Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2019 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- US Wants Three Allies to Help Protect Kurds From Turkey - Report Sputnik 31 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that a counterterrorist military operation east of the Euphrates would be conducted soon after the completion of the US pull-out from Syria. However, Washington has voiced concern that Ankara could attack its Kurdish allies in the region, suggesting the creation of a buffer zone in northern Syria.
- Turkey Completes Preparations for Offensive East of Euphrates in Syria - MoD Sputnik 29 Jan 2019 -- The Turkish military has completed their preparations for a military operation in the northern Syrian city of Manbij, and east of the Euphrates River, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said on Tuesday.
- Turkey Warns It's Ready for Strike Against Syrian YPG VOA 29 Jan 2019 -- Turkey claims its military preparations for a cross-border operation into Syria against a Kurdish militia are complete.
- PKK earns $1.5bn annually from drug trade, says Turkish interior minister Press TV 28 Jan 2019 -- Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu says the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group is annually earning more than a billion US dollars from drugs.
- Turkey to set up safe zones in Syria: President Erdogan Press TV 28 Jan 2019 -- Turkey says it will form safe zones in northern Syria so that millions of Syrian refugees hosted by the Ankara government could return to their home country, which is now recovering from nearly eight years of foreign-sponsored militancy.
- UN Khashoggi Investigator Meets With Turkish Officials VOA 28 Jan 2019 -- Turkey's foreign minister met Monday with the U.N. judicial expert investigating the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi as Ankara calls for an international inquiry.
- Damascus Accuses Ankara of Breaching 1998 Agreement - Reports Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan recently recalled the 1998 agreement with Damascus, saying the deal allows Ankara to enter Syria when it is threatened.
- Damascus: Turkey breaching 1998 agreement by 'occupying Syrian territory' Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- The Syrian government has strongly dismissed recent remarks by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan concerning a 1998 agreement between Ankara and Damascus, saying Turkey has been breaching the pact by supporting "terrorism" and occupying Syrian territory since 2011.
- Kurdish Protesters Reportedly Storm Turkish Military Camp in Iraqi Kurdistan Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Residents were quoted by Reuters as saying that protesters were demonstrating against recent Turkish air strikes in the area.
- Turkey's Erdogan Stands Firm With Venezuela's Maduro VOA 25 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is telling his embattled Venezuelan counterpart, Nicolas Maduro, to "stand tall" in the face of national and international calls to step down amid a political crisis.
- Turkey Expects US to Cut Cooperation With YPG in Syria - Defence Minister Sputnik 25 Jan 2019 -- Turkey expects the United States to cut cooperation with the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) and remove the militia from Manbij, the Turkish Defence Ministry said in a statement citing Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar.
- Turkey expects creation of Syria security zone in few months, Erdogan says Press TV 25 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the Ankara government expects a "security zone" to be created in neighboring Syria within a few months as the United States withdraws its troops from the war-torn Arab country.
- Turkey: We Won't Exclude US, Russia if They Want to Cooperate on Syria Safe Zone Sputnik 24 Jan 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, held negotiations on Syria in Moscow on 23 January, focusing on the creation of a security zone in the northern part of the war-torn country.
- Russia, Turkey vow to continue joint anti-terror fight in militant-held Idlib Press TV 24 Jan 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, have agreed to take steps towards stabilizing the situation in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, the last major militant stronghold in the Arab country.
- Meeting In Moscow, Putin, Erdogan Vow Closer Cooperation On Syria RFE/RL 23 Jan 2019 -- Following talks with his Turkish counterpart in Moscow, Russian President Vladimir Putin said the two leaders discussed how they planned to stabilize the situation in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib.
- Turkish Forces Strike Kurdish YPG Positions in Tell Rifaat - Reports Sputnik 23 Jan 2019 -- Almost a week ago, Turkey's Defence Ministry reported another shelling of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in response to the latter's fire from the city of Tell Rifaat.
- Turkey's Erdogan Lays Out Plans for Syria Security Zone VOA 23 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan met with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on Wednesday in his latest effort to build support for a Turkish-controlled military security zone in Syria.
- Erdogan Visits Moscow with Looming Turkish Military Op in Syria VOA 22 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will meet his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Wednesday. The visit comes as Turkish forces are poised to launch a major military operation against the Syrian YPG Kurdish militia.
- Turkey says planning intl. probe into murder of Saudi critic Khashoggi Press TV 22 Jan 2019 -- Turkey says it is making preparations to launch an international investigation into the gruesome assassination of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, slamming certain Western countries for what it calls attempts to whitewash the murder.
- Erdogan to Trump: Turkey ready to take over Manbij security Press TV 21 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country is prepared to take over security in Syria's northern town of Manbij where a deadly bomb attack killed several American soldiers last Wednesday.
- Erdogan: Turkey not to allow Syria safe zone to turn into 'swamp' Press TV 21 Jan 2019 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the country will never allow the implementation of a militant-free safe zone in Syria to be turned into "a swamp" like the one in northern Iraq, where US-backed Kurdish militants launch attacks on Turkish soil.
- Erdogan, Trump Agree to Speed Up Talks on Security Zone in Syria - Ankara Sputnik 21 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his US counterpart Donald Trump during a phone conversation agreed to speed up negotiations on the creation of a security zone in northeastern Syria, the Turkish leader's administration said on Sunday.
- Erdogan: Turkey Ready to Take Over Security in Syria's Manbij VOA 20 Jan 2019 -- Turkey is ready to take over security in the Kurdish-controlled Syrian city of Manbij, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Sunday.
- Turkish Troops Open Retaliatory Fire on Kurds in Tall Rifat – Defence Ministry Sputnik 18 Jan 2019 -- The Turkish troops, deployed in Syria's Afrin, opened fire on Friday at the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in response to the latter's fire from the city of Tall Rifat, the Turkish Defense Ministry said in a statement.
- US Senator Meets Turkish Leader to Defuse Tensions VOA 18 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan met with visiting U.S Senator Lindsey Graham in Ankara Friday, in the latest effort to defuse bilateral tensions over Syria.
- Turkey Opposes Damascus' Control Over Syrian Manbij Sputnik 18 Jan 2019 -- Ankara opposes the presence of Syrian government troops in Manbij and considers clearing the region of the Kurdish-led People's Protection Units (YPG) a matter of national security, the Turkish Foreign Ministry's spokesman Hami Aksoy said Friday.
- Turkey Warns Syrian Army Against Entering Manbij Sputnik 18 Jan 2019 -- The statement came a few days after at least four US servicemen were killed in a suicide bombing in the northern Syrian city of Manbij. Daesh* (ISIS) reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack, which occurred amid the ongoing US troop withdrawal from Syria, announced by President Trump in December 2018.
- Turkey Wants Patriot Missile System Tech Transfer as Condition for Deal With US Sputnik 17 Jan 2019 -- Earlier, the US State Department approved the sale of $3.5 billion-worth of Patriot PAC-3 air defence systems to Turkey in a bid to convince Ankara to ditch its $2.5 billion S-400 deal with Moscow.
- Turkey to Purchase Russian S-400 Regardless of Potential Patriot Deal With US Sputnik 16 Jan 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu earlier stated that Turkey was open to a US proposal on Patriot air defence systems supplies only if abandoning the S-400 deal with Russia is not a precondition for the agreement with Washington.
- Syrian Kurds Reportedly Reject Turkish Safe Zone Agreed With Trump Sputnik 16 Jan 2019 -- On 15 January, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that he and his American counterpart Donald Trump had reached a "historic understanding" on Syria in their latest phone call.
- Trump, Erdogan talk Syria 'safe zone' amid war of words over Kurdish militants Press TV 15 Jan 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has held talks with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, on the establishment of a militant-free safe zone in northern Syria, shortly after he threatened to "devastate" NATO ally Turkey economically if it attacks Kurdish militants following Washington's military withdrawal from the Arab state.
- Turkey's Erdogan Announces Creation of Safe Zone in Syria Suggested by Trump Sputnik 15 Jan 2019 -- US-Turkish relations have been strained amid Ankara's plans to launch an offensive against Syrian Kurds following Washington's announcement that it would withdraw its troops from the Arab Republic.
- Venezuela to refine tons of gold in Turkey Press TV 14 Jan 2019 -- Venezuela has sent a committee to Turkey to sign a contract enabling refining of thousands of tons of gold at central Turkish facilities.
- Turkey says 'not intimated' after Trump threatens economic devastation Press TV 14 Jan 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Turkey will not be intimidated by US President Donald Trump's threat to "devastate" its economy if Ankara attacked Kurdish militants in Syria.
- Trump to 'devastate Turkey economically if they hit Kurds' in Syria Press TV 14 Jan 2019 -- US President Donald Trump has threatened to "devastate Turkey economically" if it attacks US backed Kurdish militants in Syria after US withdrawal.
- 'Fatal Mistake': Turkey Slams Trump Over Warning on 'Economic Devastation' Sputnik 14 Jan 2019 -- Tensions between Ankara and Washington have further escalated over the Kurdish issue as Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu announced last week that Ankara would launch a military operation east of the Euphrates River if the US failed to withdraw its troops from the Arab Republic in time.
- Trump Tells Turkey: 'Don't Mistreat The Kurds' RFE/RL 14 Jan 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has warned his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in a telephone conversation against attacking Kurdish military units that have been closely allied to U.S. forces in Syria.
- Trump Warns Turkey Against Hitting Syrian Kurds VOA 13 Jan 2019 -- President Donald Trump is warning Turkey it would face economic devastation if it strikes at the Kurds when U.S. forces pull out of Syria.
- Turkey deploys further military reinforcements to Syrian border Press TV 12 Jan 2019 -- The Turkish military has sent new reinforcements to the country's areas on the border with Syria's militant-held province of Idlib as Ankara is preparing for a military operation against US-backed Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in the wake of US President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw American troops from the war-torn country.
- US Team to Visit Turkey to 'Express Specific Concerns' Over S-400 Deal - Reports Sputnik 12 Jan 2019 -- Washington has been pressuring Ankara to abandon its purchase of Russian S-400 air defence systems for months, promising to sell it the Patriot missile system instead, and threatening to block the delivery of the F-35 fifth-gen fighter jets if Turkey goes forward with its deal with Russia.
- Turkey Gathers Military Vehicles Near Syrian Border – Reports Sputnik 12 Jan 2019 -- Turkey continues to concentrate military vehicles near the Syrian border, Anadolu news agency reported on Saturday.
- Turkish defense minister vows operation against Kurdish YPG forces when time is right Press TV 11 Jan 2019 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar says his country's military continues to prepare for a military operation against US-backed Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in northern Syria, which will start "at the right time" for the Ankara government.
- Turkey to Launch Operation East of Euphrates 'at Right Time' - Defense Minister Sputnik 11 Jan 2019 -- Turkey continues to prepare for a military operation east of the Euphrates River in Syria that will start "at the right time for Ankara," Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Friday.
- Turkey will start offensive in Syria if US troop pullout stalled: Cavusoglu Press TV 10 Jan 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says his country will launch an offensive against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in northern Syria, in case the United States delays the planned withdrawal of its troops from the war-torn Arab country.
- Turkey Stands By Deal To Buy Russian Missiles, Attack Kurds In Syria RFE/RL 10 Jan 2019 -- Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Turkey may buy U.S. Patriot missile systems if conditions are right, but insists such a deal would be impossible if Washington forces Ankara to cancel its agreement to purchase S-400 antiaircraft missiles from Russia.
- Turkey Refuses to Cancel S-400 Purchase as Precondition for US Patriot Deal Sputnik 10 Jan 2019 -- Turkey is ready to consider US proposal on deliveries of Patriot air defense systems, but refuses to abandon the S-400 deal with Russia as a potential precondition for the Ankara-Washington agreement, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Thursday.
- Turkey calls for joint cooperation with Iran, Russia on US forces' pullout from Syria Press TV 09 Jan 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has called for joint control with Russia and Iran of US troops' withdrawal from Syria, saying Washington is facing "certain difficulties" with the planned exit.
- Turkey calls for joint cooperation with Iran, Russia on US forces' pullout from Syria Press TV 09 Jan 2019 -- Syria's National Security chief Major General Ali Mamlouk has reportedly paid a visit to Saudi Arabia, amid promising signs that the incumbent Damascus government led by President Bashar al-Assad is being admitted back into the Arab world after nearly eight years of foreign-sponsored militancy.
- Trump's Syria Pull-Out: US and Turkey on Thin Ice Over Kurds… Again Sputnik 09 Jan 2019 -- It seems that the recent diplomatic row between Washington and Ankara may cast a shadow on the US withdrawal from Syria as the Turkish government is not inclined to ensure the safety of Syrian Kurdish militias and fulfil National Security Adviser John Bolton's conditions.
- Turkey Calls for Joint Control With Russia and Iran of US Exit From Syria Sputnik 09 Jan 2019 -- Russia, Turkey and Iran have been the guarantors of the ceasefire regime in Syria, with the presidents of the countries being heavily engaged in negotiations on the peace process in the war-torn Arab state.
- Erdogan Rejects U.S. Request For Assurances On Kurdish Fighters RFE/RL 08 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused the U.S. national-security adviser of making "a very serious mistake" by demanding that Turkey not harm Kurdish fighters in Syria as President Donald Trump plans to withdraw U.S. troops from the war-torn country.
- US Team to Visit Turkey Soon to Clarify Concerns Over S-400 – Turkish Official Sputnik 08 Jan 2019 -- The United States will send a team to Turkey in the coming weeks to clarify their concerns about Ankara's purchase of the Russian S-400 air defence systems, Turkish Defense Industry President Ismail Demir said.
- Turkey Turns Back to Iranian Crude Imports Using US Wavier – Report Sputnik 08 Jan 2019 -- The US imposed sanctions on Iranian oil exports in November 2018 following its unilateral withdrawal from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), also known as the Iran nuclear deal. At the same time, Washington issued temporary waivers to several countries, allowing them to continue importing Tehran's crude.
- Turkey resumes importing Iranian crude oil under US sanctions waiver Press TV 08 Jan 2019 -- Turkey has resumed imports of crude from Iran under waivers granted by the United States to almost all Iranian oil clients after Washington re-imposed the "toughest" sanctions ever against Tehran, trading and shipping sources say.
- US Syria Withdrawal Must Be Planned in Cooperation With Right Partners - Erdogan Sputnik 08 Jan 2019 -- The United States must closely coordinate its planned pullout from Syria with the "right partners" in order to protect itself and the Syrian people, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday in an op-ed published by the New York Times.
- Turkey orders detention of 100 soldiers over alleged Gulen links Press TV 07 Jan 2019 -- Turkish prosecutors have ordered the detention of 100 soldiers on suspicion of their affiliation to a movement led by the US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of having masterminded the July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, state media say.
- Putin, Erdogan Plan Meeting 'Soon' On U.S. Plan To Exit Syria RFE/RL 07 Jan 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkey's Recep Tayyip Erdogan are planning to meet "soon" to discuss the announced departure of U.S. troops from Syria, where both countries also have a strong military presence.
- Trump's Security Adviser Arrives in Turkey for Key Talks VOA 07 Jan 2019 -- President Donald Trump's national security adviser is in Ankara for high-level talks amid renewed bilateral tensions over Washington's backing of a Syrian Kurdish militia, and growing doubts about Trump's commitment to rapidly withdraw U.S. forces from Syria.
- Bolton to Seek Assurances Turkey Won't Attack US-Allied Kurdish Fighters VOA 07 Jan 2019 -- U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton is in Turkey for talks with senior officials as the Trump administration seeks assurances that Turkish forces will not target Kurdish fighters allied with American forces.
- Turkey slams 'irrational' US accusation that it attacks Syrian Kurds Press TV 06 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's spokesman has denounced as "irrational" US claims that Turkey was attacking Kurds in Syria's northeastern parts.
- US Doesn't Want Turkey to Take Military Action in Syria - Bolton Sputnik 06 Jan 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in an interview on Thursday that Washington's key priority would be to avoid a regional massacre between the Turkish military and Kurds.
- Turkey Rejects New US Offer to Cancel Purchase of Russian S-400 Systems - Report Sputnik 06 Jan 2019 -- According to the Yeni Safak newspaper, a US delegation has tried to convince Turkey to give up on purchasing the Russian missile systems during the visit to Ankara earlier this week. However, the Turkish authorities reportedly rejected the offer since it did not include a discount on the price set or a transfer of technology.
- Turkey says ready to give all documents to US probe team on Gulen Press TV 05 Jan 2019 -- Turkey's justice minister says Ankara is ready to give all the necessary documents to an American judiciary delegation currently in the country for its ongoing investigation into the activities of the outlawed Fethullah Gulen movement, which is branded by the Turkish government as the Fethullah Terrorist Organization (FETO).
- Turkey to Host Trilateral Summit on Afghan Peace VOA 04 Jan 2019 -- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan says "a much stronger effort" is needed to further ongoing peace talks his country is facilitating between the United States and Afghanistan's Taliban.
- Turkey To Host Afghanistan, Pakistan For Taliban Peace Talks RFE/RL 04 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country will host the leaders of Pakistan and Afghanistan as part of efforts to end the Afghan Taliban's 17-year insurgency.
- Turkey-US Tensions Threaten to Resurface Over Syria VOA 03 Jan 2019 -- Tensions between the U.S. and Turkey are threatening to resurface following President Donald Trump's apparent walking back of his commitment to immediately withdraw U.S. troops from Syria and end support for a Syrian Kurdish militia.
- Turkey, Iraq will deepen cooperation against terrorism in region: Erdogan Press TV 03 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey and neighboring Iraq will deepen their cooperation against terrorism in the region, after tensions between Ankara and Baghdad over Turkey's airstrikes against purported positions of Kurdish militants in northern Iraq.
- US Delegation Offers Turkey Patriot Air Defence Systems Deal - Reports Sputnik 03 Jan 2019 -- A US delegation has made an official offer to Turkey to purchase US-made Patriot air defence systems, Anadolu news agency reported on Thursday, citing sources.
- PHOTOS Allegedly Show Turkey Massing More Military Equipment on Syrian Border Sputnik 02 Jan 2019 -- Earlier, President Trump doubled down on his decision to pull the estimated 2,000 troops stationed in Syria out of the country, saying the move would fulfil his campaign promise to withdraw from the "never ending wars" the US has been engaged in.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list