ministry Starts Development of National Navigation System - Reports Sputnik 08 May 2018 -- The UK Ministry of Defense has started development of its own satellite navigation system because in future London could lose access to the European Galileo system after Brexit, local media reported.
- RAF Typhoons Sent to Intercept Russian Fighter Jet Near NATO Airspace Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- The Royal Air Force said on Friday that RAF Typhoons had been scrambled to intercept a Russian warplane approaching NATO airspace over the Black Sea.
- Royal Navy gets first unmanned minesweeping system UK MOD 05 May 2018 -- An autonomous minesweeper system that can safely clear sea lanes of mines has been handed over to the Royal Navy, Defence Minister Guto Bebb has announced.
- UK and allies stand united in face of intensifying threats UK MOD 04 May 2018 -- Nine nations come together for Joint Expeditionary Force live demonstration
- OPCW Spokesperson's Statement on Amount of Nerve Agent Used in Salisbury OPCW 04 May 2018 -- In response to questions from the media, the OPCW Spokesperson stated that the OPCW would not be able to estimate or determine the amount of the nerve agent that was used in Salisbury on 4 March 2018.
- Czech Government Says Nerve Agent Mentioned By Zeman Not Novichok RFE/RL 04 May 2018 -- The Czech-made nerve agent that President Milos Zeman described in a television interview as Novichok is of a different type than the toxin Britain says was used to poison a former spy, the Czech Foreign Ministry said in a statement on May 4.
- OPCW Unable to Determine Amount of Nerve Agent in Salisbury - Organization Sputnik 04 May 2018 -- The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons stated the nerve agent allegedly used in Salisbury for the Skripal poisoning was of high purity and resistant to weather conditions.
- OPCW Chief Says Large Dose of Nerve Agent Used in Salisbury – Reports Sputnik 04 May 2018 -- A large dose of toxin was used to poison a former Russian spy and his daughter in England, the head of the international chemical weapons watchdog told US media.
- UK and Norway defence ministers plan sub-hunting co-operation UK MOD 03 May 2018 -- The UK and Norway advanced their plans for international Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) co-operation in the North Atlantic, as the nations' defence ministers flew in an American P-8A Poseidon from RAF Lossiemouth today.
- British House Of Commons OKs Bill Targeting Russian Rights Abusers RFE/RL 02 May 2018 -- Britain's House of Commons has approved a measure to impose sanctions against people deemed guilty of human rights violations, in memory of the late Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list