Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2021 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Erdogan Reveals Why Turkey Bought Russia's S-400 Missile Systems Instead of American Patriots Sputnik 30 Sep 2021 -- Ankara's 2017 decision to pen a $2.5 billion contract with Moscow on the purchase of Russia's most advanced road-mobile missile-based air defense system sparked the ire of its allies in NATO, and eventually prompted Washington to boot Turkey out of the F-35 fighter programme and slap sanctions on the country's military industry.
- Turkey's purchase of Russian S-400 systems worth tensions with US: Erdogan Press TV 30 Sep 2021 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has defended Turkey's right to strengthen its defense capabilities, saying the decision to purchase the Russian S-400 missile defense systems was worth the tensions with Washington.
- Putin hosts Turkey's President Erdogan in Sochi Press TV 29 Sep 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has hosted his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, where the two leaders discussed regional issues as well as Ankara's acquisition of Russian S-400 missile defense systems.
- Putin Hails 'Compromises' With Erdogan At Sochi Talks RFE/RL 29 Sep 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has hosted his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, for what was considered the most consequential meeting between the two leaders in years.
- Syria will continue fight against terrorism, work to end foreign occupation: Mikdad Press TV 27 Sep 2021 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad has lashed out at the United States and Turkey for occupying territories in the Arab country, calling on Washington and Ankara to withdraw their forces and stop "plundering" the country's wealth.
- Turkey's Erdogan Signals Willingness To Buy More Russian Missiles RFE/RL 26 Sep 2021 -- Turkey's president has signaled that he is considering buying more sophisticated Russian antiaircraft missile systems, a move that would further irk Washington.
- Erdogan says Turkey to proceed with acquiring Russia's S-400 defense system Press TV 25 Sep 2021 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will proceed with purchasing the Russian S-400 missile defense systems, despite implacable opposition by Washington to Ankara's acquisition of the advanced air defense units.
- Cyprus President determined to get negotiation with Turkey process back on track UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades told UN Member States on Friday that he is determined "to set the negotiation process" with Turkey "back on track", on the basis of the UN framework and the agreement reached in 2019.
- Erdogan Says Work With Biden Has Seen a 'Not Very Good Start' Sputnik 23 Sep 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that work with his US counterpart, Joe Biden after the latter's inauguration had seen "not a very good start."
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Meeting with Ibrahim Kalin, Spokesperson and Chief Advisor to the President of Turkey The White House 22 Sep 2021
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister ├çavu┼čo─člu US Dept. of State 21 Sep 2021
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and Turkish Foreign Minister Mevl├╝t ├çavu┼čo─člu Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 21 Sep 2021
- Uyghur Exile Group Leader Turned Back Trying to Enter Turkey Radio Free Asia 20 Sep 2021 -- Dolkun Isa, the president of the Munich-based (WUC) exile group, has been turned away at the airport in the Turkish capital Ankara and flown back to Germany Monday, two weeks after he learned that a travel ban against him had been lifted, he and his lawyer said.
- Syria condemns Turkish military aggression, stresses right to respond Press TV 20 Sep 2021 -- The Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has strongly condemned the Turkish military's ongoing operations in the northern part of the country, stressing that the offensives are in blatant violation of the Arab nation's sovereignty and independence.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meetings with Turkish Deputy Foreign Minister ├ľnal US Dept. of State 17 Sep 2021
- Designation of Al-Qa'ida Supporters US Dept. of State 16 Sep 2021 -- The United States remains committed to combatting al-Qa'ida and other terrorist groups around the world, including by countering their financing.
- Treasury Designates al-Qa'ida Financial Network in Turkey US Treasury 16 Sep 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury imposed sanctions against five al-Qa'ida supporters operating in Turkey who provided a range of financial and travel facilitation services to al-Qa'ida. These designations are being taken pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, as amended. On September 23, 2001, the President signed E.O. 13224, which designated al-Qa'ida under its authorities.
- US Sanctions al-Qaida Supporters Working From Turkey VOA 16 Sep 2021 -- The U.S. Treasury Department sanctioned five al-Qaida supporters for allegedly helping the militant group with financial assistance.
- Directorate leads KC-135 upgrade for Turkish Air Force US Air Force 14 Sep 2021 -- The first of seven Turkish KC-135R Stratotanker aircraft recently returned to Turkey after receiving a major flight deck upgrade at Field Aerospace, Oklahoma City.
- Christians Concerned About Turkish Attacks in Northeast Syria VOA 14 Sep 2021 -- Syrian Christian leaders are expressing concerns over escalating Turkish attacks in northeast Syria, saying the recent military activity has driven many Christians and members of other minority groups from their homes.
- Turkey Resists Pressure to Take Afghan Refugees, Calls for Global Response VOA 14 Sep 2021 -- Turkey is calling for collective international action to deal with the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan. The call comes as Turkey, already hosting the largest number of refugees globally, warns it cannot take any more.
- Azerbaijan To Host Special Forces From Turkey, Pakistan In Drills RFE/RL 11 Sep 2021 -- Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry has said that Baku will host joint military drills in the days ahead with troops from Turkey and Pakistan -- the first such drills involving the three countries.
- US, Turkey must end Syria occupation, respect its national sovereignty: FM Mikdad Press TV 11 Sep 2021 -- Syrian Foreign and Expatriates Minister Faisal Mikdad says Damascus opposes any foreign interference in its domestic affairs, urging the United States and Turkey to end their occupation of the Arab country's territories and their violations of its sovereignty.
- Turkey's Erdogan Voices Caution Over New Afghan Government VOA 08 Sep 2021 -- Turkey is voicing caution over Afghanistan's interim government as it continues talks with the Taliban on restarting air traffic at the Kabul airport.
- Syria rejects Cavusoglu's claim about talks with Turkey on security issues Press TV 07 Sep 2021 -- Syria has dismissed the Turkish foreign minister's comments about communications with the Damascus government on security issues, calling Ankara the "main sponsor" of terror groups wreaking havoc on the neighboring Arab country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list