Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2019 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Turkey vows 'heavy price' in case of any aggression by Libya's Haftar Press TV 30 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar says Ankara will retaliate against any attack by militia fighting for renegade Libyan General Khalifa Haftar, who has ordered to target Turkish interests in Libya.
- Baghdad Says Turkey Launched Airstrikes on Iraq's Northern Province Killing 4 People Sputnik 30 Jun 2019 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry on Saturday said in a statement that it condemns bombings of the northern Iraq's province of Sulaymaniyah by the Turkish Armed Forces that resulted in four people have been killed and four others have been wounded.
- No delays in Russian S-400 missiles delivery to Turkey: Erdogan Global Times 30 Jun 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday that there have been no delays in the delivery of Russian S-400 air defense missiles to his country.
- Remarks by President Trump and President Erdogan of Turkey Before Bilateral Meeting | Osaka, Japan The White House 29 Jun 2019
- Donald Trump: S400-F35 tension between US, Turkey Obama's fault, not Ankara's Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump says the current tension over Turkey's purchase of Russian-built S-400 air defense missile systems and US F-35 stealth warplanes is former American President Barack Obama's fault, not Ankara's.
- Trump tells Erdogan S-400 deal with Russia is a 'problem' Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has told his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan that Ankara's contract with Russia to purchase S-400 missile systems is a "problem" that gets in the way of expanding ties between the two NATO allies, as Turkey approaches the US deadline for either ditching the deal or facing punishments.
- Trump, Erdogan Make No Progress On S-400 Standoff RFE/RL 29 Jun 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has met with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, to urge him not to proceed with the purchase of Russia's advanced S-400 ground-to-air defense system.
- Trump Admits US Treated Turkey 'Unfairly' Amid Row Over Russia's S-400 Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Relations between the NATO allies deteriorated sharply amid Washington's threats to sanction Ankara over its purchase of Russian air defence systems and to renege on its agreement to sell the country Lockheed F-35 warplanes.
- Russian-Turkish S-400 Contract Envisions Partial Technology Transfer - Kremlin Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The contract for delivering Russia's S-400 air defence systems to Turkey envisions partial technology transfer, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov confirmed on Saturday.
- Turkey's Erdogan Expects US F-35 Jets Despite Missile Row Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday, Turkey expected US F-35 stealth fighter jets to be delivered as Ankara had paid for them.
- Process of Russian S-400 Systems Delivery to Turkey Underway Without Delays - Erdogan Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The process of delivery of Russian S-400 missile systems to Turkey is ongoing without any delays, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday, adding that the bilateral agreement on joint missile building and transfer of technologies was very important for Ankara.
- Haftar Threatens to Target Turkish Ships, Assets in Libya - Reports Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- Earlier in the week, forces loyal to the Government of National Accord (GNA) announced that they had managed to break up Haftar's months-long advancement towards Tripoli and recapture the town of Gharyan.
- Libyan National Army Says Closed Skies for Tripoli-Bound Turkish Civilian Planes Sputnik 29 Jun 2019 -- The eastern Libyan National Army (LNA) has been ordered to close the country's skies for Tripoli-bound Turkish civilian planes, the LNA spokesman, Ahmed Mismari, said, accusing Turkey of supporting the forces loyal to the western Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Haftar orders forces to attack Turkish ships, interests in Libya Press TV 29 Jun 2019 -- Libya's strongman Khalifa Haftar has ordered his forces to attack Turkish ships and interests in the North African state, his spokesman said Friday, accusing Ankara of supporting Haftar's rivals in the Libyan conflict.
- Turkey Moving Special Forces, Military Equipment to Syrian Border - Reports Sputnik 28 Jun 2019 -- Turkey is moving special forces and military equipment to its border with Syria, the Anadolu news agency reported on Friday, after Turkish forces shelled the Syrian army's positions in Idlib.
- Turkey Launches Strike on Positions in Syria - Reports Sputnik 28 Jun 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Ikhbariya broadcaster reported that the Turkish military had fired 18 mortars on the villages in Syria's Hama province from the south of Idlib.
- Turkish Forces Shell Villages in Syria's Hama Province From Idlib - Reports Sputnik 28 Jun 2019 -- The Turkish military has attacked villages in the northwest of Syria's Hama province from the neighbouring Idlib province in the early hours of Friday, local media reported.
- Erdogan Seeks Out Trump to End Dispute on Russian Missile System VOA 27 Jun 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is looking forward to a meeting with President Donald Trump to end the escalating crisis over Ankara's procurement of Russia's S-400 missile system. The expected meeting on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in Osaka, Japan, is seen as the last chance to avoid a rupture in ties between the NATO allies.
- Russia to Complete Delivery of S-400 Systems to Turkey by Year-End - FSMTC Sputnik 26 Jun 2019 -- The supply of Russia's S-400 air defence missile systems to Turkey and the training of Turkish specialists are to be completed by the end of the year, spokeswoman for the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) Maria Vorovyova told reporters Wednesday.
- US Threatens Turkey With Economic Pain Ahead of Russian S-400 Delivery – Reports Sputnik 26 Jun 2019 -- The United States has been relentlessly trying to talk Turkey out of buying Russian anti-aircraft missile systems, but Ankara has so far been determined to go ahead with the purchase, even though it could jeopardise the Turkish-US F-35 programme and result in Washington slapping sanctions on the country.
- Opposition Victory Shows Turkey Still Capable of Competitive Elections VOA 24 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's opposition victory in the Istanbul mayoral election was officially ratified Monday, with analysts saying it shows the country is still capable of having competitive elections.
- Turkey will lose F-35 warplanes if S-400 deal goes ahead: US NATO envoy Press TV 25 Jun 2019 -- The United States Ambassador to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Kay Bailey Hutchison, says her country will stop Turkish forces flying and developing F-35 stealth fighter jets in case Turkey presses ahead with its plans to acquire advanced Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems.
- Turkey unfazed by US sanctions threats over S-400 deal: Cavusoglu Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Ankara does not fear US sanctions over its decision to acquire advanced S-400 missile defense systems, adding that his country is discussing a delivery date with Russia.
- Turkey puts 16 public figures on trial for 2013 anti-government protests Press TV 24 Jun 2019 -- Turkey has put on trial 16 high-profile figures accused of involvement in acts of "terror" and trying to overthrow the government of then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in 2013 nationwide protests.
- Turkey Says US Crackdown on Ankara Over S-400s Finds Little Support Among F-35 Programme Partners Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- Washington has been pressuring Ankara into abandoning the S-400 deal with Russia by threatening to stop deliveries of F-35 jets, despite Turkey's contribution to the project's funding and development. The US claims that the Russian air defence system can render the jet's stealth capabilities useless by passing data on it to Moscow.
- Erdogan Congratulates Opposition Candidate Imamoglu After Istanbul Mayoral Victory Sputnik 24 Jun 2019 -- In May, Ekrem Imamoglu won mayoral elections in Istanbul, but rival Binali Yildirim contested the results, and a new round was scheduled for 23 June. Following the second vote, Imamoglu won by an even larger margin.
- Opposition candidate leads in Istanbul's mayoral vote: Early results Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Early results from the re-run of Istanbul's mayoral election shows that Ekrem Imamoglu, from Turkey's Republican People's Party (CHP), has defeated Binali Yildirim, from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's ruling AK Party.
- Opposition Candidate Wins Istanbul Mayoral Seat VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's opposition won decisively in the controversial re-vote in the Istanbul mayoral election. The victory is a significant defeat for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who lost his Istanbul power base of 25 years.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' 58 Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq: Defense Ministry Press TV 23 Jun 2019 -- Turkish security forces have "neutralized" nearly 60 members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in a string of artillery strikes and air raids followed by operations by commando brigades in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Istanbul Votes Again in Key Ballot VOA 23 Jun 2019 -- Residents of Turkey's largest city, Istanbul, voted again after the opposition's historic victory ending 25 years of dominance by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was annulled.
- Istanbul Goes Back to Polls in Critical Vote VOA 22 Jun 2019 -- Istanbul votes again in a mayoral election Sunday, after authorities voided an opposition victory in March that ended 15 years of control by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's AKP Party.
- Iran, Turkey sign document to enhance strategic cooperation Press TV 21 Jun 2019 -- Iran and Turkey have signed a document to enhance their mutual strategic partnership as Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu visited the country.
- Erdogan says Russian S-400 'a done deal', warns US of retaliation Press TV 20 Jun 2019 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said Turkey's purchase of advanced Russian-built S-400 air defense missile systems is "a done deal", warning that Ankara will retaliate if the Washington imposes sanctions over the purchase.
- Turkish court gives aggravated life sentences to 24 over 2016 botched putsch Press TV 20 Jun 2019 -- A court in Turkey has handed down aggravated life sentences to 24 people, including senior military officers, on charges of involvement in the failed July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- US Considering Sanctions Against Turkey Over Russian S-400 Purchase - State Dept Sputnik 20 Jun 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Сavusoglu stated last week that Turkey will retaliate if the United States introduces sanctions over Ankara's purchase of Russian S-400 air defence systems.
- Erdogan on F-35: Turkey Threatens to Appeal to Int'l Court if US Backtracks on 'Done Deal' Sputnik 20 Jun 2019 -- Washington has been pressuring Ankara into withdrawing from its $2.5 billion agreement to purchase Russian anti-air missile systems, but Turkey has refused to bow to US threats that its NATO partner will incur sanctions and be kicked out of the F-35 programme.
- 151 Life Sentences Handed Down at Turkey Coup Trial VOA 20 Jun 2019 -- A Turkish court sentenced 151 people to life in prison on Thursday in a trial over a 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Among those sentenced were 17 senior military officials.
- US considers three sanctions packages on Turkey over Russian S-400 systems Press TV 19 Jun 2019 -- US President Donald Trump's administration is weighing three packages of sanctions against Turkey over Ankara's decision to acquire advanced Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems.
- US Weighing Three Sets of Sanctions Against Turkey Over S-400 Purchase - Reports Sputnik 19 Jun 2019 -- The United States is weighing three packages of sanctions against Turkey over purchasing Russian S-400 air defense systems, media reported Wednesday.
- UN Chief Calls On Russia, Turkey To Stabilize Syria's Idlib Province RFE/RL 19 Jun 2019 -- United Nations chief Antonio Guterres has called on Russia and Turkey to stabilize Syria's rebel-held Idlib Province, which he says is suffering "a humanitarian disaster."
- Council of EU Threatens Turkey With Response Measures Over Drilling Off Cyprus Coast Sputnik 18 Jun 2019 -- The Council of the European Union on Tuesday called upon Turkey to respect the rights of Cyprus in connection with Ankara's drilling for energy reserves off the island's coast and instructed the European Commission and other bodies to immediately submit response options.
- Turkey issues arrest warrants for 128 military personnel over alleged Gulen ties Press TV 18 Jun 2019 -- Turkey has ordered the arrest of 128 military personnel suspected of supporting US-based opposition figure Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara blames for the failed 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Syria does not want fighting with Turkey: Muallem Press TV 18 Jun 2019 -- Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem says Damascus does after any conflict with Ankara after Turkish and Syrian government forces reportedly exchanged fire in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, the last major bastion of terrorists in the Arab country.
- Turkey Unveils New Fifth-Generation Jet TF-X, Indigenous Alternative to F-35 Sputnik 18 Jun 2019 -- Just as Turkey lost access to Lockheed Martin's F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, Turkish Aerospace Industries unveiled a model of its indigenously designed fifth-generation fighter jet, dubbed the TF-X, at the Paris Air Show on Monday.
- Erdogan Dismisses Athens' EU Sanctions Threat over Cyprus VOA 17 Jun 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is dismissing threats of European Union sanctions as tensions escalate over disputed energy rights on the divided island of Cyprus. The dispute threatens to further isolate Ankara, which is already facing a major crisis with Washington.
- Turkish, Russian Defence Ministers Reaffirm Commitment to Syria Agreements - Statement Sputnik 18 Jun 2019 -- Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar held phone talks with Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu on Monday in which the ministers reaffirmed their two countries' commitment to the agreements reached in Sochi and during the Astana process on the deescalation of violence in Syria, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said.
- Turkey's Erdogan: Russian S-400 systems to arrive in July Press TV 16 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's president says advanced Russian S-400 missile defense systems will begin arriving in the country in July, despite threats by the United States over the defense exchange.
- Turkey Brushes off Attempts to Influence Its Foreign Policy Amid S-400 Row With US Sputnik 16 Jun 2019 -- Washington has been trying to convince Ankara to ditch its deal with Moscow since it was signed in 2017, threatening to block the delivery of F-35 jets and to impose sanctions against the country.
- S-400 Deliveries to Turkey May Begin in 1st Half of July - Erdogan Sputnik 16 Jun 2019 -- Russian S-400 air defence systems may start being delivered to Turkey in the first half of July, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told CNN Turk on Sunday.
- Erdogan's AKP Eyes Kurds to Reverse Istanbul Electoral VOA 14 Jun 2019 -- With Turkey's mayoral rerun election on June 23 looming, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's ruling AKP is eyeing the Kurdish vote, as speculation rises about a resumption in peace talks with Kurdish rebels.
- Turkey 'to reciprocate if US imposes sanctions over S-400' Press TV 14 Jun 2019 -- Turkey has warned that "reciprocal steps" will be taken if the United States imposes sanctions on Ankara over its purchase of Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems.
- Turkey Threatens To Retaliate Against Any U.S. Sanctions Over Missile Deal With Russia RFE/RL 14 Jun 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has said that Ankara will retaliate against any possible sanctions imposed by Washington over Turkey's deal to buy the S-400 surface-to-air defense missile system from Russia.
- German and French Positions at Odds Over Turkey's Purchase of Russian S-400 Systems Sputnik 14 Jun 2019 -- The Turkish foreign minister recently blasted US attempts to impose an ultimatum on Turkey over its S-400 purchase, noting that no foreign state has the right to tell Ankara what it should or shouldn't do.
- If US Introduces Sanctions Against Turkey Over S-400 Deal, Ankara Will Retaliate – Foreign Minister Sputnik 14 Jun 2019 -- Tensions between Turkey and the United States have reached a fever pitch in recent months over Ankara's decision to go ahead with the purchase of Russian-built air defence systems, which Washington claims will jeopardise its NATO ally's role in the F-35 fighter jet programme, possibly prompting sanctions.
- Turkey's President Turns up Heat on Cyprus, Stoking Fears of Clash VOA 13 Jun 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has ratcheted up tensions in the eastern Mediterranean, declaring he will do whatever is necessary to protect Turkey's interests over energy exploration rights in Cypriot waters.
- Turkey will not back down on plans to obtain Russian S-400 missile systems: FM Press TV 13 Jun 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says his country will not back down from its decision to buy advanced Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems, rejecting any ultimatums on the issue despite US warnings that it will lead to Ankara's exclusion from the F-35 fighter jet program.
- Erdogan: Contract on Russian S-400 'a done deal' Press TV 13 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's contract with Russia over the purchase of the Russian S-400 missile systems is a "done deal," Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says, once again rejecting US warnings not to go ahead with the purchase.
- Turkey Slams Pentagon's Ultimatum on S-400s, Refuses to Reverse Decision Sputnik 13 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, the Pentagon grounded Turkish pilots training aboard the F-35 and threatened to block deliveries of the advanced fighter jet to Turkey, while Congress proposed slapping sanctions on Ankara over its purchase of a Russian-made air defence system.
- Turkey Slams US for Leaking Pentagon Letter on S-400 Deal - Presidential Spokesman Sputnik 14 Jun 2019 -- Turkey condemns the leaking by Washington of a letter by US Acting Secretary of Defence sent to Turkish Defence Minister that contains threats to remove Turkey from the F-35 pilot training program over Ankara's plans to buy the Russian S-400 missile systems, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said on Thursday.
- Turkey disputes Russia on Idlib truce after post attacked Press TV 13 Jun 2019 -- Turkey has denied Russian assertions that a ceasefire had been put in place in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib and demanded Russia restore calm in the last major bastion of foreign-backed terrorists.
- Russia, Turkey broker ceasefire in Syria's embattled Idlib Press TV 13 Jun 2019 -- Russia and Turkey have brokered a full ceasefire agreement in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib aimed at halting clashes between government forces and militants in the area, the last major bastion of foreign-backed terrorists in the Arab country.
- US Working to Approve Poland's Request for F-35s Amid Turkey Fighter Row Sputnik 12 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, a source told Sputnik's sister agency that Warsaw has been closely monitoring the F-35 spat between Washington and Ankara, hoping to jump the queue if Turkey is dropped out of the program.
- Shortening of F-35 pilot training program not in line with Washington-Ankara alliance: Turkish DM Press TV 12 Jun 2019 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has criticized Washington for its recent decision to halt the training of Turkish pilots on F-35 stealth fighter jets at an airbase in the US state of Arizona over Ankara's plans to buy advanced Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems, stating that the measure is against "the spirit of alliance.”
- Turkish Defence Minister Says US Letter on S-400 Deal Contradicts Spirit of Alliance Sputnik 12 Jun 2019 -- kish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Saturday that US threats to remove his country from the F-35 pilot training program over Ankara's plans to buy the Russian S-400 missile systems were not in the spirit of the alliance.
- US-Turkey Tensions Escalate Over Russian Missiles VOA 12 Jun 2019 -- Turkey's Defense Minister Hulusi Akar dismissed the Pentagon's latest warning over Ankara's imminent procurement of Russian missiles on Thursday as "language unbecoming of an ally."
- Turkey condemns US Congress resolution on purchase of Russian S-400 systems Press TV 11 Jun 2019 -- Turkey has condemned as "unacceptably threatening" a US House of Representatives resolution that slammed Ankara's purchase of advanced Russian-built S-400 air defense missile systems and urged sanctions on Washington's NATO ally over the acquisition of the military hardware.
- Turkish F-35 pilots no longer flying at US base: Pentagon Press TV 11 Jun 2019 -- The United States has grounded Turkish F-35 pilots in Arizona over Ankara's plans to buy Russia's S-400 air defense system, according to a Pentagon spokesman.
- Russia Plans To Deliver S-400 Missiles To Turkey In July, Says Kremlin Aide RFE/RL 11 Jun 2019 -- Russia said on June 11 that it plans to deliver its S-400 missile defense systems to Turkey in July, just days after Washington gave Ankara a deadline of July 31 to reverse the purchase or face the loss of subcontracting work on the U.S.-led F-35 fighter-jet project.
- Russia Will Comply With All Requirements for S-400 Deal With Turkey - Moscow Sputnik 11 Jun 2019 -- Earlier this month, acting US Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan formally notified Ankara that it would not be allowed to receive the F-35 fighter jets it had already purchased if it went ahead with the S-400 deal.
- Turkey Slams 'Unacceptable' US Bill Demanding Sanctions Over Purchase of Russia's S-400s Sputnik 11 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, Pentagon officials confirmed that Turkish pilots had been grounded from flight training aboard F-35 fighter jets at an Air Force base in Arizona, with Washington threatening to withhold deliveries of the fifth-gen aircraft if Ankara does not back out of its commitment to buy the Russian-made S-400 air defence system.
- US taking no step to create S-400 working group: Turkey Press TV 10 Jun 2019 -- A senior Turkish official says the United States has not moved to create a joint working group to discuss Ankara's pending procurement of Russian S-400 missile defense systems.
- Turkey Has 'Plans B, C, D' to Replace F-35 With Su-57, J-31 if US Blocks Delivery – Report Sputnik 10 Jun 2019 -- The US has threatened to strip Turkey of its participation in the F-35 program, and promised that it would not deliver the advanced new fighter jet to Ankara unless it pulls out of its S-400 air defence system deal with Russia.
- US Hasn't Responded to Turkey's Offer to Create Working Group on S-400s - Defence Industry Chief Sputnik 10 Jun 2019 -- Washington has repeatedly expressed its concerns over Ankara's decision to purchase Russia's S-400 air defence system, suggesting the platform would pose a threat to US and NATO systems, including the F-35 fifth-generation stealth fighter.
- Turkish Pilots Grounded From F-35 Training in Arizona - Report Sputnik 11 Jun 2019 -- Turkish pilots will no longer be training to fly F-35 Joint Strike Fighters at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona, Pentagon officials said Monday afternoon. It's part of the continuing fallout from Washington's dispute with Ankara over the latter's decision to buy S-400 air defense systems from Russia.
- Security forces neutralize 'wanted' PKK terrorist in southeastern Turkey Press TV 09 Jun 2019 -- Turkish security forces have killed a prominent member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a counter-terrorism operation in the country's Kurdish-populated southeastern province of Diyarbakir.
- 'US Institutions Don't Take Into Account Trump-Erdogan Agreements' Over Russia S-400 Deal - Report Sputnik 09 Jun 2019 -- Tensions between the United States and Turkey have further escalated in recent months, with Ankara set to begin receiving potent and highly sophisticated Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems next month.
- Turkey, Azerbaijan launch joint military drill in Nakhchivan region Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Turkey and Azerbaijan have launched a joint military drill in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, a landlocked exclave of Azerbaijan, with the aim of developing the armies' coordination and ability to carry out joint operations, Azerbaijani Defense Ministry says.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' 43 Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq: Turkey Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Turkish military forces have "neutralized" dozens of members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group following a string of artillery and airstrikes followed by operations by commando brigades in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region
- US begins "unwinding" Turkey from F-35 program over S-400 deal with Russia Global Times 08 Jun 2019 -- US Department of Defense announced on Friday that it began "unwinding" Turkey from the F-35 program, while Ankara showed no sign of backing off from its purchase of the Russian-made S-400 air defense system.
- U.S. Gives Turkey July 31 Deadline To Abandon Russian Missile Deal RFE/RL 08 Jun 2019 -- The United States has given Turkey a deadline of July 31 to reverse its purchase of a Russian missile-defense system or face the loss of subcontracting work on the U.S.-led F-35 fighter jet project.
- Iran-Turkey ties key to Mideast stability, security: Rouhani Press TV 08 Jun 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says Iran and Turkey are two "powerful and influential" countries in the Muslim world, adding that expansion of mutual relations will play a leading role in promoting stability and security in the Middle East.
- Department of Defense Off-Camera Press Briefing on Turkey's Participation in the F-35 Program DoD 07 Jun 2019 -- Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment Ellen M. Lord and Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for European and NATO Policy Andrew Winternitz
- US stops accepting new Turkish pilots to train on F-35 fighter jets Press TV 07 Jun 2019 -- The United States says it has no plans for the time being to accept any additional Turkish pilots to train on F-35 fighter jets as part of a planned program between the two countries.
- US Stops Accepting New Turkish Pilots to Train on F-35 Fighter Jets - Report Sputnik 07 Jun 2019 -- The two NATO allies have disputed for months over Ankara's purchase order for Russia's S-400 air defence systems, which Washington claims could pose a threat to US F-35 fighter jets.
- US Gives Turkey Two Months to Drop S-400 Deal With Russia - Report Sputnik 07 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan has formally informed Turkey that it will not be allowed to buy F-35 fighter jets if it goes ahead with plans to purchase Russian S-400 air defense systems.
- Russia to Start Supplying Turkey with S-400 Air Defenсe Systems in 2 Months - Rostec CEO Sputnik 07 Jun 2019 -- Russia will begin deliveries of advanced S-400 air defence systems to Turkey in two months, Sergey Chemezov, CEO of Rostec state corporation, said.
- S-400 Not Interoperable With NATO Systems, May Exploit F-35 Capabilities - NATO Commander Sputnik 07 Jun 2019 -- Russian S-400 air defence systems are not interoperable with NATO systems and may even attempt to exploit F-35 fighter jets' capabilities, NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe Gen. Tod Wolters said.
- US Claims Russia 'Probes Ways' to Disrupt NATO by Supplying S-400 to Turkey Sputnik 05 Jun 2019 -- Earlier, Washington reportedly gave Ankara until the end of the first week of June to either scrap the S-400 deal with Russia or face penalties, which would include sanctions and the cancelling of the delivery of 100 F-35 jets.
- Turkey won't backtrack from Russian S-400 deal: Erdogan Press TV 04 Jun 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has reaffirmed his country's commitment to an agreement with Moscow to buy Russian S-400 missile defense systems, saying Ankara will not step back from the deal despite US threats of "devastating" consequences.
- No Backtracking On Turkey's S-400 Deal With Russia, Erdogan Says RFE/RL 04 Jun 2019 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will not cancel a deal with Russia to buy an S-400 air-defense system despite pressure from fellow NATO member the United States.
- Erdogan: US Patriot Offer 'Unfortunately Not as Good as S-400s' Sputnik 04 Jun 2019 -- Last week, the Pentagon reiterated its concerns over Ankara's purchase of the Russian-made S-400 air defence system, with a senior DoD official saying the completion of the S-400 deal would be "devastating, not only to the F-35 programme", but for "Turkish interoperability with NATO" as well.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' 141 PKK terrorists in Turkey, northern Iraq in May: Turkey Press TV 03 Jun 2019 -- Turkish military forces have "neutralized" more than a hundred members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group following a string of counter-terrorism operations in the country's southeastern provinces as well as Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region in the month of May.
- Hundreds of Turkish judges, prosecutors want cases heard by Europe's rights court Press TV 03 Jun 2019 -- Over 500 jailed Turkish judges and prosecutors have applied to have their cases heard at Europe's top rights court after their alleged involvement in the July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, which the Ankara government blames on US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen.
- Iran, Turkey to create new financial mechanism ISNA 02 Jun 2019 -- Iran and Turkey are reportedly planning to establish a joint bank to promote trade in the face of the US sanctions campaign against the Islamic Republic.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list