Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2015 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Defence Secretary views Exercise Pearl Dagger in Bahrain UK MOD 30 Sep 2015 -- The Defence Secretary has visited a Royal Marine exercise and reinforced the UK's commitment to Bahrain and the wider region.
- UK to send troops to Somalia Press TV 28 Sep 2015 -- Britain is to send more than 300 troops to Somalia and possibly South Sudan to train soldiers and boost security in the region, Downing Street said Monday.
- Britain to Launch Peacekeeping Operations in Somalia, South Sudan Sputnik 28 Sep 2015 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron said that London will send peacekeepers to Somalia and South Sudan in order to bring stability to the region.
- Britain To Deploy Peacekeepers to South Sudan, Somalia VOA 28 Sep 2015 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron has announced the deployment of several hundred troops to South Sudan and Somalia to 'shore up stability' in those areas. But aid groups say South Sudan desperately needs other forms of aid.
- Operations against ISIL pass one year mark UK MOD 26 Sep 2015 -- The UK will extend its intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance commitment to Coalition operations in Iraq and Syria.
- NATO to Examine Full Spectrum Deterrence Against Russia By 2016 Sputnik 24 Sep 2015 -- NATO plans to turn to a deterrent strategy towards Russia, including mounting responses to conventional and non-conventional challenges from the country.
- Defence Secretary lays out UK's response to 'information bomb' UK MOD 24 Sep 2015 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon along with his French counterpart Monsieur Le Drian, has opened France's first Cyber Defence Symposium.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 21 Sep 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- UK Ready to Sign $463Mln Deal on Purchase of Missiles for Typhoon Fighters Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- The United Kingdom is to sign a 300-million-pound ($463 million) contract with the European arms company MBDA for the purchase of missiles for its Typhoon fighter jets, the UK Defense Ministry announced Wednesday.
- Royal Navy warship offered to Mediterranean anti-smuggling mission UK MOD 16 Sep 2015 -- HMS Richmond has been offered to boost the EU mission to tackle people smuggling in the Mediterranean, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- MOD to upgrade air-to-air missile UK MOD 16 Sep 2015 -- The Ministry of Defence has awarded a £300m contract to sustain a key air-to-air missile used by RAF Typhoon jets, supporting over 400 jobs across the UK.
- MOD unveils futuristic uniform design UK MOD 16 Sep 2015 -- Sensor-laden body armour, a smart watch that monitors life signs and smart glasses with integrated cameras are all part of a futuristic design for military uniforms, unveiled today.
- Royal Navy's next generation helicopters ready for action UK MOD 15 Sep 2015 -- The Royal Navy's anti-submarine warfare helicopter, the Merlin Mk2, has achieved Full Operating Capability (FOC), on time and under budget.
- RAF transport aircraft ready for worldwide operations UK MOD 15 Sep 2015 -- The Royal Air Force's transport fleet has reached a key milestone with the delivery of the latest Atlas aircraft to RAF Brize Norton.
- RAF Typhoons intercept Russian aircraft near UK airspace UK MOD 11 Sep 2015 -- Royal Air Force Typhoon jets have flown from RAF Lossiemouth to intercept Russian 'Blackjack' aircraft flying in international air space.
- UK fighter jets intercept Russian strategic bombers Press TV 12 Sep 2015 -- British media reports say RAF fighter jets have been scrambled to intercept a couple of supersonic, variable-sweep wing heavy strategic Russian bombers, aka Blackjacks, over the North Sea.
- British Military to Buy Solar-Powered Drones Flying on Edge of Space Sputnik 10 Sep 2015 -- Britain's Ministry of Defense (MoD) will acquire three solar-powered drones that can fly on the edge of space for up to three months, the drone's manufacturer said on Wednesday.
- UK to further boost Pakistan's counter-explosive capability UK MOD 09 Sep 2015 -- The UK will offer Pakistan a package worth nearly £1m to support essential counter-explosive equipment previously gifted to the country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list