Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2016 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- British forces, tanks headed for Russian borders: Report Press TV 29 May 2016 -- The United Kingdom is ready to deploy at least 1,000 troops to the Baltic States bordering with Russia, backing them with tanks and artillery in order to boost the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)'s buildup in the region, a new report has revealed.
- Britain selling record amount of weaponry to repressive regimes Press TV 29 May 2016 -- The British government is selling record amounts of weaponry such as missiles, bombs and grenades to repressive regimes identified by its Foreign Office as having dubious human rights records, including war crimes.
- UK Navy ship due in Libyan waters Press TV 27 May 2016 -- The United Kingdom is all set to send a naval warship into Libyan waters in an effort to curb the trafficking of people and arms there, officials say.
- Cameron Promises UK Warship to Libya to Fight People Smuggling Sputnik 27 May 2016 -- The UN backed unity government in Tripoli has called on the UK government to help target and stop the increased number of migrant smugglers in Libya.
- Russian Military Modernization Poses Increased Threat to NATO Sputnik 24 May 2016 -- Russia's military investments recent increase poses the threat to NATO and the United Kingdom, UK Secretary of State for Defence Michael Fallon said Tuesday.
- Counter-Daesh Quarterly Update UK MOD 24 May 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon as provided the Government's quarterly update on the counter-Daesh campaign.
- UK Arms Export Controls Committees to Examine Alleged Cluster Bombs Use Sputnik 23 May 2016 -- The United Kingdom Parliament's Committees on Arms Export Controls will examine any evidence of cluster munitions use, a spokesman for the committees told Sputnik on Monday.
- UK Defense Ministry Rejects Reports on London's Support for Pan-EU Army Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The UK Defense Ministry rejected on Sunday media reports on alleged London's plans to support an EU Army, according to a statement published on the ministry's website.
- New UK Navy ships will scare off foes: Officials Press TV 21 May 2016 -- The United Kingdom has unveiled two vast new aircraft carriers which, officials say, could be used in fighting against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group and make potential enemies "think twice" before starting a war with Britain.
- New helicopter deal boosts UK's investment in military flying training to £2.8 billion UK MOD 20 May 2016-- A new contract worth around £1.1 billion has been awarded to UK industry to supply rotary wing training to the Armed Forces.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 19 May 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- £411 million investment in new missile for UK's new jets sustains 700 UK jobs UK MOD 18 May 2016-- The Ministry of Defence has awarded a £411 million contract to develop a new missile for the UK's future F-35B supersonic stealth aircraft.
- UK to increase training to Oman UK MOD 17 May 2016 -- The UK will increase its short term training effort in Oman by a third this year, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced.
- Royal Air Force Typhoons scramble to meet Russian aircraft UK MOD 17 May 2016-- Royal Air Force Typhoons have completed their second interception in less than a week during the latest NATO Baltic Air Policing mission.
- British navy ships shadow Russian frigate around UK Press TV 12 May 2016 -- British navy ships have tracked a Russian vessel in UK waters and escorted it out of the region.
- Royal Air Force Typhoons intercept Russian aircraft near Baltics UK MOD 12 May 2016 -- Royal Air Force Typhoon fighter jets have carried out their first intercept of Russian aircraft in this round of NATO's Baltic Air Policing mission (BAP).
- Former NATO, US Officials See Negative Consequences from Brexit VOA 10 May 2016 -- A British exit from the European Union would damage Western security and weaken Europe, former NATO secretary-generals, and former U.S. secretaries of state and defense warned Tuesday.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 09 May 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- US may lose large military base in British territory Press TV 09 May 2016 -- The United States is about to lose one of its largest overseas military bases due to the approaching expiration of a lease contract on the British territory of Diego Garcia Island.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 04 May 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK considering further support to fight against Daesh UK MOD 04 May 2016 -- The Defence Secretary met with counterparts from ten countries in the Global Coalition against Daesh today to review recent progress and consider further steps to accelerate the campaign .
- MOD drives £100m savings through new fleet management contract UK MOD 03 May 2016-- A new contract to manage the Ministry of Defence's fleet of lease and hire vehicles will target savings of £100 million. It follows the Defence Secretary's instruction last year that the cost of vehicle hire was reviewed and reduced.
- IS Threatens to Publish British Military Secrets VOA 03 May 2016 -- Islamic State has claimed to have hacked Britain's Ministry of Defense and threatened to publish details of British military personnel.
- UK begins troop deployment to South Sudan, Somalia Press TV 02 May 2016 -- A team of UK Army soldiers has arrived in Somalia as part of Britain's plans to deploy hundreds of troops in several African countries, following a pledge by Prime Minister David Cameron.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list