Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2016 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Versatile Vikings' £37 million upgrade completed UK MOD 29 Apr 2016 -- The Royal Navy's fleet of amphibious all-terrain vehicles – Vikings – have reached full operational capability (FOC) after a 3.5 year journey.
- RAF jets fly on Baltic policing mission UK MOD 29 Apr 2016 -- The UK has taken up a leading role policing the skies over the Baltic states to deter threats such as aggression from Russia.
- British Forces support Gabon's fight against elephant poachers UK MOD 28 Apr 2016 -- British soldiers have deployed to West Africa to provide further support to the Gabon National Parks Agency in their fight against elephant poachers.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 26 Apr 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK Gov't Seeks to Quell Fears Over Warship Contract in Scotland Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- UK Secretary of State for Scotland David Mundell stated that the UK Government is absolutely committed to shipbuilding on the Clyde, and to the Type 26 programme, which is a very significant investment.
- UK may take military action in Libya if requested Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- The United Kingdom has raised the possibility of using military force in Libya to help legitimate Libyan authorities bring the security situation in the country under control.
- Defence Secretary welcomes deployable UK-France joint force UK MOD 21 Apr 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon and French Defence Secretary Jean-Yves Le Drian see Exercise Griffin Strike in full flow.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 19 Apr 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK Arms Sale Licenses to Saudi Arabia Total $4Bln in 1 Year Sputnik 19 Apr 2016 -- The United Kingdom has issued 2.8 billion pounds ($4 billion) worth of arms export licenses to Saudi Arabia in a little over a year since Riyadh launched airstrikes against rebels in Yemen, British media reported Tuesday.
- UK Defense Ministry Admits Gaffe Over Leaked War Games Report Sputnik 18 Apr 2016 -- The UK Ministry of Defense has admitted a "communications issue" which led to a manual about a joint exercise off the Scottish coast containing codewords and "special instructions" being sent out accidentally to fishermen and ferry operators.
- NATO Secretary General in London: UK leadership important for NATO NATO 14 Apr 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Prime Minister David Cameron at No 10 on Thursday (14 April 2016) for talks on how NATO is adapting to face the greatest security challenges in a generation. The Secretary General thanked the United Kingdom for its role in strengthening collective defence, its significant contributions to NATO missions, and its leadership on defence spending.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 14 Apr 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK and Lebanon discuss tackling Daesh threat UK MOD 13 Apr 2016 -- The Defence Secretary has reaffirmed the UK's commitment to help Lebanon protect itself against terrorism, including the threat from Daesh.
- Royal Navy takes command of Maritime Security Force UK MOD 12 Apr 2016 -- The Royal Navy has taken command of Combined Task Force (CTF) 150 after conducting a handover ceremony with the Royal Australian Navy.
- UK and France launch rapid deployment exercise UK MOD 10 Apr 2016 -- A joint force between the UK and France will face its biggest development test to date as the two countries come together for an exercise.
- MOD announces investment boost for the home of the UK's new cutting-edge aircraft UK MOD 07 Apr 2016 -- The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has announced contracts worth £167 million to upgrade and build new facilities at RAF Marham, the future home of the UK's F-35B Lightning II squadrons.
- Kuwait joins the Typhoon family UK MOD 05 Apr 2016 -- The Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has welcomed Kuwait to the Eurofighter Typhoon family after the State became the eighth country to invest in this world-beating, battle proven, multi-role combat aircraft. The purchase will further strengthen the enduring bilateral defence relationship between Kuwait and the UK.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 04 Apr 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK jets and warship to bolster Baltic security UK MOD 03 Apr 2016 -- RAF Typhoon and the Royal Navy warship HMS Iron Duke will deploy to the Baltic this month.
- UK Defense Ministry Denies Leaving Falkland Islands Unprotected Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- The UK Ministry of Defense spokesperson refuted reports about London allegedly leaving the disputed Falkland Islands unprotected.
- Defence Secretary announces £40m Cyber Security Operations Centre UK MOD 01 Apr 2016 -- The Defence Secretary announced the new centre on a visit to MOD Corsham. In a move to further strengthen the UK's cyber defences, the Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced that over £40 million will be spent on a new Cyber Security Operations Centre (CSOC). The preferred location for the centre will be at MOD Corsham.
- UK MoD Dodging Requests to Disclose Number of Killer Drones in Middle East Sputnik 01 Apr 2016 -- The UK Ministry of Defense continues denying requests to disclose the number of Reaper drones deployed from the Middle East countries, the investigative online outlet Drone Wars UK said Friday.
- Defence budget increases for the first time in six years UK MOD 01 Apr 2016 -- Today the Defence budget - as set in the Spending Review - will go up in real terms for the first time in 6 years.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list