Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2019 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Erdogan, Macron trade barbs in 'brain death' dispute Press TV 30 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has engaged in a war of words with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron after the latter said NATO was dying owing to a lack of coordination between member states to respond to Ankara's Syria offensive.
- French President Should Check His Own 'Brain Death' - Erdogan on Macron's NATO Comment Sputnik 29 Nov 2019 -- In an interview with The Economist in early November, French President Emmanuel Macron said that European countries could no longer rely on the United States to defend North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) allies, adding that "what we are currently experiencing is the brain death of NATO".
- Two Turkish soldiers killed in attack near Syria border: Ministry Press TV 28 Nov 2019 -- Turkey's defense ministry says two Turkish soldiers have been killed in a mortar attack near a military base on the Syrian border.
- Syrian government forces shoot down Turkish reconnaissance drone in Hasakah: Report Press TV 28 Nov 2019 -- Syrian government forces have reportedly intercepted and targeted an unmanned aerial vehicle belonging to Turkish military while flying in the skies over Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah and near the border with Turkey.
- Russian-Made S-400 Systems Vital for Turkish Defence Capabilities – Ankara Sputnik 27 Nov 2019 -- Ankara will continue to negotiate with Washington, but will not bow to the United States' pressure over the use of Russian-made S-400 air defence systems which are vital for Turkish defence capabilities, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Wednesday, as reported by Turkish newspaper Daily Sabah.
- Turkish Ally Accused of Widespread Rights Abuses in Syria VOA 27 Nov 2019 -- The New York-based Human Rights Watch claims it has "damming evidence" showing the Turkish-backed Syrian National Army is engaged in summary executions, pillaging, seizing properties, and preventing the return of people to their homes.
- Turkish Offensive in Syria to Continue Until Achievement of Its Goals - Security Council Sputnik 27 Nov 2019 -- Turkish military operation Peace Spring in northern Syria will continue until all its goals are achieved, a statement adopted following a meeting of the Turkish National Security Council chaired by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan held on Tuesday.
- US Military Base in Turkey Has Uncertain Future VOA 26 Nov 2019 -- With U.S.-Turkish relations at their lowest ebb in decades, the future of a critical American air base in Turkey is increasingly in the spotlight.
- Turkey tests Russian-made S-400 systems: sources People's Daily 26 Nov 2019 -- Turkey on Monday and Tuesday would be testing the radar systems of Russian-made S-400 anti-missile defense systems in capital Ankara, sources from the Turkish Defense Industries Directorate told Xinhua.
- Russia plans to sign new S-400 deal with Turkey in first half of 2020: Official Press TV 26 Nov 2019 -- A high-ranking Russian military figure says Moscow plans to sign a new contract with Turkey to supply new batteries of the advanced Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems to Turkey in the first half of 2020.
- Turkey issues arrest warrants for 168 over 'Gulen links' Press TV 26 Nov 2019 -- Turkey has ordered the arrest of 168 people, including military personnel, over suspected links to opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara blames for a failed coup in 2016.
- In Doha, President Erdogan stresses military ties with Qatar Press TV 26 Nov 2019 -- During a visit to Qatar, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said a military base built in and jointly run with the Arab country can ensure stability and peace in the Persian Gulf region, as Ankara and Doha further close ranks in the face of a Saudi Arabian-led blockade on Qatar.
- Pompeo Brands Turkey's S-400 Tests 'Concerning' as Ankara Seeks Further Talks With Washington Sputnik 26 Nov 2019 -- During a press briefing on Tuesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo specifically focused on Washington's approach to Turkey testing S-400 missile systems and the likelihood of further sanctions on Iran.
- Efforts to Resolve the S-400 Row With the US to Continue Until April - Erdogan Sputnik 26 Nov 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Rosoboronexport Director General Alexander Mikheev said that the contract, under which Russia will deliver the second regiment of its S-400 missile systems to Turkey, is expected to be signed next year.
- Russia, Turkey Agree on Technical Issues Regarding S-400, Discuss Financing - Rosoboronexport Sputnik 26 Nov 2019 -- Russia will give Turkey the option of purchasing a second S-400 regiment, Alexander Mikheev , director general of Rosoboronexport said.
- Ankara Defies Washington Over Russian Missiles VOA 25 Nov 2019 -- Turkey and the United States are seemingly closer to a collision course as Turkish media report Ankara testing a Russian anti-aircraft weapon system, despite threats of Washington sanctions.
- Russian Defence Ministry Says It Conducts Joint Patrol with Turkey in Syria's Al-Hasakah Sputnik 26 Nov 2019 -- Russia and Turkey have conducted a joint patrol in Syria's northeastern al-Hasakah province, Major General Yuri Borenkov, the head of the Defence Ministry's Reconciliation Center in Syria, said during a briefing on Monday.
- Turkey to test Russian S-400 systems despite US warnings: Report Press TV 25 Nov 2019 -- Turkey is set to test its Russian S-400 defense missile system despite repeated warnings from Washington that it could lead to sanctions, Turkish media report.
- Erdogan Visits New Turkish Military Base in Qatar, Vows to Help Secure Gulf Region Sputnik 25 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday visited the newly built Turkish military base in Qatar and praised it as a security mainstay for all countries in the Persian Gulf.
- Turkey Has No Plans to Resume Offensive in Northeastern Syria – Reports Sputnik 25 Nov 2019 -- Turkey last month conducted a military incursion into Syrian border areas controlled by Kurdish militias. The operation was put on pause after Russia, a major player in Syria, struck a deal with Turkey and secured a withdrawal of Kurdish forces from the border area.
- Turkey-Qatar force command serves stability of region - Erdogan TRT 25 Nov 2019 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that construction of the new Turkish military post in Qatar has been completed and it will be named after the famous Muslim commander Khalid bin Walid.
- Turkish forces, allied militants launch major assault on key northern Syria town Press TV 24 Nov 2019 -- Turkish military forces and allied militants have launched a fierce assault on a key town in Syria's northern province of Raqqah, more than a month after they mounted a cross-border offensive to clear the region of YPG Kurdish militants.
- Turkey says eyes alternatives if US F-35 jets not acquired for any reason Press TV 23 Nov 2019 -- Turkey says it will seek for alternative fighter jets if it cannot acquire US F-35 warplanes for any reason, months after Washington announced its official refusal to deliver the advanced aircraft purchased by Ankara.
- U.S. Warns Turkey, Egypt About Purchase Of Russian Military Equipment RFE/RL 22 Nov 2019 -- A senior State Department official has lashed out at Turkey and Egypt for military deals they have struck with Russia, warning of sanctions against the U.S. allies if they don't reverse course.
- Turkey Has to 'Destroy, Return, or Somehow Get Rid of S-400' - US Department of State Sputnik 22 Nov 2019 -- The news comes a week after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan refused to ditch the S-400 air defence systems that Ankara has purchased from Russia, stating it is "not right". The politician noted that his country is ready to buy Patriot systems from the US on favourable terms, but dismissed the US demands as meddling in Turkey's sovereign affairs.
- US State Dept. official: Turkey needs to 'get rid of' Russian S-400 system Press TV 21 Nov 2019 -- A senior US State Department official says Turkey needs to get rid of the advanced Russian S-400 missile defense system to put an end to the standoff with the United States.
- Turkish court upholds verdict against former Cumhuriyet employees Press TV 21 Nov 2019 -- A Turkish court has confirmed convictions against a dozen former journalists from Turkey's main opposition Cumhuriyet newspaper, despite their sentences being overturned by a higher court.
- Turkey Never Used Banned Weapons in Syria During Operation Peace Spring - Defence Minister Sputnik 21 Nov 2019 -- Turkey has never used banned weapons during Operation Peace Spring against Kurdish militia and the Daesh* terrorist group in northern Syria, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said.
- UN experts urge Turkey to repatriate Irish woman associated with terror group UN News 21 Nov 2019 -- Turkey must ensure that an Irish woman and her infant daughter who are being held in custody there are repatriated, independent UN experts said in a statement released on Thursday. The woman, Lisa Smith, has been described in press reports as a supporter of the ISIL terror group, and former member of the Irish military.
- Syria censures acts of aggression by Turkish forces against ordinary citizens Press TV 21 Nov 2019 -- Damascus has strongly condemned "criminal acts of aggression" perpetrated by Turkish military forces against Syrian people in the aftermath of a cross-border incursion into the northern part of the Arab country, calling on the international community to force Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to stop the measures.
- US Warns That Turkey's Syria Offensive Giving IS 'Time and Space' VOA 19 Nov 2019 -- U.S. defense intelligence officials are offering a sobering assessment of the impact Turkey's incursion into northeastern Syria – and corresponding moves by the U.S. and other powers – will have on efforts to destroy the Islamic State terror group.
- Erdogan Says If US Stance on F-35s Doesn't Change, Turkey Will Have to Look for Defence Alternatives Sputnik 19 Nov 2019 -- Earlier, Donald Trump announced that bilateral national security teams would start working on a solution to Ankara's purchase of S-400 systems from Russia and the impact that the Russian air defence systems could have on the US-made F-35 jets.
- Ankara Warns Will Resume North Syria Offensive If Deals on Kurds' Pullout Not Fulfilled Sputnik 19 Nov 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Monday that his country was ready to resume its offensive in northeastern Syria if the United States and Russia do not implement their share of agreements on the withdrawal of Kurdish militia, whom Ankara designates as terrorists, from the safe zone.
- Turkey to launch offensive in Syria if YPG not purged: FM Press TV 18 Nov 2019 -- Turkey has threatened to launch another operation in northeastern Syria if the area is not cleared of Kurdish militants from the People's Protection Units (YPG), who are viewed by Ankara as terrorists.
- Russian, Turkish Military Carry Out 8th Joint Patrol in Syria's North - Defence Ministry Sputnik 18 Nov 2019 -- The goal of the patrol was to monitor the situation in Syrian settlements eastward from the customs checkpoint in Aylishar along the Syrian-Turkish border.
- Russia: S-400s sold to Turkey to go operational in 2020 Press TV 17 Nov 2019 -- A Russian military official says the S-400 missile defense systems sold to Turkey will be operational in spring 2020, adding that the training of Turkish personnel to work with the advanced weapons is almost complete.
- Turkey's S-400 Systems to Be 'Ready for Combat' by Spring - Russian Gov't Agency Sputnik 17 Nov 2019 -- Earlier, the head of the Turkish Defence Industry Directorate, Ismail Demir, said that Turkey purchased S-400 missile defence systems from Russia to make use of them, not just store them away.
- Turkey arrests Syria bomb attack suspect Press TV 17 Nov 2019 -- Turkey says it has arrested the suspect in a deadly bomb attack in Syria's northern province of Aleppo, alleging that the assailant is a member of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militant group.
- Turkish Drilling Ship Fatih Has Started Op off Cyprus Coast - Reports Sputnik 15 Nov 2019 -- Ankara previously sent its vessels to the Cypriot exclusive economic zone in order to carry out exploration for hydrocarbons despite pushback from Nicosia and the European Union. According to Turkey, its vessels have every right to drill in the Mediterranean region.
- Turkey 'will go on with Russian S-400 purchase' Press TV 15 Nov 2019 -- A senior aide to Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the country is determined to go on with the purchase of Russian S-400 missile defense systems, despite threats of sanctions by the United States.
- Turkey says US demand to drop Russian S-400s infringes sovereign rights Press TV 14 Nov 2019 -- Turkey has rejected a demand by the United States to abandon the S-400 missile defense systems it has bought from Russia, calling such a request unacceptable and an infringement of sovereign rights.
- Turkish forces begin to establish base in northern Syria weeks after incursion Press TV 14 Nov 2019 -- Turkish army troops have begun setting up a military base in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, weeks after they launched a cross-border incursion, backed by allied militants, against members of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).
- Twin Blasts at Ammo Depot in Southeastern Turkey Injure 17 - Reports Sputnik 14 Nov 2019 -- Seventeen people were injured as a result of two simultaneous explosions that occurred at an ammunition depot in Turkey's southeastern province of Sanliurfa on Thursday, Anadolu reported, citing the provincial governor.
- Trump lauds Erdogan ties amid S-400 tensions, pro-Kurd protest Press TV 13 Nov 2019 -- US President Donald Trump lauds his relationship with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan amid S-400 tensions between Washington and Ankara.
- Remarks by President Trump and President Erdogan of Turkey in Legislative Engagement with Select Members of the Senate The White House 13 Nov 2019
- Turkey Captures Top Daesh Militant During Operation in Northern Syria - Defence Minister Sputnik 13 Nov 2019 -- Turkish Defence Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Wednesday that a top Daesh militant had been captured during Ankara's operation in northern Syria.
- Trump, Erdogan Discuss Turkey's Purchase of Russian Missile Defense System VOA 13 Nov 2019 -- There was no indication of any breakthrough following talks Wednesday between the leaders of Turkey and United States at a time when their relationship is at a low ebb.
- Remarks by President Trump and President Erdogan of Turkey Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 13 Nov 2019
- Turkish courts give life sentences to over 2,300 defendants over 2016 botched putsch Press TV 12 Nov 2019 -- Courts in Turkey have handed down life sentences to a total of 2,327 defendants, including senior military officers, on charges of involvement in the failed July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Amnesty: Turkey Arrests Hundreds Over Criticism of Syria Offensive VOA 12 Nov 2019 -- Turkish authorities have detained hundreds of people for posting comments on social media that questioned or criticized the country's military offensive in Syria, according to Amnesty International.
- Turkey Faces Growing Regional Tensions Over Syria VOA 12 Nov 2019 -- Turkey's October military intervention into Syria is increasingly straining relations with its regional allies and neighbors, but the country is pushing back against mounting criticism of its Syrian incursion.
- Turkish forces shoot at protesting civilians near Syria's Kobani, kill two Press TV 12 Nov 2019 -- At least two civilians have lost their lives when Turkish military forces fired live rounds at a group of people, who were taking part in a protest against their presence in northern Syria following a cross-border incursion by Turkish army troops and their allied militants against members of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).
- Erdogan: US, Russia not honoring Syria agreements Press TV 12 Nov 2019 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has criticized the United States and Russia for failing to fulfill their parts of agreements struck last month on the withdrawal of Washington's allied Kurdish militants from Syria's northern border regions, saying he would raise the issue with his American and Russian counterparts.
- American IS Fighter Stuck Between Greek, Turkish Borders VOA 12 Nov 2019 -- An American citizen accused of being a fighter for Islamic State is stranded in the no-man's land between the borders of Turkey and Greece after Ankara deported him.
- Tensions High Ahead of Erdogan-Trump Meeting VOA 11 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan visits Washington this week to meet President Donald Trump, a meeting some consider an opportunity to reset relations that have been strained over numerous policy differences.
- Russian, Turkish Military Start 4th Joint Patrol in Syria's North - Russian Ministry Sputnik 11 Nov 2019 -- The Russian military police and the Turkish border service have started their fourth joint patrol in a new area in Syria's north, at the border with Turkey, and the route will make around 80 kilometers (49 miles), the Russian Defence Ministry said on Monday.
- Turkey Deports US Citizen in Push to Repatriate IS Fighters VOA 11 Nov 2019 -- Turkey has deported citizens of the United States and Denmark who fought for Islamic State as a part of a plan to repatriate foreign jihadists held in Turkey.
- Turkey deports 2 captured Western members of Daesh Press TV 11 Nov 2019 -- Turkey has deported two captured Western members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group despite unwillingness of the countries of origin.
- NATO no place for 'significant Russian military purchases,' Trump to tell Erdogan Press TV 10 Nov 2019 -- US President Donald Trump will tell his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, that NATO is "no place" for "significant Russian military purchases."
- Turkish drone pounds village in Syria's Hasakah amid cross-border incursion Press TV 10 Nov 2019 -- A combat unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), operated by Turkish military forces, has reportedly launched an airstrike against a residential neighborhood in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, in the aftermath of a cross-border incursion by Turkish army troops and their allied militants into the Arab country's Kurdish-populated region.
- US Congress Threatens to Sanction Turkey Unless Ankara Abandons S-400 - White House Sputnik 10 Nov 2019 -- Earlier this month, Russia completed the delivery of all components of the S-400 air defence missile systems to Turkey ahead of schedule. Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said the systems would be prepared for commissioning by next spring.
- Erdogan, Putin Discuss Syria Over Phone, Reaffirm Commitment to Sochi Memorandum Sputnik 09 Nov 2019 -- Moscow and Ankara agreed in Sochi on 22 October that Russian military police and Syrian border guards would enter the northern areas of Syria to facilitate the withdrawal of Kurdish fighters from the YPG. Under the memorandum, Russia and Turkey also agreed to conduct joint patrols in the operation zone along the Turkish border.
- Turkey Slams US Claims About Syrian Oil Fields as Contradiction of International Law Sputnik 09 Nov 2019 -- Earlier, amid repeated claims by President Trump that Washington would be "securing" and "keeping" Syria's oil, US media reported that as many as 800 US troops would be kept in the war-torn country to keep the black gold out of the hands of both Daesh (ISIS)* and Damascus, the oil's legitimate owner.
- Erdogan criticizes EU for its attitude towards Turkey People's Daily 08 Nov 2019 -- Visiting Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan criticized here on Thursday the European Union (EU) for its attitude towards Turkey, which he termed as "far from constructive," during a joint press conference with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban.
- Erdogan says Turkey will not withdraw troops from Syria until other countries pull out Press TV 08 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's troops will not leave Syria until other countries pull out, insisting that Ankara will continue its cross-border offensive against Kurdish militants in northeastern parts of the Arab country until every one of them has left the region.
- Russia, Turkey Complete 3rd Joint Patrol in Syria After Covering Over 65 Miles - MoD Sputnik 08 Nov 2019 -- The Turkish-Russian patrol was carried out within the memorandum on securing the situation in Syria's northeast in light of Ankara's offensive against Kurdish militants, signed on 22 October.
- Erdogan Threatens to Open Doors for Refugees to Europe Unless EU Provides Enough Support to Turkey Sputnik 07 Nov 2019 -- The European Union has paid three billion euros to Turkey under a 2016 deal to contain the influx of refugees to Europe. Ankara has repeatedly complained about the slow pace of disbursements, threatening to let migrants cross through its territory.
- Erdogan says US not honoring Syria deal ahead of Trump talks Press TV 07 Nov 2019 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the United States is not fulfilling its pledge to remove Kurdish militants from a Syrian border region and that he would raise the issue when he meets US President Donald Trump next week.
- Turkey's Erdogan Threatens To Let Refugees Into Europe If More Aid Not Given RFE/RL 07 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has repeated his threat to "open the gates" to Europe for Syrian refugees if the European Union doesn't provide additional support for them.
- Turkey Detains at Least 13 of Al-Baghdadi's Relatives - Erdogan Sputnik 07 Nov 2019 -- Turkish security forces have detained at least 10 relatives of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the recently killed leader of the Daesh* terrorist group, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced on Thursday.
- Turkish President Erdogan Claims Militants Refused to Leave Safe Zone in Northern Syria Sputnik 07 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed to discuss the implementation of a Russian-Turkish memorandum on Syria with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Erdogan Accuses Moscow, Washington of Failing to Deliver on Syrian Agreement VOA 07 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is accusing Moscow and Washington of reneging on commitments to enforce the withdrawal of a Syrian Kurdish militia from Turkey's border, and he is warning of a resumption of military operations in Syria.
- Turkey Mulls Purchase of Russian Su-35 Jets Despite Potential US Reaction - Official Sputnik 06 Nov 2019 -- Turkey Backs Syria's Integrity, Will Eventually Withdraw Troops
- Erdogan Threatens Deepening Russian Ties Unless US Unfreezes Jet Sale VOA 06 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is threatening to deepen military ties with Moscow unless the United States lifts its embargo on the sale of a key fighter jet.
- Turkey Says Forces Captured Wife Of Slain IS Leader Baghdadi RFE/RL 06 Nov 2019 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkish forces in Syria have captured one of the wives and other family members of slain Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Turkey Captures al-Baghdadi's Wife, Sister, Brother-in-Law in Syria - Erdogan Sputnik 06 Nov 2019 -- On 27 October, US President Donald Trump announced that Daesh* leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had been killed in a raid executed by US Special Operations Forces in Syria's Idlib province.
- Erdogan Announces Turkish Capture of IS Leader's Wife VOA 06 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday that Turkish forces have captured a wife of former Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was killed during a U.S. special forces raid in Syria.
- Erdogan Accuses US of Failure to Ensure Kurdish Troops Withdrawal From Northern Syria Sputnik 05 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has stated that the United States was conducting joint patrols with Kurdish militants in the security zone in northern Syria, which contradicts the US-Turkish arrangements on Kurdish forces' withdrawal.
- Turkey says it captured sister of slain Daesh leader in Syria Press TV 04 Nov 2019 -- A senior Turkish official says his country has captured the elder sister of the slain leader of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in what he calls an intelligence "gold mine" in northwestern Syria.
- Turkey Says It Captured Sister Of Dead IS Leader Baghdadi In Northern Syria RFE/RL 05 Nov 2019 -- Turkey has captured the older sister of slain Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in northwestern Syria, Turkish officials say.
- Delivery of Russian S-400 second batch might be delayed: Turkey Press TV 04 Nov 2019 -- A senior Turkish official says the delivery of a second batch of Russian S-400 missile defense systems may be postponed beyond a planned 2020 timeline after bilateral talks on technology sharing and joint production.
- Turkish forces neutralize PKK terrorist listed in Ankara's most wanted Press TV 04 Nov 2019 -- Turkish forces have killed one of the most wanted members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a counter-terrorism operation in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Ankara to Study Moscow's Proposal for Russian Fighters Jets Supply Sputnik 04 Nov 2019 -- Washington previously announced its decision to suspend Ankara's participation in the international F-35 programme over Ankara's purchase of Russian S-400s, adding that Turkey would be completely removed from the project by late March 2020.
- Turkey Reportedly Captures Dead Daesh Leader's Sister, Calls It 'Intelligence Gold Mine' Sputnik 05 Nov 2019 -- An unnamed Turkish official said the woman is being interrogated along with her husband, but did not provide further details.
- Turkey says it will certainly repatriate Daesh prisoners even if citizenships revoked Press TV 04 Nov 2019 -- Turkey reiterates that it will surely send captured members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group back to their countries of origin even if those countries have stripped them of their citizenship, lambasting the approach adopted by European countries on the issue.
- Stoltenberg Says Turkey's NATO Membership Unquestionable Despite Operation in Syria Sputnik 03 Nov 2019 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview with the German Bild newspaper that he did not question Turkey's membership of the alliance despite Ankara's military operation in northern Syria.
- Turkey Says It Will Send Daesh Prisoners to Home Countries Sputnik 02 Nov 2019 -- Turkey launched a military operation in northern Syria on 9 October, saying that it was necessary to oust Kurdish militants and Daesh* fighters and to establish a safe zone for Syrian refugees.
- Turkey to Send Detained IS Fighters to Home Countries, Minister Says VOA 02 Nov 2019 -- Turkey's interior minister said Saturday Ankara would eventually send detained Islamic State members back to their home countries, declaring, "We are not going to keep them until the end of time."
- Daesh prisoners will be sent back to home countries in Europe: Turkey Press TV 02 Nov 2019 -- Turkey says it will send foreign members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group back to their home countries in Europe after the suspected militants were captured by the Turkish army troops during Ankara's cross-border offensive into northeastern Syria.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's Call with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu US Dept. of State 01 Nov 2019
- Russia Completes Supplies of S-400 Air Defence Missile Systems to Turkey Sputnik 01 Oct 2019 -- Russia completed the delivery of all components of S-400 air defence missile systems to Turkey ahead of schedule, Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport Director General Alexander Mikheev said Friday.
- Turkey begins joint patrols with Russia in northern Syria, hands over 18 captured Syrian troops Press TV 01 Nov 2019 -- Turkey has begun joint patrols with Russia in northern Syria after Kurdish militants met a 150-hour deadline to leave border areas near Turkey as part of a deal struck between Ankara and Moscow in Sochi late last month.
- Turkey and Russia Launch Joint Patrols in Syria VOA 01 Nov 2019 -- Turkey and Russia have held their first round of joint patrols in Syria as part of a deal that forced Kurdish forces away from Turkey's border.
- Turkey, Russia Launch Joint Patrols In Northeast Syria RFE/RL 01 Nov 2019 -- Turkish and Russian troops have conducted their first joint patrols in northeast Syria in accordance with a deal reached last week between Ankara and Moscow that halted a Turkish offensive against Syrian Kurdish fighters.
- Turkish, Russian Troops Begin Joint Patrols in Northern Syria Sputnik 01 Nov 2019 -- Earlier in the day, some 300 Russian soldiers and 20 armoured vehicles were delivered to northern Syria where Russia and Turkey have been patrolling border areas.
- Turkish Foreign Ministry Summons French Ambassador After Resolution on Syria - Reports Sputnik 01 Nov 2019 -- The Turkish Foreign Ministry summoned French Ambassador Charles Fries after a resolution was adopted by the French parliament condemning Ankara's Operation Peace Spring in northern Syria, the Anadolu news agency reported on Thursday, citing diplomatic sources.
- Guterres in Turkey: UN to study 'new settlement areas' plan for Syrian refugees UN News 01 Nov 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday presented UN Secretary-General António Guterres with a plan for resettling hundreds-of-thousands of Syrian refugees, in the wake of the country's offensive into northeastern Syria last month to remove Kurdish forces, aimed at creating a so-called "safe zone" along the border for returnees.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list