Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2016 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK military personnel train Tunisian forces UK MOD 29 Feb 2016 -- UK military personnel are providing mobile patrolling and surveillance training in Tunisia, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- Royal Navy's newest sub test fires torpedo using £50 million UK-made advanced Combat System UK MOD 29 Feb 2016 -- The Royal Navy’s latest and most advanced hunter killer submarine, Artful, has test fired her first torpedo using a new UK designed and built command and control system.
- Covert Affairs: UK 'Commandos' Deployed in Libya to Tackle Daesh Sputnik 28 Feb 2016 -- The United Kingdom has secretly deployed a group of special forces commandos to advise Libya on repelling the Daesh advance, Western officials and sources on the ground told British media.
- UK Unions Set to Take On Labour Party in Split Over Trident Nuclear Program Sputnik 25 Feb 2016 -- Trade union workers are set to take on the leader of the UK Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn over the replacement of the country Trident nuclear deterrent program, Sputnik has been told.
- UK maritime personnel to take part in winter training exercise UK MOD 25 Feb 2016 -- Hundreds of UK maritime personnel will take part in a NATO exercise focused on crisis response over the next fortnight.
- Defence Secretary announces UK support to peacekeeping mission UK MOD 25 Feb 2016 -- UK Armed Forces personnel will support the longstanding multinational peacekeeping mission in Egypt, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 23 Feb 2016 -- Daesh terrorists continue to take serious losses from Royal Air Force strikes in support of Syrian opposition fighters and Iraqi security forces.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 19 Feb 2016 -- Typhoon and Tornado aircraft of the Royal Air Force, operating alongside other nations in the coalition against Daesh, have delivered further precision strikes on terrorists in both Syria and Iraq.
- UK smart missiles killed zero Daesh militants in Syria: Report Press TV 19 Feb 2016 -- Britain's smart Brimstone missiles have not yet killed or wounded any Takfiri Daesh militants in Syria since London began its aerial campaign on the Arab country last year, a report reveals.
- EU Summit Could Clear Way For U.K. Vote On 'Brexit' RFE/RL 18 Feb 2016 -- EU leaders are expected to strike a deal in the next two days to clear the way for British Prime Minister David Cameron to call a U.K. referendum as early as June on continuing membership in the European Union, according to diplomats closely following the negotiations.
- RAF Confirms Intercepted Russian Jets Did Not Enter UK Airspace Sputnik 18 Feb 2016 -- The British Royal Air Force (RAF) confirmed that two Russian jets that were intercepted by UK Typhoon aircraft, on Wednesday, did not enter UK airspace.
- Defence Secretary sees brighter future on Falklands visit UK MOD 17 Feb 2016 -- The Defence Secretary has said there is a real opportunity to build positive relations between the UK, the Falkland Islands and her South American neighbours.
- UK jets scramble to intercept Russian war planes Press TV 17 Feb 2016 -- The British Ministry of Defense has confirmed that RAF Typhoons have been sent to intercept " Russian bombers heading towards UK airspace."
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 15 Feb 2016 -- While diplomatic efforts continue to implement a cease-fire in Syria and the unimpeded delivery of humanitarian aid, RAF aircraft have maintained intensive operations against the Daesh terrorists in both Syria and Iraq.
- 'UK must maintain submarine Trident' Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- The UK must renew its submarine-borne Trident nuclear weapons system if it is to maintain its "outsized" role in the world affairs, said US Defense Secretary Ash Carter.
- US Wants Britain to Renew Its Nuclear Missile System – Ashton Carter Sputnik 13 Feb 2016 -- US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter Wants the UK to renew its Trident nuclear missile system so that Britain can continue its "outsized" hegemonic role in the world.
- Britain to up naval deployment in Baltic to help NATO 'buildup against Russia' Press TV 10 Feb 2016 -- Britain is planning to deploy more ships and troops to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) buildup against Russia.
- UK to step up NATO maritime commitment UK MOD 10 Feb 2016-- The UK will increase its maritime commitment to NATO exercises and activities, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon announced today.
- £200 million funding boost for UK industry carrying out Successor submarine design UK MOD 09 Feb 2016-- The MOD has today announced a £201 million package to support further design work for the Royal Navy's next generation of nuclear submarines.
- UK troops head to Jordan for war game Press TV 08 Feb 2016 -- The British media reported on Monday that the government of Prime Minister David Cameron plans to send more than 1,600 troops to Jordan for a major logistics war game.
- Israeli, US arms companies win UK contract Press TV 02 Feb 2016 -- An Israeli arms company along with an American military contractor have won a $713 million contract to provide aircraft training for the UK military.
- £1.1 billion investment by MOD in future military flying training UK MOD 02 Feb 2016 -- More than a billion pounds is to be invested by the Ministry of Defence to continue the modernisation of military flying training in the UK.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list