Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2020 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- France condemns Turkey for 'violating Berlin agreement on Libya' Press TV 30 Jan 2020 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has lambasted his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, for sending warships and "mercenaries" to crisis-hit Libya, stressing that Ankara is breaching an agreement reached at a summit in Berlin earlier this month to halt foreign interference in the North African country.
- Erdogan: Trump's plan for Mideast unacceptable IRNA 29 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan rejected his US counterpart Donald Trump's plan for the Middle East, saying that the plan is absolutely unacceptable.
- Turkey's Erdogan Says Russia 'Not Honoring' Syria Deals RFE/RL 29 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey is losing patience with the military assault in Syria's Idlib Province, the opposition's last stronghold, and accuses Russia of "not honoring" agreements aimed at stemming the violence there.
- Erdogan Warns Moscow on Idlib Amid Fears of Refugee Exodus VOA 29 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a rare warning to Moscow to rein in the Syrian government's Idlib offensive. The capture of a critical town Wednesday by regime forces is stoking fears in Ankara of a new exodus of refugees into Turkey.
- France's Macron Accuses Erdogan of Failing to 'Keep His Word' on Libya Sputnik 29 Jan 2020 -- France has been a major critic of Ankara's move to deploy troops to Libya in recent weeks, calling for "the greatest restraint" to avoid escalating the decade-old conflict.
- Turkey Will Respond If Syrian Army Endangers Idlib Observation Posts – Defence Ministry Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- Ankara will take decisive retaliatory measures should the Syrian Arab Army threaten its observation posts in the Syrian province of Idlib amid an uptick in violence in the region, Turkey's Ministry of National Defence said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Greece Rebuffs Turkish Demands to Demilitarize Aegean Islands VOA 27 Jan 2020 -- Greece is pushing back against Turkish demands that it demilitarize 16 Aegean islands. The Turkish government maintains it is defending Turkey's rights and remains committed to negotiation, but analysts warn Turkey's increasingly "robust diplomacy" threatens to isolate Ankara and escalate regional tensions.
- Haftar unlikely to respect Libya truce: Turkey's Erdogan Press TV 26 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says eastern Libya's renegade military commander, Khalifa Haftar, couldn't be expected to respect a ceasefire called between his forces and pro-government troops in Libya.
- Erdogan Accuses Haftar of Violating Ceasefire Agreement in Libya Sputnik 26 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar of the Libyan National Army continued to violate the ceasefire regime established in Libya.
- Libyan crisis can affect entire Mediterranean region: Erdogan Press TV 24 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned that chaos in Libya will affect the entire Mediterranean region if peace is not established as soon as possible.
- Erdogan Says 'Syrian Mistake' Should Not Be Repeated in Libya, Calls for Pressure on Haftar Sputnik 24 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday voiced concerns over Libya repeating Syria's fate and called on the international community to increase pressure on Khalifa Haftar, the Libyan National Army (LNA) commander, who is involved in the military conflict in the country.
- Erdogan Looks to Diplomacy Amid Concerns About Military Deployment in Libya VOA 24 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is accusing Libyan militia leader General Khalifa Haftar of violating a cease-fire agreement. Despite deploying Turkish forces to back the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), though, Erdogan seems to be increasingly looking to diplomacy rather than force.
- Russian S-400 compatible with NATO's security system, says Turkish foreign minister Press TV 23 Jan 2020 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu seeks to assuage NATO' concerns about Ankara's purchase of advanced Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems, saying the military hardware is compatible with the alliance's security systems.
- Ankara Participates in NATO Naval Drill With European Allies - Defence Ministry Sputnik 21 Jan 2020 -- Turkey is participating in the Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 naval exercise in the eastern Mediterranean together with Italy, Germany, and Greece, the country's Defence Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Libya's Haftar must choose political over military solution: Turkey Press TV 21 Jan 2020 -- Turkey says Khalifa Haftar, the commander of rebel militia in Libya, must submit to international calls for a political solution to the persisting armed conflict in the North African country.
- Turkey Says GNA Forces Training is Legitimate and Will Continue Sputnik 21 Jan 2020 -- On Monday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated that there were not any Turkish troops in Libya yet, only Turkish military advisers and instructors.
- Erdogan: Ankara not sending troops to Libya, only advisers, trainers Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara has not yet sent troops to war-torn Libya to support its UN-recognized government, stressing that his country has only deployed military advisers and trainers there so far.
- Turkey Rejects EU Coordination in Libyan Peace Process – Erdogan Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Turkey does not want the European Union to coordinate the Libyan peace process, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday, adding that there is the United Nations to play that role.
- Cyprus Dubs Turkey 'Pirate State' as Mediterranean Gas Drilling Dispute Simmers Sputnik 20 Jan 2020 -- Turkey resumed gas exploration drilling in the Mediterranean Sea off Cyprus's coast last week amid overlapping claims between Nicosia and the Turkish-backed de facto state of Northern Cyprus regarding the extent of their maritime economic zones.
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu US Dept. of State 19 Jan 2020
- Car Bomb Targets Turkish Engineers Outside Mogadishu VOA 19 Jan 2020 -- - At least three people were killed and more than 20 others, including Turkish nationals, were wounded when a car bomb targeting foreign nationals exploded Saturday in the town of Afgoye, 30 kilometers outside of Somalia's capital, Mogadishu.
- Erdogan Calls Libya Peace Conference Important Step, Also Intends to Discuss Syria's Idlib Sputnik 19 Jan 2020 -- The Berlin conference follows the intra-Libyan talks in Moscow with the participation of representatives of Russia and Turkey.
- Turkey deploys more militants from Syria to Libya to help protect Tripoli-based GNA: Report Press TV 18 Jan 2020 -- Roughly 2,000 members of Turkish-backed Takfiri terrorist groups in Syria have reportedly arrived in Libya to fight on the battlefields in support of the embattled Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA).
- UN urges 'foreign' players to stop 'meddling' in Libya conflict Press TV 18 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations has urged all "foreign" players to stop "interfering" in the conflict in Libya, just a day before a peace summit in Germany aimed at establishing a permanent ceasefire between the two warring sides in the North African country.
- Erdogan Says Europe Should Support Turkish Effort If It Wants To End Libyan Conflict RFE/RL 18 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has called on Europe to support his country's efforts in Libya, where it is providing military support to the internationally-recognized government, if it wants to end the conflict there.
- Turkish President Erdogan Says LNA's Haftar Unreliable, Continuing to Bomb Tripoli Sputnik 17 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that the Libyan National Army's (LNA) commander, Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, was an "unreliable" figure since he continued to bomb the capital of Tripoli, which is currently under the Government of National Accord's (GNA) control, this week.
- Erdogan Takes Sides in Libyan Conflict Ahead of Berlin Meeting VOA 17 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is doubling down on support for the U.N.-backed government in Libya ahead of a Berlin conference aimed at ending the Libyan civil war.
- Turkey is sending troops to Libya, Erdogan says Global Times 16 Jan 2020 -- Turkey is sending troops to Libya to support the UN-backed Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Thursday.
- Turkey 'not pessimistic' about ceasefire in Libya but wary of Haftar Press TV 16 Jan 2020 -- Turkey says it is not pessimistic about the prospect of a ceasefire in Libya, even after the collapse of peace talks in Moscow, but accuses renegade Libyan general Khalifa Haftar of seeking continued conflict.
- Turkey starting troop deployment to Libya, President Erdogan says Press TV 16 Jan 2020 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey is starting deployment of troops to Libya in support of the embattled United Nations-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) and in line with agreements relating to maritime border demarcation and enhanced security cooperation.
- Turkish S-400 Systems Will Become Fully Operational by May - Reports Sputnik 15 Jan 2020 -- In late-December, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov said that Ankara may potentially seek to acquire an additional batch of Russian-made S-400 air-defence missile systems.
- Controversy Growing in Turkey Over Erdogan's Massive Canal Project VOA 15 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's project to provide an alternative route to the Bosporus waterway is becoming increasingly mired in controversy.
- Turkey Wants to Negotiate Establishment of Safe Zone in Syria's Idlib With Russia - Ankara Sputnik 15 Jan 2020 -- Ankara wishes to discuss with Moscow the creation of a safe zone in the Idlib province of Syria, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar told reporters on Wednesday.
- Turkish Leader Threatens Action in Libya, Syria VOA 14 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is threatening action in both Libya and Syria as rhetoric ramps up in the face of looming regional setbacks and growing frustrations with Moscow.
- Turkey to 'teach a lesson' to Libyan rebel commander if anti-govt. offensive resumes Press TV 14 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will "teach a lesson" to Libyan rebel commander Khalifa Haftar if he resumes his offensive against Libya's internationally-recognized government after withdrawing from ceasefire talks in Moscow.
- Erdogan Says Turkey Ready To 'Teach A Lesson' To Libya's Haftar RFE/RL 14 Jan 2020 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will "teach a lesson" to Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar if his forces continue attacks against the North African country's internationally recognized government.
- Erdogan Says Turkey Will 'Teach Haftar a Lesson' in Libya if He Doesn't Stop Offensive Sputnik 14 Jan 2020 -- This comes after the Libyan National Army leader Khalifa Haftar left Moscow without signing a ceasefire agreement with the head of the UN-backed Government of National Accord Fayez al-Sarraj.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeos Call with Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu US Dept. of State 12 Jan 2020
- Turkish, Greek Diplomats Meet Amid Rising Tensions VOA 10 Jan 2020 -- Turkish and Greek diplomats met Friday in a bid to defuse rising bilateral tensions over control of the eastern Mediterranean Sea, which is at the center of a regional scramble for what might be vast gas reserves.
- Haftar rejects Turkey-Russia's call for Libyan ceasefire Press TV 10 Jan 2020 -- Libyan renegade general Khalifa Haftar has rejected calls for a ceasefire by Turkey and Russia, insisting that he would continue the offensive against forces of the internationally-recognized government in Tripoli.
- Libyan Warlord Vows To Continue Fight Amid Cease-Fire Call By Russia, Turkey RFE/RL 10 Jan 2020 -- Forces loyal to Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar said they would not halt their campaign to drive the UN-backed government from Tripoli amid calls from Russia and Turkey for a cease-fire in the war-torn North Africa nation.
- Turkey Says Its Four Soldiers Killed in Car Bombing in Syria - Reports Sputnik 09 Jan 2020 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry has given no further details as to the exact area of the explosion or who is responsible for the attack.
- Erdogan, Putin issue joint statement on Libya, Iran and Syria People's Daily 09 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on Wednesday issued a joint statement on the civil war of Libya, crisis in Iran and developments in Syria after their consecutive meetings in Istanbul.
- Libyan Government of National Accord Welcomes Russian-Turkish Statement on Libya Sputnik 09 Jan 2020 -- The Tripoli-based Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) welcomed the Russian-Turkish statement on the situation in Libya.
- Russia, Turkey Call For Cease-Fire In Libya From January 12 RFE/RL 08 Jan 2020 -- The Russian and Turkish presidents have called for a cease-fire in the conflict in Libya where Moscow and Ankara are backing opposing sides.
- Putin to Visit Istanbul Amid Increasing Differences Over Syria, Libya VOA 07 Jan 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin is visiting Istanbul Wednesday, where he will meet his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Bilateral relations have dramatically improved much to Ankara's western allies' concern, but escalating regional differences threaten to sour those bilateral ties.
- Turkey Starts Military Deployment in Libya as International Pressure Rises VOA 06 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared Monday that Turkish forces would do their duty in Libya after being deployed to support the country's besieged Government of National Accord.
- Turkish Military Contingent Deploys to Libya - Erdogan Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) commander, Khalifa Haftar, announced a "decisive battle" for Tripoli. His opponents, the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), responded by asking Turkey to provide military support, prompting Haftar to declare a general mobilization of his forces to resist what he describes as a foreign invasion.
- Saudi Arabia Rejects, Condemns Turkey's Latest Escalation in Libyan affairs As Violation of Security Council Resolutions SPA 05 Jan 2020 -- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia expressed its rejection and condemnation of Turkey's latest escalation in the Libyan issue, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
- Saudi Arabia Slams Turkish Parliament's Decision to Allow Sending Troops to Libya Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- Saudi Arabia condemns the Turkish parliament's decision to authorize sending troops to Libya, saying that the move violates UN Security Council resolutions concerning Libya and curbs efforts to settle the crisis in the conflict-torn country, the state-run SPA news agency reported, citing the Saudi Foreign Ministry, on Sunday.
- Parliament in Libya's East Votes to Break Off Ties With Turkey - Report Sputnik 05 Jan 2020 -- Earlier, the Turkish parliament voted to send military reinforcements to the UN-backed Government of National Accord, which is controlling the capital of Tripoli that is besieged by the Libyan National Army, led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's Call with Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu US Dept. of State 04 Jan 2020
- Haftar calls on 'all Libyans' to take up arms against Turkish troops Press TV 04 Jan 2020 -- Libya's self-styled commander Khalifa Haftar has called on people to take up arms to fight Turkish troops, who are to be sent to the country as part of a security deal with the internationally-recognized government in Tripoli.
- Any Foreign Interference to Deepen Conflict in Libya – Deputy Spokesperson for UN Chief Sputnik 04 Jan 2020 -- Any foreign support to warring parties in Libya will only escalate the conflict in the country, the deputy spokesperson for the UN secretary-general said amid the Turkish plans to send troops to the war-torn north African nation.
- EU Concerned Over Turkey's Decision to Support Tripoli Government in Libya - Spokesman Sputnik 03 Jan 2020 -- The EU is concerned over Ankara's decision to intervene militarily in the ongoing conflict in Libya on the side of the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) as it may lead to further destabilisation of the situation in the country, lead spokesman of the European Commission for the external affairs Peter Stano said.
- Turkey's lawmakers approve troop deployment to Libya Press TV 02 Jan 2020 -- Turkey's parliament approves military deployment to Libya, aimed at shoring up the UN-backed government in Tripoli, which has been under sustained attack since April by military strongman General Khalifa Haftar.
- Turkey's Parliament Passes Bill on Troop Deployment in Libya Sputnik 02 Jan 2020 -- Previously, Ankara and the UN-recognised Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) presiding in Tripoli signed an agreement on military cooperation in November 2019.
- Turkish Parliament Sanctions Libya Military Deployment Amid Concerns, Condemnation VOA 02 Jan 2020 -- A motion sanctioning the deployment of armed forces to Libya easily passed the Turkish Parliament on Thursday, but the specter of Turkish forces entering the Libyan civil war is triggering alarm and condemnation.
- Trump warns Turkey's Erdogan against military intervention in Libya Press TV 02 Jan 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has warned his Turkish counterpart against sending troops to Libya hours after Turkey's parliament approved a bill allowing the government to do so.
- Turkey dispatches new military convoy to Syria's Idlib: SOHR Press TV 02 Jan 2020 -- Turkey has brought in a new column of military forces and hardware to be deployed in its observation posts in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, only days after Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said the Turkish military will not leave the posts, a Britain-based war monitor says.
- Trump Tells Erdogan 'Outsiders' Trying To Complicate Situation In Libya RFE/RL 02 Jan 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has told Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in a phone call on January 2 that outsiders were complicating the situation in Libya.
- Arab League Condemns Turkish Parliament Approval to Send Troops to Libya SPA 02 Jan 2020 -- The Arab League strongly condemned and denunciated the Turkish parliament's approval to authorize the Turkish president to send troops to Libya .
- Egypt Condemns Turkish Parliament Approval to Send Forces to Libya SPA 02 Jan 2020 -- Egypt strongly condemned today the Turkish parliament approval of a memorandum of understanding presented by the Turkish president to send military forces to Libya.
- Turkey Will Not Send Troops to Libya If Haftar Ceases Offensive in Tripoli - Vice President Sputnik 01 Jan 2020 -- Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay said that Ankara would not send its troops to Libya if the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, stopped its attack on Tripoli.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list