October 2015 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK starts construction of Royal Navy base in Bahrain Press TV 31 Oct 2015 -- The UK has started the construction work on a new Royal Navy base in the Persian Gulf state of Bahrain.
- Construction of British Military Base in Persian Gulf Underway in Bahrain Sputnik 31 Oct 2015 -- The foreign ministers of the United Kingdom and Bahrain have laid the cornerstone of Britain's first permanent military base in the former British colony since the 1970s, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported on Saturday.
- UK supports Afghanistan with continued military presence UK MOD 27 Oct 2015 -- The Defence Secretary has announced that the UK will maintain its military presence in Afghanistan, underlining its support to the country.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 26 Oct 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- MOD publishes equipment plan update and welcomes independent report UK MOD 22 Oct 2015 -- The third annual update on the Defence Equipment Plan has been published.
- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon: Keeping Our Future Afloat Campaign UK MOD 21 Oct 2015 -- The Defence Secretary affirmed the Government's commitment to the Successor submarine programme at a reception in the House of Commons today.
- New Docs Reveal UK Snoopers' Bill Will Give Agencies the Power to Hack You Sputnik 21 Oct 2015 -- Further details have finally been revealed on what is included in the British government's controversial Investigatory Powers Bill. According to the Times, MI5, MI6 and GCHQ will be given the authority to hack into smartphones and computers belonging to members of the public.
- UK begins training Iraqi Forces in countering-IEDs UK MOD 19 Oct 2015 -- UK personnel have begun to deliver counter-Improvised Explosive Devices (C-IED) training to members of the Iraqi Security Forces in Iraq.
- UK armoured battle group takes part in Poland exercise UK MOD 19 Oct 2015 -- The UK's Lead Armoured Battle Group (LABG) is currently in action in a Polish-hosted multi-national NATO exercise.
- Minister starts construction of £83 million military logistics site UK MOD 16 Oct 2015 -- Defence Minister Philip Dunne has officially started construction work on the new £83M military logistics centre in Donnington.
- 'Wilson Doctrine offers no protection for MPs' communications' Press TV 14 Oct 2015 -- A tribunal in the UK has said that the MPs have no protection from having their communications read by the security agencies.
- British Court Rules UK Politicians Are Fair Game for GCHQ Spies Sputnik 14 Oct 2015 -- The UK Investigatory Powers Tribunal (IPT) ruled on Wednesday that the long-standing Wilson Doctrine, thought to protect British lawmakers from intelligence interception, had no legal force.
- UK Denies Alleged Policy Allowing to Strike Russian Jets in Middle East Sputnik 13 Oct 2015 -- The British defense ministry put an end to speculation that circulated in the media recently over the ability – and preparedness – of the Royal Air Force to start downing Russian jets in the Middle East.
- UK equipment boost for Jordanian Armed Forces UK MOD 12 Oct 2015 -- The UK will supply military equipment to the Jordanian Armed Forces to help them counter emergent threats on their borders.
- Britain Refutes Media Reports on Permission to Down Russian Jets in Iraq Sputnik 12 Oct 2015 -- The British Defense Ministry rebuffed media allegations that jet pilots of the Royal Air Forces were given the green light to shoot down - if necessary - Russian jets in Iraqi airspace.
- Russia demands UK explanation on 'authorization to shoot down Russian jets' Press TV 11 Oct 2015 -- Russia has demanded an explanation from the UK about media reports that British pilots have been given the permission to attack Russian jets in Iraq.
- UK Military Attache to Clarify Alleged Permission to Down Russian Planes Sputnik 11 Oct 2015 -- UK military attache is expected to clarify media reports of the alleged British leadership decision to enable Royal Air Force pilots participating in anti-ISIL coalition's airstrikes in Iraq to shoot down Russian aircraft, the Russian Defense Ministry press service said in a statement Sunday.
- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon hosts US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter UK MOD 09 Oct 2015 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has hosted a visit by the US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter in London.
- Defence Secretary announces more support in Baltics and Ukraine UK MOD 08 Oct 2015 -- Michael Fallon has announced persistent UK troop deployments to the Baltic states and increased training for the Ukraine Armed Forces.
- Work begins on third Royal Navy Patrol Vessel UK MOD 07 Oct 2015 -- Construction of the final Royal Navy Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) took an important step forward today.
- Britain's Cameron Ready to Use Nuclear Weapons... in Some Circumstances Sputnik 04 Oct 2015 -- UK Prime Minister David Cameron admitted on Sunday that Britain may consider using nuclear weapons in certain circumstances.
- New investment in counter terrorism for UK Armed Forces UK MOD 04 Oct 2015 -- Prime Minister David Cameron announces investment in counter terrorism capabilities for the Armed Forces.
- UK Armed Forces take part in biggest NATO exercise in over 10 years UK MOD 03 Oct 2015 -- UK service personnel are poised to take part in the biggest NATO exercise in more than a decade.
- Defence Secretary visits Oman UK MOD 01 Oct 2015 -- The Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has unveiled plans to look at developing a British presence at Oman's major Duqm port.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|