Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2019 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Turkey Warns of Launching Own Offensive in Northern Syria Sputnik 31 Aug 2019 -- Turkey intends to launch its own long-promised military operation against Kurdish forces in Syria to the east of the Euphrates River if the United States fails to meet Ankara's conditions for a safe zone within several weeks, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday.
- Ankara looking for alternatives to US F-35 fighter jets: Turkey's Erdogan Press TV 31 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara is looking for alternatives to the US Lockheed Martin F-35 fighter jets after Washington suspended Turkey's membership in a joint production program of the warplane.
- Turkish President Says Russian Fighter-Jet Purchase Under Consideration RFE/RL 30 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is indicating that Ankara will consider its options, including Russian fighter jets, as it looks to upgrade its air force amid a rift with Washington that has halted the purchase of U.S. fighters.
- Turkey Sending Armored Vehicles to Border With Syria Amid Tensions in Idlib – Reports Sputnik 30 Aug 2019 -- Turkey continues to send armored vehicles to the Syrian border amid the ongoing tensions in Idlib province in northern Syria, Turkey's Anadolu news agency reported.
- Erdogan Says Ankara in Talks With Moscow Over Delivery of Su-57 Fighters to Turkey Sputnik 30 Aug 2019 -- Russia and Turkey are discussing possible deliveries of Russia's Su-35 or Su-57 fighters, with Ankara expressing significant interest in this purchase, Russia's federal military-technical cooperation service reported, following Erdogan's visit to Moscow.
- Erdogan: US-Turkey deal on Syria 'correct step toward safe zone' Press TV 29 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's deal with the US on establishing a "safe zone" in northern Syria was a correct step, and Ankara won't let Washington delay its implementation.
- Erdogan Vows US Cannot Prevent Creation of Buffer Zone in Syria Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Turkey will not allow the United States impede the process of creating a safe zone to the east of the Euphrates river in northern Syria, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.
- Erdogan Not Ruling Out Purchasing Russia's Su-35, Su-57 Fighters Instead of US F-35 Jets Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- Following a meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan at the MAKS-2019 International Air Show earlier this week, the Russian leader stated that Ankara and Moscow had discussed maintaining cooperation in defence, including on both fourth-generation Su-35 and fifth-generation Su-57 jets. Putin also noted that Turkey is interested not only in purchasing, but also in jointly producing weapons.
- US House panel urges Trump to sanction Turkey over S-400 purchase Press TV 28 Aug 2019 -- The Foreign Affairs Committee of the US House of Representatives has called on President Donald Trump to impose sanctions on Turkey over its purchase of Russian S-400 missile defense systems.
- Russia, Turkey Discuss Sale Of Stealth Fighter, Su-35 Jet RFE/RL 28 Aug 2019 -- Russia and Turkey are exploring the possibility of deliveries of the Russian-made Sukhoi Su-57 stealth fighter jet and Su-35 aircraft to Ankara, according to a Russian official.
- Erdogan Interested in Russia's MiG-35 Fighter Apart From Su-35, Su-57 - Russian Defence Cooperation Service Sputnik 28 Aug 2019 -- Russia and Turkey are discussing possible deliveries of Russia's Su-35 or Su-57 fighters, Vladimir Putin stated earlier. Ankara has expressed significant interest in this purchase, the head of the Russian Federal Service of Military-Technical Cooperation, Dmitry Shugayev noted.
- Russia Ready to Help Turkey Create TF-X Fifth-Generation Fighter Sputnik 28 Aug 2019 -- Russia may help Turkey to create its own TF-X fifth-generation fighter, the head of the Federal Service of Military-Technical Cooperation, Dmitry Shugayev, said on Wednesday at the MAKS-2019 international air show in Moscow region's Zhukovsky. The Rossiya Segodnya International Information Agency is an official media partner of the event.
- Putin, Erdogan Discuss Syria, Defense Cooperation RFE/RL 27 Aug 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has met with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, for talks outside Moscow as the two leaders seek common ground on the Syrian conflict.
- US Lawmakers Urge Trump to Sanction Turkey Over S-400 Purchase as Required By Law Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- President Donald Trump should impose sanctions on Turkey as mandated by US law in response to Ankara's purchase of the Russian S-400 air defence system, the US House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee said on Tuesday.
- Supply of 2nd Stage of S-400 Parts Begins Amid US-Turkey Tensions Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- In July, the Turkish Defence Ministry announced that the delivery of the first batch of Russian S-400 missile defence systems had been completed. In response, the US stopped training Turkish pilots at its bases after Turkey refused to abandon the deal arguing that the deployment of the systems together with F-35s could compromise the project.
- Syrian Kurdish Fighters Begin Pullout From Turkish Border VOA 27 Aug 2019 -- Syrian Kurdish fighters said they have begun withdrawing from areas along the Syria-Turkey border as part of an agreement between the United States and Turkey.
- Russia, Turkey agree to 'normalize' situation in Syria's Idlib Press TV 27 Aug 2019 -- Russia and Turkey agree on measures to "normalize" the situation in the terrorist-infested northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, where the Damascus government's Moscow-backed operations against terrorists have reportedly complicated the unlawful Turkish involvement there.
- Ankara receives 2nd batch of Russian S-400 on Tuesday: Turkish defense minister Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- Turkey's defense minister says the delivery of the second batch of Russian S-400 missile defense systems is scheduled to begin on Tuesday.
- Erdogan Heads to Moscow as Tensions Over Syria Escalate VOA 26 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan heads to Moscow on Tuesday to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin in a bid to bridge the deepening divide over Syria.
- Moscow says militant attacks in Syria's Idlib must be stamped out Press TV 26 Aug 2019 -- The Kremlin says Russian President Vladimir Putin is equally concerned about attacks by foreign-backed militants from Syria's northwestern province of Idlib after his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan alleged that offensives in the province threaten Turkey's national security.
- Putin-Erdogan Talks In Moscow To Focus On Syria RFE/RL 26 Aug 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin is set to meet with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, on August 27 for talks expected to focus of the situation in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syrian Gov't Troops in Khan Sheikhoun Do Not Violate Deals With Turkey - Lavrov Sputnik 26 Aug 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, speaking about the situation in Khan Sheikhoun, said that the Syrian government troops, supported by the Russian Aerospace Forces, did not violate any agreements with Turkey.
- Five Turkish general handed in resignations: Report Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Five generals from the Turkish army have handed in resignations in the wake of a military council meeting earlier this month, opposition newspaper Cumhuriyet said on Sunday.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' dozens of PKK terrorists in Turkey, northern Iraq Press TV 25 Aug 2019 -- Turkish military forces have killed dozens of members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a string of counter-terrorism operations in the eastern part of the country and Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Turkey Launches Pence-3 Operation in Northern Iraq Against Kurdish PKK - Military Sputnik 24 Aug 2019 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry announced on Saturday that it had launched a new operation on Friday dubbed Pence-3 (Claw-3) in northern Iraq targeting members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which it considers a terrorist organisation.
- Erdogan Warns of Crisis as Syrian Offensive Strains Turkish-Russian Ties VOA 23 Aug 2019 -- A Russian-backed Syrian government offensive against the rebel-controlled Idlib enclave is putting Turkey's recent rapprochement with Russia to the test. Ankara, which backs the rebels, is voicing alarm over the attack, warning of a "humanitarian crisis."
- Turkey to host next summit on Syrian peace next month Press TV 22 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will host Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani for the next Nur-Sultan summit on Syrian peace process in September, the presidential spokesman says.
- Turkey, US agree to launch 1st phase of so-called safe zone plan in northern Syria Press TV 22 Aug 2019 -- Turkey and the United States have reached an agreement to immediately launch the first phase of a so-called safe zone plan in northern Syria, irrespective of the Damascus government's strong opposition that the scheme amounts to "blatant aggression" against Syria's territorial integrity.
- Turkey to Retain Control Over Morek Observation Post Amid Syrian Army's Offensive-Diplomat Sputnik 22 Aug 2019 -- Turkey will maintain its presence at the ninth observation post in the Syrian town of Morek despite the Syrian army regaining control over the city of Khan Sheikhoun, located in the country's northwestern Idlib province, Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.
- Turkish police welcome pro-Kurdish protesters with water cannon Press TV 21 Aug 2019 -- Turkish police have dispersed scores of people who tried to stage a protest against the sacking of three Kurdish mayors after they won large majorities in March local elections.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper's Phone Call With Turkish Minister of National Defense Hulusi Akar DoD 21 Aug 2019
- Turkey, US Discussing Joint Patrolling of Safe Zone in Northern Syria Sputnik 22 Aug 2019 -- Turkey and the United States are discussing the joint patrolling of the safe zone in northern Syria, which is expected to start in the upcoming weeks, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said Wednesday.
- US, Turkey must end illegal military presence on Syria soil: Damascus envoy to UN Press TV 21 Aug 2019 -- Syria's UN Ambassador Bashar al-Ja'afari has called on the United States and Turkey to end their "illegal military presence" in the Arab country and crimes against civilians.
- Turkey provides clear, support to terrorists in Syria's Idlib: Assad Press TV 20 Aug 2019 -- President Bashar al-Assad has censured Turkey over sending a military convoy to Syria's embattled northwestern province of Idlib, stressing that the move clearly shows that the Ankara government is offering generous support to Takfiri terrorists who have lost ground amid government forces' push to retake the last militant-held area in the country.
- Turkey to Prevent US From Turning Safe Zone in Northern Syria Into Second Manbij – Ankara Sputnik 20 Aug 2019 -- Turkey will not allow the United States to impede talks on establishing safe zones in northern Syria, as was the case with the Syrian region of Manbij, where Washington did not keep its commitments to Ankara, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said.
- Turkey Was Notified Attacks by Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham in Syria's Idlib Would be Crushed - Lavrov Sputnik 20 Aug 2019 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry said a day earlier that three civilians had been killed and 12 more had been injured in an attack on its convoy moving toward an observatory point in Idlib Province.
- Key Kurdish Mayors Expelled as Turkey's Erdogan Increases Pressure on pro-Kurdish Movement VOA 19 Aug 2019 -- Turkish authorities have expelled the mayors of the three main cities in the predominantly Kurdish southeast, provoking protests and political condemnation. Their expulsion comes as Turkish forces are poised to launch a military operation against Syrian Kurdish militants.
- Syria: Turkish convoy enters Syria's Idlib to help militants as army advances Press TV 19 Aug 2019 -- Damascus says a Turkish convoy carrying munitions have entered northwest Syria to help Takfiri militants who are losing territory amid advances by Syrian troops.
- Turkish Defence Ministry Says Airstrike on Military Convoy in Idlib Kills 3 Civilians - Report Sputnik 19 Aug 2019 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry said that three civilians were killed and 12 more were injured on Monday as an airstrike hit a convoy of the Turkish Armed Forces moving toward an observatory point in Syria's northwestern Idlib province.
- Damascus Claims Turkish Army Convoy Moving Towards Key Syrian Town - Reports Sputnik 19 Aug 2019 -- A Turkish convoy has already crossed into the Syrian town of Saraqib, located in the country's northwestern province of Idlib, according to state media. There has been no immediate comment from Ankara.
- Syria Fighter Jets Target Turkish Convoy in Syrian Territory VOA 19 Aug 2019 -- Syrian fighter jets targeted at least one Turkish military convoy that had crossed into Syria Monday, causing a number of casualties.
- Turkey-US center for Syria safe zone to start work next week: Turkish defense minister Press TV 17 Aug 2019 -- Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar says a Turkish-US operation center for a so-called safe zone in northeastern Syria, where US-sponsored Kurdish militants are operating, will be fully operational next week.
- Two Turkish Surveillance Planes Allegedly Violate Greece's Airspace - Reports Sputnik 16 Aug 2019 -- Two Turkish CN-235 surveillance planes entered Greece's airspace over the Aegean Sea amid ongoing tensions between Ankara and Athens over Turkey's drilling operations off Cyprus' coast, local media reported, citing defence sources.
- Haftar's Forces Say Hit Hangar With Turkish Drones in Western Libya Sputnik 16 Aug 2019 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar on Friday struck a hangar with Turkish drones and ammunition near the town of Abu Kammash in the west of the country, according to the media center of the LNA's Karama Operations Room.
- Ankara won't tolerate any US delay over northern Syria safe zone: Turkish FM Press TV 15 Aug 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says his country will not tolerate any US delay in setting up a so-called safe zone in northern Syria, where US-sponsored Kurdish militants are operating.
- Turkish Foreign Minister Denies Expulsion From US F-35 Program Over S-400 Deal With Russia Sputnik 15 Aug 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu denied on Thursday that his country was on its way out of the United States' F-35 fighter jet program following a spat over Russian missile purchases.
- Turkey set to open new military base in Qatar: Report Press TV 15 Aug 2019 -- Turkey is reportedly expected to inaugurate a new military base in Qatar in autumn as the two countries forge closer relations amid a Saudi-led blockade on Doha.
- Turkey Building Second Base in Qatar Amid Gulf Tensions - Reports Sputnik 14 Aug 2019 -- Turkey established its first military base in Qatar in 2017, on the basis of a bilateral security agreement signed in late 2015, with the base said to be part of a broader security effort by the two countries to confront unspecified "common enemies."
- US team begins establishing op center in Turkey for 'safe zone' in Syria Press TV 12 Aug 2019 -- A US delegation has arrived in Turkey to set up an operation center in the country for the stated purpose of creating a "safe zone" in Syria.
- Turkey to Receive Second Batch of Russia's S-400 Systems in August-September Sputnik 12 Aug 2019 -- Turkey will receive elements of the second batch of Russia's S-400 air defence systems in August-September, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Monday.
- Turkish Military Confirms Arrival of 6 US Servicemen for Creation of Safe Zone in Syria Sputnik 12 Aug 2019 -- Earlier on Monday, the Haberturk broadcaster said 90 US military personnel had arrived in the province of Sanliurfa and had been delivered to the centre's premises in the town of Akcakale on the border with Syria. US troops were flown to Turkey's Sanliurfa Province and taken to the border city of Akcakale, the channel said.
- Turkey Expects Steps From US on Expansion of Safe Zone in Syria's North Sputnik 12 Aug 2019 -- Turkey insists that the width of the safe zone in Syria's north should amount to 30-40 kilometres (18.6-24.8 miles) and is waiting for Washington's steps, Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said on Monday.
- Turkey mulling purchase of Russian Su-35 jets: Turkish daily Press TV 11 Aug 2019 -- Turkey is reportedly considering the possible purchase of Russian Su-35 fighter jets after Washington suspended Ankara's membership in its F-35 program.
- Turkish and Greek Cypriot leaders ready for talks with UN chief on improved relations UN News 09 Aug 2019 -- Leaders of the Greek and Turkish parts of the divided island of Cyprus have agreed to meet with the UN Secretary-General, António Guterres, in order to "plan the way forward", and improve the daily lives of all Cypriots, a statement from the UN Mission in Cyprus, declared on Friday.
- Ammunition Depot in Southern Turkey Near Syrian Border Hit by Explosions - Reports Sputnik 09 Aug 2019 -- Several blasts have hit a weapons depot in the southern Turkish town of Reyhanli, located in Hatay Province close to the Syrian border, NTV reported on Friday.
- Turkish Airstrikes Against PKK Not Coordinated With Baghdad - Iraqi Lawmaker Sputnik 08 Aug 2019 -- Turkey's operations in northern Iraq against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) are not coordinated with Baghdad, Sarkawt Shamsulddin, a member of the Iraqi Council of Representatives said.
- US Congress Wants to Force Trump to Slap Sanctions on Turkey Over Purchase of Russian S-400 – Report Sputnik 07 Aug 2019 -- Earlier, US President Donald Trump said that the White House is still "looking at" the possibility of slapping sanctions on Turkey over its purchase of the Russian missile systems S-400, in line with the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).
- Turkey, US Progress on Joint 'Safe Zone' in Northern Syria VOA 07 Aug 2019 -- Turkey and the United States appeared to be inching closer Wednesday to establishing a purported safe zone in Syria, administered by a planned joint operations center. The area would be a "peace corridor," the countries wrote in joint statements, aimed at helping "our displaced Syrian brothers to return to their country."
- US, Turkey agree to form joint operation center for Syria safe zone Press TV 07 Aug 2019 -- Turkey and the United States have reached an agreement on the establishment of a joint operation center in the northern part of Syria, in the wake of Ankara's threats to launch an operation against the US-sponsored Kurdish militants to push them away from the Turkish border.
- Turkey, US Agreed on Joint Centre to Coordinate Syria Safe Zone - Defence Ministry Sputnik 07 Aug 2019 -- Turkey and the United States agreed to establish a centre to coordinate joint operations and the formation of a safe zone in Syria, the Turkish Defence Ministry said in a statement Wednesday.
- Erdogan says Turkey will launch new operation in Syria 'very soon' Press TV 06 Aug 2019 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will "soon" act to renew its military involvement in northern Syria to push back US-backed Kurdish militants, whom it associates with anti-Ankara terrorists.
- Erdogan: No Evidence to US Claim That Russian S-400 Systems Will Harm F-35 Jets or NATO Sputnik 06 Aug 2019 -- Relations between the US and its Turkish allies sunk to new lows after Washington announced that it would drop Ankara from the F-35 programme and consider slapping the country with sanctions over its purchase of Russian-made S-400 air defence systems.
- Erdogan Mulls Op in Syria 'Very Soon' as Pentagon Warns Turkey Against 'Unilateral Action' Sputnik 06 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan previously notified the United States about Turkey's intention to launch an operation in Syria east of the Euphrates River, currently controlled by self-defence forces consisting mainly of Kurdish-led militants.
- Can Turkey Be a Trusted NATO Partner? VOA 06 Aug 2019 -- Can Turkey be reeled back in as a trusted NATO partner? A growing chorus of policy-makers and foreign-policy analysts fear it can't.
- Saudi crown prince pursuing plan to target Turkey, weaken Erdogan: UAE document Press TV 06 Aug 2019 -- A leaked UAE intelligence document shows Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been pursuing a "strategic plan" aimed at weakening the government of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has adopted a tough position against Riyadh over the state-sponsored assassination of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- US Says Any Uncoordinated Operation by Turkey in Syria to Erode Shared Security Interest Sputnik 06 Aug 2019 -- The United States is concerned that any uncoordinated military operation by Turkey in Syria may undermine Ankara's shared security interest with Washington, US Department of State spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said.
- Turkey calls on US to end support for Kurdish militants in northern Syria Press TV 05 Aug 2019 -- Turkey has strongly called on the United States to stop supporting a Kurdish militant group in northern Syria as Ankara and Washington held their latest round of talks on the issue aimed at preventing a fresh Turkish cross-border invasion into the Arab country.
- Kurdish Leader: Turkish Offensive Will Help Re-Emergence of IS in Syria VOA 05 Aug 2019 -- As tensions between Turkey and Syrian Kurds increase, the United States seeks to play a mediating role in order to keep the focus on combating the remnants of the Islamic State (IS) terror group, a senior Syrian-Kurdish official said.
- Turkey to carry out operation in northern Syria: Erdogan Press TV 04 Aug 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's troops will launch an offensive in an area controlled by US-backed Kurdish militants in northern Syria and that Ankara has already notified the United States and Russia of the operation.
- Erdogan: Turkey Will Carry Out Operation in Syria East of Euphrates Sputnik 04 Aug 2019 -- Turkey will launch an operation in Syria in the east of the Euphrates River, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, adding that Ankara already notified Russia and the United States about its plans.
- Censorship Feared Under Turkey's New Rules for Online Broadcasts VOA 03 Aug 2019 -- Turkish media freedom advocates are raising alarms about newly announced government powers to license, inspect and possibly censor online broadcasts in the country.
- Israel Reportedly Pressured US to Boot Out Turkey From F-35 Programme Sputnik 01 Aug 2019 -- The report comes as Turkish defence officials warned that the United States "has no legal basis" for excluding Ankara from the F-35 programme since Washington froze the delivery of the fighter jets over Turkey's acquisition of Russia-made S-400 air defences.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list