Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2017 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 30 Jun 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Sweden and Finland join UK-led response force UK MOD 30 Jun 2017 -- Sir Michael Fallon met his Swedish and Finnish counterparts at a signing event welcoming the two countries to the Joint Expeditionary Force.
- The United States, the United Kingdom, and Norway Trilateral Declaration of Intent on Maritime Security in the North Atlantic DoD 29 Jun 2017 -- Today, Norway, the United Kingdom, and the United States signed a statement of intent to lay out guiding principles for a trilateral partnership with P-8A aircraft to address the changing security environment in the North Atlantic.
- US Inks Deal With UK, Norway to Form Partnership With P-8A Aircraft Sputnik 29 Jun 2017 -- Norway, the United Kingdom, and the United States signed a statement of intent to lay out guiding principles for a trilateral partnership with P-8A aircraft to address the changing security environment in the North Atlantic, according to official statement.
- Defence Secretary steps up UK commitments to NATO UK MOD 29 Jun 2017 -- Sir Michael Fallon has announced a package of new contributions to NATO, underlining the UK's leading role within the Alliance.
- Scotland postpones 2nd independence referendum until after Brexit Press TV 28 Jun 2017 -- Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says she will postpone plans for a second independence referendum until after negotiations over Britain's exit from the European Union have concluded next year.
- Defence Secretary announces £48 million Apache training contract UK MOD 28 Jun 2017 -- The Defence Secretary announced the six-year contract alongside new measures to tackle global cyber threats at the Land Warfare Conference.
- Nation's flagship takes to sea for the first time UK MOD 26 Jun 2017 -- History was made today as HMS Queen Elizabeth, the first QE Class aircraft carrier, set sail from Rosyth to commence first stage sea trials off the north-east of Scotland.
- £260M job-sustaining contract for advanced identification system UK MOD 22 Jun 2017 -- The Ministry of Defence has awarded a £260 million contract to supply the UK's with the next generation of secure Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) technology. The work will sustain around 150 jobs in Luton, the West of England, Edinburgh and across the UK supply chain.
- £135M infrastructure contract marks milestone in UK F35 programme UK MOD 21 Jun 2017 -- The Defence Secretary announced that the Ministry of Defence has awarded a £135million contract to support the new fast jets at RAF Marham.
- 1,500 British troops exercising with NATO allies in Europe UK MOD 14 Jun 2017 -- Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon visits some of the 1,500 British personnel currently exercising across five countries in Europe.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 12 Jun 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Britain's May Names New Cabinet, Vows to Stay on as PM VOA 11 Jun 2017 -- Britain's embattled Prime Minister Theresa May has unveiled her new Cabinet, aimed at focusing on social issues and "delivering a successful Brexit."
- Two Views From Brussels: How U.K. Election Changes Brexit Debate RFE/RL 09 Jun 2017 -- Snap elections in the United Kinghdom have cost the Conservative government its majority and raised more questions than answers among Britain's international counterparts.
- U.K. Prime Minister Will Try To Form Minority Government RFE/RL 09 Jun 2017 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May says she will work with the Democratic Unionist Party of Northern Ireland (DUP) to try to form a minority government after her Conservative Party lost its parliamentary majority in a snap election.
- Exit Poll: British Election Could Be Major Setback for PM May VOA 08 Jun 2017 -- Voters in Britain apparently have dealt Prime Minister Theresa May's ruling Conservative Party a major setback in a snap election she called to rally support ahead of negotiations to exit the European Union.
- U.K. PM Seeks Stronger Brexit Mandate, Larger Majority As Britons Go To Polls RFE/RL 08 Jun 2017 -- Voters in Britain are going to the polls in a general election that will determine who guides the country through its Brexit negotiations on leaving the European Union -- and how strong their mandate will be in the talks.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 06 Jun 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- UK, France, US Sign Trilateral Submarine Agreement NNS 05 Jun 2017 -- Naval leaders from the United Kingdom, France and the United States signed an agreement June 1, designed to increase coordination for anti-submarine warfare activities of the three countries as they operate in the 5th Fleet area of operations.
- US, UK, France Sign Deal to Boost Anti-Submarine Coordination Sputnik 05 Jun 2017 -- Naval leaders from the United Kingdom, France and the United States signed an agreement, June 1, designed to increase coordination for anti-submarine warfare activities of the three countries as they operate in the 5th Fleet area of operations, according to official statement.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list