Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2014 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Notorious UK spymaster to step down Iran Press TV 26 Jun 2014 -- The head of Britain's MI6 spymaster John Sawers is to step down in November after five years in the job.
- Removal of Syrian chemical weapons UK MOD 25 Jun 2014 -- HMS Diamond has begun the next phase of the operation to destroy chemical weapons materials removed from Syria.
- Defence Secretary visits Middle East partners UK MOD 24 Jun 2014 -- Defence Secretary Philip Hammond is in the Gulf to discuss the threat terrorist group ISIL poses to Iraq and the region as a whole.
- Destroyer deal boosts jobs in Portsmouth UK MOD 23 Jun 2014 -- A £70 million contract to support the Royal Navy's Type 45 destroyers will secure more than 100 engineering jobs.
- Royal Navy's new eyes in the sky UK MOD 22 Jun 2014 -- The Royal Navy's first ever remotely-piloted air system takes flight. Just 7 months after the Ministry of Defence ordered the system from Boeing Defence UK, footage released today, 22 June, shows ScanEagle taking flight from HMS Somerset in the Gulf.
- Closing Camp Bastion UK MOD 19 Jun 2014 -- By the end of this year, the UK's main military base in Afghanistan will have closed. Meet the man who will make it all happen.
- Nuclear forces reduced while modernizations continue, says SIPRI SIPRI 16 Jun 2014 -- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) today launches its annual nuclear forces data, which assesses the current trends and developments in world nuclear arsenals. The data shows that while the overall number of nuclear weapons in the world continues to decline, none of the nuclear weapon-possessing states are prepared to give up their nuclear arsenals for the foreseeable future.
- £48 million jobs boost for Belfast UK MOD 16 Jun 2014 -- More than 60 jobs will be protected thanks to a multi-million-pound contract to produce a new missile for Royal Navy attack helicopters.
- RAF flying high in new Chinook helicopters UK MOD 16 Jun 2014 -- The first of 14 new RAF Chinook helicopters has been unveiled today by the Defence Secretary following their entry into service on time.
- National Audit Office report on Army 2020 UK MOD 11 Jun 2014 -- The National Audit Office has published a report into the progress of Army 2020, the transformation programme for the British Army.
- £111 million of work buoys UK's boat support industry UK MOD 11 Jun 2014 -- The Ministry of Defence has awarded millions of pounds worth of new contracts to maintain its fleet of small boats.
- Armed forces training gets £250 million boost UK MOD 09 Jun 2014 -- A new, state-of-the-art defence training college is to be built in Hampshire.
- UK warship sent to Baltic sea on military drills to reassure allies - report VoR 08 Jun 2014 -- Royal Navy frigate HMS Montrose has been deployed to the Baltic Sea to take part in the annual joint military exercise Baltops, the Daily Telegraph reported Sunday citing UK Defense Secretary Philip Hammond.
- UK drawdown in Afghanistan enters final phase UK MOD 06 Jun 2014 -- The headquarters responsible for UK military logistics in Afghanistan has changed command for the last time.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list