Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2017 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK marks 350th UK deterrent patrol UK MOD 29 Sep 2017 -- Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has today marked the UK's 350th nuclear deterrence submarine patrol.
- False Caliphate faces collapse as UK marks three year tackling Daesh UK MOD 28 Sep 2017 -- Royal Air Force strikes 1,340 times in Iraq and 262 times in Syria since 2014 as terror cult cowers in Raqqa
- Defence Secretary names new warship HMS Belfast in Northern Ireland UK MOD 27 Sep 2017 -- Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon unveiled the name of one of the new Type 26 frigates as HMS Belfast during a trip to Northern Ireland today.
- RAF Valley's future secure for next 25 years as restoration work is completed UK MOD 26 Sep 2017 -- Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon unveiled a newly restored runway at RAF Valley on a trip to Anglesey, Wales today.
- New ship to support the aircraft carriers arrives in UK UK MOD 25 Sep 2017 -- The second of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary's new Tide-class support ships, RFA Tiderace, has arrived in Cornwall to begin a programme of customisation that will support 300 UK jobs.
- UK at heart of international missile defence exercise UK MOD 24 Sep 2017 -- Exercise Formidable Shield, a US-led multinational maritime integrated air and ballistic missile defence exercise has begun today off the coast of Scotland.
- GCHQ Warns of Massive Looming Cyberattack That Will Demand 'National Response' Sputnik 22 Sep 2017 -- UK intelligence agency GCHQ's National Cyber Security Center has warned the UK will fall victim to a major "preventable" cyberattack, even more severe than the WannaCry strike.
- HMS Ocean arrives in Caribbean to boost UK disaster relief effort UK MOD 22 Sep 2017 -- The Royal Navy's flagship HMS Ocean has arrived in the British Virgin Islands to support those affected by Hurricane Irma and Maria.
- UK sets up joint Caribbean Coordination Cell with French and Dutch allies UK MOD 21 Sep 2017 -- Building on the strong collaboration seen between the three nations so far in the international response to the devastation caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria, the UK, Netherlands and France have created the Multinational Caribbean Coordination Cell (MNCCC).
- Amid Yemen war, Saudi signs military cooperation deal with Britain Press TV 19 Sep 2017 -- Britain and Saudi Arabia have signed a framework deal on military and security cooperation as the Riyadh regime intensifies its ongoing campaign against Yemen.
- UK signs arms deal with Qatar after US jet sales Press TV 18 Sep 2017 -- The UK has signed a major military deal to sell Qatar 24 Eurofighter Typhoon jets amid accusations that the West is exploiting a diplomatic row among the Persian Gulf Arab states for its own profit.
- Ministers announce Ajax delivery milestone in Wales UK MOD 18 Sep 2017 -- Defence Minister Harriett Baldwin and Minister for the UK Government in Wales Guto Bebb visited General Dynamics' factory in Wales today to see two vehicles in the final stages of testing before they are delivered to the British Army.
- Qatar to Purchase 24 Typhoon Fighters from UK Sputnik 18 Sep 2017 -- London has always been interested in forging strategic security and trade ties with Qatar which seems to reciprocate: the country has agreed to purchase Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jets from the UK.
- Defence Secretary strengthens UK-Qatar Defence relationship UK MOD 17 Sep 2017 -- Today the Defence Secretary has welcomed Qatar's intent to proceed with the purchase of Typhoon aircraft and the further strengthening of the United Kingdom's defence relationship with the State of Qatar.
- UK will regret leaving EU, warns EU President Jean-Claude Juncker Press TV 13 Sep 2017 -- European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has warned that Britain will regret its decision to leave the European Union, saying that the bloc will "move on" after London's departure.
- Defence Secretary announces £55m contract for UK bomb disposal robots at DSEI UK MOD 13 Sep 2017 -- Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has announced a contract worth up to £55 million for 56 innovative bomb disposal robots at the Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEI) Exhibition in London this morning.
- Hurricane Irma: UK government actions update, 10 September 2017 UK MOD 10 Sep 2017 -- A summary of the actions that the government has taken to support UK overseas territories and British people affected by Hurricane Irma.
- Hurricane Irma: UK government actions update, 10 September 2017 UK MOD 09 Sep 2017 -- The UK is continuing to step up its military support to the Caribbean Islands left devastated by Hurricane Irma.
- Britain Announces More Support for Lebanese Army VOA 08 Sep 2017 -- Britain announced Thursday it is stepping up support of the Lebanese army, providing funds for defensive barriers to be used along Lebanon's border with Syria.
- Britain's second aircraft carrier named in Rosyth UK MOD 08 Sep 2017 -- HMS Prince of Wales, the second of the Royal Navy's two future flagships being built by the Aircraft Carrier Alliance, was officially named today during a ceremony in Rosyth, Scotland
- RFA Mounts Bay delivers vital aid to Caribbean islands UK MOD 08 Sep 2017 -- RFA Mounts Bay has delivered six tonnes of emergency aid to Anguilla and will shortly arrive in the British Virgin Islands.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list