Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2018 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Turkey Starts Development of Long-Range Air Defense System - Erdogan Sputnik 31 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday that his country had begun developing an indigenous long-range air defense system.
- Russia-Turkey S-400 Missile Deal Envisions Future Purchase Options - Official Sputnik 31 Oct 2018 -- The Russian-Turkish contract on supplies of S-400 air defense systems allows Ankara to exercise the right of an option after the main deliveries under the deal have been made, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Borisov said on Wednesday.
- Khashoggi killed by strangulation, cut into pieces after murder: Turkish prosecutor Press TV 31 Oct 2018 -- Turkish judicial officials say prominent Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who went missing after visiting the kingdom's consulate in Turkey's largest city of Istanbul earlier this month, was "strangled" as soon as he entered the diplomatic mission and his body was then "cut into pieces" under a "premeditated plan."
- Istanbul Prosecutor: Khashoggi Strangled, Dismembered Immediately Upon Entering Saudi Consulate RFE/RL 31 Oct 2018 -- Istanbul's chief prosecutor says Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was strangled and his body "cut in pieces" in a premeditated killing immediately upon entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.
- Saudi Prosecutor Refuses to tell Turkey Location of Khashoggi's Body – Reports Sputnik 31 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia's top prosecutor, Saud Al Mojeb, refused to inform the Turkish counterparts of the whereabouts of the body of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the Hurriyet newspaper reported Wednesday, citing government sources.
- Turkey: Khashoggi Was Strangled Immediately After Entering Saudi Consulate VOA 31 Oct 2018 -- A Turkish prosecutor says Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi was killed by strangulation immediately after entering Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul, before his body was "cut into pieces."
- Kurds in Syria: We Have Right to Respond to Turkish Attacks VOA 31 Oct 2018 -- U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters in eastern Syria say recent Turkish shelling attacks have stalled their offensive against their mutual enemy, the Islamic State terror group.
- Erdogan says Turkey set to begin operation in northern Syria IRNA 30 Oct 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday that Turkey has finished preparations for operations on the eastern side of Euphrates River.
- Turkey to launch larger operations in northern Syria: Erdogan Press TV 30 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara will soon launch larger operations east of the Euphrates River in northern Syria, where it has been confronting US-backed Kurdish militants.
- US in Touch With Turkey, SDF Regarding Ankara's Planned Offensive in Syria Sputnik 30 Oct 2018 -- The United States has been in contact with both Turkey and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) following Ankara's announcement it will launch an operation against the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) to the east of the Euphrates River, Pentagon spokesperson Sean Robertson told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- Turkey Prepping for Large-Scale Op Against Syrian Kurdish Forces - Erdogan Sputnik 30 Oct 2018 -- Earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promised to clear the area east of the Euphrates River in Syria from Kurdish militia.
- Saudi public prosecutor holds 2nd round of talks in Istanbul, visits Riyadh's consulate Press TV 30 Oct 2018 -- Amid investigations into the murder of dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the kingdom's public prosecutor holds a second round of talks with Turkish officials in Istanbul before visiting Riyadh's consulate, where the crime took place.
- Turkey Presses Saudi Arabia to Reveal Who Sent Journalist's Killers VOA 30 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday urged Saudi Arabia to reveal who gave the order to have Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi killed at Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul.
- Turkey says wants Saudi Arabia to reveal 'whole truth' on Khashoggi killing Press TV 29 Oct 2018 -- Turkey has called on Saudi Arabia to reveal the "whole truth" about the murder of dissident Saudi journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, in the Arab kingdom's consulate in Istanbul, as Saudi public prosecutor held talks in the Turkish city.
- Saudi Arabia's prosecutor meets Istanbul's in Khashoggi case Press TV 29 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia's public prosecutor has traveled to the Turkish city of Istanbul and met with the city's Chief Public Prosecutor Irfan Fidan for deliberations on the killing of Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi Arabian agents inside Riyadh's consulate there.
- Turkish Forces Reportedly Strike Syrian Kurdish YPG Militia Positions Sputnik 28 Oct 2018 -- Addressing the issue earlier in October, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed to clear the area east of the Euphrates River in Syria from Kurdish militia, which is regarded by Ankara as an affiliate of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), listed as a terrorist organization in Turkey.
- Turkish Police search Istanbul sewage near Saudi consulate IRNA 28 Oct 2018 -- Turkish police searched sewage network at an Istanbul street where the Saudi consulate is located in the probe into the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, local media reported.
- Erdoghan: Assad's fate must be decided by Syrian people IRNA 27 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stressed the need for preserving Syria's territorial integrity, saying that Syrian President Bashar Assad's fate must be determined by the Syrian people.
- Saudi Arabia rejects Turkish call to extradite Khashoggi killers Press TV 27 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has rejected Turkey's calls on the kingdom to extradite 18 Saudis wanted for the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi as international outrage mounts over the killing.
- Turkey demands extradition of 18 Saudis in Khashoggi case IRNA 27 Oct 2018 -- Turkish prosecutors have prepared an extradition request for 18 suspects from Saudi Arabia in the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, authorities said on Friday, after President Tayyip Erdogan urged Riyadh to disclose who ordered the murder.
- Turkish president gives 'final warning' to US-backed militants in northern Syria Press TV 26 Oct 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has issued a "final warning" to those who would endanger Turkey's borders, in an apparent reference to the US-backed Kurdish militants operating in northern Syria.
- European, Russian Leaders Join Erdogan at Summit on Syrian Civil War VOA 26 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is set to host French, German and Russian leaders Saturday at a four-way summit on the Syrian civil war.
- Turkey once again urges Saudis to disclose who ordered Khashoggi murder, body location Press TV 26 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has reiterated his country's call for Riyadh to disclose who ordered the killing of dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul and what has happened to his body.
- Turkish Prosecutor Requests Extradition Of 18 Saudis Over Journalist's Murder RFE/RL 26 Oct 2018 -- A Turkish prosecutor has requested the extradition of 18 Saudi suspects over the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Installation of Russia's S-400 systems to begin October 2019: Turkey Press TV 25 Oct 2018 -- Turkey's defense chief says the deployment of Russian S-400 air defense missile systems will start next year, despite warnings from the US, a NATO ally, not to buy the advanced missile batteries.
- Turkey To Start Installing Russian S-400 Missile Systems In October 2019 RFE/RL 25 Oct 2018 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has said the country will begin the installation of Russian-made S-400 antiaircraft missile systems in October 2019, state media reported.
- Turkey Says Russian S-400 Systems Installation to Begin Oct. 2019 - Reports Sputnik 25 Oct 2018 -- Turkish personnel will be sent to Russia to receive training at the start of 2019, the Hurriyet newspaper reported citing Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar.
- Turkey to Saudi Arabia: Who gave order for Khashoggi killing? Press TV 25 Oct 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has urged Saudi Arabia to answer questions over the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul.
- What Does Turkey's Erdogan Want From Khashoggi Probe? VOA 25 Oct 2018 -- As they demand answers about his death, friends of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi have drawn some comfort from the unlikely figure of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has overseen his own crackdown on dissent, has jailed journalists and has shuttered media outlets in his country.
- Russia-Turkey deal on Syria's Idlib 'was Iran's idea' Press TV 25 Oct 2018 -- (This is the fifth and last news article in the series "Iran's point man on Middle East." To read the fourth, click here; the third, here; the second, here; and the first, here. To read a report of the interview with Hossein Jaberi Ansari, see here.)
- Turkey demands exemption from US sanctions on Iran IRNA 24 Oct 2018 -- Turkey's foreign minister, Mevlut Çavuşoğlu said Ankara had demanded that the United States grant a special exemption to Turkey in pursuit of sanctions against Iran.
- Erdogan says Khashoggi's murder premeditated, demands trial of Saudi suspects in Turkey People's Daily 24 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Tuesday that missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was the victim of a premeditated "brutal murder," while demanding that the Saudi suspects be tried in Turkey.
- Saudi allows Turkey to search well in consul's residence after initial rejection Press TV 24 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has allowed Turkish investigators to search a well in the garden of the Saudi consul general's residence in Istanbul, following an initial refusal by the kingdom's officials, a report says.
- Explosive remarks from Turkey: Mohammed bin Salman has 'blood on his hands' Press TV 24 Oct 2018 -- An adviser to Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has "blood on his hands" in the murder case of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- HRH Crown Prince Makes Telephone Call to Turkish President and Discusses Necessary Steps on Jamal Khashoggi's Case SPA 24 Oct 2018 -- His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince, Vice President of the Council of Ministers, and Minister of Defense, made a telephone call to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of the Republic of Turkey.
- Erdogan's Aide Says Saudi Crown Prince Responsible for Khashoggi's Death Sputnik 24 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud is responsible for the death of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi killed in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkish presidential aide Ilnur Cevik said on Wednesday.
- Turkish Police Receive Permission to Search Well at Saudi Consulate - Reports Sputnik 24 Oct 2018 -- Saudi authorities have granted Turkish police permission to inspect the well in the garden of the residence of the country's general consulate in Istanbul as part of an investigation into the murder of opposition journalist Jamal Khashoggi, NTV reported Wednesday, citing an investigative source.
- Joint US-Turkey Patrols Could Begin in Manbij Over Coming Days – CENTCOM Chief Sputnik 23 Oct 2018 -- Ankara has long been locked in negotiations with Washington over the city of Manbij and other parts of northern Syria under the control of Kurdish forces, seeking to limit their influence.
- Too late to admit journo killing: Turkish FM IRNA 23 Oct 2018 -- Turkish Foreign minister has said on Tuesday that the claim of responsibility for killing Saudi prominent journalist was too late, yet very important.
- Saudi King Says Riyadh to Prosecute Those Responsible For Journo Death - Reports Sputnik 23 Oct 2018 -- Earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan insisted that those responsible for Jamal Khashoggi's death should be tried in Istanbul.
- Pence Confirms CIA Director in Turkey to Review Evidence in Khashoggi Murder Sputnik 23 Oct 2018 -- The director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Gina Haspel, is currently in Turkey to review evidence in connection with the alleged murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, US Vice President Mike Pence confirmed on Tuesday.
- Turkey's Erdogan: Saudi Journalist Khashoggi's Body 'Nowhere to Be Found' Sputnik 23 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addressed members of his AK Party in Parliament on Tuesday. He insisted that those responsible for Jamal Khashoggi's death should be tried in Istanbul, vowing not to "remain silent" about the murder.
- Erdogan: Khashoggi Killing a Premeditated Act VOA 23 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Tuesday that the killing of U.S.-based Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was a premeditated act, and that all those responsible, including whoever ordered the operation, should be punished.
- Turkey says to publicize results of probe into Khashoggi's assassination Press TV 19 Oct 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu announced on Friday that his country will share "with the world" the results of its ongoing probe into the alleged murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi once it is over.
- Khashoggi drama: All the latest updates Press TV 18 Oct 2018 -- Turkish police and forensic investigators have ended their search of the Saudi consul general's residence in Istanbul, with reports saying they have collected "samples" which could be "convincing in terms of evidence" in the case of missing dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Turkish Police Search Saudi Consulate Premises Again in Khashoggi Case Sputnik 18 Oct 2018 -- The newspaper Yeni Safak has reported of having an audio recording indicating the Saudi journalist had been killed inside the consulate, the allegation have been fiercely denied by the Saudi government.
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting With Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan US Dept. of State 17 Oct 2018
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting With Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu US Dept. of State 17 Oct 2018
- Turkish, Saudi investigators enter consul's residence in Istanbul as Khashoggi remains missing Press TV 17 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia and Turkey have reportedly sent investigative teams to inspect the Saudi consul general's residence in the Turkish city of Istanbul, as the kingdom struggles to convince the world that it had nothing to do with the mysterious disappearance of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Missing journalist case: Turkey waiting for permission to search Saudi consul's house Press TV 17 Oct 2018 -- Turkey says it is waiting for an agreement to enter and search the Saudi consul's residence in Istanbul as it continues to investigate the case of dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared after walking into the kingdom's mission there.
- Erdogan Says Saudi Consulate Will Be Searched for Toxic Substances Sputnik 16 Oct 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addressing journalists in Ankara after a Parliament session said that police will search the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul one more time on Tuesday amid investigation into disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Turkish and Saudi Leaders Discuss Khashoggi Disappearance VOA 15 Oct 2018 -- The leaders of Turkey and Saudi Arabia have discussed forming a joint working group to look into the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who went missing October 2 at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
- Turkey suspends almost 260 local officials amid crackdown Press TV 15 Oct 2018 -- Turkey has suspended nearly 260 senior local officials over alleged terror links and activities unrelated to their posts, the interior ministry says.
- Trump Reiterates 'No Deal' with Turkey for Pastor's Release VOA 15 Oct 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has reiterated the United States did not negotiate a deal with Turkey for the release of American pastor Andrew Brunson.
- Turkish police say audio recording shows Khashoggi murdered Press TV 15 Oct 2018 -- Turkish police are reportedly in possession of an audio recording, which allegedly indicates that the missing Saudi dissident journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, was killed at the Saudi consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul, a Turkish official and a security source claim as Saudi Arabia still insists that it has no knowledge whatsoever regarding the fate of its national.
- Saudi king, Turkey's Erdogan discuss Khashoggi case over phone Press TV 15 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia's King Salman and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have discussed the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi as pressure builds up on Riyadh to come clean about the fate of the prominent journalist.
- Body of Vanished Saudi Journalist Might Have Been Dissolved in Acid - Reports Sputnik 15 Oct 2018 -- The Turkish police are currently examining the version alleging that the body of Saudi opposition journalist Khashoggi, who disappeared after entering the Saudi Consulate General in Istanbul, might have been dissolved in acid, the Haberturk TV reported on Monday.
- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques calls Turkish President SPA 14 Oct 2018 -- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud telephoned his brother Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to thank the president for welcoming the kingdom's proposal to form a joint working group to discuss the disappearance of Saudi citizen Jamal Khashoggi.
- Erdogan vows to root out terror nests east of Euphrates IRNA 13 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that Turkey's military could soon launch a new operation across the border into northern Syria, in zones held by a Syrian Kurdish group that Ankara lists as a terrorist organization.
'God willing, very soon ... we will leave the terror nests east of the Euphrates in disarray,' Erdogan said at a military ceremony honoring Turkish commando soldiers, according to hurriyetdailynews.com.
- Turkey orders release of U.S. pastor Brunson detained for alleged terrorism People's Daily 13 Oct 2018 -- A Turkish court decided on Friday to release U.S. cleric Andrew Brunson whose detention for the past two years has sparked a crisis in bilateral ties and also a crash in the Turkish currency lira.
- American Pastor Back In U.S. After Release From Turkish Custody RFE/RL 13 Oct 2018 -- An American evangelical pastor held for two years in Turkey has arrived in the United States, a day after a Turkish court ordered his release despite sentencing him to three years in prison on terrorism-related charges.
- Turkey obtains recordings of Khashoggi's murder: Paper Press TV 13 Oct 2018 -- Turkey has obtained recordings indicating that prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was tortured and killed at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul, a Turkish newspaper reported on Saturday.
- Ankara Blames Saudis for Lack of Cooperation in Probe Into Journo Disappearance Sputnik 13 Oct 2018 -- The Saudi authorities are not cooperating on the investigation into the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and in particular, are not letting Turkish prosecutors to the consulate building, Turkish Foreign Minister said on Saturday.
- Trump: No Deal Made With Turkey on Lifting US Sanctions for Brunson's Release Sputnik 13 Oct 2018 -- American pastor Andrew Brunson has cleared Turkish airspace and is expected to arrive at Joint Base Andrews in the US state of Maryland at noon on Saturday after making a stop in Germany, the pool report said on Friday, citing White House spokesman Judd Deere.e
- Turkish court allows US pastor Brunson to go free Press TV 12 Oct 2018 -- A Turkish court has ordered the release of an American evangelical Christian pastor whose imprisonment sparked a row between Ankara and Washington.
- Official Source Welcomes Turkish Presidency Declaration, in Response to KSA Request, to Form Bilateral Experts' Joint Action Team, to Disclose Merits of Citizen J. Khashoggi's Disappearance SPA 12 Oct 2018 -- A Saudi official source welcomed here tonight, a declaration made by the fraternal Turkish Republic President Office, in Response to a Saudi Request to form up a bilateral expert-level Joint Action Team, to disclose the merits of the Saudi national Jamal bin Ahmed Hamza Khashoggi's disappearance, in the city of Istanbul, Turkey.
- Turkish officials have evidence proving Khashoggi was assassinated: Report Press TV 12 Oct 2018 -- Turkish officials have shared contents of video and audio recordings that reportedly contain evidence supporting claims that a Washington Post contributor was murdered by the Saudi government with the Trump administration.
- Turkish Court Rules To Release U.S. Pastor, Lift Travel Ban RFE/RL 12 Oct 2018 -- A Turkish court has ruled to release American evangelical pastor Andrew Brunson from house arrest despite sentencing him to three years in prison on terrorism-related charges.
- Turkish Court Frees US Pastor Brunson After Two-Year Detention Sputnik 12 Oct 2018 -- The court case of American evangelical pastor Andrew Brunson, who ran Resurrection Church in Turkey for two decades, is over. The pastor has been accused of supporting terrorist groups during a 2016 coup attempt.
- Brunson Released from Prison, Ending US-Turkey Feud VOA 12 Oct 2018 -- A Turkish court on Friday freed American Pastor Andrew Brunson, ending a bitter diplomatic dispute between Washington and Ankara. Brunson was facing 35 years in jail if he had been convicted on terrorism and espionage charges, allegations Washington called baseless.
- Erdogan threatens new incursion into northern Syria Press TV 12 Oct 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has suggested that Turkey could soon launch a new incursion across the border into northern Syria.
- Turkey Claims it Possesses Video Proving Jamal Khashoggi Was Killed - Report Sputnik 12 Oct 2018 -- The Turkish government has informed US officials it has audio and video recordings proving that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, according to a report by The Washington Post.
- Report: Turkey Says it Has Recordings of Saudi Journalist's Killing VOA 11 Oct 2018 -- The Washington Post reported late Thursday that U.S. officials have been informed by the Turkish government that Ankara has audio and video recordings proving that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
- Turkey, Kuwait sign 2019 military cooperation agreement Press TV 11 Oct 2018 -- Turkey and Kuwait have signed a joint defense plan for 2019 aimed at boosting military cooperation between the two Middle Eastern countries.
- Turkey-US Relations at Pivotal Point Amid Speculation on US Pastor VOA 11 Oct 2018 -- Speculation is growing that Turkey could allow American Pastor Andrew Brunson to return to the United States, ending a diplomatic standoff between Ankara and Washington. U.S. President Donald Trump has condemned Brunson's prosecution on terrorism charges.
- Bin Salman ordered operation against Saudi critic Khashoggi: US intel Press TV 11 Oct 2018 -- The Washington Post reports that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman personally ordered an "operation" against government supporter-turned-critic Jamal Khoshoggi, which would see him lured back to the kingdom and arrested.
- Turkey Accepts Saudi Aid to Probe Into Missing Journalist - Reports Sputnik 11 Oct 2018 -- Riyadh called claims and accusations connected with the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi "baseless," vowing to find footage of him leaving the building he allegedly went missing in.
- Erdogan Says Dissatisfied With Saudi Explanations for Journalist Disappearance Sputnik 11 Oct 2018 -- The Turkish authorities are thoroughly investigating the disappearance of Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi and do not find the Saudi authorities' explanations convincing, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated.
- Trump: US Investigators in Turkey Probing Saudi Journalist's Disappearance VOA 11 Oct 2018 -- President Donald Trump said Thursday the U.S. has investigators in Turkey trying to determine what happened to Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, last seen entering Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul last week, but acknowledged his life is imperiled.
- Turkey's Anti-Inflation Moves Unnerve Investors VOA 10 Oct 2018 -- Turkey's finance tsar has declared war on soaring inflation and called on the country's businesses to cut prices.
- Turkish daily reveals identities of Saudis suspected of killing Khashoggi Press TV 10 Oct 2018 -- A Turkish newspaper has published the names and photos of 15 Saudis, including several officials, who are suspected of having assassinated Jamal Khashoggi, a dissident Saudi journalist, in Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul before leaving Turkish soil.
- Missing Saudi journalist killed on order of Riyadh regime, Turkish officials say Press TV 10 Oct 2018 -- High-profile Turkish security officials have concluded that prominent Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who went missing after visiting the kingdom's consulate in Turkey's largest city of Istanbul last week, was assassinated in the diplomatic mission on orders from the highest levels of the Riyadh regime.
- Trump Phones Senior Saudi Leaders Over Missing Journalist RFE/RL 10 Oct 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said he spoke with a senior Saudi leader about Jamal Khashoggi, the dissident journalist and Washington Post contributor who disappeared from a Saudi consulate in Turkey last week.
- Top Trump Officials Talk With Saudi Crown Prince About Missing Journalist VOA 10 Oct 2018 -- The White House said Wednesday that top Trump administration officials have spoken to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman about the mysterious disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, whom Turkish officials say they believe was murdered last week inside Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul.
- Turkey agrees to increase water supplies to ease Iraqi shortages Press TV 10 Oct 2018 -- The Iraqi parliament speaker says Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has agreed to increase releases of water from Turkey's Ilisu Dam on the Tigris River to neighboring Iraq, which is suffering from water shortages.
- Turkey 'Saber-Rattling' on US-Backed Militia in Syria VOA 09 Oct 2018 -- Turkey is threatening to eradicate the People's Protection Units (YPG) militia in Syria. But such a move would put it on a collision course with the United States, which backs the Syrian Kurdish group as a key ally in the war against Islamic State and curtailing Iran's influence.
- Erdogan urges EU to be sincere about Turkish membership Press TV 09 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on the European Union (EU) to demonstrate sincerity about his country's accession to the 28-member politico-economic bloc.
- Turkey arrests 90 over 'links to Kurdish militants' in several provinces Press TV 09 Oct 2018 -- Turkey has detained 90 people over suspected ties to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in simultaneous operations conducted across eight provinces.
- Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to Be Searched After Journalist Disappears - Ankara Sputnik 09 Oct 2018 -- On Friday, Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman announced that he was ready to grant Turkish authorities permission to search for the missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi within the diplomatic facility.
- Pompeo Urges Saudi Govt to Support a Thorough Probe Into Khashoggi Disappearance Sputnik 09 Oct 2018 -- The United States urged Saudi Arabia to ensure that a thorough investigation is conducted into the vanishing of a prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, US State Secretary Mike Pompeo said in a statement on Monday.
- Independent inquiry needed into suspected 'enforced disappearance' of Saudi journalist: UN rights office UN News 09 Oct 2018 -- The "apparent enforced disappearance" of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi who was last seen reportedly visiting his country's consulate in Istanbul last week, requires a full investigation involving both Turkey and Saudi Arabia, the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said on Tuesday.
- Turkey to Search Saudi Consulate in Missing Saudi Journalist Case VOA 09 Oct 2018 -- Turkey's Foreign Ministry says authorities will search Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul in connection with the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- US Urges Transparent Investigation Into Disappearance of Saudi Journalist VOA 09 Oct 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has called on Saudi Arabia to support a thorough, transparent investigation into the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who has not been seen since entering the country's consulate in Istanbul last week.
- Pompeo calls on Saudi Arabia to back 'thorough investigation' into missing journalist Press TV 09 Oct 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has called on Saudi Arabia to back a "thorough investigation" into the disappearance of prominent Saudi dissident and journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who went missing after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last week.
- Turkey vows to put on trial all, including Saudi officials, tied to Khashoggi case Press TV 09 Oct 2018 -- An advisor to Turkey's president has vowed that the country will prosecute all those involved in the suspected kidnapping or murder of a dissident Saudi journalist in Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul, even if it involves the Saudi consul himself.
- Journalist Jamal Khashoggi US Dept. of State 08 Oct 2018
- Russia, Turkey Determine Borders of Idlib Demilitarized Zone - Official Sputnik 08 Oct 2018 -- Russia and Turkey have determined the borders of the demilitarized zone in Syria's Idlib, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Vershinin told Sputnik in an interview.
- Ankara Eyes Syria Reconstruction to Boost Crisis-Hit Economy VOA 08 Oct 2018 -- Turkey's hosting of a four-nation Syrian summit later this month is a diplomatic win for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. With Syria's reconstruction, a key item of the planned meeting of French, Russia and German leaders, Erdogan will be looking to strengthen Turkey's hand in the predicted building bonanza.
- Turkey's Erdogan says Saudis 'must prove' Khashoggi's exit from consulate Press TV 08 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Saudi Arabia's consulate must "prove" that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi made exit from the mission, a week after the ill-fated journo was reported as missing a few hours after entering the Arab kingdom's consulate in Istanbul.
- Khashoggi's disappearance at Saudi consulate: A timeline Press TV 08 Oct 2018 -- With about a week after the disappearance of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, his case is still shrouded in a veil of mystery.
- Turkey Wants Riyadh to Help Investigate Disappearance of Saudi Journalist VOA 08 Oct 2018 -- Turkey sought permission Monday from Saudi Arabia to search Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul, looking for clues to the disappearance of a Saudi Arabian journalist whom Turkish officials have concluded was murdered inside the diplomatic outpost.
- Turkish Officials Believe Missing Journalist Killed In Saudi Consulate RFE/RL 07 Oct 2018 -- Turkey's president says he is awaiting a final report by prosecutors investigating the death of a Saudi journalist who died under mysterious circumstances in Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul.
- Official at Saudi consulate in Istanbul dismesses report that Saudi citizen Jamal Kashoggi was killed in consulate in Istanbul SPA 07 Oct 2018 -- An official at the Consulate General of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul dismessed the report by Reuters, which cited Turkish officials, that Saudi citizen Jamal Kashoggi was killed in the Consulate in Istanbul. The official strongly denounced these baseless allegations, and expressed his doubt that they came from Turkish officials that are informed of the investigation or are authorized to comment on the issue.
- Turkish Police Believe Disappeared Saudi Journalist Killed - Reports Sputnik 07 Oct 2018 -- Turkish police reportedly believe that the prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who disappeared earlier after visiting the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul Tuesday had been killed.
- Saudi Crown Prince to Allow Turkey to Search Consulate for Missing Journalist Sputnik 05 Oct 2018 -- The day before, Saudi Arabia's envoy to Ankara was summoned to the Turkish Foreign Ministry over the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. He stated that he had no information about the missing journalist.
- Consulate General of the Kingdom in Istanbul says that it is following up what was reported in the media about the disappearance of citizen Jamal Khashoggi after leaving the consulate building .. and confirms that it is carrying out follow-up and coordination with the Turkish authorities to disclose the circumstances of his disappearance SPA 04 Oct 2018 -- The Consulate General of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul said that it was following up on the media reports of the disappearance of Saudi citizen Jamal Khashoggi after he left the building of the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
- Treasury Designates Company in Turkey for Attempting To Trade Arms and Luxury Goods with North Korea US Treasury 04 Oct 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today announced North Korea-related designations, continuing the implementation of existing UN and U.S. sanctions. Today's action against one entity and three individuals designates a company in Turkey for its attempts to circumvent sanctions on goods that have long been prohibited by UN Security Council (UNSC) resolutions. This action reinforces the United States' ongoing commitment to implement decisions of the UNSC.
- High-profile Kurdish PKK terrorist 'neutralized' in southeastern Turkey Press TV 04 Oct 2018 -- Turkish security forces have "neutralized" a high-ranking member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a counter-terrorism operation in the country's southeastern province of Mardin.
- PKK bomb attack hits SE Turkey, kills 7 soldiers Press TV 04 Oct 2018 -- At least seven Turkish soldiers have lost their lives in a bombing by Kurdish militants that targeted a military convoy in the country's southeastern Batman Province.
- Turkey parliament renews mandate for troop deployment in Syria, Iraq Press TV 04 Oct 2018 -- Turkey's parliament has approved a motion to extend for another year the state's authority to launch cross-border operations in neighboring Iraq and Syria.
- Erdogan: Turkey Taking Steps With Russia Against Radical Groups in Syria Sputnik 02 Oct 2018 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has stated that he will continue to seek a solution with the Syrian people, not the Syrian Government, stressing that he has never taken incorrect measures in the country.
- US, Turkish forces begin training for joint patrols in Syria's Manbij: Mattis Press TV 02 Oct 2018 -- US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says units from the Turkish and US militaries have started training for joint patrols near Syria's northern town of Manbij, which has been a source of tension between the two NATO allies for months.
- Turkey asks Germany to extradite 136 people with 'terror links' Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Turkey has called on Germany to extradite 136 people with suspected links to groups that played a key role in orchestrating the July 2016 coup attempt against the government in Ankara.
- Turkish court jails Gulen's brother for over 10 years Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The brother of the US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of having masterminded the mid-July 2016 coup attempt, has been jailed for more than 10 years.
- US threats of imposing sanctions on Iran 'unjust': Turkey's Erdogan Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has slammed as unjust the United States' move to impose sanctions against Iran and threaten to further toughen them.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list