Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2015 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- UK Rules Out Combat Troops in Ukraine Amid Warnings Against Mission Creep Sputnik 25 Feb 2015 -- Britain has ruled out deploying combat troops to Ukraine, a day after it said it was sending 75 military advisers and trainers to help the Ukrainian army, but was under pressure from many politicians against 'mission creep'.
- Cameron: British military advisers to train Ukrainian army Iran Press TV 24 Feb 2015 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron says the UK will send military advisers to Ukraine to provide advice and training to the government troops.
- UK to Send Military Personnel to Ukraine Sputnik 24 Feb 2015 -- British Prime Minister David Cameron has confirmed that the UK will send up to 75 military personnel to Ukraine within the next month to help train local Ukrainian forces.
- PM announces package of non-lethal support to Ukraine UK MOD 24 Feb 2015 -- The Prime Minister has announced today that the UK will provide further non-lethal support to Ukraine by sending advisory and short-term training teams to build the capacity and resilience of its Armed Forces.
- Prime Minister announces major boost to UK economy with £859 million shipbuilding investment UK MOD 20 Feb 2015 -- The Prime Minister has today announced a major boost to the UK's shipbuilding industry as the Ministry of Defence signs a contract with BAE Systems worth £859 million.
- Major investment to boost UK fast jet home in East of England UK MOD 19 Feb 2015 -- More than £300m invested at RAF Marham to help prepare for the arrival of the UK's first F-35B Lightning II
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 19 Feb 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- U.K. Official: Putin A 'Danger' To Baltics As Russian Planes Buzz Britain RFE/RL 19 Feb 2015 -- British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon says Russia poses a 'real and present danger' to Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia and NATO is preparing for possible attacks against the Baltic states.
- UK Government Admits Bugging Lawyer-Client Calls Sputnik 19 Feb 2015 -- The UK Government has dramatically admitted allowing its intelligence agencies to illegally spy on lawyer-client communications and now faces a legal case brought by two victims of an MI6-orchestrated rendition operation.
- South Coast jobs boost with £420m defence contract UK MOD 17 Feb 2015 -- On a visit to Portsmouth, Prime Minister David Cameron has announced significant government investment in the UK's defence capabilities in the region, including a major service support contract that will sustain 450 jobs.
- UK Regulator Denies CIA Torture Report Redacted to Hide Britain's Role Sputnik 11 Feb 2015 -- Britain's security and intelligence services did not seek to cover up their complicity in US mistreatment of terrorist suspects when they asked the US Senate to redact its report on CIA torture practices, a UK regulator said in a Wednesday statement.
- UK's first A400M aircraft named "City of Bristol" UK MOD 09 Feb 2015 -- Royal Air Force has recognised important role Bristol has had with A400M Atlas by naming first aircraft 'City of Bristol'.
- UK F-35 Lightning II testing begins in the US UK MOD 09 Feb 2015 -- 17 Squadron have begun F-35 trials as they mark the start of UK operational testing.
- Britain espionage on people unlawful: UK court Iran Press TV 06 Feb 2015 -- A tribunal in the UK has ruled that Britain has unlawfully spied on its citizens by receiving intelligence from the US National Security Agency (NSA).
- British Intel Agency Found Guilty of Human Rights Breach by Secret Court Sputnik 06 Feb 2015 -- GCHQ's access to the intercepted information, which was originally collected by the US National Security Agency (NSA) was found to be against human rights laws, according to the Investigatory Powers Tribunal (IPT).
- UK to boost military role over Baltics Iran Press TV 05 Feb 2015 -- Britain said on Thursday that it will make a stronger military contribution to NATO to boost the military presence of the multinational alliance in in Eastern Europe.
- UK to Send 1,000 More Troops to Bolster NATO Forces in Eastern Europe Sputnik 05 Feb 2015 -- The United Kingdom will send another 1,000 troops and four RAF Typhoon jets to Eastern Europe to support NATO allies in the Baltics, British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon said Thursday.
- Social Media Frontline: UK Military to Recruit for Propaganda War Sputnik 04 Feb 2015 -- Lay down your guns and pick up your iPhones - that's the new message from the British Defence Force, with the British Army setting up a specialised unit focusing on psychological operations and social media to help fight the information war.
- Bush-Blair Notes Key Reason for Delaying Report Into UK Role in Iraq War Sputnik 04 Feb 2015 -- Sir John Chilcot, who chairs an inquiry into Britain's role in the Iraq War, said Wednesday the publication of the report was significantly delayed over the declassification of conversations between then UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and former US President George W. Bush.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 03 Feb 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- UK to deploy 'extra troops' to Malvinas Islands Iran Press TV 01 Feb 2015 -- Britain is to deploy 300 extra troops to the Malvinas Islands in the South Atlantic, as the disputed territory reaches its highest state of alert in almost 20 years, a report says.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list