Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2016 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 30 Mar 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- UK to lead Gulf Maritime Force UK MOD 29 Mar 2016 -- The UK will lead a Gulf joint maritime force to deter piracy, tackle terrorism, and disrupt smuggling, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- £372 million investment for Hawk support sustains 700 UK jobs UK MOD 28 Mar 2016 -- The MOD has committed £372 million across four contracts for the continued in-service support of Hawk fast jet training aircraft, securing around 700 UK jobs until 2020.
- Jordanians, Britons in Africa to tackle al-Shabab 'in world war against terror' Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- Jordanian and British special forces are secretly working together thousands of miles away in Africa, allegedly to fight al-Shabab terrorists in Somalia, a report claims.
- 'UK troops training Bahraini snipers' amid regime crackdown Press TV 26 Mar 2016 -- British forces are providing training to Bahrain's armed forces on using sniper rifles, a report says, amid Manama's heavy-handed crackdown on peaceful anti-regime protests.
- United Kingdom - P-8A Aircraft and Associated Support DSCA 25 Mar 2016 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the United Kingdom for P-8A Aircraft and associated equipment, training, and support. The estimated cost is $3.2 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on March 24, 2016.
- Leaked Memo Reveals UK Special Air Service Deployed in Libya Since January Sputnik 25 Mar 2016 -- According to a leaked memo written by King Abdullah II, Jordanian troops have operated alongside UK Special Air Service troops in Libya since January.
- UK Security Services Prevent Seven Terror Attacks Over Last 18 Months Sputnik 23 Mar 2016 -- UK Home Secretary Theresa May said that in the last 18 months, the police and the security services have disrupted seven terrorist plots to attack the UK.
- Major investment boost for next generation Royal Navy ships UK MOD 22 Mar 2016 -- The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has announced a further £472 million for the Royal Navy's Type 26 Global Combat Ship programme.
- British Spy Agency GCHQ Moves Fast to Prevent Mass Energy Hack Attack Sputnik 22 Mar 2016 -- The UK intelligence agency GCHQ has stepped in to prevent a massive hack attack on Britain's energy networks after discovering so-called "smart meters" - designed to replace 53 million gas and electricity meters can be easily hacked.
- Britain Expected to Sign 15-Year Defense Deal With Ukraine Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- The United Kingdom will sign a 15-year defense treaty with Ukraine providing for an increase in the number of joint training missions and British military instructors, Ukraine Presidential Administration spokesman on military operations Andriy Lysenko said Saturday.
- UK relationship with Ukraine strengthened by Defence agreement UK MOD 18 Mar 2016 -- The UK's relationship with Ukraine has been strengthened by the signing of a new Defence agreement.
- UK to increase training to Iraqi forces UK MOD 12 Mar 2016 -- Britain is set to pledge several dozen more troops to support the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) as they take the fight to Daesh.
- Britain to deploy more troops to Iraq Press TV 12 Mar 2016 -- Britain said Saturday it would send more troops to Iraq to train Iraqi forces in their fight against the Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 11 Mar 2016 -- Royal Air Force aircraft, flying as part of the global coalition against Daesh, have struck further terrorist targets in support of the Iraqi ground forces.
- £175 million military communications investment creates new jobs UK MOD 10 Mar 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced a new contract to provide enhanced communications kit to the UK Armed Forces.
- UK beats target for training Ukrainian Armed Forces UK MOD 09 Mar 2016 -- The UK has already met the target of training 2,000 members of the Ukrainian Armed Forces (UAF) by the end of the financial year.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 07 Mar 2016 -- Daesh terrorists have again been struck hard by Royal Air Force aircraft over Syria and Iraq.
- Ajax vehicle brings Merthyr Tydfil factory back to life UK MOD 07 Mar 2016 -- A disused forklift truck factory in Wales has been officially opened as a specialist engineering hub for the British Army's next generation of armoured vehicles.
- Britain to Spend Additional $905 Million on Nuclear Submarine Program Sputnik 05 Mar 2016 -- The British Government is going to spend additional $905 million on its nuclear submarine program, media reported.
- Defence Secretary announces £642 million investment in next generation nuclear submarines UK MOD 03 Mar 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has today announced £642 million of investment for the Successor submarine programme.
- Defence Secretary secures progress on Brimstone sales as unmanned aircraft project moves forward UK MOD 03 Mar 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has discussed trade opportunities and joint operations with France during the bi-annual UK-France Defence Summit.
- Tunisia Confirms British Instructors to Train Local Border Guards Sputnik 01 Mar 2016 -- British instructors will arrive in Tunisia to assist in training of local border guards, a spokesman for the Tunisian Defense Ministry told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 01 Mar 2016 -- Royal Air Force aircraft have inflicted further losses on Daesh terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list