Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2016 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Royal Navy ship supports removal of potential chemical weapon materials from Libya UK MOD 31 Aug 2016 -- A Royal Navy vessel has assisted in the removal of the last batch of known materials which could be used in the manufacture of chemical weapons from Libya.
- UK warship to join US fleet in Persian Gulf Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- Royal Navy destroyer HMS Daring is slated to join a fleet of US warships stationed in the Persian Gulf, UK Defense Secretary Michael Fallon says.
- UK warship to join campaign against Daesh UK MOD 29 Aug 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced that warship HMS Daring will deploy to the Gulf as the UK's latest contribution to the campaign against Daesh.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 26 Aug 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK dismisses concerns about arms sale to S Arabia Press TV 23 Aug 2016 -- The British government has dismissed concerns about selling arms to Saudi Arabia amid accusations that it misled the parliament over the case.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 22 Aug 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Bulk Data Interception is of 'Vital Utility' to UK Intelligence, Security Sputnik 19 Aug 2016 -- London considers bulk interception of data to be extremely important for security and intelligence, according to a report.
- Armed Forces Minister welcomes liberation of Manbij UK MOD 17 Aug 2016 -- Freeing of the strategic town in northern Syria is the latest gain in the fight against Daesh.
- MOD buys third record-breaking UAV UK MOD 17 Aug 2016 -- The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has today announced it has ordered a third, record-breaking, Zephyr-S Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), as part of a £13-million contract with Airbus Defence and Space (ADS).
- MOD signs £184 million contract to secure air-to-air missiles for the F-35B UK MOD 16 Aug 2016-- The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has awarded a contract worth around £184 million to ensure the UK’s new supersonic stealth combat aircraft will continue to be equipped with the latest air-to-air missile.
- UK accuses two Chinese servicemen of espionage: Report Press TV 15 Aug 2016 -- Two Chinese servicemen participating in a training program by the UK's Royal Air Force were "high-level intelligence officers" tasked with espionage duties, a confidential report has confirmed.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 12 Aug 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- Innovation Initiative to bring future-tech and ideas to the Armed Forces UK MOD 12 Aug 2016 -- Defence Secretary launches new innovation push backed by £800m Fund.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 08 Aug 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- US, UK Work Together in SQUADEX-16 NNS 08 Aug 2016 -- U.S. Navy and U.K. Royal Navy conducted mine countermeasures (MCM) exercise SQUADEX-16 in the Arabian Gulf, July 30 through Aug. 5.
- UK Armed Forces deployments tackle security threats in Africa UK MOD 05 Aug 2016-- The UK is playing a substantial role in tackling security threats across Africa, with deployments in Nigeria and Somalia.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 03 Aug 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- British jets attack former Saddam palace in Mosul Press TV 03 Aug 2016 -- British warplanes have targeted one of Iraq's former dictator Saddam Hussein's palaces in the northern city of Mosul, the UK Ministry of Defense says.
- Theresa May tells Lords to support Brexit after threats to derail Article 50 plans Press TV 01 Aug 2016 -- Downing Street has responded to reports that the House of Lords could derail or delay the process of leaving the European Union.
- Troubled UK Royal Navy destroyers return home Press TV 01 Aug 2016 -- All six of the UK navy's advanced Type 45 destroyers have been docked in Portsmouth Harbor and are about to undergo heavy maintenance operations after facing constant breakdowns in the Persian Gulf.
- UK Defense Ministry to Allocate Over $1.32Bln for First Stealth Submarine Sputnik 01 Aug 2016 -- The UK Defense Ministry will allocate a billion pounds ($1.32 billion) to begin the construction of the first ultra-stealth submarines out of four planned, media reported Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list