Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2018 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Turkey to continue cooperation with Russia, Iran on Syria ISNA 30 Dec 2018 -- Turkey intends to continue close cooperation with Russia and Iran in Syria, Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Saturday after negotiations in Moscow.
- Turkey, Russia agree to 'coordinate' anti-terror Syria operations Press TV 30 Dec 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Moscow and Ankara have reached a consensus on coordination of counter-terrorism military activities in Syria amid the withdrawal of American troops from the Arab country.
- Turkey Continues to Concentrate Tanks, Artillery Near Syrian Border - Reports Sputnik 29 Dec 2018 -- A new group of Turkish heavy military vehicles arrived in the country's southeastern province of Sanliurfa bordering northern Syria, the Anadolu news agency reported on Saturday.
- Turkey will continue close cooperation with Iran on Syria IRNA 29 Dec 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Saturday that 'we will continue our close co-operation with Iran on Syria and regional issues'.
- Turkey to continue cooperation with Iran, Russia on regional issues, Syria: Turkish FM Press TV 29 Dec 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Turkey would continue to be in close cooperation with Iran and Russia on regional developments, especially the Syria conflict as Ankara is reportedly preparing to launch a military incursion against US-backed Kurdish militants in northern Syria.
- Turkey will have no business in Syria's Manbij if YPG leaves, says Erdogan Press TV 28 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's military forces will have no business in Syria's northern town of Manbij once Kurdish militants from the US-backed People's Protection Units (YPG) withdraw from the area.
- Syrian Forces Trying to Run 'Psychological Operation' in Manbij - Erdogan Sputnik 28 Dec 2018 -- The Syrian state broadcaster earlier reported that the Syrian Arab Army had entered Manbij and raised the flag of the Arab Republic after receiving a request from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) to take control of the city amid Turkey's envisaged offensive in the area.
- Russia, Turkey, Iran to hold talks on Syria conflict early next week Press TV 28 Dec 2018 -- Russia, Turkey and the Islamic Republic of Iran are set to hold a new round of talks on the ongoing foreign-sponsored Syria crisis early next year, in the wake of US President Donald Trump's decision last week to withdraw American troops from the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Turkey would not allow US to inspect Russian S-400 missile systems: Official Press TV 27 Dec 2018 -- A senior Turkish official says Ankara would not provide the United States with the opportunity to study the advanced Russian-built S-400 air defense missile system, regardless of strong opposition from Washington and warnings that Turkey should not buy the anti-aircraft platform.
- Turkey Conducts Successful Test of Its First Air Bomb Sputnik 27 Dec 2018 -- Turkey has successfully tested its first domestically manufactured air bomb, the Turkish Ministry of Industry and Technology said on Thursday.
- Turkey Would Not Let US Inspect Russian S-400s - Source Sputnik 27 Dec 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu assured the Russian ambassador to Ankara, Alexei Yerkhov, that Turkey would not provide the United States with the opportunity to study S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems, a source in the Turkish Foreign Ministry said.
- Ankara Seeks to Prolong Turkey's Exemption From US Sanctions Against Iran Sputnik 27 Dec 2018 -- Ankara is seeking to prolong its exemption from the US sanctions on Iran, which also affect countries that cooperate with Tehran, Turkish Trade Minister Ruhsar Pekcan said on Thursday.
- Turkey extends military presence in Afghanistan IRNA 26 Dec 2018 -- Turkish parliament has approved a motion to extend the country's troops deployment in Afghanistan for another two years, Anadolu News Agency said.
- Turkey to soon cross to east of Euphrates in northern Syria People's Daily 26 Dec 2018 -- Turkey is determined to cross to the east of the Euphrates River in northern Syria as soon as possible, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Tuesday.
- Turkey sends military reinforcements to Syrian border People's Daily 25 Dec 2018 -- Turkey has sent military reinforcements to its border with Syria, state-run media reported on Monday, after Ankara and Washington agreed to coordinate ly during the U.S. withdrawal from Syria.
- Turkey resolute in fighting terror, needs no permission from Israel: Ankara Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Turkey says it is determined to continue its "fight" against terrorism, stressing that Ankara does not need any "permission" from the Israeli regime to fight terror.
- Turkey 'Determined' To Cross East Of Euphrates In Syria As Soon As Possible RFE/RL 25 Dec 2018 -- Turkey is determined to cross to the east of the Euphrates River in northern Syria as soon as possible, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on December 25, a day after Ankara sent reinforcements to the border with Syria.
- Turkey Doesn't Need Permission from Israel or Anyone to Fight Terror - Ankara Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- The Turkish government spokesperson made the statement following a Twitter outburst from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who called Turkish President Erdogan "the occupier of northern Cyprus" and accused his forces of massacring "women and children in Kurdish villages."
- Turkey Never Suggested US Technicians Should Study S-400 - Defense Minister Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- The announcement comes after Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters that Ankara would never give up on the S-400 deal with Moscow. According to him, the Turkish government has already finalized the accord and will buy the missile systems from Russia "without any question."
- 'No Benefit': Turkey Warns France Against Remaining in Syria Amid US Pullout Sputnik 25 Dec 2018 -- The news comes as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's spokesman revealed that American military officials are set to meet with their Turkish counterparts to discuss coordination on Syria following Washington's decision to withdraw troops from the Arab Republic.
- Turkey warns France against supporting Kurdish YPG militants Press TV 25 Dec 2018 -- Turkey has warned France against supporting US-backed People's Protection Units (YPG) in northern Syria, in the wake of US President Donald Trump's decision last week to withdraw American troops from the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Turkey: US missile deal not to impact S-400 purchase from Russia Press TV 24 Dec 2018 -- Turkish Presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin says his country's possible purchase of Patriot missile systems from the United States will not affect a deal with Russia to buy S-400 missile systems.
- Possible Purchase of US Patriots Not Alternative to S-400 - Erdogan's Spokesman Sputnik 24 Dec 2018 -- The possible purchase of Patriot air defence systems from the United States will not affect Turkey-Russia agreement of the purchase of S-400 missiles, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said Monday.
- Netanyahu Unsuccessfully Tried to Split Up Syria - Turkish PM Sputnik 24 Dec 2018 -- The Turkish PM's statement comes amid the ongoing war of words between President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. On Sunday, the Israeli prime minister called the Turkish president an "anti-Semitic dictator" who is "obsessed with Israel." Erdogan responded by describing Netanyahu as "the head of state terror."
- Erdogan Pledged to Eradicate 'Whatever Left' of Daesh in Syria, Trump Says Sputnik 24 Dec 2018 -- On Wednesday, Trump declared Daesh defeat in Syria and subsequent withdrawal of US troops from the Arab country, where they had been staying solely to counter the Daesh. On Saturday, he added that "local countries, including Turkey" should be able to "easily take care of whatever remains."
- Ankara working to carry Khashoggi investigation to UN: Turkey's FM Cavusoglu Press TV 24 Dec 2018 -- Turkey says it is working with other countries to carry the investigation into the murder of Jamal Khashoggi to the United Nations, more than two months after the dissident Saudi journalist was gruesomely murdered inside the Arab kingdom's consulate in Istanbul.
- Turkey Plans to Raise Issue of Khashoggi Killing at UN - Foreign Minister Sputnik 24 Dec 2018 -- Turkey is cooperating with other countries in order to raise the issue of murder of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the United Nations' session, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said.
- Trump, Erdogan Agree to Coordinate US Pullout From Syria VOA 23 Dec 2018 -- President Donald Trump says he and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan talked about the planned U.S. military pull out from Syria during a "long and productive call" Sunday.
- Macron Voices Deep Regret Over US Decision to Withdraw Troops From Syria Sputnik 23 Dec 2018 -- French Economic Affairs Minister Nathalie Loiseau claimed that Paris would maintain its military presence in Syria, while French Defence Minister Florence Parly refused to confirm that statement.
- Turkey deploys military reinforcements to Kurdish-held northern Syria Press TV 23 Dec 2018 -- Turkey has dispatched military reinforcements to northern Syria, which is held by US-backed Kurdish militants, as American troops prepare to leave the Arab country.
- Turkey Boosts Military Presence In Syria As Erdogan, Trump Discuss U.S. Pullout RFE/RL 23 Dec 2018 -- Turkey has begun bolstering its military presence on both sides of its border with Syria, just days after U.S. President Donald Trump announced he would withdraw all 2,000 U.S. troops currently based in Syria.
- Turkey Reportedly Redeploys Troops to Border With Syria Amid US Pullout Sputnik 23 Dec 2018 -- Following initial statements about an upcoming military operation in the Eastern Euphrates and Manbij against Kurdish militants, the Turkish president announced on 21 December that it would be delayed in light of a US decision to withdraw its troops from Syria.
- Erdogan Reportedly Vowed to Finish Off Daesh After US Troops Withdrawal Sputnik 23 Dec 2018 -- The Associated Press earlier reported, citing unnamed US and Turkish officials, that Donald Trump had decided to withdraw American troops from Syria after a phone conversation with Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Turkey Begins Joint Investigation With Libya Over Mystery Weapons Shipment Sputnik 23 Dec 2018 -- Weapons that came to Libya from Turkey have been disavowed by Ankara.
- Erdogan Phone Call on Syria Triggered Mattis's Resignation – Reports Sputnik 22 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump took to Twitter earlier this week to announce that Defence Secretary James Mattis would resign on 28 February 2019.
- Turkey Won't Drop S-400 Deal Despite Trump's Promise to Sell Patriots - Report Sputnik 22 Dec 2018 -- The US has been attempting to thwart the Russian S-400 air defence systems' sale to Turkey ever since the contract was signed in December 2017, threatening to halt F-35 jet shipments to Ankara. In its latest attempt to dismantle the deal, the US State Department approved the sale of US-made Patriot systems to Turkey.
- Turkey to Delay Offensive on US-Backed Forces in Syria VOA 21 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday that his country would hold off on a military operation against the U.S.-backed Kurdish forces in northeastern Syria, citing a telephone conversation this past week with U.S. President Donald Trump.
- Erdogan Vows To 'Remove' Kurdish Militia, IS From Syria After U.S. Withdrawal RFE/RL 21 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said he will clear Syria both of a U.S.-backed Kurdish militia and Islamic State (IS) militants after the U.S. decision to pull troops out.
- Turkey Delays Syria Military Operation to Avoid US Friendly Fire - Minister Sputnik 21 Dec 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Friday that a military advance against Kurdish YPG forces in northeastern Syria would be delayed until the US pullout is over.
- Erdogan Decides to Postpone Military Op in Syria After Talk With Trump Sputnik 21 Dec 2018 -- Earlier, the Turkish Defence Minister announced that the country was "intensely" preparing to launch another operation against Syrian Kurds in Manbij, Aleppo Governorate, and to the east of the Euphrates. The announcement came the day after the US had decided to withdraw its troops from Syria.
- Turkey Will Use Russian S-400 Independently of NATO Systems - Source Sputnik 21 Dec 2018 -- Amid high tensions between Ankara and Washington over Russian-made S-400 air defence systems, the US State Department has announced the possible sale of Patriot missile system to Turkey.
- Erdogan welcomes US troop withdrawal from Syria Press TV 21 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has welcomed the United States' announced withdrawal from Syria, temporarily postponing a planned invasion of Syria's Kurdish-controlled northeastern regions.
- Turkey Promises to 'Bury' Kurds in New Syrian Ops Amid US Withdrawal – Reports Sputnik 20 Dec 2018 -- Previously, Turkey conducted two ops, "Olive Branch" and " Euphrates Shield" in the Arab Republic in a bid to eliminate Kurdish forces there, allegedly tied to the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), deemed a terrorist organisation by Ankara.
- Libyan army demands UN investigation into 'two weapons shipments from Turkey' Press TV 20 Dec 2018 -- The Libyan National Army has called on the United Nations Security Council to launch an immediate investigation into what it says are two shipments of military hardware from Turkey to the North African country.
- Who Are the Kurds? VOA 19 Dec 2018 -- The Kurds' involvement in the conflict in Syria is difficult to understand because of their own troubled history that spreads across several regional borders. Here is a look at the current Kurdish crisis and how it came to be:
- 'Russia to fulfill S-400 sale to Turkey despite Patriot deal' Press TV 19 Dec 2018 -- The Kremlin says there is no link between Turkey's possible purchase of US Patriot surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems and that of the advanced Russian-built S-400 air defense missile system, saying Moscow is in the process of fulfilling the terms of the deal with Ankara.
- U.S. Proposes Sale Of Patriot Missile System To Turkey RFE/RL 19 Dec 2018 -- The State Department says the United States has proposed the sale of a $3.5 billion Patriot missile system to Turkey.
- Turkey's Purchases of Russian S-400, US Patriot Systems Not Connected - Kremlin Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- Kremlin believes that Turkey's possible purchase of US Patriot Missile System and of Russian S-400 Triumph air defense systems are not connected, and that Russia-Turkey contract on S-400 purchase will be continued, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday.
- State Department: US Authorizes $3.5Bln Sell of Patriot Missile System to Turkey Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- The US government approved a proposed deal worth $3.5 billion for Patriot Missile System and related equipment to Turkey, the State Department said in a statement.
- State Dept Denies Trump Gave 'Greenlight' for Turkish Offensive in Syria Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday that US President Donald Trump had responded positively to Turkey's plans to launch an offensive on the eastern side of the Euphrates River.
- Turkey - Patriot Missile System and Related Support and Equipment DSCA 18 Dec 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Turkey of eighty (80) Patriot MIM-104E Guidance Enhanced Missiles (GEM-T) missiles, sixty (60) PAC-3 Missile Segment Enhancement (MSE) missiles and related equipment for an estimated cost of $3.5 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Arab League censures Turkish airstrikes in northern Iraq Press TV 18 Dec 2018 -- The Arab League has strongly condemned Turkey's repeated airstrikes against the purported positions of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, stressing that "such actions are in violation of the Iraqi state's sovereignty."
- Turkish courts give life sentences to some 2,000 over 2016 botched putsch Press TV 18 Dec 2018 -- Courts in Turkey have sentenced nearly 2,000 people to life in prison since the failed July 2016 coup attempt, which the Ankara government asserts to have been masterminded by US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen.
- Turkish US Tensions Deepen Over Syrian Kurds VOA 18 Dec 2018 -- Diplomatic efforts are continuing to avert a crisis between Ankara and Washington over a threatened Turkish offensive against U.S.-backed Syrian Kurdish forces. But analysts warn mixed messages between the two NATO allies is complicating de-escalation efforts.
- Erdogan: Turkey to launch East of Euphrates operation 'any moment' Press TV 17 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's military is possible to start a new operation against US-backed Kurdish militants in Syria at "any moment."
- Turkey Will Not Let US Prevent Ankara's Op East of Euphrates in Syria – Minister Sputnik 17 Dec 2018 -- Turkey will not let the United States prevent its military operation in the Syrian territories, east of the Euphrates River, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Monday.
- US Denies Trump Thinking About Extraditing Gulen to Turkey VOA 17 Dec 2018 -- The White House is denying Turkey's claim that President Donald Trump is thinking about extraditing wanted Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen back to Turkey.
- Latest Data Fuels Fears Over Turkey's Economy VOA 17 Dec 2018 -- Turkish industrial production has plummeted to a nine-year low, according to the latest published figures. The data was part of a swath of negative economic results released Monday, as Turkey continues to be impacted by this year's collapse in its currency.
- Syria Accuses Turkey, West of Delaying Constitutional Committee Formation Sputnik 17 Dec 2018 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem on Monday accused Turkey and Western countries of the delay in the formation of the Syrian constitutional committee.
- UN Syria envoy set to host top diplomats from Iran, Russia, Turkey this week Press TV 17 Dec 2018 -- United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura is set to host top diplomats from Iran, Russia and Turkey, as guarantors of the Syria peace process, in Geneva this week.
- Two Men Charged with Conspiracy and Acting as Agents of a Foreign Government US Dept. of Justice 17 Dec 2018 -- An indictment was unsealed today charging Bijan Rafiekian, aka Bijan Kian, 66, of San Juan Capistrano, California, and Kamil Ekim Alptekin, 41, of Istanbul, and a Turkish national, with conspiracy, acting in the United States as illegal agents of the government of Turkey, and making false statements to the FBI.
- Bijan Rafiekian charged over conspiracy to act as foreign government agent Press TV 17 Dec 2018 -- Bijan Rafiekian, a former business partner of ex-US national security adviser Michael Flynn, has been charged by federal prosecutors with illegally lobbying for the extradition of Turkish dissident Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of having masterminded the July 2016 coup attempt against the Turkish leader.
- US Alleges Illegal Turkish Influence Scheme VOA 17 Dec 2018 -- The United States is accusing two former business associates of one-time Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn of illegally carrying out a Turkish lobbying campaign in the United States.
- Michael Flynn's Former Associates Face Charges of Illegal Lobbying for Turkey Sputnik 17 Dec 2018 -- Two of former US National Security Advisor Michael Flynn's business associates are facing charges in the United States over illegal lobbying for Turkey, the Justice Department announced in a statement on Monday.
- Turkey says Trump working on extraditing wanted Gulen Press TV 16 Dec 2018 -- Turkey says President Donald Trump of the United States has told President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that Washington is working on extraditing the US-based Turkish dissident Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of having masterminded the July 2016 coup attempt against the Turkish leader.
- Turkey ignores Iraqi protests, attacks PKK again Press TV 16 Dec 2018 -- Turkish warplanes have struck PKK targets in northern Iraq, ignoring protests from Baghdad which says Turkey's repeated airstrikes violate Iraqi sovereignty and endanger civilians.
- Turkey Says Trump Told Erdogan He's 'Working On Extraditing' Gulen RFE/RL 16 Dec 2018 -- Turkey's foreign minister says U.S. President Donald Trump has told Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that Washington is "working on extraditing" a U.S.-based Muslim cleric that Ankara accuses of orchestrating Turkey's failed 2016 coup.
- About Face: Turkish Foreign Minister Claims Trump Will Extradite Fethullah Gulen Sputnik 16 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump is planning to extradite exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen to Turkey, according to a Sunday statement by Ankara's foreign minister.
- Erdogan - Turkey to Buy 120 F-35 Jets Amid Speculation Deal Will Be Canceled Sputnik 16 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Sunday that Ankara intended to buy 120 US-made F-35 fighter jets amid speculations that the transfer might be halted.
- Turkey Claims US 'Working On' Extraditing Muslim Cleric VOA 16 Dec 2018 -- Turkey's foreign minister says U.S. President Donald Trump recently assured Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that Washington is considering extraditing a Muslim cleric that Ankara accuses of orchestrating a failed 2016 military coup.
- Turkey says would work with Syria's Assad if he won 'democratic election' Press TV 16 Dec 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says the Ankara government would consider working with Syrian President Bashar Assad if he won a democratic and credible election.
- Turkey Not Ruling Out Possibility of Cooperation With Assad - Foreign Minister Sputnik 16 Dec 2018 -- Turkey will consider the possibility of cooperation with Syrian President Bashar Assad in case of his re-election as the country's head as result of a transparent and fair election, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Sunday.
- US Warns Syrian Opposition, FSA not to Back Turkey's Planned Op Against YPG Sputnik 16 Dec 2018 -- The warning comes after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that Ankara was ready to launch an operation in Syria's Manbij against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) "in a few days" if the US does not order them to withdraw from the area.
- Turkey vows to continue attacks on PKK militants in Iraq Press TV 15 Dec 2018 -- Turkey says it will continue its attacks on the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in northern Iraq despite Baghdad's protest at repeated violations of its airspace.
- Turkish, US Presidents Discuss Future Operation in Syria - Erdogan's Aide Sputnik 15 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his US counterpart, Donald Trump, discussed over the phone Ankara's future military operation in the east of Syria, Erdogan's aide Ibrahim Kalin told reporters on the sidelines of the Doha Forum.
- Turkey Vows to Continue Airstrikes in Iraq Despite Baghdad's Protest Sputnik 15 Dec 2018 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry summoned Turkey's Ambassador Fatih Yildiz on December 14 to protest against a violation of the country's airspace by Turkish aircraft and them conducting airstrikes on several sites in northern Iraq, which allegedly caused "loss of life and property".
- Erdogan's Adviser Doubts US Will Ditch F-35 Deal With Turkey Amid S-400 Row Sputnik 15 Dec 2018 -- The US Congress has for some time been considering to halt F-35 shipments to Turkey since Ankara signed a contract for Russian S-400 air defence systems in December 2017. Despite pressure from Washington, Turkey has refused to abandon the deal with Russia.
- US-backed Kurdish militants slam Turkish threats as 'declaration of war' Press TV 14 Dec 2018 -- The so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), a US-backed coalition of mainly Kurdish militants that maintains a grip on northeastern Syria, together with its component, the People's Protection Units (YPG), have censured Turkish threats of a new operation in the crisis-hit Arab country as a "declaration of war", calling on world powers to stop the assault.
- Turkish forces to enter Syria's Manbij if US-backed YPG remains there: Erdogan Press TV 14 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara will send its forces to the Syrian town of Manbij if the United States does not remove the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militia from the area.
- Pentagon: Turkish Unilateral Action in Northeast Syria Would Be 'Unacceptable' Sputnik 13 Dec 2018 -- A Turkish unilateral military operation in northeast Syria if launched would be unacceptable and Ankara should consult with the United States to address the security situation, Defense Department spokesperson Cmdr. Sean Robertson told Sputnik.
- Turkey to launch new operation against US-backed Kurdish militants in northern Syria, says Erdogan Press TV 12 Dec 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara will launch a new operation against the US-backed Kurds in northern Syria within days, amid tensions between the two NATO allies over Washington's support for the Kurdish militants in the Arab country.
- Erdogan: Turkey to Start Military Operation East of Euphrates in Couple Days Sputnik 12 Dec 2018 -- "We are determined to make that area livable and peaceful," Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday.
- Turkey to Launch New Military Operation Against Syrian Kurds VOA 12 Dec 2018 -- A Turkish military operation against the Syrian Kurdish militia, the YPG, will start in the next few days, according to Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. With the YPG being a key U.S. ally in the war against the Islamic State, such a move threatens to resurrect recent tensions between the two NATO allies.
- Dozens Arrested in Raids on Kurdish Party Headquarters in Turkey VOA 12 Dec 2018 -- Turkish police have detained dozens of people, mostly women, in multiple raids on the local headquarters of the pro-Kurdish People's Democratic Party (HDP) since Monday, targeting party members and supporters who were on a hunger strike in support of the imprisoned HDP lawmaker Leyla Guven.
- Syrian Kurds: Threat of Turkish Action Impacts Anti-IS Fight VOA 12 Dec 2018 -- Kurdish officials in Syria say any Turkish military action against them would affect their efforts in defeating Islamic State in its last stronghold in the country.
- Pentagon Sets Up Observation Posts in Syria, to Coordinate Efforts With Turkey Sputnik 12 Dec 2018 -- The United States has finalized the establishment of observation posts in northeast Syria and will be coordinating with Turkey its security efforts in the border region, Department of Defence spokesperson Col. Rob Manning said in a press release.
- Turkey Pledges EU Reforms as Rights Concerns Linger VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- Turkish ministers are pledging to speed up judicial reforms as Ankara tries to get its European Union membership effort back on track. They met Tuesday to address Turkey's EU membership aspirations, which have all but collapsed amid growing human rights concerns.
- Foreign minister says Turkey in talks with UN about Khashoggi murder investigation Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- Turkey says it is in talks with the United Nations regarding an investigation into the gruesome murder of dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside the Arab kingdom's consulate in Istanbul more than two months ago.
- Turkey calls for international inquiry into Khashoggi's killing Press TV 10 Dec 2018 -- Turkey has called for an international investigation into the case of slain Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, after Riyadh refused to extradite two senior Saudi officials suspected of planning his murder in the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul in October.
- Turkey Seeks Arrests Over 2013 Protests VOA 08 Dec 2018 -- A crackdown on political dissent in Turkey is widening to participants in a major civic unrest five years ago. Prosecutors have issued arrest warrants for a prominent actor, a leading journalist and civil society activists.
- Turkey's Stance on Khashoggi Killing Contrasts With Criticism Over Media Rights VOA 07 Dec 2018 -- Turkey appears to be increasing pressure on Saudi Arabia over the death of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Riyadh's Istanbul consulate.
- Turkey Issues Arrest Warrants For 2 Saudis Over Khashoggi's Murder - Reports Sputnik 05 Dec 2018 -- The two Saudis held high posts in the kingdom, but were sacked after Riyadh announced that Jamal Khashoggi had been killed in a "rogue operation". Saudi Arabia insists that no members of the royal family were connected to the crime.
- Turkey files arrest warrants for Saudi crown prince allies over Khashoggi murder Press TV 05 Dec 2018 -- A Turkish prosecutor has issued arrest warrants for two Saudi nationals close to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over the brutal murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Turkish police detain dozens of suspects over affiliation to Gulen movement Press TV 04 Dec 2018 -- Turkish security forces have arrested more than a hundred people on suspicion of affiliation to a movement led by US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom the Ankara government accuses of having masterminded the July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Ankara Issues Arrest Warrants for 112 Suspects Over Ties to Gulen - Reports Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- Turkish prosecutors have issued arrest warrants for 112 people for their alleged links to the movement of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, which Ankara refers to as the Fethullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) and holds responsible for staging the 2016 failed military coup in the country, the Anadolu news agency reported.
- Reports of Planned Turkish Naval Base Stokes Tension Between Greek, Turkish Cypriots VOA 04 Dec 2018 -- Tensions between Greece and Turkey over the divided island of Cyprus are rising. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is accusing the Greek Cypriots of pursuing "aggressive" policies, while local media report Ankara is planning to build a naval base on the Turkish side of the Mediterranean island.
- Erdogan: We 'Cannot Be Satisfied' With Riyadh's Khashoggi Case Explanations Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Ankara is dissatisfied with Riyadh's explanations in connection with the murderer of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday.
- Russia, Turkey Agree to Continue Joint Work on Idlib Memorandum Implementation Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- The Russian and Turkish delegations to the G20 summit in Buenos Aires agreed to continue the joint work aimed at implementation of the memorandum on the situation in the rebel-held Syrian province of Idlib, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters.
- 'Best Deal': Turkish FM Cavusoglu Reveals Why Turkey Bought Russia's S-400 Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Turkey decided to buy Russia's S-400 air defence systems as Moscow offered the best deal when Ankara needed such weapons, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Saturday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list