Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2016 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK to open permanent military base in Bahrain: Report Press TV 29 Oct 2016 -- The United Kingdom will open a massive permanent military base in Bahrain and deploy warships in the Persian Gulf, a new report has revealed.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 28 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK Gov't Support Deal to Sentinel Surveillance Aircraft to Sustain 160 New Jobs Sputnik 27 Oct 2016 -- The UK government supports the British Sentinel surveillance aircraft, that will ensure 160 new jobs across the United Kingdom.
- Surveillance aircraft support deal sustains around 160 UK jobs UK MOD 27 Oct 2016 -- Minister for Defence Procurement, Harriett Baldwin announces £131.5 million support contract for RAF's Sentinel surveillance aircraft.
- UK maritime personnel train the Libyan Coastguard UK MOD 27 Oct 2016 -- UK Armed Forces personnel will tomorrow begin operations to help train the Libyan Coastguard, the Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has confirmed.
- UK announces new troop deployment near Russia's borders Press TV 26 Oct 2016 -- British Defense Minister Michael Fallon says the UK is set to deploy hundreds of troops to the Baltic region in Europe to support its NATO allies in the face of a "more assertive Russia."
- UK to Deploy Tanks, Drones to Eastern Europe to 'Boost NATO Presence' Sputnik 26 Oct 2016 -- Michael Fallon said that UK Defense Ministry mulls sending tactical drones and Challenger 2 tanks to Eastern Europe as part of its commitment to NATO to deploy a battalion to Estonia.
- UK steps up measures to reassure European allies UK MOD 26 Oct 2016 -- The UK is stepping up its package of measures to support its allies in Europe, in the face of a more assertive Russia, the Defence Secretary Michael Fallon announced today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 25 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK to resume training of Syrian opposition to fight Daesh UK MOD 25 Oct 2016 -- UK personnel will train members of vetted moderate Syrian opposition groups in infantry, medical and explosive hazard awareness skills as part of the counter Daesh campaign, the Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced.
- UK to resume militant training in Syria: Defense minister Press TV 25 Oct 2016 -- UK Minister of Defense Michael Fallon says British special forces will soon resume training "moderate" militants in Syria to bolster the fight against the Daesh (ISIL) Takfiri group.
- UK troops to bolster NATO mission in Kosovo UK MOD 23 Oct 2016 -- UK Armed Forces will increase their support to a NATO force in Kosovo, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 21 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Fear and 'Dreadnought': UK's New Nuclear Submarine Will 'Deter' Extreme Threats Sputnik 21 Oct 2016 -- Britain's Ministry of Defense (MoD) has revealed the name for its new submarine - and it's exactly the same, in fact "resonates", with a Royal Navy ship that was christened over a hundred years ago.
- Defence Secretary announces major cyber investment UK MOD 20 Oct 2016 -- The UK will invest up to £265m to boost the defence of military cyber systems, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- Defence Secretary speaks at Cyber Symposium UK MOD 20 Oct 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon today delivered a speech at the second RUSI Cyber Symposium in London.
- US, UK Commences Mine Countermeasures Exercise 17-1 in Arabian Gulf NNS 19 Oct 2016 -- Commander, Task Force (CTF) 52 with the UK Mine Countermeasures Force (COMUKMCMFOR) commenced the UK-U.S. Mine Countermeasures Exercise 17-1 with a photographic exercise (PHOTOEX) formation in the Arabian Gulf, Oct. 19.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 19 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 17 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Argentina Upset Over UK Military Exercises Planned Near Falklands Sputnik 15 Oct 2016 -- Argentinian government has issued an official protest against British military drills that are to take place near disputed Falkland/Malvinas Islands.
- Royal Navy tests unmanned fleet of the future UK MOD 14 Oct 2016-- The Royal Navy is leading 'Unmanned Warrior 16', an innovative demonstration of autonomous systems which could transform the way in which the Armed Forces of the future help keep Britain safe.
- RFA Mounts Bay resumes arms trafficking patrol UK MOD 13 Oct 2016 -- RFA Mounts Bay has resumed duties patrolling the Mediterranean to counter illegal arms trafficking.
- UK, US Navies Hold Massive War Games to Bolster Robotic Minesweeping Capability Sputnik 13 Oct 2016 -- The navies of the US and the UK are holding large-scale war games to test cutting-edge robotic technologies in underwater mining.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 10 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- 2,300 UK maritime forces take part in exercise with Albania UK MOD 08 Oct 2016 -- Around 2,300 UK maritime personnel have taken part in a joint exercise with Albania as part of increasing cooperation.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 06 Oct 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK govt. slammed for building subs with French steel Press TV 05 Oct 2016 -- UK Defense Minister Michael Fallon has kicked off the building of new nuclear-capable submarines, despite public outrage over their costs and the material used to build them.
- UK to opt out of European Convention on Human Rights Press TV 04 Oct 2016 -- British military forces will soon be allowed to violate European human rights laws on the battlefield, a move that according to UK Prime Minister Theresa May protects them from "vexatious" legal claims.
- Government to protect Armed Forces from persistent legal claims in future overseas operations UK MOD 04 Oct 2016 -- The Government will protect our Armed Forces from persistent legal claims by introducing a presumption to derogate from the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) in future conflicts, the Prime Minister and the Defence Secretary have announced.
- 'Sudden, unilateral' Brexit against law, May suggests Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May addresses the Conservative Party's annual conference, rejecting any "sudden and unilateral withdrawal" from the European Union.
- Brexit will start by end of March 2017: British PM Press TV 02 Oct 2016 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has confirmed that she will formally begin the Brexit process by the end of March 2017.
- PM May: Brexit Process to Start by End of Next March VOA 02 Oct 2016 -- The British prime minister says Britain will formally start the process of leaving the European Union by the end of March, 2017.
- Building to start on new nuclear submarines as government announces £1.3 billion investment UK MOD 01 Oct 2016 -- Construction work will start on the UK’s new nuclear submarines, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced.
- Britain will have 'full Brexit' from EU: UK defense secretary Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- The British defense minister says the United Kingdom will fully break up with the European Union (EU), dismissing calls for a "soft Brexit."
- UK Gov't to Invest $1.7Bln in New Nuclear Submarines' Construction Sputnik 01 Oct 2016 -- According to a press release, UK government unveiled a project to invest 1.3 billion British pounds ($1.7 billion) in the construction of the new Successor-class nuclear submarines, part of the full 178 billion-pound spending plan for Britain's military.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list