Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2020 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Russia says agreed with Turkey to reduce tensions in Syria's Idlib Press TV 29 Feb 2020 -- Russia says it has agreed with Turkey to ease tensions in Syria's embattled Idlib province, the last major terrorist stronghold in the war-torn country.
- Syria: Turkey using observation posts to back terrorists Press TV 29 Feb 2020 -- Syria's ambassador to the United Nations tells an emergency UN Security Council meeting that Turkey uses the observation posts it has set up in the Arab country's northwest to level support for terrorists.
- Putin, Erdogan Look To Ease Soaring Tensions After Deadly Syrian Air Strike RFE/RL 29 Feb 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have held crisis talks amid rising tensions after 33 Turkish soldiers died in an air strike by Moscow-backed Syrian government warplanes.
- Statement by the Secretary General after Article 4 consultations NATO 28 Feb 2020
- Press point by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg following the North Atlantic Council meeting at Turkey's request for Article 4 consultations on the situation in Syria NATO 28 Feb 2020
- Greece tightens border control after Turkey opens gates Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- Greece has tightened control on the border with Turkey following a decision by Ankara to stop preventing the flow of refugees into Europe and amid fears of a new coronavirus spread.
- Syrian state media: Turkish-backed militants hit hard in Idlib Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- Syrian forces have dealt stinging blows to Turkish-backed Takfiri militants in the southern environs of the northwestern province of Idlib as tensions in the conflict between Ankara and Damascus have soared to a dramatic level after dozens of Turkish troops were killed in air raids in the region.
- Russia says Turkish troops killed among terrorists, warns against op Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- A senior Russian lawmaker has warned that a full-scale Turkish operation in Syria will end badly for Ankara after Russia's Defense Ministry said Turkish soldiers killed in Syria were targeted after being deployed alongside terrorists.
- In Call With Erdogan, Trump 'Reaffirms' Support For Turkey In Syria's Idlib RFE/RL 28 Feb 2020 -- President Donald Trump has "reaffirmed" U.S. support for Turkey in a phone call with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan while urging President Bashar al-Assad's regime, Russia, and Iran to halt their offensive in Syria's northwestern Idlib Province -- the last rebel-held area in northwestern Syria -- the White House said on February 28.
- Turkey Retaliates Against Syrian Forces After 33 Of Its Soldiers Killed In Air Strikes RFE/RL 28 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says at least 33 of its soldiers have been killed in an air strike by Russia-backed Syrian government forces in northwestern Syria, rising tensions between Ankara and Damascus ally Moscow.
- 'Mayhem' in Syria's Idlib amid ongoing violence, as Guterres urges immediate ceasefire UN News 28 Feb 2020 -- Rapidly escalating conflict in northwest Syria has created healthcare "mayhem", amid reports of displaced people moving closer to the Turkish border in search of shelter, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday, as the UN Secretary-General appealed for all warring parties to "step back from the edge of further escalation."
- Syria: UN urges Russia and Turkey to secure 'fresh ceasefire' as risk of military escalation grows UN News 28 Feb 2020 -- With the Security Council meeting in emergency session on Syria following the death on the battlefield of dozens of Turkish troops, the UN strongly urged Russia and Turkey on Friday "to build on previous agreements to secure a fresh ceasefire" across the war-torn northwest.
- Russia, Turkey Are on the Edge in Syria VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Tensions between Russia and Turkey over their sometimes allied and often dueling military campaigns in Syria broke into the open Friday, with Moscow blaming Ankara for the deaths of 33 Turkish troops in Syria's Idlib region during airstrikes.
- Turkish, Russian Leaders Talk as Fighting Continues in Syria VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Fears of an escalating conflict in Syria grew Friday as Turkish forces pounded Syria's military in retaliation for the killing of 33 Turkish soldiers. Meanwhile, Russia's and Turkey's presidents spoke, as Ankara threatens to launch even more assaults on Russian-backed Syrian forces.
- Syria's Idlib Remains Explosive After Deadly Attack on Turkish Troops VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- The situation in Syria's rebel-controlled Idlib region remains explosive, following the killing there of more than 30 Turkish soldiers in an airstrike by Russia-backed Syrian government forces. Bracing against possible Turkish countermeasures, Russia is moving two warships toward the eastern Mediterranean.
- Turkey Calls for World Powers to Impose No-Fly Zone in Syria VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Turkey called on the international community Friday to impose a no-fly zone in Syria to protect hundreds of thousands of civilians from airstrikes by government forces in the Idlib region.
- 34 Turkish troops killed in Syria's Idlib as govt. forces continue gains Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Dozens of Turkish soldiers have reportedly been killed in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib as Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, continue to score territorial gains in battles against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in their last major bastion in the country.
- Turkish military firing at Russian, Syrian military planes in Idlib: Military source Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Turkish military forces are using shoulder-fired missiles to shoot down Russian and Syrian military aircraft in Syria's embattled northwestern province of Idlib as heavy fighting continues in the area, a military source says.
- Turkey says 2 soldiers killed in Syrian airstrike in Idlib Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says two of its army soldiers have been killed in an airstrike launched by the Syrian army in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, the last militant bastion in a nine-year war.
- Fighting Escalates in Idlib Ahead of Ankara Ultimatum VOA 27 Feb 2020 -- Fighting in Syria's Idlib province is escalating with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claiming rebels backed by Turkish troops have recaptured a strategic town from Damascus forces.
- Russia says Turkey helping foreign militants enter Libya Press TV 26 Feb 2020 -- Russia says Turkey is helping foreign militants cross into Libya, where rebel forces are attempting to unseat the internationally-recognized government.
- Erdogan Confirms First Turkish Soldier Deaths in Libya VOA 25 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed Tuesday the deaths of two Turkish soldiers in Libya, where Ankara has military forces in support of the internationally-backed government in Tripoli. Word of the losses comes as the Turkish opposition steps up pressure against Erdogan's Libya policy.
- Several Turkish forces killed in Syrian-Russian strikes in Idlib: SOHR Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- At least 10 Turkish army soldiers have reportedly been killed or injured following joint airstrikes launched by the Syrian and Russian air forces in Syria's embattled northwestern province of Idlib.
- Turkish Casualties Rise in Syria, but Ankara Wary of Confronting Russia VOA 24 Feb 2020 -- Turkish forces have suffered more casualties in the latest round of fighting in Syria's northwestern Idlib province. But despite Russia backing Syrian government forces in the ongoing attacks on Turkish forces, Ankara has refrained from confronting Moscow – a sign, analysts suggest, of the considerable economic leverage Russia retains over Turkey.
- Russia Denies Its Air Forces Hit Villages of Kansafra and Al-Bara in Idlib Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- The London based monitor claimed on Monday that air strikes by the Russian Air Force resulted in the deaths of five civilians.
- Russian, Turkish defense ministers discuss situation in Syria's Idlib People's Daily 23 Feb 2020 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu discussed the situation in the Syrian city of Idlib with his Turkish counterpart Hulusi Akar during a phone conversation, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement Saturday.
- At least 16 Turkish soldiers killed in fighting in Libya: Haftar forces Press TV 23 Feb 2020 -- Forces loyal to Libyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar say they have killed 16 Turkish soldiers in recent weeks amid ongoing violence in the North African country.
- Erdogan announces 4-way summit on Syria's Idlib Press TV 22 Feb 2020 -- Turkey's president says his country is to join a quadrilateral meeting with Russia, Germany, and France to address the situation in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, where Damascus' anti-terror advances have posed a threat to the Turkish military presence.
- 'Russia, Turkey to intensify consultations on Syria's Idlib' Press TV 22 Feb 2020 -- The Russian and Turkish heads of state agree during a phone call to step up their bilateral consultations concerning the situation in the terrorists-infested northwestern Syrian province of Idlib.
- Russia says Turkey sends large amounts of ammo to Syria's Idlib ahead of large-scale op Press TV 21 Feb 2020 -- Russia says Turkey has sent large amounts of ammunition and armored vehicles into Syria's Idlib province, apparently in preparation for its anticipated large-scale operation in the Arab country.
- Kremlin Scrambles to Avoid Open Conflict With Turkey VOA 21 Feb 2020 -- The Kremlin was scrambling Friday to reach a stopgap agreement with Ankara to halt fighting in northwest Syria amid growing fears that Russia and Turkey are on the brink of open warfare.
- Turkey confirms presence of allied Syria mercenaries in Libya Press TV 21 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has confirmed for the first time the presence of pro-Turkish Syrian militants in Libya.
- Haftar says any ceasefire depends on Turkey's withdrawal from Libya Press TV 21 Feb 2020 -- Libya's self-styled commander Khalifa Haftar says he would be ready for a ceasefire, on condition that Turkish forces leave the country and Ankara stops providing the country's UN-recognized government with weapons.
- Russia-backed Syrian troops repel attacks of Turkey-supported militants: Russian military People's Daily 21 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government troops covered by Russian warplanes on Thursday repelled several massive attacks of militants supported by Turkey in Syria's Idlib, according to the Russian military.
- Russia urges Turkey to halt support of 'terrorists' in Syria's flashpoint Idlib province Press TV 20 Feb 2020 -- Russia has called on Turkey to stop "supporting terrorists" in northern Syria, as Russian warplanes conducted airstrikes against targets of Turkey-backed militants and Syrian army troops repelled an attack by terror outfits in flashpoint Idlib province.
- Russian Air Strikes In Syria Kill Two Turkish Troops, Prompting Retaliation RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has said two of its soldiers were killed and another five were wounded in Russian air strikes near the northwestern region of Idlib in Syria on February 20, signifying an escalation in the civil war in which Ankara and Moscow support opposing sides.
- Turkey's Erdogan 'Determined to Transform Idlib Into a Safe Place' VOA 20 Feb 2020 -- Less than a day after Russian warplanes continued their bombing campaign in northwest Syria, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told his party's parliamentary group in Ankara Wednesday that he is "is determined to transform Idlib into a safe place at any cost for the sake of both Turkey and the region's people."
- Turkish Soldiers' Deaths Ramp Up Tensions With Moscow VOA 20 Feb 2020 -- Tensions between Turkey and Russia escalated Thursday with the killing of the two Turkish soldiers in a Syrian airstrike. Moscow, which backs the Damascus government, accused Ankara of supporting terrorists in Syria.
- UN envoy urges Turkey, Russia to de-escalate situation in Syria's Idlib Press TV 19 Feb 2020 -- UN Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen has called on Moscow and Ankara to de-escalate the situation in the Arab country's Idlib province after the Turkish president threatened "imminent" operation in the last stronghold of terrorists in northern Syria.
- Turkey's Erdogan threatens 'imminent' Syria operation, sparks Russian warning Press TV 19 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has threatened to launch an "imminent" operation in Syria's Idlib Province if Damascus fails to withdraw behind Ankara's military positions, sparking a warning from Russia.
- Erdogan Says Talks With Russia Unsatisfactory, Turkish Offensive 'Matter Of Time' RFE/RL 19 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned that a military operation in the northwestern Syrian region of Idlib was a "matter of time" if President Bashar al-Assad's forces fail to withdraw behind Turkish military positions - prompting criticism from Moscow.
- Turkey issues arrest warrants for some 700 people over 'Gulen ties' Press TV 18 Feb 2020 -- Turkish prosecutors have issued arrest warrants for nearly 700 people, including military and Justice Ministry personnel, over suspected links to the US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara blames for an attempted coup in 2016.
- Turkey Deploys 300 Military Vehicles to Idlib Amid Conflict With Syria - Reports Sputnik 18 Feb 2020 -- The situation in northern Syria remains tense since Damascus clashed with Ankara-backed militants, and later with the Turkish Army, as both sides accuse each other of breaking a ceasefire agreement.
- Libya rebels claim to have 'destroyed' Turkish cargo ship in Tripoli Press TV 18 Feb 2020 -- Armed rebels under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar in Libya claim they have destroyed a Turkish cargo ship carrying ammunition and weapons at the port of Tripoli.
- Turkey Denies Destruction of Its Vessel in Port of Tripoli Sputnik 18 Feb 2020 -- Ankara previously deployed military advisors and instructors to Libya to support the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) against the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Khalifa Haftar.
- Turkey beefs up military presence in Syria amid Russia spat Press TV 18 Feb 2020 -- Turkey significantly beefs up its military presence in northwestern Syria amid continued disagreement with Russia over Damascus' counterterrorism operations in the area.
- Russian, Turkish Military Conduct Patrol in Syria's Hasakah Province Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- The Russian military police are continuing to patrol the Syrian-Turkish border at several routes in the provinces of Aleppo, Hasakah and Raqqa, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's centre for Syria reconciliation, Rear Admiral Oleg Zhuravlev said on Monday.
- Libya's LNA-Backed Interim Government Accuses Turkey of Aggression and 'Seeking to Conquer Country' Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- Ankara has accused Libyan National Army Commander Khalifa Haftar of violating the Libyan ceasefire, and has deployed troops and mercenaries to the country to shore up the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord.
- Turkey says 5 soldiers killed as Syrian army advances in Idlib Press TV 10 Feb 2020 -- Five Turkish soldiers have been killed in an attack by advancing Syrian government forces against a Turkish military post in northwest Syria, Turkey's Defense Ministry says.
- Turkish Troops Killed In Attack In Northwest Syria RFE/RL 10 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says five of its soldiers have been killed and five others wounded as a result of shelling by Syrian government forces in Syria's northern province of Idlib.
- Turkish Soldiers Killed in Syria as Tensions with Damascus Escalate VOA 10 Feb 2020 -- Turkish and Syrian forces engaged in a deadly clash Monday in Syria's northwestern Idlib province. The latest escalation in fighting comes as Ankara continues to reinforce its troops in Idlib, while Russian-Turkish diplomatic efforts to end the violence remain deadlocked.
- Turkey warns of 'Plan B' amid Syria's anti-terror operation in Idlib Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it will change tack in northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, where an intensified anti-terror operation is underway by Syrian army against foreign-backed militant outfits, if the deal reached with Russia is violated.
- Turkish forces build military base in Syria's Idlib as govt. forces advance: Report Press TV 08 Feb 2020 -- Turkish military forces have reportedly constructed a base in Syria's embattled northwestern province of Idlib, and a Turkish army convoy consisting of dozens of military vehicles, troop carriers, tanks and soldiers has arrived at the installation.
- Turkey reinforces outposts in Syria's Idlib: Report Press TV 07 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has sent nearly 150 vehicles with commandos and ammunition to bolster its observation outposts in Idlib, where an intensified offensive is underway by the Syrian army forces against foreign-backed militant outfits
- Russian Defence Ministry Says Turkey Skipped Joint Patrol With Russian Forces in Syria Sputnik 07 Feb 2020 -- Units of the Russian military police carried out a patrol in Syria's northeastern Hasakah province on Thursday on their own, as their Turkish counterparts failed to arrive at the mission starting point, Major General Yuri Borenkov, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Reconciliation Centre in Syria, said.
- Turkey military convoy enters Idlib to protect terrorists, impede Syrian forces advance: Army Press TV 06 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian army says a Turkish military convoy has passed into Syria to protect foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists and impede army advances in the country's northwestern province of Idlib simultaneously with the recent Israeli air aggression against the Arab country.
- Turkey Expects Russia To Immediately Stop Syrian Regime Attacks In Idlib RFE/RL 06 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it expects Moscow to put an end to the Syrian government forces' attacks in the northwestern province of Idlib immediately.
- In Kyiv, Erdogan Said All The Right Things -- Unless You're A Turkish Dissident In Ukraine RFE/RL 05 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said all the things Ukraine wanted to hear when he visited Kyiv this week, and media outlets in both countries rewarded him with glowing coverage.
- Ankara Urges Brussels Not To Separate Turkey From Western Balkans In Accession Talks RFE/RL 05 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has urged the European Union to remove "the artificial division" between the Western Balkans and Turkey in the bloc's enlargement policy and slammed Brussels' treatment of Ankara in a letter seen by RFE/RL.
- Erdogan Sets Date for Production of Turkish 5-Gen Jets Amid F-35 Row With US Sputnik 05 Feb 2020 -- Turkey will begin producing its own five-generation fighter jets by the year 2033, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday.
- US Scrapped Secret Drone Intel Program With Ankara Over Turkey's Syria Invasion - Reports Sputnik 05 Feb 2020 -- In October, Turkey launched an abortive invasion of northern Syria, attacking positions held by US-backed Syrian Kurdish forces that Ankara has claimed are linked to Turkish Kurdish militants waging a decades-long insurgency in south-eastern Turkey.
- Erdogan Threatens Response to Syrian Gov't Troops if They Fail to Exit From Turkish Posts in Idlib Sputnik 05 Feb 2020 -- On Monday, Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan described the current developments in the Syrian province of Idlib as "unmanageable", adding that about one million refugees from the province have started moving north, towards the Turkish border.
- Erdogan Issues Ultimatum to Damascus on Idlib VOA 05 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has issued an ultimatum to Damascus warning of military action if the Syrian government does not withdraw its armed forces from Turkey's observation posts in Syria's Idlib province. Erdogan's threat is the latest ratcheting up of tensions following Monday's killing of Turkish soldiers by Syrian forces.
- Turkish-Russian Tension Over Syria Opens Door to Washington VOA 04 Feb 2020 -- Questions about the future of Turkey's rapprochement with Russia are growing as fallout continues from Monday's killing of at least five Turkish soldiers by Russia-backed Syrian government forces.
- Turkey takes up its Syria accusations with Russia Press TV 04 Feb 2020 -- Turkey accuses the Syrian military of targeting its observation posts in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, claiming it is up to Russia to "stop" Damascus.
- Erdogan, Putin Discuss Recent Attack on Turkish Military in Syria's Idlib Over Phone Sputnik 04 Feb 2020 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry said on Monday that five Turkish military officers and a civilian staffer had been killed in an attack by the Syrian army in the province of Idlib.
- Zelenskiy, Erdogan Meet In Push To Boost Trade Between Turkey, Ukraine RFE/RL 03 Feb 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has met with his Turkish counterpart in Kyiv for talks expected to focus on trade.
- We will not hesitate to take actions against any threat: Turkey to Syria Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it will not hesitate to act against Syrian forces pressing ahead with a counterterrorism offensive to liberate the last major terrorist-held territory in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib.
- Contradictory reports as Turkey claims bombing Syrian troops Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it launched airstrikes against Syrian troops advancing in the last terrorist bastion in Idlib, with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claiming the raids were in response to attacks on Turkish forces.
- Kremlin Says Putin-Erdogan Talks Can Be Arranged After Turkish Strikes In Syria RFE/RL 03 Feb 2020 -- The Kremlin says talks between President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan can be arranged if "necessary" after Turkish forces killed dozens of Russian-backed Syrian government troops.
- Turkey Hits Syrian Government Forces in Escalating Violence Over Idlib VOA 03 Feb 2020 -- Turkish forces using artillery and jets hit Syrian government military targets across Syria's Idlib province Monday. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the offensive was in retaliation for a deadly attack by Damascus on Turkish soldiers.
- Turkey dispatches large military convoy to Syria's Idlib province: Observatory Press TV 02 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has reportedly brought in a new column of military forces and hardware to be deployed in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, only two days after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey may launch a military operation there if the ongoing offensive by Syrian government forces against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants continues.
- Turkey may launch Syria offensive if Idlib attacks continue: Erdogan Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey may launch a military operation in Idlib if the ongoing offensive by Syrian government forces against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants continues there.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list