Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2015 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 01 Apr 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Argentina Complains to UN Over UK's 'Militarization' of Falklands Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- Argentina appeals to the United Nations and other international organizations to stop Britain's "militarization' of the Falkland Islands.
- China, Britain to strengthen military ties People's Daily 30 Mar 2015 -- China and Britain pledged to strengthen bilateral military ties, as vice chairman of China's Central Military Commission (CMC) Xu Qiliang and visiting British chief of the defence staff Nicolas Houghton met in Beijing on Monday.
- UK launches largest air drills in 30 years Press TV 30 Mar 2015 -- Britain has launched its largest aerial exercises in three decades over "increased Russian presence around UK shores."
- RAF Holds Biggest Drills in 13 Years to Counter 'Russian Attacks' Sputnik 29 Mar 2015 -- British Royal Air Force held first such large-scale air combat exercises in 13 years to prepare for any mass enemy attack on the United Kingdom, including "Russian attacks," The Sunday Times reported.
- RFA Argus honoured as she completes Sierra Leone deployment UK MOD 27 Mar 2015 -- RFA Argus has been honoured by the Defence Secretary as she heads back to the UK after supporting the fight against Ebola.
- UK troops to train moderate Syrian opposition UK MOD 26 Mar 2015 -- The Defence Secretary has announced that the UK will provide military training to Syrian moderate opposition forces.
- Argentina slams UK over military boost in Malvinas Islands Press TV 26 Mar 2015 -- Argentina says Britain's move to boost its military presence in the Malvinas Islands, known as the Falklands to the British, is a "provocation" and pre-election stunt.
- Argentina Slams UK for Using Falklands As Pretext to Boost Defense Budget Sputnik 25 Mar 2015 -- The Argentina Foreign Ministry has criticized the UK over plans to boost its military presence in the Falkland Islands, accusing Britain of using the disputed archipelago as a pretext to bolster defense spending ahead of a May 7 general election.
- Defence plans no longer address new threats House of Commons - Defence Committee 24 Mar 2015 -- The Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR) and the plans to develop the Future Force 2020 no longer reflect the new threats to peace around the world, says the Defence Committee in its report: "Re-thinking Defence to Meet New Threats".
- Lawmakers urge Britain to boost military capabilities Press TV 24 Mar 2015 -- A committee of British lawmakers has called on the central government in London to urgently adopt measures aimed at enhancing the country's defense capabilities abandoned after the Cold War.
- UK Needs to Revise Defense Plans Amid New Threats - Parliamentarians Sputnik 24 Mar 2015 -- The British Parliament Defense Committee on Tuesday called for defense plans in the country to be altered because they no longer address new global threats.
- UK sends military trainers to Ukraine to help in fight against militias Press TV 19 Mar 2015 -- Britain has sent military personnel to Ukraine to help its army fight against pro-Russian militias in the country's volatile east.
- UK to deliver secure communications with new satellite move Gov.uk 17 Mar 2015-- The UK will move one of its communication satellites to the Asia Pacific region for the first time to deliver protected and secure satellite communications services.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 16 Mar 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- Secretary General: UK is staunch NATO Ally NATO 13 Mar 2015 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg took part in the Service of Commemoration in St Paul's Cathedral in London on Friday (13 March 2015) led by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to honour the sacrifice and contribution of the British military and civilians who helped make Afghanistan a more stable country.
- 'UK spies snooping on communications data in bulk' Press TV 12 Mar 2015 -- British lawmakers have, for the first time, acknowledged that the country's spy agencies are snooping on private communication data in bulk.
- Department of Defense Joint Press Conference by Secretary Carter and Secretary of Defence Fallon in the Pentagon Press Briefing Room DoD 11 Mar 2015 -- Presenters: Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter, United Kingdom Secretary of State for Defence Michael Fallon
- Carter: U.S., U.K. Maintain Strong Security Ties AFPS 11 Mar 2015 -- The security ties between the United States and the United Kingdom are enduring and exceptional, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today in a joint news conference with British Defense Secretary Michael C. Fallon.
- Bosom Buddies: Britain Vows to Stand by US, NATO Despite Defence Cuts Sputnik 11 Mar 2015 -- British Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has said that the UK would remain committed to playing a leading role within NATO, together with the US, despite criticism from the United States that the UK is set to undershoot its defence spending target.
- UK submarine industry to benefit from £285m investment in successor programme UK MOD 11 Mar 2015 -- The UK's submarine industry will benefit from £285 million of investment to continue design work for the Royal Navy's next generation of nuclear deterrent submarines.
- UK Foreign Secretary Calls for More Spying Powers Sputnik 10 Mar 2015 -- UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has called for its intelligence agencies MI5, MI6 and GCHQ to be given new powers to combat terrorist threats and military action, while flatly denying they failed to prevent a known suspect - Jihadi John - from joining Islamic State.
- UK sells arms to blacklisted regimes: Report Press TV 09 Mar 2015 -- A UK report has revealed that the Coalition government has approved the sale over £15 million of crowd-control equipment, including tear gas and rubber bullets, to countries included in Britain's own human-rights blacklist.
- UK Foreign Secretary Vows to Protect Baltic States From Russia Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- NATO will protect Baltic nations from Russia, UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond told BBC on Sunday.
- Defence Secretary announces further UK support to Ukrainian Armed Forces UK MOD 06 Mar 2015 -- The Defence Secretary has today confirmed that the UK will provide a new package of non-lethal equipment to the Ukrainian armed forces.
- Safety incidents soar at UK nuke base Iran Press TV 03 Mar 2015 -- A new report has revealed that the number of "nuclear safety events" at UK's Naval Base Clyde, where Britain's Trident nuclear submarines are based, has soared in recent years.
- UK Donates $5 Million to Syrian Civil Defence Sputnik 03 Mar 2015 -- The UK Government is to supply Syria with more than $5 million of civil defence equipment, including personal protective gear such as helmets and goggles, stretchers, medicines and medical supplies, radios, firefighting equipment and 4x4 vehicles.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list