Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2016 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK powers up Albania defence partnership UK MOD 29 Sep 2016 -- UK is building a stronger relationship with Albania by working side-by-side on NATO exercises and beyond, the Defence Secretary has said.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 28 Sep 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Defence Secretary calls on Europe to step up security efforts UK MOD 27 Sep 2016 -- During an informal EU Defence Ministerial in Slovakia Defence Secretary Michael Fallon reassured European partners that the UK would continue to play a proactive role in tackling security threats.
- Britain Still a Thorn in the Side of EU Military Cooperation VOA 27 Sep 2016 -- Despite its recent decision to part ways with the European Union, Britain will still oppose any attempts the alliance makes to form its own military force, British Defense Minister Michael Fallon said Tuesday.
- UK Defense Secretary Says No Consensus Reached in EU on Creation of Single Army Sputnik 27 Sep 2016 -- There is no consensus in the European Union on the idea of creating a single EU army, as the United Kingdom is not the only member state to oppose the move, UK Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said Tuesday.
- UK remains opposed to EU army, says will harm NATO Press TV 27 Sep 2016 -- Despite a decision to leave the European Union (EU), the UK will continue to oppose the creation of an EU army as it will "undermine" the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), says British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon.
- Showdown Over Franco-German Defense Plans as EU Split on Military Cooperation Sputnik 27 Sep 2016 -- Highly controversial plans to deepen EU military cooperation are to be discussed by European defense ministers on Tuesday, September 27, during a meeting in Bratislava, with the Franco-German proposals expected to face opposition from the UK and Eastern European member states.
- UK strengthens Bulgaria ties to tackle threats UK MOD 27 Sep 2016 -- Britain will deepen its Defence relationship with Bulgaria to help tackle security threats in South Eastern Europe.
- UK military, MI6 need to be scaled back: Labour leader Press TV 26 Sep 2016 -- UK Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn has backed an official inquiry into British troops' possible crimes abroad, while calling for smaller armed forces and intelligence services in Britain.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 23 Sep 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- British Typhoon jets intercept Russian Blackjack bombers Press TV 23 Sep 2016 -- The UK has scrambled jet fighters to intercept two Russian bombers that were approaching its borders, the British defense ministry says.
- UK intelligence agency to work with private sector to develop cyber security technologies People's Daily 23 Sep 2016 -- A groundbreaking partnership in Britain to develop world-leading cyber security technology was given a 65-million-U.S.-dollar boost Friday.
- Defence Secretary reaffirms strong ties with Kuwait UK MOD 21 Sep 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has reaffirmed the UK's Defence relationship with Kuwait during a visit to the Gulf country.
- UK admits taking part in Syria airstrikes that killed scores of troops Press TV 19 Sep 2016 -- Britain is the latest country to acknowledge its participation in the airstrikes that reportedly killed 83 soldiers in the Syrian city of Dayr al-Zawr on Saturday.
- 'British military incapable of defending country against Russia' Press TV 17 Sep 2016 -- The United Kingdom would not be able to confront serious military powers, like Russia, in the event of a conventional conflict, a former senior commander has warned.
- UK Defense Ministry Says Placed $3.2Mln Order for New Missile-Confusing Decoys Sputnik 17 Sep 2016 -- The UK Ministry of Defence on Friday said it ordered 2.5 million pounds ($3.2 million) worth of the newly developed BriteCloud anti-missile decoy systems to test their operability.
- Joint Statement on the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty by the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty Nuclear-Weapon States US Dept. of State 15 Sep 2016 -- The text of the following statement was issued jointly by the Governments of China, France, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- UK government refuses to give MPs vote on arms sales to Saudi Arabia Press TV 14 Sep 2016 -- The British government refuses to give lawmakers a vote on whether to keep selling arms to Saudi Arabia, engaged in war crimes in Yemen.
- Libya Report Slams British, French Ouster of Gadhafi VOA 15 Sep 2016 -- A group of British lawmakers has strongly criticized the intervention by Britain and France in 2011 that led to the ouster of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
- Libyan intervention based on erroneous assumptions; David Cameron ultimately responsible UK Commons Foreign Affairs Committee 14 Sep 2016 -- The Foreign Affairs Committee has published a report examining the intervention and subsequent collapse of Libya.
- UK, Argentina Agree on 1st Joint Positive Statement on Falklands Since 1999 Sputnik 14 Sep 2016 -- Britain and Argentina agreed to work toward removing restrictive measures around the oil and gas industry, shipping and fishing.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 14 Sep 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Brexiters Tell PM May to Speed Up Britain's Break With EU VOA 11 Sep 2016 -- In the run-up to Britain's referendum on whether to remain in the European Union, opponents of Brexit warned that leaving the bloc would lead to economic peril, but the country's economy appears to have performed strongly in the 78 days since the vote, undermining predictions of gloom and doom.
- UN Peacekeeping Defence Ministerial: London Communiqué Gov.UK 08 Sep 2016
- U.S.-U.K. Cyber Agreement Opens Doors for Both Nations AFPS 08 Sep 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter and his British counterpart Michael Fallon yesterday signed a first-of-its kind agreement to together advance offensive and defensive cyber capabilities, Carter said in a joint press conference in London as part of his three-day trip to the United Kingdom and Norway.
- UK bolsters support to peacekeeping in South Sudan UK MOD 08 Sep 2016 -- Up to one hundred extra UK Armed Forces personnel are to join UN peacekeeping work in South Sudan, adding to 300 announced under the previous Government.
- New Snowden Leak: NSA's 'Collect All the Signals' Spy Strategy Started in the UK Sputnik 07 Sep 2016 -- While mass metadata collection may be most closely associated with US intelligence agencies, new Snowden documents reveal that the tactic was originally deployed across the Atlantic.
- Carter: U.S., U.K. Continue to Stand Together in a Changing World AFPS 07 Sep 2016 -- The United States and the United Kingdom continue to stand together in the face of aggression by Russia and barbarism by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today in Oxford, England.
- Britain to Begin Construction on Calais Wall to Contain Migrants VOA 07 Sep 2016 -- Britain plans to start building a wall in the northern French port of Calais as part of measures to contain migrants, junior Home Office Minister Robert Goodwill said Wednesday.
- UK becomes world's second biggest arms dealer Press TV 05 Sep 2016 -- The UK government has become the world's second biggest arms dealer, with bulk of its weapons fueling deadly conflicts in the Middle East, according to official data.
- Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister May of the United Kingdom After Bilateral Meeting at the G20 Summit The White House 04 Sep 2016
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 02 Sep 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK warship heads to Mediterranean to help tackle arms trafficking UK MOD 01 Sep 2016 -- The Royal Navy warship HMS Diamond will sail to the southern Mediterranean to join an operation aimed at countering arms trafficking.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list