Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2019 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Turkey's procurement of Russian S-400 systems going as planned: Foreign Ministry Press TV 31 May 2019 -- Turkey has dismissed reports alleging that Ankara is considering delay in the delivery of advanced Russian built S-400 air defense missile systems in the wake of US pressure and threats of imposing sanctions over the purchase of the military hardware, emphasizing the plan is going on as planned.
- Pentagon warns Turkey about devastating consequences of buying S-400 Press TV 31 May 2019 -- A top Pentagon official has warned Turkey about devastating consequences of buying advanced Russian made S-400 air defense missile systems.
- Pentagon: Purchase Of Russian Missile System Would Be 'Devastating' For Turkey RFE/RL 31 May 2019 -- A top Pentagon official has again warned Turkey about the consequences of purchasing a missile-defense system from Russia, turning up the pressure despite Ankara's stated determination to go through with the deal.
- US Defence Chief Unaware of Plan to Create Working Group on S-400s With Turkey Sputnik 31 May 2019 -- Ever since Ankara inked an agreement with Russia to buy S-400 defence systems in December 2017, Washington has been pressuring it into abandoning the deal. The US has threatened to halt the delivery of F-35 jets ordered by Turkey and even to boot it out of NATO, if it doesn't follow the demands.
- Pentagon: Turkey's S-400 Acquisition to Be Devastating to F-35 Programme Sputnik 31 May 2019 -- Turkey's deployment of Russian S-400 air defence systems would be devastating for the US F-35 fighter programme, Acting Assistant Secretary of Defence for International Security Affairs Kathryn Wheelbarger said at an event on Thursday.
- Onus is on Turkey to rein in militants in Syria's Idlib, Russia says Press TV 31 May 2019 -- A high-ranking Russian official says Turkey carries the responsibility to stop Takfiri militants stationed in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib from launching attacks and firing projectiles on civilian facilities and Russian targets.
- U.S. warns Turkey against negative consequences of S-400 delivery People's Daily 30 May 2019 -- Turkey would face U.S. sanctions if it completes the delivery of the Russian-made S-400 air defense system, U.S. State Department warned on Wednesday.
- Turkey says airstrikes 'neutralized' 19 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq Press TV 30 May 2019 -- Turkish warplanes and attack helicopters have "neutralized" 19 PKK militants in a string of airstrikes targeting their hideouts in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, Anadolu news agency reports.
- Turkish court gives life sentences to 56 ex-soldiers over 2016 botched putsch Press TV 30 May 2019 -- A court in Turkey has handed down aggravated life sentences to dozens of former soldiers on charges of involvement in the July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, which the Ankara government blames on US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen.
- Hopes Rise on Averting Turkish-US Crisis Over Russian Missiles VOA 30 May 2019 -- Turkey's currency surged Thursday on rising speculation a looming crisis could be averted between Ankara and Washington. The revived optimism follows a telephone conversation between President Donald Trump and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- EU reports further deterioration in Turkey's rights, economy Press TV 29 May 2019 -- The European Commission says Turkey's EU membership bid is slipping further away and talks on the issue will remain frozen due to the country's human rights record and its economic policy.
- US may stop training Turkish pilots to fly F-35 jets over S-400 deal: Sources Press TV 29 May 2019 -- The United States is reportedly considering halting the training of Turkish pilots to fly American F-35 warplanes as Ankara keeps resisting Washington's pressure to ditch a deal to buy Russian S-400 air defense systems.
- Turkey Has Not Received US Ultimatum to Abandon S-400 Deal - Defence Minister Sputnik 29 May 2019 -- Tensions between Turkey and the United States have reached a fever pitch in recent months over Ankara's decision to go ahead with the purchase of Russia-built air defence systems, which Washington claims will jeopardise its NATO ally's role in the F-35 fighter jet programme and could prompt sanctions.
- US Might Suspend Turkish F-35 Pilots Training Over Russia Missile Deal - Reports Sputnik 29 May 2019 -- The United States is reportedly considering suspending training for Turkish pilots on advanced F-35 fighter jets, as Ankara moves ahead with plans to purchase a Russian missile defence system despite objections from Washington.
- Delivery of S-400 systems may be delayed until after June: Turkish DM Press TV 28 May 2019 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar says the delivery of advanced Russian built S-400 air defense missile systems to his country "might be delayed until after June" irrespective of US pressure and threats of imposing sanctions on Ankara over the purchase of the military hardware.
- Turkey 'begins operation against Kurdish militants in Iraq' Press TV 28 May 2019 -- Turkey says it has launched a military operation against Kurdish militants in a mountainous area of northern Iraq.
- Separatist figure jailed in Turkey calls for end to hunger strikes Press TV 26 May 2019 -- A separatist figure jailed in Turkey has called for an end to the hunger strikes staged by a number of Kurdish legislators and prisoners in the country in solidarity with him.
- Turkey Buys Russian S-400s Amid Threat of 'Long-Range Missile' Attack − Minister Sputnik 26 May 2019 -- For over a year now, the United States has been trying to pressure Turkey into cancelling the deal to buy advanced Russian anti-aircraft systems, but Ankara appears willing to honour its commitment regardless.
- Jailed PKK Leader Calls for End to Mass Hunger Strike VOA 26 May 2019 -- Thousands of prisoners in Turkish jails have ended a 200-day-long hunger strike after jailed Kurdish rebel leader Abdullah Ocalan was allowed to see his lawyer for the first time in eight years.
- US Gave Turkey No Official Ultimatum to Ditch S-400 Deal - Turkish Deputy FM Sputnik 23 May 2019 -- Turkish Deputy Foreign Minister Yavuz Selim Kiran has refuted media reports claiming that the United States has given Ankara a two-week ultimatum to terminate its contract on the acquisition of Russian S-400 air defence systems or otherwise face penalties.
- 'Very Negative' Consequences For Turkey If S-400 Deal Takes Place - State Dept Sputnik 23 May 2019 -- Turkey will face very tangible and damaging consequences if Ankara finalizes the purchase of Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile defence systems, US Department of State spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said in a statement.
- Russia denounces US deadline given to Turkey to scrap S-400 deal Press TV 22 May 2019 -- The Kremlin has denounced as "unacceptable" a deadline the United States has reportedly given to Turkey to annul a deal to purchase Russian S-400 missile defense systems or get penalized.
- Turkey says preparing for bans as reported US deadline on Russian S-400 deal looms Press TV 22 May 2019 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar says his country is preparing for potential American sanctions as a deadline reportedly set by the US for Ankara to cancel an arms deal with Russia or face penalties draws near.
- Turkey Preparing For U.S. Sanctions Over Russian Missile Deal RFE/RL 22 May 2019 -- Turkey's defense minister said Ankara was preparing for potential U.S. sanctions over its purchase of Russian S-400 missile defense systems, but also spoke of what he called a growing "rapprochement" with Washington over the issue.
- France Wants to Deploy Air Defence System in Turkey Amid S-400 Spat Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- Turkey had long been looking for a supplier of air defence systems and in December 2017, finally set its gaze on Russia's S-400. However, Ankara's decision stirred the ire of one of its NATO allies - the US.
- Turkey Fulfilling Commitments Under F-35 Fighter Jet Program Despite US Threats Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- Turkey complies with all of its commitments under the trillion-dollar F-35 fighter jet program and expects the United States to do the same, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Wednesday.
- Turkish Troops Learning in Russia to Operate S-400 Despite US Threats - Minister Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- A group of Turkish military personnel has arrived in Russia to learn operating Russian S-400 air defence systems, Turkish Defen?e Minister Hulusi Akar said on Wednesday.
- US Requests Turkey Pull Out of S-400 Deal With Russia by June - Reports Sputnik 22 May 2019 -- The United States is giving Turkey until the end of the first week of June to pull out of its agreement with Russia to purchase the S-400 air defence system or face severe consequences including sanctions, media reported.
- Turkey now eyes Russia's S-500 missile system Press TV 19 May 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country is seeking to acquire the Russian S-500 missile defense system, a more advanced version of the S-400, taking a dispute with the United States up a notch.
- Erdogan Insists Russian Missile Deal Will Go Through, Plans Additional Work With Moscow RFE/RL 19 May 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has again insisted he will go through with the purchase of S-400 defense systems from Russia and will also cooperate with Moscow on producing S-500 systems in the future, despite U.S. pressure against the deals.
- Erdogan Says Russia, Turkey May Discuss Joint Production of S-500 Defence System Sputnik 19 May 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that Ankara and Moscow might launch talks on joint production of Russian-made S-500 air defence systems after the S-400 deliveries.
- U.S. Air Force Chief Says It's Still 'Possible' Turkey May Call Off Russian Missile Purchase RFE/RL 17 May 2019 -- The chief of the U.S. Air Force says it is still "possible" that Turkey will decide against purchasing a Russian missile-defense system, a deal that has angered Washington and many NATO allies.
- Turkey to Stick to S-400 Agreement – Russian Upper House Speaker Sputnik 17 May 2019 -- Turkey confirmed that, despite US pressure, there will be no changes in the agreement with Russia on the supply of Russian S-400 air defence missile systems, Federation Council speaker Valentina Matvienko told reporters Friday after meeting with Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- Ankara Ready to Receive Russian-Made S-400 'Any Moment' - Foreign Minister Sputnik 17 May 2019 -- Turkey is ready to receive the S-400 air defence complexes that it is buying from Russia as soon as Moscow implements the deliveries, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Friday.
- Turkey RULES OUT Russian-Made S-400 Integration With NATO Infrastructure Sputnik 16 May 2019 -- US officials earlier raised concerns that once the Russian system is incorporated into NATO's defence structure, it could gain access to sensitive information, including on the F-35 jets which Turkey has also ordered, and pass this data on to Moscow. These concerns have served as a pretext for Washington to freeze F-35 deliveries to Ankara.
- Turkey Struggles to Balance Ties With US, Russia VOA 16 May 2019 -- Analysts say Turkey is running out of time to balance its relationship with Russia and the United States as Moscow and Washington step up pressure on Ankara over its pending acquisition of Russian missile defense systems.
- U.S. Lawmakers Call On Turkey To Cancel Purchase Of Russian Missile System RFE/RL 15 May 2019 -- A bipartisan group of senior U.S. lawmakers has called on Turkey to cancel its planned purchase of Russia's S-400 missile-defense system, which Western powers say is incompatible with NATO systems and poses a threat to U.S.-made warplanes.
- Turkey-Cyprus Tensions Escalate With Naval Exercise VOA 15 May 2019 -- In a move expected to ratchet up tensions, Turkey is holding a major naval exercise amidst an escalating row over energy exploration rights in Cyprus. The dispute is adding to existing tensions between Turkey and its Western allies.
- Russia's S-400 deal with Turkey being fully implemented, presidential aide says Press TV 15 May 2019 -- A high-ranking Russian official says the implementation of his country's deal to deliver advanced S-400 air defense missile systems to Turkey is in full swing despite US pressure and threats of imposing sanctions on Ankara over the purchase of the military hardware.
- US Introduces Resolution Urging Turkey to Cancel S-400 Purchase or Lose F-35 Sputnik 15 May 2019 -- A newly introduced piece of legislation in the US House of Representatives urges the Turkish government to abandon its plans to purchase the Russian S-400 air and missile defence system or lose the F-35, a bipartisan group of US lawmakers said in a joint news release.
- US Defence Spending Bill Bans Transfer of F-35s to Turkey Due to Russian S-400s Sputnik 14 May 2019 -- US lawmakers have drafted a defence spending bill that would ban the transfer of F-35 fighter jets to Turkey in order to prevent the exposure of the US technology to Russian missile systems, the House Appropriations Committee said.
- US Again Attempting to Stop Delivery of Russian S-400s to Turkey - Report Sputnik 14 May 2019 -- The issue of Turkey, a US NATO ally, buying Russian air defence systems has been straining relations between Washington and Ankara since December 2017, when the deal with Moscow was inked. The US claims that the Russian systems pose a threat to American F-35 jets Ankara is also willing to buy.
- Turkey detains 46 ex-policemen over affiliation to Gulen movement Press TV 13 May 2019 -- Turkish security forces have arrested dozens of former police officers on suspicion of affiliation to a movement led by US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom the Ankara government accuses of having masterminded the July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Turkey Begins Largest Naval Exercises in Three Neighboring Seas Sputnik 13 May 2019 -- Turkey launched its largest naval exercise, dubbed Denizkurdu-2019 (Sea Wolf), on Monday across the three seas it borders, the Turkish Ministry of Defence said.
- Erdogan Fights to Keep Control of Istanbul VOA 13 May 2019 -- Ekrem Imamoglu caused a political earthquake in recent local elections in Turkey when he won the Istanbul mayorship, ending 25 years of domination by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. However, in a controversial move, Turkey's election board annulled the March vote and ordered a re-run. Now the ousted mayor is at the center of a political storm.
- Turkish military servicemen to travel to Russia for S-400 training in late May: Report Press TV 08 May 2019 -- A Russian military source says Turkish military personnel are set to travel to Moscow later this month in order to participate in a training course on the operation of advanced S-400 air defense missile systems.
- Speculation Grows in Turkey After Jailed Kurdish Leader Allowed to See Lawyers VOA 08 May 2019 -- Turkey's surprise move to allow Abdullah Ocalan, the imprisoned leader of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), to meet with his lawyers after an eight-year hiatus is spurring speculation of a shift in Ankara's hard-line policy following the 2015 collapse in peace talks with the rebel group.
- Turkey's election board orders rerun of Istanbul mayoral vote, angers opposition Press TV 07 May 2019 -- Turkey's top election body has scrapped the result of Istanbul's mayoral vote and called for a rerun in response to an appeal filed by the ruling party, sparking outrage from the opposition that narrowly won the post.
- Stoltenberg 'Concerned' About Turkish Plans To Buy Russian Missile System RFE/RL 07 May 2019 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has expressed concern about the potential consequences of Turkey's plans to purchase Russian air-defense missile systems.
- Turkey To Send Troops to Russia for S-400 Training - Turkish Military Source Sputnik 07 May 2019 -- About 100 Turkish servicemen will be sent to Russia in late May to learn how to operate the S-400 air defense systems that Ankara is buying from Moscow, a senior military source in Ankara told Sputnik Tuesday.
- NATO Allies stand with Turkey: Secretary General Stoltenberg NATO 06 May 2019 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked Turkey for its strong contributions to the Alliance and emphasized that NATO stands in solidarity with Turkey in a visit to Ankara on Monday (6 May 2019).
- NATO Chief In Turkey Amid Tensions With U.S. Over Russian Missile System RFE/RL 06 May 2019 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg is visiting Ankara amid a widening rift between alliance members Turkey and the United States over Turkish plans to purchase a Russian missile system.
- Istanbul Mayoral Vote Results Annulled Over Violations – Turkish Ruling Party Sputnik 07 May 2019 -- The Turkish Supreme Electoral Council's decision to void results of the Istanbul mayoral election was made because 22 protocols were not signed and some members of local election commissions were not public servants, Recep Ozel, representative of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) to the council, said on Monday.
- Erdogan Spokesman: Annulled Istanbul Mayoral Vote a 'Victory for Democracy' Sputnik 07 May 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's spokesman said the voiding of the mayoral election in Istanbul amounts to "a victory for Turkish democracy" by ensuring the results reflect the voters' choice, according to AP.
- S-400 Purchase From Russia Conforms With Turkey's 'Sovereignty Rights' - Erdogan Sputnik 06 May 2019 -- Ankara has the right to buy Russian S-400 air defence systems and objects to speculation about this purchase, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday.
- Erdogan Expects NATO Support for Turkey's Rights in Eastern Mediterranean Sputnik 06 May 2019 -- The US and EU earlier expressed concerns over Ankara's announcement about starting drilling operations in the region, which is disputed by Greek Cypriot government as an exclusive economic zone.
- Istanbul Revote Sparks Fears of Political, Economic Chaos VOA 06 May 2019 -- Turkey is set for a revote in the aftermath of the hotly contested mayoral elections in Istanbul.
- Turkey will not give in to US sanctions over S-400 deal with Russia: Vice president Press TV 05 May 2019 -- A senior Turkish official says his country will not bow to US sanctions over its agreement to purchase advanced Russian-built S-400 air defense missile systems.
- Turkey Refuses to Bow to US Sanctions Over S-400 Deal Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- The development comes a day after acting US Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan warned that Washington would cease its manufacturing support for F-35 fighter jets in Turkey if Ankara goes ahead with the purchase of Russian-made S-400 surface-to-air missile defence systems.
- Turkey 'may go into Syria region despite Russia deal' Press TV 05 May 2019 -- Turkey has hinted that it may send in military forces to the Syrian border region of Tel Rifaat despite an agreement with Russia to stay clear of the area.
- Turkey, Russia Discuss Deployment in Syrian Area Controlled by US Allies: Ankara Sputnik 05 May 2019 -- Ankara has repeatedly announced plans to launch a full-scale operation against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), considering them to be a part of the Kurdistan Workers' Party, blacklisted in Turkey as a terror group.
- US will move F-35 work out of Turkey if Ankara buys S-400: Pentagon Press TV 04 May 2019 -- The Pentagon says it will halt manufacturing support for the F-35 fighter jet in Turkey unless Ankara scraps its plan to buy a Russian missile defense system.
- Turkey: Purchase Of Russian Missiles No Reason To Exclude It From F-35 Work RFE/RL 04 May 2019 -- Turkey says its purchase of Russian S-400 missile defense systems is no reason to exclude the country from the U.S.-led F-35 fighter jet project.
- US Issues Ultimate Warning to Turkey Amid Fears S-400 to 'Compromise' NATO Jets Sputnik 04 May 2019 -- The US has repeatedly slammed Turkey for its planned acquisition of Russian-made S-400 missile systems, as Washington claims this could pose a threat to NATO military hardware. The White House also threatened to slap tough sanctions on Ankara, which in turn underscored its commitment to the S-400 deal with Russia.
- Russia 'ready to cooperate' to sell Turkey Su-57 fighter jets: Official Press TV 03 May 2019 -- The chief executive of Russia's state-owned hi-tech industrial development conglomerate, Rostec Corporation, says his country is "ready to cooperate" to sell Turkey Sukhoi Su-57 fighter jets in case Ankara is excluded from the F-35 fighter jet program with the United States.
- Turkey says not moving away from NATO with S-400 deal Press TV 03 May 2019 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar says his country is not distancing itself from the US-led NATO military alliance by acquiring Russian S-400 missile defense systems.
- Russia Ready to Sell Su-57 to Turkey if Ankara Quits F-35 Programme - Rostec CEO Sputnik 03 May 2019 -- US officials have repeatedly threatened to withhold deliveries of F-35 fighter jets and to impose sanctions on Turkey if Ankara moves forward with the delivery of Russian-made S-400 air-defence systems.
- Russia Hails Turkey's Push for S-500s Amid Ankara's Adherence to S-400 Deal Sputnik 03 May 2019 -- In March, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan reiterated Ankara's commitment to its deal with Russia on the purchase of S-400 missile systems, adding that Turkey may subsequently look into buying S-500 systems.
- US Exclusion of Turkey From F-35 Program Over S-400s Would Be Illegal – Minister Sputnik 03 May 2019 -- US officials have repeatedly threatened to withhold deliveries of F-35 fighter jets and to slap Ankara with sanctions if Turkey were to move forward with delivery of its Russian-made S-400 air-defence systems.
- Judicial Probes into Opposition Victories Add Pressure for Istanbul Revote VOA 03 May 2019 -- Turkish prosecutors are carrying out 32 investigations into the narrow opposition victory last month in Istanbul's mayoral election. The investigations come as the ruling AKP intensifies calls for another vote, amid fears of political and economic chaos.
- Damascus won't let Turkey control even one centimeter of Syrian territory: Deputy FM Press TV 03 May 2019 -- Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad says the Damascus government "will not allow Turkey to control even one centimeter of the Syrian territory," stressing that Ankara should know that "Damascus will not accept the survival of militant groups" in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib.
- China, Turkey, India Silent on Buying Iran's Oil as US Ban Begins VOA 03 May 2019 -- Iran's biggest likely remaining oil customers, China, Turkey and India, were silent about purchases of Iranian crude Thursday as a total U.S. ban on such trade took effect, leaving their next moves a mystery.
- Turkey Says Unable To Quickly Diversify Away From Iranian Oil RFE/RL 03 May 2019 -- Turkey says it will not be able to diversify oil imports quickly after the United States ended sanction waivers on purchases from Iran, and Ankara continues to urge Washington to reconsider its decision.
- Pentagon Claims Turkey Won't Get F-35 If S-400 Deal Goes Through Sputnik 02 May 2019 -- US authorities have repeatedly voiced concerns about sensitive tech potentially falling into Russia's hands if Turkey were to simultaneously acquire both F-35 stealth warplanes and S-400 anti-air weapon systems.
- Turkish Government Surveilled US Troops as Part of 2016 Coup Probe - Report Sputnik 01 May 2019 -- The Turkish government secretly investigated and monitored US troops deployed in Turkey as part of the state's larger investigation into the failed 2016 coup attempt, secret documents recently obtained by the Nordic Monitor reveal.
- Russia, Turkey Should Increase Patrols in Syria's Idlib - UN Special Envoy Sputnik 01 May 2019 -- Russia and Turkey should uphold the ceasefire and increase patrolling in Syria's Idlib de-escalation zone, UN Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen said at a Security Council meeting.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list