Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2022 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Turkey air force pulls out of NATO's military exercise in Greece set for next month Press TV 30 Apr 2022 -- Turkey will not participate in NATO's annual drills in Greece next month, security sources say, amid a simmering standoff between Ankara and Athens over sea boundaries in the eastern Mediterranean.
- Turkey Refuses to Participate in NATO Drills Over Disagreements With Greece, Reports Say Sputnik 30 Apr 2022 -- The Turkish air force refused to take part in NATO's Tiger Meet exercises in Greece due to disagreements with Athens, the Sabah newspaper reported on Saturday.
- Analysis: Erdogan Hoping Russian Invasion Of Ukraine Can Bolster Turkish Regional Power RFE/RL 30 Apr 2022 -- As it continues its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, Russia finds itself facing growing international isolation, including an expanding list of sanctions.
- Mossad Prevents Assassination Attempt on Israeli Diplomat in Turkey - Reports Sputnik 30 Apr 2022 -- The Israeli intelligence agency Mossad has prevented an alleged Iranian-organized assassination attempt on an Israeli consulate employee in Turkey on Saturday, the Haaretz newspaper reported, citing officials.
- Ankara set to boost ties with Riyadh after top officials meet Press TV 29 Apr 2022 -- A day after visiting Saudi Arabia, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that his government is striving to boost ties with Riyadh.
- Turkish president in Saudi Arabia on first visit since Khashoggi murder Press TV 29 Apr 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has visited Saudi Arabia to mend fences between Ankara and Riyadh after the 2018 killing of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi drove a wedge between the two countries.
- Joint statement on Syria by the Arab League, Egypt, the European Union, France, Germany, Iraq, Jordan, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States Germany Federal Foreign Office 29 Apr 2022 -- Representatives of the Arab League, Egypt, the European Union, France, Germany, Iraq, Jordan, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States met in Paris on April 28 to discuss Syria.
- Greece Blocks Turkey From NATO Air Drill VOA 28 Apr 2022 -- It was billed as a promising breakthrough ‚ÄĒ Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan meeting last month and agreeing to try to resolve their countries' age-old differences, keeping, at least, a lid on tensions as the conflict in Ukraine rages.
- Telephone conversation with President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Russia 28 Apr 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Erdogan Goes to Riyadh to Seal Rapprochement VOA 28 Apr 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan heads to Saudi Arabia Thursday for a two-day visit aimed at easing old tensions between Ankara and Riyadh.
- Turkey: Statement by the High Representative on the conviction of Mr. Osman Kavala European External Action Service (EEAS) 26 Apr 2022 -- On 25 April, Istanbul's 13th High Criminal Court sentenced Mr Osman Kavala, a prominent human rights defender, to life in prison without parole, finding him guilty of attempting to overthrow the government. Seven other defendants were sentenced to 18 years in prison.
- Telephone conversation with President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Russia 26 Apr 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Ankara Rejects Growing Global Criticism over Turkish Philanthropist's Life Sentence VOA 26 Apr 2022 -- Turkey faces growing domestic and international backlash over the conviction of Turkish philanthropist Osman Kavala, who was imprisoned for life without parole on Monday on charges of seeking to overthrow the government. The case, widely condemned as politically motivated, could strain ties with Turkey's Western allies.
- UN chief, Turkish president promise to work for peace in Ukraine People's Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday reaffirmed their commitment to ending the conflict in Ukraine and to creating conditions to end the suffering of civilians, said a UN spokesman.
- Erdogan underlines Istanbul process in talks with Guterres to end Ukraine crisis People's Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday told UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres that all parties should support the Istanbul process for a solution to the crisis between Russia and Ukraine, Turkey's presidency said.
- UN Secretary-General Stops in Ankara on Way to Kyiv, Moscow VOA 25 Apr 2022 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres met with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara on Monday, ahead of planned visits to Ukraine and Russia in efforts to end the Ukrainian conflict.
- Ankara Blasts US Over Double Standards on S-400 Purchases by Turkey, India Sputnik 25 Apr 2022 -- Turkey and Russia penned a $2.5 billion deal in 2017 for the purchase of the advanced Russian-made air defence system. Washington made several attempts to strong-arm Ankara out of the acquisition, booting the country out of the F-35 fighter programme in mid-2019, and slapping sanctions on the Turkish Presidency of Defence Industries in late 2020.
- Turkish Philanthropist Jailed for Life After Widely Criticized Trial VOA 25 Apr 2022 -- A Turkish court sentenced Osman Kavala, a prominent Turkish civil rights activist and philanthropist, to life in prison without parole Monday after convicting him of trying to overthrow the government by financing protests.
- Official: Turkey has 'no agreement, legal basis' for launching operations in northern Iraq Press TV 25 Apr 2022 -- A high-ranking Iraqi official says Turkey's ongoing operation against members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region is not being carried out under any agreement with the Baghdad government.
- Facts about Russia-Ukraine conflict: UN chief to visit Turkey before having talks in Russia, Ukraine People's Daily 25 Apr 2022 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will pay a visit to Turkey on Monday before having talks in Moscow and Kiev as part of efforts to resolve the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. The following are the latest developments:
- UN secretary-general to visit Turkey before having talks in Russia, Ukraine: ministry People's Daily 25 Apr 2022 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres will pay a visit to Turkey on Monday before having talks in Moscow and Kiev as part of efforts to resolve the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
- Turkey Reportedly Building Production Facility For Air, Missile Defence Systems Sputnik 24 Apr 2022 -- Ankara is setting up a test and integration centre to make domestic air and missile defence systems, Turkish news agency Anadolu reported on Sunday.
- Turkey Closes Airspace For Russian Military & Civilian Planes Heading to Syria Sputnik 23 Apr 2022 -- Turkey has closed its airspace to Russian military and civilian planes headed to Syria, as flight permission expired in April, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Saturday.
- Syria denies contact with Turkey on rebuilding ties, calls reports 'fabricated' Press TV 23 Apr 2022 -- Syria has strongly denied any contact with Ankara contrary to claims made by some Turkish officials, asserting that there can be no cooperation in the fight against terrorism with a country that aids and abets terror.
- Turkey's Gezi Park Trial Nears Its End VOA 22 Apr 2022 -- The long-running trial of Turkish activist and philanthropist Osman Kavala nears its end as he and seven other defendants delivered their final defense statements on Friday.
- Ukraine Conflict Offers Turkey Reset With Washington VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- Turkey's robust stance against Russia over its invasion of Ukraine is becoming an impetus to improve relations with the United States, a NATO ally.
- Turkey Not Violating Iraq's Territorial Integrity, Anti-PKK Operation Aimed to Defend Border - FM Sputnik 20 Apr 2022 -- Turkey has no intentions to infringe on Iraq's territorial integrity, and the recently launched anti-terrorist operation is aimed only at ensuring Turkey's border security, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Tuesday.
- Iraq slams Turkey's Kurdistan offensive as threat to national security, summons Ankara's envoy Press TV 19 Apr 2022 -- The Iraqi presidency says the recent cross-border Turkish military operation in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region is a "violation" of the country's sovereignty and a "threat to its national security."
- Baghdad slams Turkish offensive in northern Iraq, says it harms neighborly relations Press TV 19 Apr 2022 -- Baghdad has strongly condemned the Turkish military's latest offensive in Iraq, saying it was in violation of the Arab country's sovereignty, international laws, and neighborly relations.
- Turkish Military Operation in Northern Iraq Threatens Country's National Security, Baghdad Says Sputnik 19 Apr 2022 -- Turkey's operation in northern Iraq poses a threat to the Middle Eastern country's national security, the Iraqi presidential office said on Tuesday.
- Turkey Launches New Offensive Against PKK Rebels in Northern Iraq VOA 19 Apr 2022 -- Turkey announced the start of a new ground and air campaign in northern Iraq Monday, targeting the armed rebels of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
- Turkey launches fresh military operation in northern Iraq to 'prevent terror attacks' Press TV 18 Apr 2022 -- Turkey has launched a new cross-border military operation against purported positions of Kurdish militants in northern Iraq, saying the incursion was aimed to "prevent terror attacks" coming from the neighboring Arab country.
- Turkey Launches New Military Operation in Northern Iraq Against Kurdish PKK Sputnik 18 Apr 2022 -- While fighting the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which is recognised in Turkey as a terrorist organisation, Ankara has in the past conducted cross-border operations in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdish region and northern Syria, where PKK bases are believed to be located.
- Turkish Forces Attack Kurdish Rebel Positions in Iraq VOA 18 Apr 2022 -- Turkish military forces using planes, helicopters and drones attacked Kurdish rebel positions inside northern Iraq, the Turkish Defense Ministry said Monday.
- Turkish Defense Minister Says No Problems Due to Mines Drifting in Black Sea Sputnik 16 Apr 2022 -- The stray naval mines in the Black Sea are not a problem for maritime traffic, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said.
- Talks with neighbors over water rights, dam construction on Iran's agenda, says Iran FM Press TV 11 Apr 2022 -- Iran's foreign minister says the foreign, interior, and energy ministries have formed a joint committee to follow up on the issues related to cross-border rivers and the construction of dams in some neighboring countries, adding that Tehran has held bilateral talks with Turkey, Iraq, and Afghanistan over the issues.
- Ankara Investigating Drifting Mines in Black Sea Sputnik 10 Apr 2022 -- Turkey has launched a probe into drifting mines in the Black Sea, but cannot say how many of them there are, Turkish Defen—Āe Minister Hulusi Akar said on Sunday.
- Russia 'upset' with Turkey over drones sales to Ukraine, lodges complaint Press TV 10 Apr 2022 -- Russia has lodged a complaint with Ankara over its sale of armed drones to Ukraine as Moscow's military operation in the former Soviet republic enters its seventh week.
- Amid Russia-Ukraine War, Turkey Worries About Floating Mines in Black Sea VOA 08 Apr 2022 -- As Turkish military dive teams this week safely defused their third floating naval mine in Turkish waters since March 26, some maritime experts said the explosives still pose a threat to Istanbul's Bosphorus Strait.
- Turkish Gov't Welcomes Apparent US State Dept Green Light For F-16 Deal Sputnik 08 Apr 2022 -- The US State Department sent a letter to Congress indicating Turkey's long-delayed plan to purchase US-manufactured F-35 fighter jets could finally bear fruit-just not quite the fruit the Turkish government had hoped for.
- Jamal Khashoggi's Fiancee Vows to Seek Justice After Court Setback VOA 07 Apr 2022 -- The fiancee of slain Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi vowed Thursday to keep fighting for justice.
- Turkish court halts Khashoggi murder trial, transfers case to to Saudi Arabia Press TV 07 Apr 2022 -- A Turkish court has halted the trial of Saudi suspects over the gruesome killing of prominent dissident and journalist Jamal Khashoggi and approved transfer of the case to Saudi Arabia, a decision that has drawn condemnation from rights groups.
- Turkish Court Suspends Trial of Saudi Suspects in Khashoggi Killing VOA 07 Apr 2022 -- A Turkish court has ended a case against Saudi defendants accused of murdering prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Rights groups have condemned the action, which Ankara took as it seeks to repair diplomatic ties with Riyadh.
- Report: Turkey weighs possibility of starting talks with Syria Press TV 05 Apr 2022 -- Turkish media say Ankara is evaluating the possibility of starting talks with the Syrian government and that discussions are underway for new relations to be built between the two neighbors.
- U.S.-Turkey Joint Statement on the Strategic Mechanism US Dept. of State 04 Apr 2022 -- The following is the text of a joint statement released by the Governments of the United States and Turkey.
- Putin, Erdogan discuss Ukraine issue over phone People's Daily 02 Apr 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday held a phone conversation with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, during which they discussed the situation in Ukraine.
- Turkey may host Russian, Ukrainian FMs again People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- Turkey may host Ukrainian and Russian foreign ministers for peace talks within two weeks, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Thursday.
- Turkey welcomes guarantor role for Russia-Ukraine peace deal: Turkish president People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- Ankara welcomes the proposal of being one of the guarantor countries in terms of the security of Ukraine, Turkish media reported on Thursday, quoting Turkey's president as saying.
- Telephone conversation with President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Russia 01 Apr 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Erdogan, Zelensky discuss Ukraine crisis over phone People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky discussed the latest development in the Ukraine crisis over the phone on Thursday, the Turkish presidential office said.
- Zelensky says Turkey ready to become guarantor of Ukraine's security People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tweeted on Thursday he had discussed steps toward peace in Ukraine with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list